See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

4th of September - 18th of September.
Great 2 weeks of my life.
Lived in the apartments there, great scenery, very close to the ocean (not more then 5 minutes of slow walking), right next to a surf spot (I recommend Pauhana Surfing School, they know what surfing is).
Definitely will be there again.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Artur S
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We travel often in timeshares and are used to comfortable quarters. This one was just OK. Luckily I had read some reviews and called ahead of time to request air conditioning (it's only in the bedrooms) and a quiet spot. Even so, we heard dogs barking all night (we were told they are guard dogs for the next door property).
We did not rent a car and called the resort to request a taxi. "Chero" showed up at the airport with a pink card. This was awesome since there were at least 30 drivers with white cards.
Be careful of the front door to the timeshare. Both my husband and I got our fingers caught several times.

I brought my own pillow and was very glad that I did. Theirs are flat and musty.
We didn't see any roaches, but small ants are everywhere. Be meticulous about leaving food around.

We took 2 excursions and enjoyed both. One was to the caves and the other was the Puerta Plata all day trip. The latter was interesting. Going to the caves is not for those out of shape or
disabled. It is a long steep climb into the caves, but worth it.

Bring pepto bismol! Many of us at the resort got sick even with meticulous washing of the food and brushing our teeth with bottled water. Make your ice cubes with bottled water too!

Our cell phones only worked in town (verizon). One night our son tried to call twice which, in our family, is the distress signal. I called the desk and they promptly called his number and patched us through. They were very helpful.

The massages by Mariana were fabulous! She is right on site and they are $25 each or 5 for $100. Be careful about your time. My appts did get mixed up and the resort did not really care.

The kitchen is adequate. There are no measuring devices or spices.

This is more of an adventurous place, not luxurious. If you lower your expectations, you can enjoy the people of the DR (we tried to meet and talk with as many as possible) and hang by the pool for happy hour. We did not go out at night.

The resort's beach is a 15 min walk, BUT the road is paved in some sections and dirt/rock in others.
We enjoyed the wind surfing at Cabarete beach. Just keep saying "no" to the peddlers.

Room Tip: Call ahead fir air conditioning.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Chris T
Reviewed 21 October 2013

This is a lovely property with some rooms with ocean front views.
A 3 star hotel which in Mexico is equivalent to a 2 hotel.
The food is good and the service is good, but a little pricey.
The pool is large and warm.
For a remote location it is not very quiet. The cows and the roosters in the morning would wake me up. It did not seem to bother my brother.
Often there is gun fire at night from local house robberies.
The property it self is very safe and there is no danger of petty theft.
They are not putting any money into fixing the place up, so there are some leaking, mechanical problems. They allow cabs to camp at the door step, and they gouge the guests as much as they can, because they want you captive, for the fist couple of days in order to sell a time share.
There are shared taxis right out front on the highway and for about $1.25 you can get to Cabarete or Sosua. Tuesdays to Fridays there is a free shuttle to Cabarete.
There is a local store with in walking distance, with a little selection of necessities.
They do not serve drinks pool side and I find happy hour is too sugary and pricey for me. I keep a selection in the fridge.
The beach is very nice but you have to be careful, often there is a strong under tow.
I prefer the beaches in Sosua.
If you are at the beaches on Sundays then that is Dominican day, which is ok if you are looking for adventure, every Dominican comes from miles around to hit the beaches that day.
They have a bartender there that will hit on your wife and young daughter, and a local that will try and kiss your husband.
Often locals show up with out a member ship and take over the pool area.
The recommended activities are good with exception to the fish fry. It is all can eat on Wednesdays, and the fried fish is very good but for a select few, often the owner tries pass off shark filet instead, because it is cheaper.
There is plenty of wild life there, the rats are called Dominican squirrels, the cock roaches greeters, just check your bag before you leave you might take a friend home with you.

Room Tip: The central rooms have the best view
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank thefactotum
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Do not leave until you check your credit card.......I have personal experience with charges neither my husband are I didn't make.......I have been trying since I got home to get help with this and have received no help at all

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank becboo36
Reviewed 28 June 2013

If you are looking for a 5 star resort …. This is not your hotel… but if u are looking for a simple place with a kitchen where u will not be bothered… let me introduce u to the palm…this is an outdated resort looks to be mid 80’s in design…and no there is no air conditioner and yes u have to turn on the hot water tank…but I like the layed back atmosphere of the hotel…I would not recommend a meal plan cause u can go into town and eat for about 200p (around $5) ….we also ended up at the grocery store and purchased 500p of food and had BLT’s and sandwiches for a few days…during the day we grabbed a Wawa for 25p and it would run us into either Calibrate or Sousa for the day…Wawa’s only run during the daytime and yes u will have to share the ride with 5-10 people but it only takes about 10min….if you are appose to local transportation u can grab a cab at the hotel or at the side of the road… to get to either town. the beach by the hotel is rocky and mostly used for surfing….but there is one advantage u will not get bugged by people trying to sell u anything at the hotel beach and u can get a drink if u want. You want a great beach head over to the Lazy Dog in Cabarete
I did find a few bugs and lizards but nothing I have not seen in other tropical countries I have visited….the staff does not run around looking for tips…Vince serves great drinks in the evening..in general I liked the hotel and the people I met there were great. I found it clean but not sterol….

Room Tip: we stayed on the second floor and I am not sure if any of the rooms have AC but we did not find it nessary...we like the heat
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple