“Tris place was HORRIBLE!”
Review of Hotel Kaoba

Hotel Kaoba
Ranked #20 of 30 Cabarete B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 May 2014

This was such a horrible experience I don't even know where to start. First we are greeted by a bunch of motorist outside asking us for money the minute we get out of the car. When we walked into the lobby there were at least 3 street dogs laying on the floor, very disturbing since these dogs did not look like pets. There were also locals(sweaty) sitting in the lobby hanging out with the receptionist. The whole aura of the place is just very dirty and unsafe.

We were looking forward to jumping in the pool and just relaxing but to our surprise the picture of this pool could not be farther from the truth. The water was BROWN and the pool walls well all stained. If you look carefully at the pictures you can see they tried to cover it up. DONT be fooled! The hotel was empty and they gave us a room so far we couldn't even remember the way back.

The rooms were small, dirty, smelled bad(humidity), our TV and AC in both rooms didn't work. The lights went out at night on our way to our room and there were no back up lights. The room had no screen protectors so you couldn't open the balcony and it also connected to all rooms on that floor.

We were denied a cup of ice, there was no one from management available other than a "security guard" after nine.

So many things went wrong I'd be here all night. We got up and left first thing in the morning since we almost got robbed too in front of the hotel. Basically DONT GO THERE!

Room Tip: Room ACs don't all work
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Iva V

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Hotel Kaoba is exactly what they advertise it as. A very affordable, comfortable stay, right in the heart of Cabarete. It is NOT luxurious, it is NOT beachfront, and it is NOT perfect. What it is is very clean, very hospitable, and VERY inexpensive. The staff was very helpful in spite of my poor Spanish skills. The rooms were comfortable and secure. The pool area, lobby and restaurant/bar were all very well kept and the staff was friendly and helpful. We will definitely return to Kaoba and I highly recommend it for anyone traveling with a family or a group.

Room Tip: The rooms in the main building above the lobby and the restaurant seemed to be the best.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank FLSurfDad
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Not a 5 star hotel but good value for the money. Location is close to many excellent restaurants and beach. Staff is friendly and pool is well maintained. The rooms in the building at the rear of the complex are away from any street noise.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Fraser H
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I tried leaving a review prior to this one, and was asked to modify it. I will go forth with my honest review of this hotel:

1. Staff needs more training, and professionalism. Owner/manager was a bit condescending and rude. I like the woman that works in the restaurant in the morning she was very nice. Also Jolenny at front desk, (the only two people that helped me the entire time and were nice).
2. Management needs to take the needs of the clients more seriously. We pay you to stay there, and we expect standards to be met for what is advertised.
3. Please update your amenities listed on websites to reflect current situations, such as laundry not being available-restaurant only serves breakfast not brk/lunch/dinner.
4. The photos online looked amazing, until I got there...I was checked initially into a room that had many broken items and looked dirty. Upon complaining i was upgraded to another room (when someone checked out) the other room was bigger and a little cleaner. however it still had some issues...5 days into my 9 day stay some issues were resolved in room (a.c. cleaned and fixed, room deep cleaned, etc). The hotel has several dogs that live there so be careful where you walk as i almost stepped in dog poo on the patio (i love animals, but please clean after them especially in a setting with guests)
5. security on my first night there was rude to me (JUNIOR) he was not letting me up to my room with my guest which I paid for prior to checking in (2 people to the room). He claimed he was security as well as front desk, yet he couldn't get on computer to access the verification of my booking and literally was telling me to wait until TOMORROW when it was late in the night and I just wanted to go up to sleep. (For what its worth I didn't see him again after that evening, so maybe my complaint worked)
6. Majority of the staff there was friendly and smiled and seemed courteous, however some did not speak english and or understand when i spoke in conversational spanish struggling to get a message across...I understand that I was in DR, but someone there should have been able to speak both languages to assist guests. I needed things that were simple, and a young lady in training smiled and said OK every time yet never did what I asked of her...or if she tried she didn't know how to.
7. I was told by my uncle that he called the hotel to check on me and they told him i was asleep. Not only is this unusual considering theres no way for them to know I was asleep, but they never gave me a message that I received a call. had that been an emergency I would never have known until i randomly called my uncle to say hello days later.
8. One receptionist that was very sweet and helped me a lot (whenever she was on shift) was jolenny, I give her personally 5 stars...
9. If you are looking to go to the bar, save your pesos and walk three blocks over to where the restaurants and nightlife are... the drinks are way better and more economic
10. the swimming pool: Apparently despite the fact that the pool is allegedly cleaned every morning at 8am (according to owner) my experience was not relevant enough for him to care. I expressed that I went to pool and when I walked around and looked I saw green stuff growing inside pool like moss??.. then I went in to still give a shot..and there was a huge iguana in the pool on the floor of pool, also what looked like cake or something on the pool steps (under water) ..moments before that I was told there were no pool towels (no one ever found me to give me a towel...days later i gave up and went to the beach instead)
11. I could go on but the point here is I stayed a week and a half, and it seemed as if every request i had wasn't met and if it was it was after a struggle or an argument because nobody wanted to be helpful...the only great thing about this place is the price of $51 a night if you just need a spot to stay at in a hurry and don't care about the service this is for you. Also the wifi in rooms works or i would have lost my mind!. The location is close to everything that is in the center of that town, walking distance.
12. oh yeah, don't count on making any calls into the US from front desk for an emergency because the girl at desk doesn't know how to connect you!...I had to go get a phone from CLARO store and buy minutes just to call my doctor and my bank for urgent call.

I NEVER write a negative review, this is simply honest and to the point. I hope it helps those traveling. I have photos but I will load them when I have the time, water damage to ceilings, dirty telephone, lizards in rooms, iguana in pool, etc..
-J

Room Tip: If you stay here, select the rooms that are upstairs (the suites) do not select the small rooms on s...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
7  Thank Jackie_JDM
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Stay in the apartments in the main building, not in the bungalows behind the pool. They are much nicer and quieter. Great location just steps from the beach, stores and restaurants. Cleaning lady was rude but that's probably because she was working on new years day. Overall worth the prime location.

Room Tip: Stay in the apartments!!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank kmarino87
Reviewed 3 February 2014

So, this place was pretty cheap, only a 2 minute walk from the beach. The rooms were okay, nothing to brag home about, and my particular room had an adjoining balcony. The sliding glass door for this room had no lock so I had to pray no one would enter my room and steal my things. There's tons of young (17-20) prostitutes in this area, that frequent this hotel since it's so cheap to stay here, with old European men. Definitely not a place you'd want to stay with your kids because you'd have some explaining to do. This is a good spot for young adults with a limited budget that want to be near a party beach or for some bachelors that are looking to have a good time. Other than that...it's not good enough or appropriate enough for decent people that want a nice vacation experience.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Samantha M
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Really cheap hotel but it is not worth it. Go somewhere else. Rooms need heavy maintenance. Window nets were broken, water was dropping down on my head in bathroom, broken ellectric sockets, no hot water. A/C worked.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple