All reviewsbeautiful long beachhome away from homeair conditioningbang for your bucksmall hotelpetersupermarketnightlifebreeze
Reviewed 26 April 2017

This last trip for my wife and I was our 7th time we stayed at the Alegria. Peter and his staff are again very kind and helpful in accommodating to make you feel at home. If anyone is looking for a nice clean hotel for good bang for your buck I really do suggest this hotel.Its location can't be beat with access to Janet's supermarket and the beach just steps away.A good place to have a quiet time with a book and coffee on the patio. We definitely will be back.

Stayed: February 2017
1  Thank Ward S
Reviewed 23 April 2017

February 2017 was the 5th or 6th time we came to stay at the Alegria. The place feels like home, love the fact it's small and all the staff knows you and your preferences. This year we were there for 3 weeks and again it was wonderful. Staff is amazing and super helpful should you have a concern. The first 2 nights I didn't sleep well because I had a lumpy pillow, I mentioned it in passing and came back to the room that evening to a brand new awesome pillow. We stayed in on of the garden rooms, and loved the patio at night. Nice and quiet with the ocean waves for ambiance. After a rainy day there is bound to be a bug or two that finds it's way into your room, you are after all staying right in a tropical garden, but no big deal! The location is second to none, minutes to walk to anywhere in Cabarete. And beautiful long beach walks can be taken to the East and the West. Love this place, will be back again!

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
AlegriaOwner, Owner at Hotel Alegria, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2017

Thanks for the review. We look forward to your next visit when it is time to escape the Neepawa winter.

Reviewed 18 April 2017 via mobile

This place was covered top to bottom in mold. The cleaners don't actually clean. They just make the bed. Coffee maker was dirty from previous guests. I cleaned it out myself, made more coffee, and left it by the sink. Room service still didn't clean it. This is how I learned roaches like coffee too. Roaches everywhere. In the evenings you can hear stomping and shouts of "cucaracha" from other rooms. "Parking" that they offer is literally just the public street in front of the hotel. Hope you don't come during a busy time of year. The owner did allow us to park in his lot under the condition that we didn't use the car once it was parked. This is very misleading, as it only says parking was "available" while making the reservation. For those familiar with Cabarete, they know the entire point of bringing a car is to use it, for taking boards, gear, etc. Down the beach to where they can be used, or to other nearby beaches. Not everyone likes to hop on the motorcycle taxis, as statistically it is the number one cause of death for males in this country, on the most dangerous roads in the Americas. Don't be too friendly with the cats, or they will spend the entire night meowing outside your door.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sunshine670643
AlegriaOwner, Owner at Hotel Alegria, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2017

Granted a cockroach probably entered the guest’s ground floor unit from the yard when it rained. That is hard to avoid in the tropics. But it takes a lot of imagination to come up with the story of people from other rooms stomping and shouting cucarachas. Some shower tile joints had not been scrubbed sufficiently to completely clean the joints. That’s what the guest referred to as "mold everywhere." We’ll try to do better on that. The guests were here during holy week the most crowded time of the year at the beaches. We customarily have sufficient parking on the street in front of the hotel. With parking extremely limited that weekend anywhere in Cabarete we arranged for the guest to park in our neighbor's lot, with the condition from our neighbor that the car not come and go since they had a family gathering. The guest readily agreed.

Reviewed 20 March 2017

I have been staying here for years and always stay here when I come to Cabarete. The owner and staff are great, and it's in a peaceful location which I particularly like. It's out of the noise but close enough to walk to the nightlife and restaurants.

Love the place and will always return!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are the best
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jay H
Reviewed 15 September 2016

After putting off writing a review for months, I'm finally getting around to weighing in on the debate about this hotel.

I'm giving the Alegria 5 stars, but to provide an honest assessment for other travelers I must include a detailed description of the experiences during my stay.

Okay, so my previous bizarre hotel stay was in Cambodia last year. This one doesn't quite rank at the same level, but it's worth documenting as it was my first bizarre hotel experience this year.

(Note: For those who simply want to read general points about my stay, skip to the end of this review.)

I arrived after an unexpectedly long journey to Cabarete, tired and dehydrated. Upon arrival I was pleasantly greeted by hotel staff who carried my luggage to the top floor and were helpful in answering questions regarding my reintroduction to Cabarete, after not having visited for a number of years.

I immediately sensed that Cabarete had become a little more dysfunctional in general after walking through the town that evening, and I suspect that some of the negative reviews are in part a result of the byproducts of this dysfunctional environment, rather than something fundamentally wrong with the hotel or the owner.

Perhaps some people are rating the hotel against some theoretical universal standard, rather than the reality of the environment where its located. Tropical, chaotic at times, some rough edges in the experience at any given moment, etc. Though the environment is also what I like about Cabarete – its the polar opposite of a place like Singapore, and with a great beach and overwhelmingly friendly people.

On to some of the dysfunction worth documenting...

My stay began to take an odd turn when on my third day I went downstairs to the restaurant under the hotel and was greeted by a young British gentleman who introduced himself as "Peter" which is the same name as the hotel owner. I stated that I was happy to finally meet him in person after exchanging emails. The gentleman said he too was happy to meet me in person and at no point during our 15 minute conversation did he give me any indication he was not the owner of the hotel. I even ended the conversation by mentioning that I would be emailing him later about the number of days I wanted to stay at the hotel and he thanked me and said he looked forward to receiving my email. It turns out this gentleman was not the owner and to this day I have no idea who he was. Possibly he was a guest who was either playing a game with me or was delusional. But for reference, the owner is a mature North American gentleman. Anyway, that was bizarre encounter number one.

Later while sitting in the restaurant I asked a staff member who appeared to be the manager of the restaurant whether I could pay the remaining balance for my room and food by a single PayPal payment for the sake of simplicity. (I had already paid for the previous few nights by PayPal - which by the way is a plus with this hotel for all those like me who prefer the safety of paying through online means without giving out credit card numbers, etc.) She said yes, and when I asked if she was 100% sure, she said she would double check with someone and disappeared for two minutes into the kitchen. After reappearing she said I could definitely pay everything (room and food) by PayPal in one final bill at checkout.

On the fourth night a restaurant staff member knocked on my door and presented a restaurant bill and asked if I could pay it. I mentioned that I had arranged to pay everything via PayPal at checkout and she said okay and left. Then she came back after 10 minutes and asked again if I could pay the bill and I again said I would pay via PayPal and that she could confirm with the owner, and again she left. Then she came a third time and said the bill needed to be paid that evening because the restaurant would be closed the following day (note, for some reason certain restaurants close on Wednesdays in Cabarete). Though regardless of the restaurant being closed the following day, I was genuinely confused why that had anything to do with me paying the balance due via PayPal.

So I went downstairs to the restaurant to try and clear up the confusion and discovered that the hotel and restaurant are completely separate businesses (which is not obvious since the restaurant does not have a separate entrance, and it's part of the same building) - and the arrangement I made with the staff member during the day had no bearing on reality. Apparently she had no authority to make payment arrangements and possibly didn't even know what PayPal is. And only cash would be accepted as payment. Bizarre encounter number two.

To make matters even more confusing I had already paid for what I thought was two nights in a small $40 room plus one day's worth of a food bill. But all of the funds had of course only been applied to my hotel stay.

Fast forward to day 8. I inquired with reception about the availability of my room for an additional evening. After being told I could extend my reservation I stated that I would pay the balance due by PayPal. The staff member at reception replied by saying I could not pay by PayPal. Not sure why I was surprised by such a reply given the events of the previous days, but I was. So I just mentioned that I would "work things out with the owner" and ended up paying by PayPal of course and confirmed all was fine with the owner.

The main takeaways are:

- Cabarete is generally dysfunctional and that seems to affect the experience at many if not all of the hotels, not just this one. I had similar odd experiences after trying a few other hotels.

- Don't believe anything a restaurant staff member tells you at face value, especially in relation to the hotel. Rely only on what the hotel owner tells you, or the restaurant owner (though I never did find out who the restaurant owner is).

With all this said, every staff member (at both the hotel and restaurant) I encountered was friendly and tried to be helpful even when they were not.

Relative to what is available in the main area of Cabarete, the hotel is a good deal. The price, the level of safety, the friendliness of the staff all rank well for hotels in that area. There are multiple WiFi connections at the hotel, and all are fast and reliable - a real plus for those of us who need to stay connected while traveling.

I'm giving the hotel a 5 because the odd events that occurred were not intentional on the part of hotel staff, nor was the owner's fluctuating demeanor much of a problem for me. The hotel ended up being the best of the options I tried, and I do believe within the price range it's one of the better hotels in Cabarete.

Pros:
- PayPal accepted for room reservations
- Safe environment
- Friendly staff
- Reasonably priced
- Close proximity to main beach area
- Ocean view rooms quiet with pleasant ocean wave sounds
- Fast reliable WiFi, multiple hotspots

Cons:
- Big difference in quality between street view and ocean view rooms (which are much nicer), but street view rooms are nearly the same price

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are much better than the street view ones
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo
3  Thank nyc_traveler_2020
AlegriaOwner, Owner at Hotel Alegria, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2016

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences and provide such a lengthy review. As the reviewer points out our restaurant is operated as a concession, i.e. a separate business. I expect there was a language problem that resulted in the back and forth over how the restaurant bill was to be paid. In October we are expecting a new restaurateur to take over the restaurant, and we will keep prospective guests apprised when that happens. We take paypal for deposits, and we are glad the guest pointed out the advantages of that over providing credit card details online. We request balances to be paid in cash, although we have occasionally made exceptions when a departing guest appears unable to make the payment in cash.