“Viva-Cabarete”

Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Cabarete
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Nice smaller resort. The grounds are very well maintained and groomed. The lobby is nothing special. Rooms are adequate but could use an update. We had a nice oceanview room very close to the water. It was clean but a bit noisy since we were above the dining area. The view was very nice.
Food: The food was very good and I was never board with the selection over the two weeks I was here.
Beach: On a windy day the sand would bite into your skin. But everyone goes here for the kite surfing so wind is good. I felt sorry for the pool boy that had to clean all the sand out of the bottom of the pool everyday. The beach vendors were on you all the time if you stayed at the beach. After the windy days we ended up spending our time by the pool. There's a nice little bar by the pool with tables. They had two restaurants on each side of the property that were very good.
Overall, we loved going for long walks down the beach everyday. You can literally walk for miles. We also went into Cabarete most days around 3:00 p.m. and we hung out at a bar on the main street that had a second level. You could sit up there at watch the traffic and people come and go. This was a good time to be in town if you didn't want to see what goes on at night.....We did go into town to the nightclubs two evenings and it was a lot of fun. I felt reasonably safe in town but I wouldn't go in by myself. A lot of people would walk along the beach at night heading into the clubs. So, I think it was fairly safe for tourists walking in groups.
Warning: The waves along the beach are very big and can be very dangerous. They carry a lot of sand and they roll in large groups. If you are not a good swimmer and you don't pay attention to what's coming at you, you could run into trouble. If you have kids, you can't let them go in the water unless you are in the water too.
I will definitely go back to this resort again, partly because it's in Cabarete on a nice walkable beach. It's a good place to people watch but you will get hustled to buy stuff etc. So you have to keep your whits about you if that makes sense.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank vneudorf
VivaWyndhamRes0rts, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Tangerine, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Dear Sir,

We are pleased you could enjoy your time in our resort and hope to see you here again soon.
We are grateful for your remarks and especially we are happy to know that you had a great vacation at our Resort. Thank you for recommending Viva Wyndham Tangerine.

Please do not forget that we will be pleased to welcome you back at anytime.

Best regards,

Viva Wyndham Tangerine

Write a ReviewReviews (1,607)

Reviewed 22 December 2013

This was my 5th time to DR, 1st time to this location but my 8th time staying at a Wyndham hotel. If you're looking for the reputation of a Wyndham room from the world wide chain DON'T!! I don't know how this resort can call itself a "Wyndham" - it's embarassing.

Here are my PROs & CONs & you decide

PROS
- Property is beautiful, nicely landscaped & maintained
- Staff friendly & attempt to speak to you in your language whenever possible (impressive because there are several languages here - English, French, German, Italian, Spanish)
-The Mexican a la carte had very good food - went there twice & had the same thing - ribs as an entree & the steak for the main
-staff not money grabbing for tips. They don't expect tips & are very appreciate when you do tip.
- large variety of food to choose from in the buffet

CONS
- Beach towels NO exchanges - the one you get for the day is the ONLY 1 you'll have for the day, the towel guy will get mad at you if you want another one even if it's soaking wet because of a heavy downpour, got too much sand, etc & get mad at you if you want to hand in your dirty towel in the morning for a clean one. You get scolded that you should have handed your towel in before 5:30pm - REALLY! I'm 57 years old NOT a child. They are only open from 8:30 ish am to 5:30pm.
- electrical outlets in the room (rm 3208) are very scary - they actually came out of the wall with wires exposed. and only 3 single outlets available in the room
- lighting in the room is very dim the bathroom has 1 single chandelier bulb
- In room safe NOT FREE, $2.00 per day
- Lack of hooks in the bathroom to hang your towels, bathing suits etc
- No where to hang a wet bathing suit on the balcony NOT allowed to hang them on the railing
- Timeshare people a pain. They're allowed on the property but won't take NO for an answer, finally will take NO for an answer but then want to hang around you & chat, ask for cigarettes & want to know if you will take them home with you....
- no full length mirror
- NO toilets near the pool or beach - so do people pee in the pool & ocean???
- no coke light for 3 days from the self serve dispensers in the (Mexican) snack area or the self serve bar by the pool
- no bacon
-food in the buffet is fair to good - you won't go hungry
- free wifi is crappy & iffy -- BUT did I mention it's FREE!
- heard loud humming sound (a/c unit) but only noticed it on the last day

PROs & CONs not under their control
- Cabrete a big bust - no where to really shop to buy trinkets & souvenirs - just a few shops with junk - you're better off buying stuff on the beach. Lots of restaurants but you're at an all inclusive...
- beach vendors will bug you like crazy for a few days & then leave you alone - they will take NO for an answer & then move on. If you really don't want them to bother you, pretend you're asleep or bring a video game with you - they really respect that & totally leave you alone
- don't buy anything from the hotel gift shop. Walk across the street to the Esso gas station & they'll probably have it at half the price. Bought booze, cigarettes, insect repellant & ice cream much cheaper here.
- insect repellant - if you get bitten at home you will get bitten here. I got 30 bites on my arm & leg because I was texting in the lobby (free wifi) in the evening.
- asked at the front desk TWICE if the manager was in & if I could speak to him - just told no, he just went home & no, today is his day off. No further action taken by the front desk clerk. I thought I should speak to him personally before writing such a negative review AND before I contacted the Wyndham hotel chain customer service department.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean or pool view BUT these rooms will be noisy at night till at least midnight
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sandybeaches56

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay in our Viva Wyndham Tangerine; We are truly sorry that your experience was not what you expected.

Please be aware that your observations are very important to us and they will be considered in order to improve our services and facilities.

We thank you again for your comments and for having been part of our Viva Wyndham Tangerine.

Best Regards,

Hotel management

Reviewed 14 December 2013

Having travelled the Caribbean extensively and sampled a myriad of resort chains and ratings , we knew our expectations should not be too high for the price we paid. Our goal was to go AI at Viva and dine nightly at the Cabarete beach bars for more choice/quality. As others note, the resort grounds are well maintained and the staff do a great job and work hard but it is quite dated and in need of some attention throughout, but again, we knew this and would say it really is a good value for those accepting of a three star property. I did write a quick post about our robbery occurance last night and you can find that in the forums. Here are some plus/delta's in addition to other area feedback.
Plus - some select service champions reside at this resort ( notably - Hector/Julio )
Expansive pool area
Adequate lounge chairs
Adequate shade
4 star spa
Security and bell hops
Snack & beverage availability all hours
Waves and kite boarding locale
Delta's - Towel Boy's rules and regulations - different policy every day that was hard to decipher
Demeanor of Towel employee's - presented like it was bothersome to approach booth
Quantity of buffet
Entertainment staff - sporadic structure & cultural favouritism.
Daily Beach vendor onslaughts
Time share team solicitations
Lack of managerial rounding
Again, good value for money but don't expect "wow" service or anything more than the appropriate rating. Would certainly go back as it meets the AI needs.
Paradise Island is a must. Renting a car and scooter is fine but avoid Puerto Plata unless you are an offensive driver and have a co-pilot. Sosua beach is a nice day trip for a more calmer day at the beach with a lack of vendors. Night time discos are fun , but recommend as part of a group.

Room Tip: Stay away from 2600 block of rooms as it borders the nightly entertainment complex.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank joey f

Dear Madame,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay in our Viva Wyndham Tangerine; we appreciate you took the time to write such detailed review, and we are happy to know that you had a pleasant vacation at our Resort. We consider your comments very interesting and they will help us to improve our services and facilities.

We are very sorry that you were robbed in Cabarete Town, please be aware that our management will pass your comments to the local authorities so they can take care of it.

We apologize for any inconvenience that you might have experienced during your stay.

Reviewed 13 December 2013

My husband and I just got back from a two-week stay at the Tangerine. There were some good features about this resort, but overall we left disappointed.

The good: The resort is right on Cabarete beach, and is an easy walk into town - either along the beach or on the main street through town. The staff (with one notable exception I'll get to later), were all very friendly and helpful. The pool is very clean and there are usually plenty of loungers there and on the beach. The buffet restaurant had very good food - both in terms of quality and selections. The a la carte restaurants - while very slow - also had good food & service.

The bad: When we arrived we were assigned a ground floor room in building 21. Ice cold A/C, spotlessly clean, and we were quite happy until we went to bed that night. The mattresses were so hard neither one of us could sleep, and we both woke up with sore hips and shoulders, and my husbands back was aching. The room also overlooked the undeveloped land next to the resort and at 5:30am we were woken by the resident rooster. The shower worked well, but the bracket for the shower wand was broken off and had been replaced by one at waist level, meaning it had to be hand held for hair washing, etc. After the second night we realized we had to move if we were going to get any rest. The front desk staff were very accommodating and booked us into a third floor room in building 24. While the beds and pillows were of a slightly better quality, the A/C was terrible. As long as we were on city power, the A/C worked fine, but when the power went out and the resort generators were running, there simply wasn't enough power to run the A/C effectively, and we spend many nights with the room too hot for sleeping. While the room was hot, the water most definitely wasn't. Our first room had unlimited amounts of hot water, while the best we got in building 24 was tepid. We debated moving rooms - again - but decided we risked going from bad to worse and simply put up with it. I should also note that the resort is very poorly soundproofed. While in building 21 we were woken by roosters, and in building 24 we were kept up at night by the evening show. Building 24 is about halfway back from the theater, so I can only imagine the din for those in buildings closer to the pool/beach.

The rooms, and the resort in general, are in need of an overhaul. Our shower leaked on the floor, there was a piece of the shower door broken out, and due to the fact that the pipes were not insulated in the ceiling, we faced puddles on the floor and constant drips from the bathroom ceiling from constant condensation buildup. There was also some sort of short-circuit in the wiring as I was woken more than once (it seemed to correspond with heavy rain) by loud bangs and sparks shooting from the A/C vent and once from the TV.

As well, there are advertised amenities that are simply not there. The website claims free WiFi in public areas, and this is not so. The only WiFi / internet access is for pay. You can get WiFi in your room, but it costs an exorbitant amount, as does the internet "cafe" in the main public area. There was no coffee/tea maker in our room (either of them) and our second room didn't even come with a "please clean/do not disturb" tag. While not an issue for us, it was just one more sign that the resort is poorly run.

The resort also advertises free local calls, which is not the case. We have friends in Cabarete as we lived there for 3 years, and when we tried to call them, we were told that we would have to come to the front desk and pay for the phone calls - even AFTER we carefully explained that this was indeed a local call.

The fitness center was very disappointing. When we lived in Cabarete we paid a membership to the resort to use their fitness center, and after 3 years away we were shocked to see that it had only gone downhill. Aside from a bit of much-needed re-upholstery to some of the weight benches, all the equipment was even more broken down than when we were there. Everything was in need of oiling, and the cardio equipment was barely functional. The stair-master is useless as the battery-operated display has no batteries and is so rusted I doubt fresh ones would work anyway, and the two spin bikes are so old and poorly maintained that they creak and groan and squeak with every pedal. The dumbbells are loose and wobbly and I hesitated to do any exercise involving lifting them over my head.

The resort advertises access to the gym, along with the sauna & hot tub in the same area. The gym is indeed free, but other than the Turkish bath and wet sauna, no other facilities are available, unless you pay for services in the Spa. I saw one very disgruntled lady walk out of the gym after being told that what was advertised as included was for-pay. I don't blame her.

The spa is VERY overpriced. Basically you are looking at the same costs for massage, facial, etc. as you would pay in the US or Canada. Considering how inexpensive the same services are off-resort (Magic Hands Massage across the street and a block toward town is fantastic & I will review it as well) it is rather insulting.

The gift shop is stocked with the usual assortment of souvenirs, clothes, and basic essentials, and is also ridiculously over-priced. There are far too many shops, pharmacies, and grocery stores in Cabarete to waste your money in the resort shops.

Finally I want to bring attention to the one member of the staff who obviously should not be there. He works most days at the egg station in the buffet restaurant and he is at best surly and at worst rude. He never smiles, glares at guests as they put in their order, and is extremely impatient with anyone taking more than 10 seconds to make a choice of what they would like in their omelette. Even when there is only one person in line he is very rude and impatient. He seems to have very definite ideas as to how omelettes/eggs should be cooked, and gets very annoyed if guests ask for anything different. He was extremely rude to my husband on more than one morning, and I saw the same behavior repeated with other guests. Hardly conducive to a pleasant breakfast.

