See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 19 May 2013

My 26 year old daughter and her boyfriend stayed at this resort and said that it was nice for Dominican Republic standards. They enjoyed the pools and the big rooms. However one night they sat on coconut palms beach and waited for the sun to set. No one else was on the beach. Some thing very serious happened and it was extremely traumatic for them. As a result of this terrible experience they will never go back to the Dominican republic. After the event occurred they went to the staff at Coconut Palms resort to report it and the front staff wouldn't even get off the phone. They asked for it to be reported to the police and nothing was ever done. I am writing this not to scare people away, but to caution people so that this terrible thing will not happen to anyone else.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
17  Thank margEdmonton
Reviewed 14 May 2013

This resort is not very large. The ground surrounding the resort is next to nothing. The resort is surrounded by a small village and small farms and they each can be reached by walking less than 200 ft. from any side or back exit of the resort. The road from the entrance to the reception lobby is the world’s worst. It is unpaved, full of large rocks, potholes …you name it. The resort is located between two small towns about five miles in either direction. A very nice supermarket (and fairly large) was located in the one town to its north (Sosua). The resort provides only one gallon of water in your unit upon arrival. After that you are on your own. Their water is not recommended for drinking. The resort has only one small restaurant. We ate only once at this restaurant. The food was well prepared and the prices on the menu were reasonable (avg. dinner price approx. $18). The selections offered on the menu were standard and adequate. A minimart was located approximately 1/3 mile from the resort reception area. The prices at this minimart were reasonable. Also bottled watered was available at a reasonable price.
The resort structure and furnishing was of a Spanish theme. The furniture, looking somewhat ancient, was adequate in terms of comfort and accommodations. However, the plumbing fixtures in the shower and the wash basin were outdated in design and signs of rust were noticeable. The water pressure in the shower was low and the shower head design and location combined with the low pressure made for ineffective operation and lengthy showers in order to get clean. We were located on the top floor (3rd). The resort did not have elevators. The lack of this feature gives evidence of the age of the resort. This also translated into the requirement of its guests (located on the 2nd & 3rd floors) needing to be somewhat physically fit.
Housekeeping was provided on a daily basis. The rooms were well kept for the most part. Initially we had a minor problem with ants on the floor of our kitchen. After spraying with some insecticide (which we purchased on our own) the problem was resolved. Most of the staff was friendly and courteous, but was a little lackadaisical in responding to a few of our concerns.
The resort had only one swimming pool. The nearest beach (Encuentro Beach) could be reached via a 15 min. walk. The resort provided free shuttle service but it was only available around every two hrs. This beach was very isolated, quiet, had very little activity and had very few visitors. It was clean and well kept. Because of its rough waves it was popular for surfing but not so popular for swimming. The resort does not have a fitness facility.
Newly arriving guest which arrive via rental car should be aware of locals posing as resort staff and who will approach your car and insist on guiding you from the resort entrance to its reception area. Once there they will try to help you with your luggage and, using ominous suggestive body language, they wait for you to give them a generous tip. Note that there is a road that goes directly from the entrance to the reception area, however the deceiving locals will insist that the route they use, which goes thru a village surrounding the resort, is the quicker and smoother route. Unfortunately we got caught in this scam.
The area and the location are nice especially if you have a car. However we don't anticipate staying at this resort again.

Room Tip: If you don,t like walking up and down steps, choose a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
12  Thank CjtBjt
Reviewed 21 April 2013

I stayed at the coconut palms for one week April 13-20th. There were seven people in our group and we had one two bedroom unit and two one bedroom units side by side. We had units 17,18,19. I was nervous after having seen quite a few negative reviews but I was pleasantly surprised. The number one asset at this hotel is the amazing staff. Everyone was so very helpful and sweet. A special shout out to Luis Almonte the activities coordinator. He is easily the hardest working man at the Palms. Luis went over and above the call of duty by giving us any information we needed, setting up a special surprise for my mom at the beach, taking us to the market to buy fresh fish and setting up excursions. On our last day he even jumped in the pool and joined in on a family volleyball game. One of the staff told us the day after our arrival that we were now a part of the Palms family and Luis really made us feel this way. The units were all clean and well stocked. We had a broken toaster but a replacement was sent within five minutes of reporting it. The housekeeping staff were very thorough and kind. We left a tip everyday (100 pesos) and they did our dishes too. We ate most dinners as a group in our unit so it was very nice not to have to worry about doing dishes on our vacation. The food at the Palm Room was incredible and reasonably priced. Happy hour was very happy with two for one drinks. I suggest the banana mama. The hotel offers a free shuttle into Cabarete often and you can get a ride to the beach if you would like. If you are going to prepare your own meals I suggest going to the grocery store in Sosua. It is well stocked and reasonably priced. Shopping in Cabarete can be somewhat overwhelming as there are many stores within a small area and vendors can be pushy but I did not experience any rudeness when politely saying "no thank you". Just a little advice...the hamburgers, hot dogs and processed cheese at the super market are not like what we have in Canada. Avoid these products and go for the seafood, chicken, fresh eggs and fruit. It is so delicious and fresh and you can really taste the quality. While in town we went to Friends for lunch and it was very good food and run by a French woman. The fresh bread is wonderful and you have to try the fresh frozen lemonade. Some people in my group went deep sea fishing and did not enjoy the experience. It cost approx 50 USD per person and nobody caught anything. The group did enjoy the boat ride in the ocean though. Overall the hotel is quiet, clean and friendly. It was perfect for our family and we hope to go back again soon. There are two beautiful cats that hang around the place that we named Tomas and lupita that don't bother anybody. There were lots of complaints of bugs and rats in the review. In our group of seven there was a large spider in one room one day. One of the staff removed it and assured us it was not dangerous. That's it.
Important points
-turn on the hot water tank in or around the closet.
-you cannot flush toilet paper. It's not that big of a deal. Their plumbing can't handle it.
-stoves are gas. Be careful.
-Luis is the man to see about everything.
-if you have left over food when you leave give it to the staff sothey can feed their families. No sense wasting it.
-there is a scotiabank in Cabarete but not all of our group was able to use their bank cards there. Call your bank and let them know you will be there so they don't shut your card down.
-bring cab money for excursions to the towns. If you use Daniel he is fantastic and will give you a bit of a guided tour. Cabs wait for you at your destination for your return trip.

The biggest down side to staying at the Coconut Palms is that it requires a lot of travelling as it is not directly in town. If you're considering going here just take the plunge and do it.

the Coconut Palm is fantastic as long as you are not too uptight. It could use some updating but overall the atmosphere reminds you that we're in a country with far less money than us. Be kind and tip people, that's how they earn a living!

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
12  Thank sclermont
Reviewed 6 April 2013

We have been members of RCI for over 25 years and have to say this was the WORST resort we have stayed in. First the location was outside of Cabarete several miles and required us to take an expensive taxis to town every day. Second, the resort was very run down. The tiles in the condo were chipped, cracked, or in general dis repair. We checked in late Sunday night to a ground floor room. I heard a screem from my wife from the bathroom. I ran in and killed a large cockroach. I came out and poured a glass of wine. I sat down on the couch and then saw a spider the size of my fist crawling up the wall. I kill this and went to the front dest to have my family moved to the second floor. I went to town the very next morning to buy Raid. I sprayed the room every day. This did not prohibit the daily large cockroach infestation. The beds were uncomfortable. No air conditioning made it impossible to sleep if there was no wind. I really don't understand the reviews I had read on this location. I use tripadvisor always to plan my destinations. This is the only time I was miss lead. The individuals who gave it a good review obviously have low expectations.

DO NOT GO TO THIS RCI LOCATION!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
14  Thank Robert H
Reviewed 26 March 2013

My wife and I booked a 1-bedroom with a partial kitchen using RCI TImeshare points based on a "silver crown" (or something similar) as shown on the exchange directory. When we arrived, we was the plaques, but they were about 10 years old and the 10 years showed. We initially had no hot water - nobody told us to turn on the hot water heater that was in the one closet with doors in the unit. The dining table was greasy and the coffe table was sagging in the middle. The room was definitely in need of a lot of work - the ceiling in the kichen has been painted over where there had been a leak from the unit upstairs. The plumbing is so outdated that you could not drink the water or flush toilet paper (the toilet paper was to be put in a trash can - yuck!!!). If you want to blow dry your hair or iron an outfit you better bring your own - otherwise you have to call the fron desk and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait some more. Our room was on the right side of the main stairway - directly across from some condominium. Every night there was loud talking, yelling and/or a party in the condos that made sleep difficult. And there are no glass windows to shut to minimize the noise.

Beware of the "meeting" they will schedule for you to tell you about the local activities and attractions - it is actually a timeshare sales pitch

Room Tip: Based on my experience, the best way to choose a good room is to find a different place to stay!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple