“Perfect place to stay with friends and have a low key, relaxing, affordable vacation.”
Review of Hotel Cita del Sol

Hotel Cita del Sol
Hotel Cita del Sol
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed 3 May 2011

I actually went in March 2010, for a week with 3 girlfriends. The place was clean, the grounds were well-kept and there was lots of lush trees and plants growing everywhere. Really nice, relaxing environment. The pool was very nice, although we spent most of our time on the beach, which was right across the street. We bought fresh fruit and veggies from a produce stand right in front of the place every morning. There's also a bakery across the street, and plenty of authentic restaurants and bars. The nightlife was surprisingly active for such a small beach town, and there was always plenty to do.

There are some street vendors and locals trying to make a living, so don't be surprised if you have regular faces asking you to come in and see their shops every day. But they are harmless, and my 3 friends and I all felt very safe as young American women traveling.

There's a couple of grocery stores close by and are easy to get to if you've rented a car or a moped. Everything was pretty cheap in terms of food, whether you ate out or in.

It would be helpful to have a Spanish speaker in your party, but not necessary. There are lots of Canadian and European travelers there, and it's one of the top kite surfing destinations so it's great to walk down the beach and see the surfers.

If you don't need a fancy luxury resort and want to get a true sense of the local culture, this is a great place to do it. I will definitely come back to Cita del Sol on my next visit to Domincan.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank svfish

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Maastricht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 25 September 2010

I used to own one of the condos at Cita del Sol and had to sell it for personal reasons, but Cita del Sol is always my first choice for a trip. I have been back two times since I sold. Next visit will be in a couple of months. Cita del Sol is first choice for me because it is a safe distance to town in the middle of the night walking by myself, it is a relative quiet place in the middle of the Cabarete high life, so you can sleep at night. The condos are comfortable and are roomy enough on a rainy day. If you take normal safety measures (close balcony door at night) you will be safe. There is one negative review here, I was there when this couple got robbed, they used to sleep with the balcony door wide open.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Anne-Marie1966
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 November 2009

I have been travelling to the north coast of the dominican republic for over 10 years and have lived in several different places along the way. Bar none Cita del Sol is the best. I arrived late and Peter was there to greet me and show me the place. After some sillyness on my part (losing keys...finding them again) Peter endeavoured to make sure everything was right with my stay. The place is kept clean. The pool is awesome and the other residents of the building are good people.

I have made many friends in the DR along the way and I now consider Peter one of them and have even introduced him to my circle of friends from POP. I am looking very forward to my stay there this winter.

Also.....the negative review posted here from the guy who lost his computer was the reason I chose Cita del sol...I could tell from that review that Peter had done everything he could to make that person happy. Don't let it scare you off....This is an awesome place and will totally enhance your vacation by staying there.

Darrin

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aipapi
ny,ny
Reviewed 17 April 2009

I started my April trip at Ali's Surf Camp, and switched over to Cita del Sol after one day. I was looking for a comfortable spot that I could relax, study and have easy access to the beach and town without spending much money. Cita del sol was excellent. The one bedroom apt that I stayed in was nicely decorated, with a balcony overlooking the barrio. I had access to way more ammenities than I was expecting for the low price, such as internet, phone, AC, balcony, full kitchen (including everything, even a coffee machine and a blender!) for $50/nt. Just to note, I was paying the same price as I did for a teeny studio with no light, no balcony, mirror, or even a mini-fridge at the surf camp. The bed was cozy, bathroom/kitchen/fridge/everything was really clean.

The other thing that I reallly enjoyed, that is hard to find in tourist areas, is that Cita del sol, really didn't feel like a hotel. While the staff was super helpful, and tri-lingual at least, they weren't in my business at all. So- I really felt like I was house sitting for a friend. That being said- this may not work for people that like to have room service, towels by the pool and wake up calls. However, I travel internationally around 4x/year and I prefer the mellow, independent but home-y style...

Additionally, the pool was very clean and a great area to hang out. The restaurant attached is cheap and serves creole and dominican meals as well as "normal american" stuff. There is a security guard 24/7 outside hotel. I should add that the apt felt really safe. There were locks even on the balcony doors and windows.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank csawsing
Toronto
Reviewed 16 April 2009

My friend and I stayed at Cita Del Sol for 2 weeks from March 31 - April 14 2009. Our stay could not have been better!
The rooms and rates were great and Peter, the manager, was always very accomodating in every way. Anything we needed or wanted was always available.
We go to Cabarete every year, twice a year and Cita Del Sol was by far the best place we've stayed.
We were there during Semana Santa and right in the middle of all the action. Everything was within walking distance.
I've always loved this city and again, I was NOT dissapointed.
We will definitely be back and I can't wait!!!!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
Vancouver
Reviewed 8 July 2008

We stayed at Cita Del Sol a few years before and really liked just about everything.
In 2005 the place was a little run down but still charming.
When returned this year we were pleased to see the place had been really very much improved, with the same smiling staff and a great manager who all focused heavily on our comfort.
From what research we did there really was not anything close to the bang for the buck. High speed internet and cable TV, air conditioner and swimming pool and lots of residents who are all very friendly and like one big family.
We can not wait to return to the Dominican Republic and when we do we will be going to Cita Del Sol.

• Liked — customer service, pool, internet and location
  • Disliked — did not dilike anything
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Buenos Aires
Reviewed 5 August 2007

I stayed with my wife at the hotel from jun 1 to july 15, 2006.
We both are 60 years old and we are from Argentina, we go to Cabarete every year since 1999 and I am a windsurfer and we love RD.
In june 9 at the night thieves entered our room when we were sleeping and they stole me my laptop and a backpack with clothes, the hotel manager gave me a voucher to go to the hotel at their expenses since they accepted their responsability in the robery as those nights they did not have watchman and they did not warn the visitors nor closed the hotel doors at the nights.
This year 2007 I wanted to go to Cabarete and use the voucher they gave me but they lied me saying the hotel will be closed and could not make any reservation, but checking sites and my friends coments I see it was always open so they did not honour their voucher and I could not use what they gave me.
Guillermo

• Disliked — Responsability
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank MitoLagos