“Great place for a no frills, laid back get away”

Coconut Palms Resort
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Cabarete
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Great place for a no frills, laid back get away”
Reviewed 25 May 2009

The staff was one of the best we have had anywhere. We are not high maintenance folks, but all of our needs were taken care of promptly. This is exactly what we were looking for for a restful Spring break. The hotel was just the right size... not too big that you get lost in the mix and just small enough that you get to know everyone in the place by the end of the week. We loved the food, the tiki bar was great and the pool area was excellent. Great family oriented atmosphere. The beach was great for wind surfing and regular surfing if that is your thing. The beach is really a pristine undeveloped area. The resort sits a short walk up the hill from the beach. Liked the open air rooms... the temperature was always right with a little help from the fan. If you are looking for a 4 or 5 star resort, don't go here. But if you are looking for a great place to hide out from the world, this is a winner!!! Kudos to the staff for keeping this ship running great.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Redondo Beach
Reviewed 30 March 2009

Arrived at Coconut Palms tired from a long flight fromLos Angeles and was in our room in less than 30 minutes. The room was really more than I expected from some of the pics and reviews. The maid brought us extra sheets,pillows and blankets for my daughters friend who used the fold out couch for a bed. The room was clean no bugs but brought my bug spray just in case.

I exchanged with RCI and this was one of very few non- All-Inclusive Resorts in the Dominican . I also liked the fact I was in a area known for wave, wind, and kite surfing and not the typical 5 Star Resort attitude. Yes it is true the walk to the beach is among horses, cows, and chickens grazing in the grass but I found it refereshing. Or you can just take the beach shuttle and close your eyes till you get there.

We ate at the local restaurants in Cabarete most of time because we did want to taste the real Dominican flavor (El Mello, Sandros Cafeteria, Paradise). At the resort the restaurant is open and airy and the few dishes I did have were very tasty (Chicken Soup, Seafood stew, the vegetable platter) the preparation is a little slow at all the restaurants including the resort but it's because everything is made fresh and not sitting in a pot over a warmer, it's worth the wait.

The resort also has a great Tiki Bar by the pool with Victor ready to serve, and a M'endys Bar and Grill on the beach. The beach is not the typical slow rolling Caribbean waves that you might expect, its a surf machine. Surf instructors (Christian and Gabriel) are all along the beach with their surf shacks well equipped for surf lessons. Also you have horseback riding on the beach, with surf doggies trailing behind you which is better than the countless vendors you would encounter in other resorts.

The location is perfect for someone who enjoys both the quiet time away from the overcrowded noisy mega resorts and the option of going to either Sosua or Cabarete for dinner and entertainment. Myself, my daughter and her friend have agreed we will return to this location because the genuine feeling that this laid back surfing area and the friends we made here are priceless memories will bring us back.

If you need your phone, a huge TV, room service, and don't want to enjoy a culture we could learn from....Don't book at this resort!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank NoBadDays
Saskatchewan
Reviewed 12 March 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Coconut Palms resort for three weeks in Feb. We enjoyed our holiday very much and would like to share some tips with future travellers. Our rooms on the third floor were very nice with a great view. We did hear some guests on the main floor complain about noise and ants. The windows were screened but we found that airconditioning was not necessary at this time of year, in fact we asked for an extra blanket. We did three tours out of the hotel during our stay, Paradise Island (long bus ride, rained all day, cold and poor snorkeling, good rum), Catamaran (rained all day, very rough ocean, thirteen people including me had to be taken ashore in Sosua because of sea sickness) and in my opinion the best was on Thursdays the hotel offers a shuttle to the caves in Cabarete for a cost of 20US (interesting caves with a nice little pond to swim in 75 feet down.). I rode horse for 90 min. most mornings down by the beach, its a lovely ride along the surf to Cabarete. The manager of the horses is a little hard to communicate with and some of the horses seem a little thin and have saddle sores but generaly they appear to be fairly well taken care of. At about 4:30 each day they drive the herd down the beach toward Sosua to the overnight pasture and I got some cool pictures as they passed. Our other favorite passtime was walking. If you walk down the beach toward Sosua for about 30 - 40 min. you come to a very nice little restaurant perfect for lunch or supper. If you walk the beach about an hour the other direction (sometimes you have to stay inland a bit because of rock outcrops) you can find your way to Cabarete beach. Every afternoon seems to be windy and you can watch the most amazing kite surfing in the world. This beach is not good for snorkeling but the waves are fun to body surf in. There is a lady from Haiti there who gives the BEST massage ever right on the beach. Her name is Cecilia, she is about 6'5" and has wonderful strong hands, speaks four languages and has a sweet gentle nature. Tell her Barb from the Coconut Palms sent you. Also you will see an older lady (about 60yrs) carrying a bowl of fruit on her head. It looks like she probably had a stroke because she drags one leg and her arm is also damaged, she speaks french. She has been walking that same beach 9 hrs a day, 7 days a week for twenty years, her name is Anna (Anna Banana the locals call her) Please buy her a bottle of water and purchase some of her wonderful fruit. On Cabarete beach our favorite lunch was the 50% off pizza and beer at Cassanovas from 2-4 PM each day. The Irish pub next door has great nachos as well. We did go to the beach in Sosua as well and really didn't like the way it was set up. The beach is very narrow forcing you to walk the extremely long vendors row -be prepared to say no-thankyou hundreds of times, you cannot avoid it!
If you prefer to take a taxi to Cabarete or Sosua it will cost quite a bit. My husband and I decided to do like the locals and take the GuaGua. It is the bus service but is actually an 8 seater minivan they load up (we have heard of up to 28 people). If you stand on the side of the road the van will approach you with lights flashing and horn honking, if you raise your arm they will stop and you jump in. It costs about 50 pesos for two people (state the price and destination before you get in). Its propbably not the safest transportation around but you meet the local people and its kind of fun. Traffic there is insane!!!! I would strongly recommend you NOT ride a motorcyle, its suicide. The economy there is not good right now, tourism is down drastically which leaves many of the people in a bad way financially. We found the vendors to be generally very nice even though I suspect many are desperate for sales to feed their families. Watch out for the white shirts (time share) they will steal a day of your holidays and your money if your not careful. They don't give you the food or entertainment they promise and don't let you go if you allow them to drive you anywhere. Stay Clear. Fernando at the hotel is a little better, he will let you go after 30 or 40 min if you insist and he gives you a 50.00US gift certificate for your time. His problem is that he then hounds you for the remainder of your stay. You have to be really firm and don't ask questions. The only other thing I would advise is about health. DO NOT allow any tap water into your mouth (don't rinse your toothbrush) use some Javex in your dish water rinse. Many people at the hotel were getting sick, we avoided it but were very careful. Also I highly recommend that you do not eat at the Coconut Palms beach bar, not even the wednesday fish fry.(Just look out back at where they clean the fish) and DO NOT use the bathroom down there- its Nasty with no wash up available!!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank giddyupbarby
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 8 March 2009

Previous reviews had us worried. We did not find this web site until too late. As we had already booked CP through RCI which rates it 4 stars. What lie!

We can echo some of the other reviews. It is located right next to highway 5. Very busy all day and night. Not to bad if you get a room away from the highway with a view fo the distant ocean. It is pleasnt little hotel but not a resort by any stretch. The staff is very friendly and helpful but they cannot do much with what they have. There are no other resorts or hotels nearby. No shopping either unless you go into Sosua or Cabarete. Both are about a $12 US cab ride. The hotel has bus service but it only starts on Tuesday through Friday.

The rooms are bit spartan. The living room of our until had a plastic covered couch, a table with 4 chairs and some dishes. The refridgerator was workin but showed some rust. The rooms all have only screens on the windows with no glass. There are loovers that can be closed. No air conditioning!!! The bed mattress was OK but the quality of the frame was cheap. We had a ground floor room just opposite the bar so it was a bit noisy in the evening. But with the windows closed and the innner door closed it was OK. They do have computer room with 2 computers available for use for free. Wireless was also available as we saw someone using his own computer near the hotel computer room.

The beach view was really only of the ocean since the beach was about 1/2 mile away. It was a 10 minute walk through a cow pasture on a dirt road. There was a ride available, but the road was very bumpy making for an uncomfortable ride. The road up the hotel from the highway was no much better. Needs a repair.

The beach was very nice with good sand. There is a little bar/snack bar at the beach but the hygene is highly suspect. I would not eat there. The banyo there was filty with a wet floor. There are surf boards and wind sailing rental available. There is a popular windsurfing hangout just up the beach. The hotel provides some lounge chairs at the beach.

Some other guests saw bugs and spiders. We did not. Some people there loved it but others including us did not. What waste of a week. A short notice trip and this was all RCI could come up with.

USE CAUTION when you go into town as there are time share sales personnel all over the place. Avoid them at your wallets peril. One positive note was the massage my wife received at the hotel. Very reasonable price and excellent massage.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed 5 January 2009

My friend and I stayed here through her time share and it was really pretty. We had a 3 bed room on the third floor and the view was just breathtaking. The tv in the living room was large at least 25" and the two biggest bedrooms had balconies. The staff was very responsive and we got along with everyone. They tried very hard to make our stay pleasant and if we needed anything was very accomodating.

It is true that there are no windows and you can hear everything roosters, crickets, cars and people but truthfully it was part of the charm of the place; waking up in paradise which is going to be different than what you have at home. There were ant issues in our room but having traveled several times to the caribbean I was prepared with my own bug spray that took care of it. One night we had a rather large spider on the lamp and my friend screamed bloody murder. The front desk immediately called to see what the problem was and sent someone up to remove it for us.

It is true that is in the middle of no where but we had a rental car so for me it was not a problem. But I can see where it could feel a little isolating however people who do not rent a car are expecting to ride around in taxis. If you feel the prices are too high negotiate a better one or walk down to the road and catch one there. You will not pay $25 for it, only if you like getting taken advantage of.

