All reviewsbeautiful long beachhome away from homeair conditioningbang for your bucksmall hotelpetersupermarketnightlifebreeze
Reviewed 7 July 2012

We rented the two bedroom apartment for our week's visit to family in the Dominican Republic. It was hot in June, but the AC in the bedrooms was terrific so we slept comfortably, and ceiling fans in the other rooms kept things nice. We had two family parties and the staff helped us to get a fire going in the outdoor fireplace for cooking, and the beach is an easy walk away. The yard was lovely with falling almonds and blossoms and a nice hammock and shaded porch and space for the 19 month old and his 8 year old cousin to explore in. One evening we enjoyed John's barbecued babyback ribs, and other times we cooked as the apartment had all the pots and pans etc we would need. Good food in the town was also not far away either. One day Rafael helped us to organize a little cave swim adventure at the nearby National Park which was fun and very refreshing. Others went to the 28 waterfalls a bit farther away and reported that it was terrific. The Alegria was just right for our family, everyone was very friendly and I hope we can come again before long.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank trudyfingerlakes_NY
Reviewed 28 June 2012

home away from home, and going back again, this will be our 4th year staying at the Alegria. and enjoy every stay. it is quiet, clean and hot water. and kia the dog is a friendly site.
it is close to the grocery store, access to the beach. if you were any closer to the bars, you would not sleep at night.
staff and owner are very accomidating and welcome you there. very private and safe, location.
see you in february.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank mavis k
Reviewed 27 May 2012

The location of this hotel was excellent for anyone who wants to be in front of the ocean but not in the middle of all the restaurants and resorts. The hotel is a little rustic but comfortable. The exercise area and hot tub was a joke so if you are looking for resort-type amenities, this is not your place, however the location made up for everything. Even though the ocean view rooms are nice, there are some palm trees in front of the balcony that obscure the view. We still enjoyed our room.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2012

After traveling for a few days in the Dominican Republic with my friend Peter, he insisted that we visit the Hotel Alegria for dinner. The ambiance, service and meal were wonderful. The price for it all made it taste and smell even better. That was quite a feat itself because the food was sublime.

Peter and I had the grilled Dorado Fish, which was fresh and flavorful because it had been caught that day. Peter's entree came with mixed vegetables, tomato salsa and mango chutney. I enjoyed the coconut rice and mixed vegetables with my mango chutney. Pete had a couple of Presidente Beers and I had a rum and coke.

The entire meal ended with Mamajuana drinks. This is a home-made brew of mamajuana spices, honey, rum and red wine. It was fabulous and put plenty of wind in your sales.

John, the restaurant manager and Peter Orr the hotel owner-manager were wonderful hosts and I believe I made a couple of friends along my journey. I will definitely travel all the way from Kansas City to eat, drink, laugh and enjoy a tasty slice of life again. It was definitely worth the trip.

Good luck to all and I will see you again real soon.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Gillies W
Reviewed 15 May 2012

I came here with four girlfriends for a spring break/bachelorette type trip and it was a great mix of everything we wanted - direct beach access; proximity to restaurants, bars, and nightlife, iand cheap but cute accomodations! John was fantastic and made us feel very welcome. The beach isn't pristine and it was a little cooler and more overcast than we would have liked, but we still managed to get sunburned! This is a hub for kiteboarding/wind surfing but we didn't try it, just drank margartias on the beach and chatted. Overall a very fun vacation.

Room Tip: We loved our huge two bedroom villa, which fit all five of us comfortably. There was a full kitchen, living area and outdoor patio with hammock. Everything is a little run down but was perfect for what we needed it to be!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family