“'On the beach' location! Best in Cabarete.”

Velero Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Cabarete
Devon UK
“'On the beach' location! Best in Cabarete.”
Reviewed 16 March 2009

Spent 10 days here with my husband and really couldn't fault it. We were made to feel very welcome, nothing was too much trouble. Very friendly hotel right on the beach with the most spectacular views across the bay. Best accommodation in Cabarete!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SKT_Devon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Reviewed 12 February 2009

Just returned from a three night stay at Velero Beach and loved it once again. This was our third stay there but we hadn't been back in almost 5 years and were wondering if we would like it as much as we had on our previous visits. And we did!!! It's a spotlessly clean, scrupulously maintained, comfortable property that has a very homey feeling to it. We had a superior suite as it was the last room available when we called to reserve and en-joyed it thoroughly---2 bathrooms, lovely balcony, fully-equipped kitchen, and the best location in Cabarete. Two of the best restaurants there are a stone's throw away as well as grocery stores, other bars and restaurants, casino, etc. within a 5-10 minute walk. Beds are a little firm but sleeping was easy as the area is very quiet at night. The town of Cabarete is a great mix of people of all ages and much fun with lots to see and do. Some of the restaurants we enjoyed were Toma La Luna, Otra Cosa , Casa de Cheo, Claro and the restaurant at Velero Beach which was always good but I think has even gotten better. Many thanks to Elevia at the front desk for her help securing us a room on relatively short notice and all her advice. Looking forward to returning to this lovely, relaxing spot which we feel is very reasonably priced for what you get.

• Liked — Location and comfortable, homey feeling
  • Disliked — beds a little firm
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank skygoddess46
minneapolis
Reviewed 22 January 2009

First of all Cabarete is one of the best places to travel if you are young and active or have a combination of active people and those who just want to hang out on the beach. Overall it was a great trip I would go back next year to the same place. The ride from the airport was only 25 minutes. We had my parents, (nearly 60) Myself and my boyfriend (age 28) and My sister, her husband and her baby. (34, 32, 18 months). There was only one taxi with a car seat so you may want to call ahead for it. We stayed in the Penthouse suite which was 3 rooms all for $300 a night so $50 a person! The place was nice, the pictures on the website were very accurate. It's nice to have a balcony, and the kitchen was great. The only thing that I didn't like was that the bathroom only had shampoo and shower soap and nothing else, you have to bring all your own stuff. Though if you forget to there is a grocery store a block away with many of those things. The electric and A/C worked the whole time no problem. The other thing I noticed was no hot tub, though I have found that any hot tub in warm places is usually only room temp. We went to hotel Alegria to go in there hot tub one night and found it to be luke warm only.The beds were in great condition mostly harder. There was a TV with a dvd player, they provided us with a crib and height chair for the baby. Also the master bedroom was amazing with a huge bathroom and a private balcony. Also good about Velero is it is out of the wind so on windy days or in the afternoon (about 2-5 it is windy almost every day) At Velaro it is just a pleasant breeze that will not impede on your laying at the beach. If you're a kiter it's only a $6 cab ride to town. But you may want to try and stay in the condos next to Kite Club because they are great and you just walk out and kite. I was trying to please my whole family however so we stayed out of the wind. Though it is fun to just watch the kiters jump so go down one windy afternoon and check it out. We went to many great restaurant that I simply must tell you about. Some places are just terrible to eat at so just picking a place by how it looks is hit or miss. First do the Iguana Mama half day downhill bike tour, the breakfast on top of the mountain is gorgeous and delicious! Also next to Velero is a place called Altra Cosa which is french cuisine we ordered 6 different things and were all happy, but beware if you are not used to rare tuna it is cooked extremely rare. Toma la Luna is also amazing food, it has a little bit of everything. Also Hotel Alegria right next door has the best breakfast in Cabarete. Very cheap too! Also the Serenade on the beach is a bit of a walk but well worth it. Try the curry dish it's amazing! As for things to do while you're there check out Iguana Mama tours, they speak english and have a great reputation. The best tour by far is the 27 water fall. You have to be at least 12 years old to go on this tour and I suggest bringing a shorty wetsuit because you spend a lot of time in the water and mountain water is colder than the wonderful 80 degree ocean water. The tour involves hiking up a bunch of waterfalls and jumping off some of them and also sliding down some like a water slide. Very fun but listen when they tell you to keep your hands on your chest otherwise you bang your elbow. Bring about 200 pesos to tip your guides in the end. About money: bring cash. Bring about $1000 and keep most of it in the safe in your room. Getting money isn't that big a deal down there just go to a bank and get pesos. People give you a better deal if you pay in pesos. If you are a kiter. Go to Kite Club on kite beach to kite. Best side on winds you will get them all week. Also the wind reports are about 5-6 knots lower on the site than they actually are. It blew about 26k every afternoon. It gets crowded so try to get there at noon and set up your gear and get out by 12:30 the winds are usually strong enough by then to get out. I hadn't kited in a while so I rented a helmet and someone to watch me for $20 from Kite Club. I didn't realize how much help he would be. He help set up my gear, launched my kite, found my lost board, and told me about the conditions. I gave him a tip that he entirely earned. Another good thing about kite club is they have an air compresser to fill up your kite instead of pumping. There is surf to ride as well if you go further out. Or you can do a down winder to Encuentro beach ( the surf beach with 8 foot waves) then you can take a cab back. One day we took a surf lesson for $40 which was really fun but you have to get up at 6 in the morning. Then you go to Encountro beach and a guide teaches you how to ride white water (after the wave crashes) which is not dangerous at all. If you are experienced at surfing there are 1.5-2 meter waves that are long and spectacular. Bring your surf booties though because the beach is a little rough on the feet. If you take a lesson it includes the booties and rash guard. And a very cold hungover dominican standing in the water telling you what to do. Eat before you go there is almost nothing to eat there. Also bring a towel. Beach volley ball is another thing we did a lot of, there are nets all along the beach. All and all we had a really good trip, the only thing I wished was that hotel Velero had a hammock. oh one more thing, you hear about vendors constantly badgering people on the internet. NOT TRUE just do most of your walking on the beach. We would only get one or two a day at most, all you have to say is no and they move on. It's not a big deal at all! Also about all the shots vaccines and malaria pills you should take: I called the CDC they said it is a good idea to be safe. Though it is not a big problem and i have gone to Belize without taking them, I decided to take them. You can ask for a more expensive type that only takes two weeks to take that has virtually no side effects. I took that--cost me $50 though. Don't drink the water, the hotel provides you with bottled water, though one time I forgot and i didn't get sick. Also don't take rides from the scooter taxi they are super dangerous. Oh also if you don't kite go to a kite school down the beach and ask to fly a trainer kite you can fly them for free for an hour and it's really fun! Also the food at velero is good, though not as much for lunch, dinner and breakfast were great though. The coffee was amazing.

• Liked — Clean comfortable beautiful hotel right on the beach close to town with tons of adventure and kiting nearby. Also many choices in restaurants.
  • Disliked — Nothing all that significant: no hammock, not a lot of shower soaps in bathroom, lunch menu at the hotel restaurant (just go somewhere else)
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank laurenkites
harrogate
Reviewed 21 January 2009

Lovely hotel,would fully recommend. Great if you want a very smart hotel for honeymoon but want to explore the local area too rather than be restricted in an all inclusive type set up.

Very comfortable, clean and attentive staff. The room was great with a king sized bed and terrace. Pretty swimming pool and beds around the pool, which overlooks the beach.

We loved cabarete. We did kite surfing and enjoyed trying all of the restaurants and bars on the beach at night.

• Liked — well presented, clean, nice room, position
  • Disliked — they did not have fresh juice at breakfast, it was from concentrate and the room service menu wasnt very extensive
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
athens, ga
Reviewed 7 January 2009

My family live all over the world and we like to get together in one place every Christmas. This was our second trip to the Velero. It once again exceeded our expectations.

