“DUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Review of Hotel Kaoba

Hotel Kaoba
Ranked #20 of 29 Cabarete B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 May 2012

The place does not look like the pictures. I do not need a lot to make me happy. Three guys booked a week here and left after three days. Lost our money but at least we didn't have to stay in this hole. Mangy dogs walking around. Pool umbrellas were 20 years old(cant buy new ones?). Holes in the wall in our room. We stayed in first room up the stairs. People were very rude. Not sure what language they spoke but it wasn't English or Spanish. The management all looked alike I assume they are family. The breakfast was gross(how do mess up eggs?)Complete dump!

Room Tip: Don't go here
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank cafenit
There are newer reviews for Hotel Kaoba

Reviewed 23 May 2012

Was in Cabarete for some R & R and at 30us a night I could not pass this place up. There is a bar in the lobby and the beach is across the street, what else can you ask for.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 November 2011

I stayed at the hotel from Nov 12-17, 2011 . My stay was great. I loved the lay back -casual atmosphere.
On previous trips I had stayed at all inclusive, and wanted to try a regular hotel. The rooms were clean daily. Front desk personnel were polite and helpful.
The pool was great - it was quiet and clean. The breakfast special is good . The bar with internet cafe is cool. I plan to refer my friend here and I plan to visit and stay again in the next few months.

Room Tip: The rooms to the front - even though I read in a review that they were nosy- this was not my case. G...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Frank A
Reviewed 10 April 2011

The hotel's website looked fine... we needed a place to stay that was reasonable in price. As soon as i walked into the lobby and saw the surly drunk old men and the hookers hanging out at the restaurant's bar, i knew we were in trouble. The pool looked like a swamp and you couldn't pay me to swim in there. The room's might have had charm the first day this place opened but were run down, worn and just dingy. We didn't even end up staying the night, but instead hailed a cab and had him take us around the town to find somewhere else to go that night!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Crash2001
kaobaman, Manager at Hotel Kaoba, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2011

We have webcams live for the pool and for the bar since years.
You will see that the pool is not a swamp and that the bar is really quiet with old drunk men and hookers as you wrote in your report.
I don't know what room that you had but the economic one is the bungalow. The bungalow is rustic and very simple and for the rate of usd 30 for 2 persons, you cannot ask for more.
We have different types of room and if you pay a little bit more, you will see that we have some nice rooms.
I don't know why you put everything is bad in the hotel as, by instance, we have one of the best location in cabarete center.

Reviewed 26 March 2011

I have traveled and I also work with a five star resort team in the states. When I go on vacation my search does start with 5 star resorts or hotels. Has to be different, inexpensive, small in size and a great location. Ah! The Kaoba Hotel. Has some character and great staff.
Simple, basic and an excellent location. I'm on vacation, I do not spend my time in a hotel room, I follow the sun, time at the pool and always get the time for the resturant and bar. Kaoba is a haven for gueats from all corners of this world. Local resturants offer anything your eating habits cater to and the night life is electric. Good things do come in small packages! Johnny

Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Johnny8787
Reviewed 7 June 2010

We stayed at Hotel Kaoba two different times and I would definately recommend checking out a room or two BEFORE you commit to staying the night! The quality and cleanliness of the rooms varies greatly! You have to pay for your stay upfront, so make sure you really want to stay here before you pay!

The front desk staff are not very friendly, but don't let this put you off. The hotel is located at the start of the town of Cabarete and is a 3 minute walk to the beach and a 1 minute walk to the restaurants, shops and other things. You can take a public carro or taxi from Sosua right to the hotel (just ask the driver to let you off at the hotel).

Make sure you ask to see a few rooms before you commit to staying here. The first time we were given a dark and dingy room that smelled very musty and the bathroom was not very clean. The second time we stayed in a much nicer room, which was cleaner and had a nice balcony, it was right by the pool and the bathroom was clean.

There is a mini-fridge in the rooms and some have closets or places to hang your clothes. There are no TVs or air conditioning.

There is a pool which is a great place to hang out and meet other people - it closes at 10pm though, so it is not noisy to sleep.

For the price ($RD 1000 a night) it is good value.

There is a great little bakery-breakfast place just up the road - turn right when you leave the hotel. Cross the street. Walk straight till you see Reposteria Dick on your left hand side. It is always busy and has VERY good breakfast for a very good price, they have tables inside and out. They also sell all kinds of breads and baked goods to take home-- -they are always busy, which is a good sign!

The town of Cabarete is a little seedy and at night there is a lot of prostitution. We just hung out at the beach during the day - great for long walks - watched the kite surfers and then at night we went for dinner to Pomodoros (a great Italian place on the beach) and went back to the hotel early. The nightlife here is very seedy.

I would recommend this hotel for its good value, good location -- just make sure you see a room or two first!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Canadianmuneca
Reviewed 28 March 2010

I booked a room with this hotel and it was below standard so I requested a better room. I had wanted a/c and a tv. The room they showed me the air conditioner didn't work. So they took me to another room, in which the a/c also didn't work. Finally, I was shown a fourth room that had a separate bedroom in which the a/c worked but in the main room and bathroom the a/c didn't work. The front desk person helping me had to keep going back downstairs behind the front desk to find the right a/c remote that would work and keep changing batteries out from one remote to the next. It would seem easier to have them all stocked with batteries and the right remotes kept in the rooms themselves. Really an inefficient system. I was assured someone would come fix the a/c that night but no one showed up. Also, a light bulb in the room was out and I didn't find it the cleanest hotel in the world, and also noticed that each room was missing either washcloths or a bathroom floor towel in each bathroom. The only good thing I noticed was that the hotel was in a good location of town.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabarete
Hotel Villa Taina
#9 of 40 in Puerto Plata
Millennium Resort & Spa
Millennium Resort & Spa
#3 of 22 in Cabarete

Been to Hotel Kaoba? Share your experiences!