“Worse hotel ever”

Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Cabarete
Jacksonville, Florida
“Worse hotel ever”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My husband and I visited for 5 days and we were completely disappointed with the hotel. See my feedback as that hotel brings down the Wyndham brand.
List of issues
no hot water my husband and I dreaded taking the cold showers.
No toilet paper we had to constantly call the desk for paper for the toilet. On our last night we got an eXtra roll
no wash cloths I don't know about you guys but even in Motel 8 that is standard
We had people knocking on our hotel door every night at 3 or 4 in the morning it was so aggravating that we just ignored it.
The food was nasty nasty nasty no taste it was like factory food
drinks sucked cheap liquor which made u sick
Does not have a private beach you put a toe on the beach the locals hound u like hyenas
We attempted to play pool but the pool table was as old as the building the balls feel to the ground when you sank a pocket horrible
Attempted to play ping pong the rackets were tore up from the floor up
Volleyball nets were tore up and dominated by the locals who were not part of the resort hindering the guests enjoyment of the activities and the staff encouraged even after we complained
The nightly shows were not bad and the staff worked well to entertain God bless their hearts
Pool was DISGUSTING locals were drinking and emptying their glasses in the pool. Had to complain to guest services
Beach not nice we live in Florida and we only went in the beach once the waves were big and rough. The resort ran out of beach towels daily.

We met some great guests and had a blast laughing at the horrible hotel we were in. We all agreed never to come back and stay in the hotel. Love DR my 3rd visit and would go back but Wyndham will never get our money again. Love my new found friends from France and Virginia. Outside activities were a blast.

Room Tip: Don't go there much better hotels at lifestyle or Playa Dorado
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Candis S
VivaWTangerine, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Tangerine, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear customer,

Please accept a sincere apology for any inconvenience that you might have experienced during your recent stay in Cabarete. We appreciate the time you dedicated to write your remarks about your vacation. Your comments will assist us in our commitment to improve in all aspects of our operations.

It is our priority to satisfy all of our clients and we can assure you that we work every day with great efforts to optimize our services.

We remain at your disposal.

Viva Wyndham Tangerine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My wife and I found this location both beautiful, well kept and very satisfactory in most areas considering the price. The food was great, drinks were fine staff was nice, especially if you tipped well. Our room was nothing fancy but clean and private and Andrea the maid was sweet and made sure we were happy. The kite surfing and beach were awesome.The gym is very nice when the attendant decides to turn on the ac..he likes it hot! The pool however...well it wasn't so much the pool, but the people in it. We made some nice friends there from Austria, Germany and Quebec which made our stay more enjoyable but the reason we would probably not go back in the summer is our interactions with the majority of the other vacationers there...

I understand that the hotel wants to keep it's rooms occupied during the low season by offering family packages to the local people at a fraction of the price that we are paying but this will not turn out to be a sound business strategy in the end. If you think you're going to enjoy a peaceful rest by the pool or a refreshing swim think again..the pool is invaded by dozens of screaming kids many of them completely dressed, Why wear a bathing suit when you can do your laundry while splashing around in the pool continuously from morning until 6 when the pool closes. Those people are generally loud and unfriendly as they seem to despise us foreigners.

At the snack bar you will find them butting in line in front of you several times while you are waiting there politely like an idiot as they completely strip the table of all it's food which they then take to their tables as a decoration since very little of it will be eaten. How can people living in such a poor country be wasting so much food? Six pizzas later, i finally get impatiently rude and push someone aside that is trying to slip his hand under my arm to grab the last few slices i was just about to take. Same thing at the bar, waiting your turn, that's a concept they are unfamiliar with.
Having them around in such large numbers really brings this resort from a 3+ to a 2 star rating. The waiters are completely exhausted trying to keep up with the constant demands of those people and are visibly unhappy with the way they are being treated..and they never leave tip. It's a cultural thing you may say. maybe so but for a Canadian it's really annoying. This resort could be great if it wasn't overrun by the Dominicans.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank eric b
Dear customer,

Thank you so much for your valuable comments on your family vacation at Viva Wyndham Tangerine. It is very important to us to receive feedbacks and to know that you had a pleasant vacation.

Please remember that we will be glad to welcome you back at Viva Wyndham Tangerine.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

I stayed there the week of 7/14/14 and thoroughly enjoyed my stay there. The rooms were well air conditioned and comfortable but we didn't stay there very much. Sure they could use some upgrades but I only slept and showered there. My daughter did complain the water wasn't hot enough for her. I don't like hot showers so it didn't concern me, I found the water warm enough.

I have to admit when I arrived and saw the lobby I was concerned. The staff is nice and multilingual. The front desk people speak English, French, German on top of English. When I started to walk to the building to my room it was nice. The gardens are very well kept and I enjoyed just walking through there.

I stayed in the main building which had an airy lobby and is very comfortable even in the heat of the day. The second and third floors are hot but I only went there as I was going to and from my room. There is no American TV but I didn't miss it.

The pool area is great, comfortable chairs and very clean. The bar is nearby and while there are no top shelf liquors I enjoyed the drinks. I'm usually a scotch drinker but switched to pina coladas since I was there and had no complaints. The smaller pool had fewer kids there and i found it relaxing.

We stuck to the beach which is beautiful. They provide boggie boards, volleyballs, wind surfing and catamaran lessons. We took advantage of all except the catamaran lesson.

The food in the buffet was great. They had various theme nights like Asian night or Italian night while I didn't think every dish was great I found the fish and pork every meal to be excellent. I and my daughter ate several servings each night. The desserts were not remarkable but the fruit was consistently fresh and sweet. I could have used more of a salad bar.

Overall both my daughter and i would go back.

Don't book excursions at the hotel it's a rip off. You can get the same tours on the beach or in the town for cheaper.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Eric L
VivaWTangerine, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Tangerine, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to express our deepest gratitude for your generous comments and for posting your review on TripAdvisor.

We are very pleased to know that you enjoyed your visit to our beautiful Resort. We are also delighted to hear that you are part of our group of loyal guests, whom year after year honor us with their preference.

We are looking forward welcoming you back in a very near future!

Kind regards,

New Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

We went here and it was amazing for the price. Room airfare food and drinks were included. We took trips;an ATV day trip was awesome thru the jungle. The waterfall trip was the best ever with the water caves and natural rock slides will go again

Stayed August 2013
9 Thank Marc A
VivaWTangerine, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Tangerine, responded to this review, 26 July 2014

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This was my first time in Dominican Republic. It was a last minute booking so I really had no chance to explore and investigate other hotels, but for the price and location the hotel provided us with basic needs.

The entrance and main lobby is extremely small. The staff at the main desk are very friendly and check-in was quick. They brought our bags to the room and right away I was upset because I requested a queen and they gave us two doubles. They showed us another room at another building but there was an unappealing smell lingering that drew us away. So we stuck with the first room and just pushed the two beds together.

Nothing fancy with the room. The AC works great BUT there is NO HOT WATER.
The buffet options were ok, things you see in other hotels, pizza, burritos, etc and the other restaurants like the Italian and Mexican were also ok.
The drinks were given to us in a small cup. No top shelf available and the drinks were weak.

We booked an excursion to paradiso island. The island itself is super tiny, you can literally walk around it in 3 minutes. but with the unlimited rum it will start to feel longer. They also had snorkeling there, which was nice but the variety of fish viewing was limited to about 4 kinds of fish. Our guide was very friendly though and the 3 hour tour to the island was fun and relaxing.

I do have to say that the wind surfing at our hotel seemed very fun and adventurous. i didn't have the opportunity to [partake but for the other guests who seemed like regular surfers, it was a very popular destination spot and a nice amenity to the hotel.

Overall the hotel was nice but I think next time around for all inclusive I will pay to stay at another hotel.

Room Tip: If you're looking for some peace and quiet, make sure you are not staying in the main building...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank ZudiLo
VivaWTangerine, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Tangerine, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear guest,

We highly appreciate the fact that you took your precious time to write a detailed review.

Your special mention of the staff that enhanced the quality of your trip is greatly appreciated. We recognize that our staff plays a valuable role in the vacation experience of our guests. Reviews like yours serve to motivate us even more. Both your pros and cons comments have been forwarded to the responsible managers, and we assure you that we will bear them in mind.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back and provide you with a great stay showing that we have improved our service for you.

Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We stayed at the Viva Wyndham Tangerine in Cabarete on June 6th, 2014 for 4 nights to celebrate a friend’s milestone birthday.

We booked our package through WestJet Vacations and have traveled to Puerto Plata (POP) often with WestJet. We have always enjoyed our travel experiences with WestJet – great direct flight times (YYZ-POP-YYZ), no delays (except once), amazing customer service etc. I must mention that the WestJet employees at POP airport are exceptionally friendly; surprisingly, a few of them actually remembered us from our past travels.

AIRPORT/TRANSFER: Airport security and luggage claim at POP is very simple and straight-forward. For the first time, (based on my past arrival experiences at POP), one other flight arrived at the same time as our flight. Because of this, the wait time to get through immigration/customs was a little longer than usual – not a big deal for us, as were on vacation.

There is a DUFRY Duty Free store in the arrivals of POP airport – convenient for anyone who wants to buy cigarettes, alcohol etc. upon arrival. The airport also provides free luggage trolleys, if needed.

We organized a private return airport transfer in advance with Rosario Bus/Taxi Service in Puerto Plata. We have used Rosario many times in the past and as usual, we were not disappointed with his services. He offers free Wi-Fi in his comfortable, spacious, recently renovated van including a complimentary bar with cold beers, soft drinks, juices, bottled water, Brugal rum etc. Rosario’s contact cellular number is 809.399.0427. I always send my travel details to Rosario via text message and he always responds immediately.

Private transfers are great, as we arrived to the hotel before the transfer bus – so no line ups at check in. And, on our last day, we were able to enjoy the resort longer since we left an hour and a half after the bus transfer scheduled resort departure time.

HOTEL ARRIVAL: Upon arrival, we were warmly greeted by the bell staff at the hotel entrance. At check in we were given registration cards to complete with 2 rooms keys and 2 towel cards for each room. The gentleman who checked us in was very friendly and helpful to us throughout our stay. The hotel lobby area is quite small in comparison to the other resorts that I’ve stayed at – there is no lobby bar.

WIFI: There is free, but sometimes weak WIFI access in the lobby. I did not inquire about the chargeable WIFI access.

GUESTROOMS: We booked the Superior guestrooms. A couple of days prior to our arrival, I emailed the resort with a few questions and also noted our room requests. A special thank you to Romina who was very efficient in responded to my email.

We received renovated guestrooms and the room decor was basic but very, very clean. Our building had 3 floors with stairs access only – no elevators.

Our room was equipped with a desk, desk chair and a couple of desk drawers. An iron, full-size ironing board, alarm clock, telephone, wall-mounted flat screen TV, luggage bench, ice bucket, half size (not full size) vanity mirror and if I re-call correctly, a coffee maker. The closet has approximately 8 hangers.

The mini-bar was restocked daily with 2 bottled waters (500 ml) only – they will only replenish the bottled water that you consume. They do not supply beer, soft drinks etc. in the min-bar.

Our room had a large bathroom with a walk-in shower/hand held shower head (no bathtub) with shampoo, conditioner, hand/bath soap and a hair dryer. Our bathroom had no available space for our toiletry items, just enough of an area to place your toothbrush/toothpaste.

The room safe (USD $2.00 or $3.00 a day) is a smaller size unit with a hard key that we were required to carry around with us at all times. The safe is NOT large enough to store a laptop or binder size items.

Great size balcony with plastic chairs (2) and a table.

Our room had no maintenance issues throughout our stay and was well cleaned daily - we never had a problem with the replenishment of items – thank you to our wonderful room attendant (forgot her name) for your friendly service.

A LA CARTES/BUFFETS/BARS: Food is very subjective, so I will limit my opinions on this topic.

We had breakfast and dinner daily at the main buffet and enjoyed the food selection – the fresh breads/rolls were great! They had a cook-to-order omelette station (breakfast) and pasta station (dinner) available. The buffet is not very large, so the food selection was limited. They had a Dominican themed buffet on Saturday night and the food was really good!

We ate at lunch daily at the snack bar – the stove oven pizza was decent! Again, having a very small buffet area, the food selection was very limited.

Due to our short 4-night stay, we did not try the a la cartes.

GROUNDS: The resort is a very small property – everything is within walking distance. The grounds are clean and well-maintained. We encountered some mosquitos in the evenings, so don’t forget mosquito repellant!

There is an Esso gas station right across the street from the resort. You can purchase various “gas station” snack/drink items. They also sell alcohol (beer, vodka, rum etc.) and cigarettes. There are also a few stores (Dollar Store, Grocery Store, and Hardware Store etc.), bars/clubs, restaurants etc. within walking distance of the resort.

NIGHTLIFE: The resort was not busy, so the bar in the evenings was not very lively. We spent our nights out in Sousa and had a great time! We negotiated the return taxi fare (USD $30.00) with the taxi driver who stayed with us in Sousa the entire night. We paid the driver upon our return to the resort.

This was my 10th time to the Dominican Republic and I always return because of the warmth and kindness of the lovely DR people – so thank you for contributing to yet another wonderful vacation!

Overall we had a great vacation at the Viva Wyndham Tangerine. Even though this was my first time staying at a 3 star property, I was very content with the price we paid and would definitely return if the price was right!!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank Markham S
VivaWTangerine, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Tangerine, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Dear customer,

We sincerely appreciate your positive review about your vacation at Viva Wyndham Tangerine.

Our goal is to provide all of our guests with enjoyable and happy vacation experiences. We are glad to know that we have achieved this.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon at our Resort.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Viva Wyndham Tangerine.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Not the greatest place to stay. You can't go out to the beach without people pestering you to buy things from them. Know mater how many times you say no they just keep lining up hoping you will buy something and they to guilt trip you with "i have a family to feed" There is no hot water in the room just Luke warm water to shower in. And the jucuzzi was only hot one of 7days. A tour guide greets you and says they will give you a free trip though the city with lunch what's really happening is you get taken to an AMAZING hotel shown around and then asked if you want to become a member and if you can afford it they tell you they will move you to their hotel free of charge. If you can't afford it it makes it hard to return to this hotel and spend the rest of your vacation. Cleaning staff was wonderful and the people are nice but would i return to this place...NO!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank notaniguanas

Travellers are raving about these Cabarete hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabarete
Viva Wyndham V Heavens
Iberostar Costa Dorada
Iberostar Costa Dorada
#2 of 41 in Puerto Plata
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,989 reviews

Been to Viva Wyndham Tangerine? Share your experiences!