The Velero is very well run and the staff couldn't be more helpful or friendly. All our rooms had a surperb view of the ocean. Everything is well maintained and spotlessly clean. The grounds are lovely too.
The hotel's location is ideal. It is only a short 20 minute drive to the Puerta Plata airport and maybe a 90 drive to Santiango Airport (which is a spectacularly beautiful drive over the hills). We also like that the hotel is at the end of the main beach as it is a little quieter. Yet it is a short 3 minute walk to the supermarket, laundry, little catholic church, ATM and the shops. One great addition this year was the opening of the Toma La Luna restaurant right next door to the hotel. The food here is excellent and the owner and staff are terrific. Give it a try, you won't be dissappointed.

We spent 12 days this time and never ran out of things to do - from swimming, kite sailing lessons, sailing, snokling in Sosua, golfing in Playa Grande, biking with Iguana Mama, and lots of games of scrabble by the pool side. You will love it!

• Liked — The friendliness of the staff
  • Disliked — Loved everything!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank irishathens
Alghade 16
Reviewed 18 December 2008

Excellent place, excellent hotel, excellent staff

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank kilstrup
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 25 November 2008

Where to begin? Velero is exactly as presented on their website and as depicted in the glowing reviews here. It's a beautiful property made even better due to the incredible service. It's especially wonderful because it's ever so slightly off the beaten path. Just a short walk down the beach or down the street to anything anyone could possibly want. Yet far enough away from the lights/noise/activity to have an incredibly peaceful and relaxing vacation.

I cannot say enough about how amazing the staff was and how much we enjoyed our stay. Even with less than stellar weather, we had an unbelievably relaxing and excellent time. The room, a junior suite, had a small, full kitchen equipped with everything one could need - including coffee maker, toaster, blender, utensils, etc. The bathroom had a hotel-style hair dryer and soap and shampoo. The bed was firm and perfect, an excellent overhead fan, and blackout drapes (key in my opinion!). Big balconies and great air conditioning - an important detail when the weather is hot and humid. The view from the balcony - or even when lying in the comfy bed - was breathtaking. The sound of the waves crashing on the shore lulled us to sleep (on the nights that were cool enough to leave the balcony door open) and on clear nights we could see stars everywhere - another bonus to being just a bit away from the hustle and bustle. Cable TV with a zillion channels. Great daily maid service. Internet available in the business center as well as books, magazines and information for the taking. Great little store and lovely restaurant - again with great staff, gorgeous views (overlooking the ocean) and great food and drinks. The pool is just delightful and steps away from the beach. Big beach towels, lounge chairs and wonderful big "beds" on the beach - a really nice touch.

I would characterize the resort as high end - without high end prices - but still casual and relaxed. It's by far the nicest place in Cabarete but in no way feels over the top or in any way stuffy unlike the way some higher end places sometimes feel. It's impeccably clean and well kept, including the rooms. They were very comfortable and very nicely furnished, and we felt completely relaxed and at home.

The staff was truly outstanding - from the front desk (extraordinary service) to the security staff (3 full time security guards on the property which may not be at all necessary as we felt entirely safe anywhere in town and at the resort, but still a very reassuring thing) to the restaurant staff and the hotel crew. How delightful it was to arrive at the hotel after a long day of traveling to find they were completely ready and waiting for us - down to copies of my emails with my room location request to the packet with cards to get towels, TV remote and air conditioning remote. The last time I experienced service like this was many years ago at a very expensive hotel in downtown Sao Paolo - and I expected it there. At Velero, it was just the icing on the cake of this amazing place.

So I hope I've made it clear - I loved everything about Velero (and I'm a hard one to please). I highly highly recommend it - I wouldn't choose anywhere else in Cabarete - and I cannot wait to go to their new development in a few years. I have no doubt it will be outstanding as well.

• Liked — Unbelievable view, right on the beach, great pool and restaurant and fabulous staff
  • Disliked — There was absolutely nothing to not like!
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple