See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Coconut Palms was not luxury 5 star, but the service was amazing they worked hard to ensure a special time, even folding our laundry and doing our dishes. Surfing access is close, but getting to any nearby towns or resorts it a hassle. Also it is a $ 30 cab ride from the airport. The excursions were pretty great, I would recommend the waterfall slide tour. The food was decent, but the resort was older and the penthouse even lacked air conditioning.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Mark S
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Our family of 5 stayed at this resort for a week. It was wonderful. Great access to the beach unless you had a wheelchair. The rooms were clean and comfortable. We wished for a few more kitchen gadgets i.e. a pizza cutter etc. because we cooked a lot, but otherwise it was great! Very happy with the staff and the accomodations!

Room Tip: Book early and ask for an ocean-front room. Ours was an ocean-view and though we could see the ocean, it would've been fun to be facing it.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Pam P
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Coconut Palms is a very tired, rundown and noisy place but it does have good food. We had the misfortune of staying in unit #41, located very close tho the bar. If you are a late nighter and like obnoxiously loud music, you will like this unit. At 11:00PM I called the front desk about the volume of "tunes". To their credit he did call the bar to have the volume lowered but the subwuffer still rattled my bones till midnight.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Russ W
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

4th of September - 18th of September.
Great 2 weeks of my life.
Lived in the apartments there, great scenery, very close to the ocean (not more then 5 minutes of slow walking), right next to a surf spot (I recommend Pauhana Surfing School, they know what surfing is).
Definitely will be there again.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Artur S
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We travel often in timeshares and are used to comfortable quarters. This one was just OK. Luckily I had read some reviews and called ahead of time to request air conditioning (it's only in the bedrooms) and a quiet spot. Even so, we heard dogs barking all night (we were told they are guard dogs for the next door property).
We did not rent a car and called the resort to request a taxi. "Chero" showed up at the airport with a pink card. This was awesome since there were at least 30 drivers with white cards.
Be careful of the front door to the timeshare. Both my husband and I got our fingers caught several times.

I brought my own pillow and was very glad that I did. Theirs are flat and musty.
We didn't see any roaches, but small ants are everywhere. Be meticulous about leaving food around.

We took 2 excursions and enjoyed both. One was to the caves and the other was the Puerta Plata all day trip. The latter was interesting. Going to the caves is not for those out of shape or
disabled. It is a long steep climb into the caves, but worth it.

Bring pepto bismol! Many of us at the resort got sick even with meticulous washing of the food and brushing our teeth with bottled water. Make your ice cubes with bottled water too!

Our cell phones only worked in town (verizon). One night our son tried to call twice which, in our family, is the distress signal. I called the desk and they promptly called his number and patched us through. They were very helpful.

The massages by Mariana were fabulous! She is right on site and they are $25 each or 5 for $100. Be careful about your time. My appts did get mixed up and the resort did not really care.

The kitchen is adequate. There are no measuring devices or spices.

This is more of an adventurous place, not luxurious. If you lower your expectations, you can enjoy the people of the DR (we tried to meet and talk with as many as possible) and hang by the pool for happy hour. We did not go out at night.

The resort's beach is a 15 min walk, BUT the road is paved in some sections and dirt/rock in others.
We enjoyed the wind surfing at Cabarete beach. Just keep saying "no" to the peddlers.

Room Tip: Call ahead fir air conditioning.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple