“Roach Motel...Literally.”

Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Cabarete
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Roach Motel...Literally.”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I stayed at the Hotel Alegria a couple months back. I was with a group, and four of us were placed in room 15. I'm unsure what the other rooms are like, but this one was awful. Four twin beds, all in one room, no air conditioning (which I can handle), very old style bedding and decor. The vanity in the bathroom was falling apart. The drawers were all broken. The shower was dirty. I flipped on the bathroom light in the middle of the night, and 3 roaches were on the bathroom floor. I could hardly stand to sleep in this room, and wore flip-flops in the shower. Luckily, I had all of my belongings separated in zip-lock bags within my luggage. I suggest you do the same, if you stay here, to avoid bringing any "friends" back home with you.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
AlegriaOwner, Owner at Hotel Alegria, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Well that review certainly stung, but it did point out a couple of things we had overlooked in the large studio where the group stayed. We recently replaced 3 bathroom vanities where the drawers were not working properly due to warping from the humidity with custom made mahogany vanities. We evidently missed the vanity in the large studio and will remedy that right away. The report of the roaches in the bathroom was so unique in our experience or the experience of our guests, we investigated and found that the shower drain in that ground floor room was missing a trap that would prevent an insect from entering through the drain. That is being remedied as well.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Hotel Alegria is perfectly located- just a few minutes beach walk from all of the restaurants and bars on Cabarete beach (and right next door to Janet's supermarket). The hotel's private courtyard, 24/7 concierege (always very friendly and helpful), and wood burning grill give it a very quiet, private, and relaxing atmosphere.

The furniture in the rooms is slightly outdated, but we thought it added to the charm of the hotel. This is a perfect hotel for a fun trip for people looking for great location and not looking for a sleek/shiny resort.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Again I spent a great time in Hotel Alegria. Friendly people, proper and calm room made my stay relaxing. Te Hotel is very well situated, a very little walk outside the center of Cabarete, in a calm corner not directly on the street and close to the beach.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Albany, New York
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

I'm surprised how disparate my experience is than other TripAdvisor posts. I wonder if my room was outside the norm. I've stayed at other laid back, budget, mom and pop type inns and think I had realistic expectations of modest and maybe a little worn room, but my room was far worse. I also know that beachfront places don't age well and expected some rust, mildew, etc, but not to the extent I had.

At first impression, and I was here early morning for an afternoon check-in, I found the place charming. The staff was incredibly helpful, and although they couldn't offer me an early room, took me to near hotels at 4 am to check for immediate availability before letting me settle on the rooftop terrace where there was a common shower and bathroom I could use after a long travel day.

I then enjoyed my time in the common areas of the hotel, which have that charming, make-do vibe. Staff and guest scene was enjoyable.

I then received my room. The main part of the room was fine, with a decent view and balcony. The floor was still wet from mopping, but it appears they don't do much other cleaning otherwise. Inside all the pieces of furniture (like the armoire, which is the only clothing storage) was dirty, as were most other pieces of furniture, include cobwebs and dust bunnies on the walls. Now that I think about it, I never heard or saw a vacuum the whole time I was there.

Although I was on the third floor, there was no way for me to shut and secure my balcony doors. Not that one could easily get to my balcony, but you would not have to be a professional to do so. It did take away from my sense of security and the soundness of my sleep.

The bathroom was really bad, both in terms of surface cleanliness and from series after series of quick and sloppy fixes that compound layer after later and provide an extra sense lack of cleanliness. There were thick layers of sloppy and dirty caulk and touch up paint everywhere. Every grout line was black with mildew. The sink rested loose on the vanity, it's cracked caulk having loosened. The drain cover in the shower was missing and replaced with caulk with sharp metal sticking out. The room needed a thorough update of new tile, door, window, etc. beyond 1 hour fixes between guests.

I'm not even going to spend more time mentioning cheap and uncomfortable mattress/linens, beat up furniture, and water stains, as I think those are reasonable expectations for a cheap beach town inn.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Krivenburg
AlegriaOwner, Owner at Hotel Alegria, responded to this review, 29 December 2013
Our reviewer writes in a review of another hotel the following " I stay at Hiltons 50-100 nights a year, mostly for business, but with 2-3 weeks of vacation, usually at beach resorts. I can say this was the poorest experience I have ever had at any hotel, EVER, in my entire life". He gives this 4 star hotel run by Waldorf Astoria a rating of one, terrible. At least he gave Hotel Alegria a arating of two. I guess it is tough to satisfy a guest who spends a hundred nights a year sleeping in Hiltons.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I had a great time. The staff was friendly, professional and very helpful. The rooms are in pretty good shape. Keep in mind its a 2 or 3 star hotel. So the rooms have everything you need. The hotel its self is very well situated. A super-market, the beach, dozens and dozens of restaurants, bars and shops are all walking distance. Most within a few minutes. The Alegria Café Lounge is a agreat addition to the Hotel! The lounge staff is very fun to hangout with. I would recomend this place to anyone and everyone. I would go back for sure:)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank mike r
Dominican Republic
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We just returned from the Hotel Alegria and stayed in the Two bedroom apartment. We had booked the large studio but found it a bit musty and opted to upgrade to the apartment. The apartment had a lot more room and came with A/C units in each of the bedrooms. Note that not all rooms come with A/C. At this time of year (November), it's not really needed.

Like others have said, we found the hotel very comfortable. People in the reception area and restaurant were very friendly. If you like to sit and chat with other travelers, you will like this hotel. But they also gave you your space. We needed some family time and really enjoyed time to ourselves.

We were a little concerned that the hotel would be noisy, being close to the heart of Cabarette but found the hotel to be very quiet. We really liked being so close to Janet's Supermarket. It's the biggest supermarket in town and was just a 2-3 minute walk away. Very convenient! And with the kitchen, we prepared most of our food.

The apartment itself isn't fancy. Furniture is worn but everything is clean. The kitchen had the basics. We wished it had a microwave. It's not 5 star but you aren't paying 5 star prices.

Finally, the staff was great. They were friendly and quick to help when we had a question. We didn't eat at the restaurant.

I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank RBBEM
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Hotel Alegria is a very nice place with a familiar atmosphere. The owner and staff are very friendly and always helpful. Our room (with ocean view) was beautiful and clean. The Hotel has direct beach access but as it is a few minutes walk to the next discothek it is really quiet there.
If I go back to Cabarete I will stay there again for sure :-)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabarete
Hotel Villa Taina
Velero Beach Resort
Velero Beach Resort
#2 of 20 in Cabarete
The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real

Been to Hotel Alegria? Share your experiences!