“Absolutely Perfect”

Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Cabarete
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
“Absolutely Perfect”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My wife and I just spent a week here and I couldn't be happier with this hotel! What a beautiful property and location, and the staff were all very friendly and fun to chat with. The pool area overlooking the beach is incredible, plus it is isolated from beach vendors trying to sell trinkets. The food/drinks at the restaurant were delicious and very reasonably priced. We ate there at least once or twice each day of our trip. The only complaint I had was that the mattress was very firm and I had a hard time sleeping on it, but when I told the front desk they brought us a thick foam mattress pad that solved all my problems. Would HIGHLY recommend and I hope to be back someday soon.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Andrew B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed at the Velero Beach Hotel the last two weeks of May. The weather was ideal and the
hotel absolutely perfect: great/friendly service and great restaurant. The suite overlooked the
infinity pool and a very private beach. The hotel sits at the end of Cabarete's mile long beach
which is full of summertime activities by day and restaurants at night. Local establishment's
are all within walking distance and the locals couldn't be friendlier.
All in all, couldn't ask for a more relaxing experience at a reasonable price. I'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to be excellent with views...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Bruce T
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 May 2014

This is the 3rd time I've stayed here. I cannot imagine a better place and a better value in Cabarete. On my other trips I have been told by locals that Velero Beach Resort is the best place in Cabarete to stay, and I see why.
This time I am staying in one of the penthouses, which is smartly configured with 2 bedrooms, each with its own bathroom, and a master suite that can be closed off from the rest of the apartment. It is on the 3rd floor with a GREAT view of the bay from the large balcony, and from this vantage point you can look down and really appreciate how well manicured and landscaped the grounds are. I especially love the walkway on the outside of the building (the first floor rooms can be reached via the courtyard or the walkway) because it is beautifully landscaped with flowering plants and an intelligent mix of plant types.
The apartment was very clean and well appointed. It is cleaned thoroughly and restocked with towels and whatever is needed. If I needed more soap or towels or other supplies all I had to do was call the front desk. The staff is VERY friendly here. And that friendliness effects the guests, who in turn - including me - are more friendly as a result. I feel like part of a larger family here at the resort.

Room Tip: The ground floor apartments are nice because they open up onto the manicured grounds. The third flo...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank rlenglebright
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We rented a Junior suit 121. As we entered, floor was dirty and un-swept, unwashed. I like clean things, so I checked beds and bathroom: Hairs on bed pillows [at least not on the sheets, I guess these were changed and clean]. Hairs also seen on the white bathroom sink area.

Bath was a half bath in height and sadly the function to plug it did not work so my long anticipated bath was not to be had.

Shower only and the shower head desperately needs changing, as most the water comes out of the bath tap and makes a noise like a helicopter, which is no fun to shower like this at all.

Kitchen could come with a few kitchen towels, IMO, not merely 1, as there was no alternative to mop up water. We had to use a bath towel for the kitchen or had no way to wipe wet hands.

Sleep quality:
Great to hear the ocean at night, the sound is amazingly relaxing.
Was however very difficult to open bedroom window for a sea breeze and to hear the ocean at night. Was stuck and sort of breaking apart. The next day some staff helped open the window.

We like beds that are not too soggy, more like Japanese style than the sinking in ones on this Island, so our backs were a bit pained and my sleep was not the best, but might also be due to the fact it was that awful Samana Santa weekend and a local parked his car under our window to blast techno noise from 3am onward. We actually rented the room to get away from our place in Cabarete for a hoped for peace and quiet, but forgot they have that little alley in the back of the building, lol. This is not the fault of the hotel and I guess they cannot block that alley off.

Again, view and balcony are great.
Sofas were comfy.
No breakfast included in the $175/night price tag, as usually would be anywhere worldwide.
The restaurant 'Victor's' is with great beach view but as a foodie, terrible. I ordered 3 dishes and told waiter I cannot eat dairy. He did not mention the seafood pasta dish was with a thick dairy cream sauce [i guess just cares to sell], so i could not eat it. anyway, no loss, as was the gooiest pasta I ever tasted [I tried to fish out a few noodles, after all the thing costs plenty here and was famished], more like glue sauce with a few sad morsels of [frozen seafood packet from China] seafood bits. The MahiMahi fish we ordered was tiny piece for the price and rather over- dry [grilled/fried too long]. Was in garlic sauce but only thing I could taste was tons of greasy cheap local butter and far too much salt. My girl ordered a chicken breast, which got similar treatment. Only a good idea to eat here if you are desperate or not at all fussy and have digestive tablets on hand, otherwise sip a drink and enjoy the view. Better for your digestion.

Price of room rather high but worth the view.

Room Tip: 121 has greatest sea-view. Make sure they fixed the noisy shower and bath works and that they clean...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Eileen K
S A, General Manager at Velero Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Hello Eileen,

You, as a local Cabarete resident have surprised us with your review of Velero. Yes it is a great place to get away from the mad scramble Cabarete becomes during Easter weekend. Of the myriad of places to stay in Cabarete, and you know most of them, you chose Velero. Surely for a reason. We will continue to do our best, and hope to meet your high standards should you choose to visit us again.
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We spent 2 nights with a group of friends at this Hotel and it will be on our list for a definite return visit. The rooms were fantastic, working A/C a pleasure, and the staff very professional. We have no complaints. The Hotel's location was a plus as it is close to the grocery store, restaurants, bars, and the beach, but far enough to enjoy some quiet, relaxing times. The room had a fantastic view to the ocean and pool, included a kitchen, and many of the comforts of home. The cleanliness was outstanding--the white furniture was actually white! We did visit the restaurant on site and were very happy there as well with the service, food, and prices. Thanks Hotel Velero for a much needed week-end away.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank JollyRogerDR
S A, General Manager at Velero Beach Resort, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
You guys deserved some R&R, that's for sure. We are really pleased your stay was a good one and hope you can come again, was a pleasure to have you and your friends here.
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

I staied at the hotel just one night. We were just traveling toward Punta Rusia and we stopped by.
We got a standard room which was clean with a very nice view on the ocean. However, there was a terrible musty smell, especially in the toilette. Towels also smelled musty. It was quite sickening and annoying.
Breakfast was good and served on an ocean view porch.
Swimming pool area is ok, a little bit too small though.
I think the resort is good for a short stay, but i would never spend more than two/three nights there. It totally lacks of "personality".

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Franci N
Hi,
If you could please send me a message with the room number you stayed in I would be very interested to personally investigate this as soon as possible. We take such claims seriously and use comments for quality control. Please send message to: Manager@velerobeach.com
Our goals are highly influenced by client feedback and we strive to make staying at Velero Beach Resort not just a place to stay, but an experience worth coming back for. The Manager
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 14 April 2014

For sure this is not a resort, the property is very small in front of the beach. The tide is very strong so please do not enter swim to the ocean, is very dangerous.
We were at the first floor the bad thing of this is we were STOLEN nobody could help us. Housekeepers were not to good.
Thanks for the “great vacations”.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Lisa R
S A, General Manager at Velero Beach Resort, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
I have, as the GM of Velero Beach Resort Cabarete, reported your response to Trip Advisor for their investigation. If you actually stayed with us and had something stolen, I would have known about that immediately. Nothing is impossible however, and everyone is entitled to an opinion of course, but we are also looking through our records to verify if this is an authentic review. If indeed it is, please communicate with us with the email on our website and we will certainly address your concerns.
Ask to speak with the manager.
Ted