“not that good.....”

Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Cabarete
huddersfield england
“not that good.....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

the food is poor, at one point they didn't even have coke or pepsi! there were no other visitors but us so quiet was ok but became boring ! the food was crap really bad and there was no entertainment. no internet access. nothing really just a waste of money! and we didn't ask for much!!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank kimnco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013

This Celuisma location is rustic adventure that's great for travelers (not tourists), island explorers and couples who want a quiet getaway. It had a honest island vibe that was different the most of the other resorts we visited, definatly a sleep-a-way camp for papered shut in's, buffet line tourists, or large annoying families occupying the pool.

The Celuisma is way different and had less occupancy then then their sister location in, Puerto Plata, which we also enjoyed. Came for a Kiteboarding contest in Cabarete Beach. Their guest director was very accommodating, kitchen staff prepared awesome meals, our room was large with its own porch, No problems with the staff and made friends quickly with other other fellow guests, they were all european travelers.

The down side, its not too close the the main strip, but we had scooters there is a moto rentals is right outside the hotel. No internet. No fitness center. Not the most exciting beach, but the pools and cabanas were great. No phones in the rooms. It's not the most modern resort in comparison to others but, thats what I enjoyed about it. I don't think its for everybody but, it was well worth the price and I got the best sleep of my life at this location.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Karitakon
The Hague, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

This hotel is fine. The rooms are really clean, the staff is friendly and the outdoor spaces are really nice. The hotel is right on the beach (which is very clean). This hotel is on the atlantic coast (check a map before you book!), this means that this is great for watersports, kitesurfing, scuba diving, etc. If you want the carribean experience of white beaches and crystal clear water, go to the south. I'm just mentioning this cause I see a lot of comments of (pardon me), extremely ignorant travellers that apperantly did not check a map before they booked a vacation here. I came to kite surf, so for me this was perfect.

The only things that put me off a bit:
- The hotel indeed is far from Cabarete. It is NOT a nice walk along side the road to the city center (no sidewalk) and walking over the beach is not optimal either since you have to climb over certain obstacles.
- The rooms are a little outdated (nothing really bad - it just looks a bit old).
- The bathrooms are truly horrible. It leaks and the ceiling is very moist and full of rust. This causes rust to leak on the floor, stains the towels, etc. which gives a disgusting look to the bathroom (apart from the ceiling itself).
- The food is so-so, the buffet is small but the quality is generally fine. I stayed for a week and I did find they could use a little more variety here and there. Also often had meats and or chicken where they seemed to serve really bad parts (not tender, more bones than meat, etc.).

Overall, I had a pleasent time there. I do think with some minor changes the hotel could significantly improve. Think of a free shuttle service to Cabarete, fix up the bathrooms and perhaps rennovate the rooms / lobby a bit.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank goldeen188633
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

We just returned from a week here at this resort, there were 6 of us in our group.
We arrived at the resort late at night, and we were starving but they don't offer food after 10 so the manager offered to drive us into Caberete and we returned with a pizza and sandwiches.
The rest of our stay was amazing!
The entertainment staff were great, very friendly, and helpful and always had activities going on.
The beach was nice, always chairs and shade to lay by. The ocean was a bit rough, but it was perfect for what we wanted because we learned how to surf and took kite boarding lessons while we were here
A half hour walk down the beach took you to an amazing food place called La Boca Grill where they cook you fresh seafood like lobster, parrot fish, and crab. The people were fantastic! and cost us only $78 for 6 of us to eat and was 10X better than red lobster at home
The food at the resort was not bad, very average, and had theme nights as well as an a la carte dinner. Only thing that was hard was not having snacks past 10pm.
The rooms were great, clean, air conditioning and hot water in the showers
A trip to town was only $10 and they had great food, shopping, beaches and nightlife.
The excursions we booked were also Fabolous! We did zip line with horseback riding, carnival, and had a dinner show at ocean world with casino afterwards.
I would recommend this place for anyone who likes small resorts, is not overly picky, and likes to explore and learn about new cultures. Or if you like kite boarding and surfing then Caberete is the number 1 place to go

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank countrygirl379
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2013

The manager was too important to speak directly with me preferring to play with his phone when i had to complain about the shower not working or the loo being blocked,however the staff were lovely. They were lovely but very young and inexperienced. The food was good if limited though the bar was poorly stocked. The young staff tried hard to put on entertainment but it was very much school level stuff. There are two nice pools with cold "hot tubs" but the hotel beach just steps from the restaurant was very nice.
I know money is tight the hotel was maybe 10/15 percent full but they need to improve standards.

• Stayed January 2013

Travellers are raving about these Cabarete hotels

Victoria Harbour
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

We visited this hotel feb 2012 and were very disappointed in services. We are not hard to please but they were continuously out of things at the bar. One day no ice, another no limes. Another no beer etc. drink selection limited with only 8 fancy drinks to choose from. Buffet had theme nights but was just average. Salad bar small and limited.Beach rough. Rooms were good. Resort clean. But I would not return here on a vacation because it was just an ok place to stay. Had coworker who just returned from there and half way through their 2 weeks they asked to move to another hotel. His comments were the Same so it looks like things have not improved in a year.

The pluses were very friendly rec staff who always kept things lively. Could always get a chair at pool. Small hotel which made it easy to meet people.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cobaltgirl44
LA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2012

The hotel seemed to be priced better than the competition and the reasons became clear soon after arrival. The hotel is located very far from the center of Cabarete ($10 cab ride) and at night it is a scary journey back down dark unlit roads. The room was peeling and cracking and badly in need of updating. The breakfast was decent. Had I known what I now know, I would have stayed somewhere else. I thought I was saving money but I nearly lost my mind.

Room Tip: Just say no.