All reviews air conditioning sliding glass bang for your buck small hotel ceiling fan grocery store peter jacuzzi beach breeze kitchenette
Reviewed 23 December 2012

It's a lil place located behind hotel sans souci, yesterday was my 4th times in 2 months in this hotel .
Highly recommended my dear travelers ?
Over there you gonna meet the friendly guy by the name of John :) .

Date of stay: December 2012
Trip type: Travelled with friends
4  Thank SoumahoM
Reviewed 27 November 2012

It's close to the supermarket and the Cabarete bay beach, which you can access through an alley behind a property next door. It's very close to the main road but my friend and i had an ocean view room so noise from outside to sleep was never a problem. AC worked, the small fridge worked and tv worked. hot water was reliable except one time. The furniture was worn out but whatever i was expecting that. What really bothered me was that on the first day the water from the toilet, sink and shower was coming out yellow with dirt. I didn't complain but it was fixed by evening though I hated that!!! Talked a bit with some of the staff and they were friendly, didn't talk much with the owner. Over all it was alright staying there for a couple of nights, not sure if I would come back but who knows...

Date of stay: November 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Tomboii
AlegriaOwner, Owner at Hotel Alegria, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2012

We apologize to the guests who experienced muddy water that day. The water company made a major repair on the main water line that day, and we and all the other establishments effected had to put up with a lot of sediment until it cleared out.

Reviewed 15 September 2012

I have been to Cabarete the whole August 2012. I spent 4 weeks at Hotel Alegria and it was a really good decision: nice, clean and cool rooms, a friendly and quiet atmosphere. During my vacation I had to do some computer work, which was no problem at all because the hotel really has a great wifi connection there. Beautiful beach directly in front of the hotel. I also had luck with the hotel's kite school, called "Waterpassion". I took lessons there and I must really say that I have hardly seen a more engaged instructor anywhere else than Giuseppe from Waterpassion. He still gets wet instead of just instructing from the dry sands...

To put it into a nutshell: Perfect place for a vacation and especially for those who need a quiet place where they can do some internet work if needed.

Greetings to my bros Pepi and John, looking forward to see you guys again!

Chris

Date of stay: August 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank cmf900
Reviewed 10 August 2012

I stayed in Hotel Alegria, Cabarete with my girlfriend for 2 nights after reading reviews on TripAdvisor. For $50 USD per night, it was a great value for our ocean view room (unit 33). The room had all we needed: AC, refrigerator (bottled water included at no charge), private bathroom and shower, queen sized bed with clean sheets and pillows, a place to hang up clothes, a dresser with drawers, tv with cable, and a large ocean view balcony with a table and chairs. We were more than comfortable in our unit. The hotel also had a bar and restaurant downstairs with a good menu and fair prices. I believe there was also a jacuzzi although we never used it. The owner and manager were very nice and were willing to assist us with anything that we needed. In addition, the staff was very friendly and was able to arrange mototaxis if needed. I will definitely stay at Hotel Alegria during my next visit to Cabarete. They do not have their own water supply so make sure not to drink the tap water or even brush your teeth with it. Used bottled water to prevent getting a case of the runs. This is typical in the DR so no need to worry. I loved this place and will definitely visit again.

Room tip: Unit 33 was great. It was just what we wanted at a fantastic value.
Date of stay: August 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank W0rldTraveler954
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Wow! What to say... We went to Cabarete for our Honeymoon and stayed at Hotel Alegria on the recommendation of a friend. Our friend also recommended a newer, fancier, more expensive property at the end of the beach. We choose Hotel Alegria because it looked small and quite with a lot of character. Our friend also told us that the family and people who ran the hotel were great people.

Hotel Alegria did not disappoint. I have read some of the reviews on here that speak poorly of the furnishings, televisions, staff, ect. We didn't experience any of this. The room was exactly what you need for a stay on the beach. Tile floors and bathroom to keep things cool, clean shower with hot and cold water and great pressure, nice patio with furniture for enjoying evenings outside, safe (just in case), TV (never used because we were at the BEACH) and fridge. The bed was big, comfortable and clean. The linens were nice and well kept. Our room was cleaned daily and cleaned well.

We were impressed with the proximity to the beach and quite location. Hotel Alegria is close enough to the action to be fun and far enough away to not be loud. Plenty of dining options nearby and the super market is so close you could crawl there and back. We could see and smell the ocean from our room. No, it was not some expansive view from the top of some cliff, but it was a view and a great one. The grounds are well maintained and very well shaded for the hot days. We used the rooftop deck almost daily. It was the perfect place to go read. We never used the gym preferring to get our exercise in the ocean or on the beach. The hot tub was clean and worked well although it was a little too hot out for much of a soak.

We were there during the slow season. John, the Chef, was kind enough to prepare meals for us even though the restaurant was for the most part, closed. The food was delicious and well prepared. The Bar/Restaurant is where we spent most evenings sharing great conversation and laughs.

Most important are the people. People are what make a place, a trip, a vacation. The staff and people we met at Hotel Alegria were great people. We love meeting new and interesting people in our travels and at Hotel Alegria we met people we will call friends for life. I think the people who have stated they have had a poor experience with the staff aren't being completely honest with how they acted or act. A little common courtesy, friendliness and an open mind go a long way. We were made to feel like part of a family at Hotel Alegria and for that reason alone we'll continue to go back as often as we can.

Be honest with yourself when making your decision to stay at Hotel Alegria. It may not be right for you, just like the larger beach resorts and fancy hotels are not for us. It is a beautiful place, that we feel, was everything as described and more. We felt at home and part of a home. The experiences we created at this place are ones we'll remember for life.

If you love meeting people with incredible stories and energy, this place is for you. If you enjoy spending your vacation as part of the culture and place your in, this place is for you. If you are looking for a peaceful, low-key retreat, this place is for you. If you want not only a vacation but an experience, this place is for you.

Sorry if this is a little wordy or weird. We really didn't want to write a review but thought we owed it to Hotel Alegria and it's staff for helping us create such a memorable journey.

Room tip: We would recommend the ocean view rooms not only because of the view but because they are a little cooler as well with the breeze. Our room had A/C which was nice.
Date of stay: July 2012