Overall we had a very enjoyable holiday, but we will definitely not be returning to the Tangerine. If this is an example of the quality of Viva resorts in general, I would be hesitant to book a stay at any of them in future.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lynn N

Dear Madam,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay in our Viva Wyndham Tangerine. We are deeply sorry we couldn’t meet your expectations.

We truly regret to not have been able to fulfill your expectations. Please accept a sincere apology for any inconvenience you might have experienced during your recent stay in Dominican Republic.

Thank you for the opportunity to serve you at our resort.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

We were at the Tangerine in October for a week. It is a clean resort our room was nice but basic. For an all inclusive the food was pretty good...the A la Cartes were okay but not spectacular. The staff are okay but they definitely don't go out of their way for you. The beach vendors are beyond annoying and it ultimately makes you want to avoid the beach altogether. Get ready to say "No Gracias" !!
We are heading down there to celebrate our wedding in February 2014 , the hotel does not really have a nice spot for a wedding. We have decided to get married at the restaurant beside the resort the Maraja which is incredible. We are bringing 70 guests with us in February and I am really hoping they will step up their game a bit for our guests. The impression we got from the Hotel was that they did not feel a need to go out of their way for us. Pretty sure despite the 70 bookings they are getting because of our wedding they won't be providing any upgrades since we are not doing the wedding with them. I am a bit unimpressed but am planning to make the most of our week there.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nicole C

Dear Guest,

Thank you for having chosen our property to spend your holidays along with your wedding party. We will try our best to make you and your guests to feel comfortable in our property.

We apologize if in any moment we made you feel that we didn’t care about your needs. We wish you all the best with your wedding plans and please count on us for anything you need regarding your and your guest accommodation.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Stayed 4 days in Viva Tangerine, after a week in Bahia Principe El Portillo in Samana. The price difference was only around 25 usd per person per day, but Bahia Principe El Portillo is WAY better.

First room we got at Viva Wyndham was in the older building above the restaurant. It had not been renovated, had a musty smell and very loud air conditioning, smelly pillows... (I will pass all the details). The hotel was very understanding and changed us to a much better room.

Food is average (especially coming from Principe El Portillo). Windsurf equipment very old. They do not have enough towels for the pool.

We went to Cabarete as we wanted to windsurf or kite surf. The beach is great for that.

Customer service is ok at Viva Wyndham, but they really need to upgrade the quality of their buffet and the rooms. They can also make the jacuzzi warmer…

I would recommend Bahia Principe El Portillo.

Room Tip: definitely not in the older building above the restaurants.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank shareinfo21

Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for your comments. We appreciate your feedback and that you have taken the time to write about your experience in our viva Wyndham Tangerine in Cabarete Dominican Republic. We regret the parts that you did not like and we will try our best to make it better for our future customers. And maybe if you decide to come back you will feel better and see things in a different way. .

Reviewed 27 November 2013

A second stay ,one year later.We were given the very same room,so our comparisons are valid for the one room only. We noticed a few diferences, the shower doors had been replaced with new . The air conditioner control was fully functional.
The cleaning ladies do a wonderful job every day!
Food was a bit better than last year, lots of choices,well presented.
The restaurant staff is well above average , very friendly and always helpful.
My husband uses a mobility scooter,and was always treated with courtesy and respect.
We know this is a smaller resort but he can go everywhere with his scooter,excepth the gym which is in the basment.
The only complaint we have would be the lack of a hand rail leading down into the pool at the main stairs, as well as the missing stair on one pool ladder,and the wobbly steps on another.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Linda G

Dear Madam,

We are happy to know you chose our property, Viva Wyndham Tangerine, to spend your holidays for a 2nd time. We are glad you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us; I wanted to mention that our Management has read your comments and we have taken care of the missing stair on the pool, thank you for using this tool to keep us up dated about your stay.

Thank you for your remarks which are very important to us please be sure that they will be considered in order to improve our services and facilities.

Viva Wyndham Tangerine

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabarete
Ultravioleta Boutique Residences
#3 of 19 in Cabarete
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
#5 of 40 in Puerto Plata

Been to Viva Wyndham Tangerine? Share your experiences!