The bottom line is that it is not home, if you are going there expecting to find that or even better you may be disappointed. It is a caribbean island and the better you are going to find is great weather and time that seems to stand still. Other than that it is worth it to trade a few hard beds and loud farm life for the view and the sun.

• Liked — The staff and the view
  • Disliked — The lack of air conditioning and the internet was down.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank meregirl
CO
Reviewed 17 November 2008

Let me start by saying my new wife and I were very excited to go to the Dominican for our honeymoon. We were also a little nervous, as neither of us had ever been there. We read both great and awful reviews about the Coconut Palms Resort, and did not know what to expect at all. The trip down was okay, until we got into the airport in Puerto Plata to find that our luggage was not there. Not a good first impression at all. There was a handful of others whose luggage was lost as well. There was an English speaking attendant at the airport who brought us into an office to try and figure out what had happened, and he soon told us that TSA in Miami was holding our luggage for "classified" reasons. So it was the U.S.'s fault!! The next day it was delivered to our resort..everything was there... minor setback.
Our first impression of the resort that night was fair. Check in seemed to take FOREVER, but after such a long day already, all we wanted was to settle in and lay down to rest. After finally getting through our check-in process (there was an irate woman screaming at the front desk attendent about who knows what) we finally made it to the room. The room was not luxurious by any means, but everything worked. Hot water, lights, small kitchen, TV, it was all we needed. The bed was not too comfortable, but we made it work. The room was extremely HOT, but after about five minutes of the air conditioner pumping in the bedroom, it cooled off so much that it was nearly too COLD!!! The AC saved our lives the entire week. It worked perfectly, and helped block out some of the noise from the nearby road. I brought a pair of earplugs, as I am an extremely light sleeper. It was not so noisy there that I couldn't sleep at night. The next morning we went to check everything out. The five minute walk to the beach was great. A nice little exercise to walk off a great breakfast. They have a shuttle that runs back and forth, but the walk was not long enough to need it. The beach was SO GREAT!! We loved it. I have been to many many beaches all over and this one was just great. It is a private beach so the few people who approached us only once, and on our first day, were very nice and not pushy at ALL!! They offered fun quality little things, good cigars, and of course the braids for the girls. After decline, they left us alone. The sand was nice and soft. Beautiful water, but there were some sharp rocks scattered around under the water. you had to watch where you played. But with the clear water, it was not a problem. The dozens of sea urchins hiding around the coral and rocks could have been bad. We spent a majority of our time down there. Good surf and snorkeling beach. The pool back at the resort was great too. Nice and big and the close-by tiki bar was always open and ready to cater to our drinking needs. Victor was great behind the bar. If your drink was not strong enough, he seemed to just tell by your face and he would bring over the bottle of rum and let you pour the amount you wanted. A full glass of rum was not too much..he let you do it.
There were a lot of prostitutes in the towns of Cabarete and Sosua. But the people in general were very friendly.
We rented motorcycles from Cabarete for one day for 25$! It was our most amazing day. We rode all over the Northern part of the island and saw some things I will never forget. It was such a beautiful trip. But be advised, you'll want some decent experience on a motorcycle before you try and ride around there. The drivers are insane, like most foreign countries. But outside of the towns, it gets better.
We want to go back and we will definitely stay at the Coconut Palms Resort again. The food was great every night, and the staff was very friendly as well. We will miss Joseph, Victor, and many others. I would recommend this resort to anyone, old or young. Some people were obviously expecting five-star resort with the reviews they gave. This place is awesome if you have an open mind and don't expect perfection with every detail. Remember, you are in a third world country.

• Liked — The staff, food, beach, pool
  • Disliked — The comfort of the bed, the lack of privacy due to noise
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank juxtin
florida
Reviewed 1 October 2008

Once again ive returned fom my Home away from Home; Set between Sosua nd Cabaette. When we arrived at the resort we werewelcoed and remembered by the security guards bellman front desk the hostesses Shiony and miguellina the wait staff eduard, joel, johnny and leonardo all remembered our group the best bartender Victor tending to our every need even playing a variety of songs we requested off his computer for us, And Ladys what a cutie. When we arrived our unit hd the most gorgeous view, , . The general manager Judy Cromwell shes the heart and soul of the resort made sur she came over and welcomed us. The resort has remodeled and is remodeling their units adding air conditioning ( not a lot of air conditioed resortsin the DR.)Also whats great is the meal plan OPTIONAL the food was great we opted as usual for the 4 day plan which includes a bonus AUTHENTIC FISH FRY at their Beach club owned by a wonderul native dominican man Aris mendes. Whats gret about the resort and cabarette verse Punt a Cana Playa Dorado you are not in as I call it EPCOT, You can experience the culture and the best thing about the Dominican Republic the People, I m in the travel business and have traveled extensively through the Caribean and fell in love with the DR. I travel with 2 women we are all almot middleaged and soften travel with their adult children who lso love it. Surfing,diving, kitesurfing muntain biking swimming with the dolphins going to the wqaterfalls all in all dont rule out Cabarette and COCONUT PALMS RESORT.

2 Thank toursrus124