“A Pleasant Surprise”
Review of LG Surf Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cabarete
LG Surf Camp
Reviewed 16 March 2014

My girlfriend and I recently returned from an 8 day surf trip to Caberete. We are seasoned travelers and have been surfing Central America and the Caribbean for over 20 years. We always wanted to check out the surf in DR but weren’t sure what to expect. My girlfriend had been doing research for a while and after reviewing the other local surf camps we decided on LG Surfcamp and were stoked that we did. Luciano is the man and a true master of the ocean. He was an excellent host and is a great guy, we felt at home from the moment we arrived. The condo is right on the beach. The room was modern, clean and very comfortable exceeding our expatiations. There is an awesome ocean view from the balcony and kite boarders filled the sky each afternoon. The condo has 24 hour security, is very safe and the pool was very refreshing after an afternoon walk down the beach. Luciano and the boys at LG surf camp got me dialed in to some fun surf at playa Encuentro first thing in the morning and again in the afternoon before the winds turn on. The surf there is very consistent and I was able to surf every day of my trip. I had spent a lot of money traveling with boards this season already and decided not to bring any surfboards on this trip. LG surf camp has a wide selection of new surfboards for all levels with any additional gear you may need to get surfing, on a SUP, Kite whatever. After getting stoked from the morning session Luciano topped it off with a delicious breakfast at a beach side restaurant. We meet up for a delicious local dinner several times during the week. Ask Luciano for a recommendation for the days you are your own he knows all the best spots. Cabarete is a bustling resort town with a lot to offer all day or all night. If you are planning a water sports trip to Cabarete LG surf camp is the spot. You wont be disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 March 2014

I highly recommend LG Surf Camp. Luciano is an incredible host and kite surfing instructor that will help you find the best that DR has to offer. The condo was well situated, brand new and reasonably priced. There are many amateurs teaching on the beach, but Luciano is a professional and was very patient with me as a beginner. He also took the time to take the group to one of the best fresh fish lunches I ever had in a secluded spot on the river that I would have never found. He took the time to attend to many of our unique requests that made our trip special. I highly recommend the LG Surf Camp experience and the opportunity to be hosted and taught by Luciano. We can't wait to come back!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2014

When I planned my journey I just wanted to get away for a while to a place where I can learn how to surf. Cabarete was a random choice, I just liked the pictures and that fact that it is relatively easy to access from Europe. I was long hesitating between LG and another surf camp and I do not really know why I went for LG finally. It was maybe a sixth-sense thing…
As I traveled alone I tried to prepare myself for all kinds of problems that might pop up. Maybe there will be a problem with the transfer from the airport already. Or I don’t like my room or the hotel. Or maybe the pictures from the ocean side seem much nicer than reality. Or I won’t like surfing. Or after a while I would regret travelling alone. Or I don’t like the people. Or Luciano is an arrogant checker type of person I do not come along with. Well, there was no need for any problem-solving preparation…
Everything went really smooth, very well organised. The little studio I had in Seawinds was just perfect. Nicely furnished with a kitchen where I could have even cooked a little bit (I didn’t, of course). Seawinds is situated just between Cabarete main beach and kite beach so you can easily reach the center on the beach after about a 15-minute walk. Generally, if you want to get somewhere on foot the best way is just walking along the beach. Even the walk itself is amazing.
So my days started with an early surfing session at 7. It might sound weird, but I could not wait to get up early, because I knew I would be at the ocean by the time of sunrise. And the ocean is much more beautiful than on the fotos... In the first couple of days short, heavy storms came just after we started surfing and they produced a rainbow from horizon to horizon, something I have never seen before. Also the waves are calm in the morning, since there is just little wind. And there are much less people than later during the day at Encuentro, the surfing beach.
We just happened to be two surfers when I was at LG and the other girl did not go for the early session, so I had really exclusive coaching from Luciano. I was into surfing from the first moment on and Luciano made sure that I progress. After the first session we went for breakfast to Maraja, a place near Seawinds, where you can sit by the ocean or the pool and sip on your fresh orange or pineapple juice. A also took the second session after breakfast almost every day, so when we got back to Seawinds at 1pm really needed a break. In the afternoon I went windsurfing or to cross fit in Extreme Hotel. If you like this kind of exercise you absolutely have to try the class with Zach.
In the evening Luciano takes you out for dinner. You can try different places some of which you would never enter otherwise. The restaurants on the beach are, of course, trendier, but I liked Wilson’s by far the best. We went to both of his places, the one in the town, and to La Boca at the river. Both serve excellent, fresh fish with salad and fried plantains; what more would you need?
Luciano organizes stand up paddling tours on the river to La Boca, which was one of the highlights of my holiday. We started paddling higher on the river which is covered in water plants and flowers. It is also quite narrow so at some spots trees meet in the middle over the water. Near the mouth it gets wider and you have to paddle against strong wind so you really deserve the amazing food at La Boca when you get there. You absolutely have to do this excursion, ask Luciano for it!
Travelling alone was no problem at all. First of all, people are really relaxed there and you make contacts very fast. I started to extend my network soon and had plenty of opportunities to join folks. But who really made a difference was Luciano. He is not only a great surf instructor, patient yet challenging, but also a wonderful host. He really takes care of you, spending lot of time with you if you want, which makes it easy to meet others or get involved in activities. He is passionate about Cabarete and the ocean and his passion infects you immediately. He is tactful and keeps distance if that’s what you want. But you like having him around; he is someone you can have a lot of fun with.
Usually I like to try new things and I don’t travel to places for a second time. But I definitely want to return to LG as soon as I can.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank reeti1
Reviewed 2 February 2014

This is the second time that my wife and I visited Cabarete for a watersports vacation.
We wanted to be on the beach and I wanted to Surf in the morning and get Kitesurf Lessons
in the afternoon because I know from my first trip that was kind of the routine.
We found LG Surf Camp and after a few emails back and forth with Luciano we decided to book the trip.
We arrived at the airport and our driver was there to pick us up. Perfect.
After a 20 minutes drive, Luciano greeted us at the Sea Winds apartment and showed us our beautiful and modern ocean front apartment. We were really excited.
Thankfully the weather was pretty good and we got to get some Kite Surf lessons in and i was up and riding after about the 5th or 6th lesson.
And for the icing on the cake I seriously caught one of my top 5 waves of my life surfing at Playa Encuentro with Luciano in the lineup!
Luciano is a Professional Waterman and is an outstanding instructor and he has several First Place Finished in the annual Master of Ocean Contest held in Cabarete which draws contestants from all over the world.
Anyway we had one of the best trips ever.
We went to some of the best restaurants and experienced the fun Night Life in Cabarete with Luciano as our guide.
Some places most tourists would normally walk right past were some of the best meals of the trip.
You couldn't even tell that one of the places was a restaurant and one of the places we ate we took a boat to one day and the next day we did a Stand Up Paddle tour on the river and we paddled to the restaurant and ate delicious local fresh fish.
Talk a about working up an appetite!

Cabarete is a wonderful place and Luciano is an outstanding host and he really goes above and beyond to make sure that you are comfortable and having a nice time.
We loved it and we can't wait to go back and weare already making plans to return as soon as we can.
Besides, I have to back - he owes me 2 waves and 1 beach run.

It's Go Time at LG Surf Camp!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank Earle and Krist... C
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Overall I had a great experience. Luciano, who is the owner and instructor is a wonderful guy. He would show you the city and take you to the best spots around Cabarete. He is also a very good kite and surfing instructor - his lessons and advice are much more valuable that anything I experienced before. Also the groups are really small (I basically had individual lessons for most of the stay as there were no other people learning to kite), which makes the process faster and more efficient. Accommodation is not really like other surf camps you can be accustomed to. You would stay in a decent apartment that is a part of a larger condominium and is situated right on the beach (with a great sea view). Apartment is equipped with all that you need (air conditioning, kitchen, cable tv, balcony, etc.) and is cleaned every day. You will eat out every day in a different restaurant (Luciano will provide you with a list of options), which is a great way to get to know the city. I highly recommend LG Surf Camp, whether you plan to go there on your own or with friends, Cabarete is a great experience!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 November 2013

This review is long and long overdue. My brother and I stayed at LG Surf Camp back in May 2013 for one week.

Luciano Gonzalez is awesome. He was very communicative during the planning stages of the trip and answered all my questions to help me make well-informed decisions about the trip. He's definitely one of the most passionate, humble, and nicest people I've ever met. He's a kind human being with lots of heart and is more than happy to share his knowledge of surfing. Not only is he the owner and operator of the camp, but he also doubled as our local guide (a huge plus for people who like their travels with plenty of local flavor). He was very patient and helpful in our surf lessons and was very thorough in pointing out the necessary steps to improve your surfing - we were catching unbroken waves on the outside in no time!

Upon arriving at the airport, we were picked up by the camp's van (Miliciades, the driver and LG's uncle, is very pleasant and available for hire in case you decide to go around or other areas beyond Cabarete. The drive to the camp took about half an hour. We pulled in a gated property and was welcomed right away by LG himself. The penthouse we stayed in was beautiful and spacious. It felt like we were staying at a high-end resort. The place was very modern in its decoration and furnishings. The whole place was clean. My favorite part about it was the "HD" panoramic view of the beach from the balcony where I watched the sun rise every morning for dawn patrol. Another great thing about the place was the rooftop, which offered more unobstructed views of the ocean and beaches. There's also a huge pool downstairs well equipped with sun chairs for your convenience.

The food was delicious - breakfast consisted of real food (not your average "continental" fare": eggs anyway you want them, tropical fruits, made to order crepes/pancakes, juice, coffee, etc. Lunch was on us but dinner was served 4 nights out of the week - dinner consisted of the staples, rice and beans, plantains, salad, chicken creole, and on some nights pork chops, etc. Since I don't eat pork, the two señoras that cook were very accommodating in making sure I had something to eat. I would suggest communicating to LG about any dietary restrictions you may have so they can be prepared prior to your arrival.

Our typical daily schedule consisted of a 6am wake-up call, coffee over the sunrise on the balcony, dawn patrol surf session, back at the penthouse by 10am for hot breakfast, another surf session from 11-1pm, lunch on our own, explore DR or nap, dinner in or a night out in town, sleep, and repeat. My brother and I lucked out because we ended up being the only LG campers most of the week we were there - and that was a huge plus since we got more 1-on-1 coaching time with Luciano during our surf sessions. Also, it was great hanging out with him and hearing about his life in DR and past travels as a competitive surfer.

One thing though that was a minor set back was that at the time, our bathroom's shower door was broken and Luciano wasn't able to get it fixed in time while we were there. It wasn't a big deal to us, but Luciano made it an option for us to move to another room and even offered us complementary SUP or Kite lessons - we opted for the SUP one afternoon and that experience was majestic! SUP'ing down the river was the best was to get acquainted with the quiet countryside of Cabarete; we paddled through lush patches of jungle, farms, and wide open landscapes. Our journey took us to a river mouth where we stopped and had really tasty fresh fried fish and a fresh cold piña colada. After that we paddled back to our point of origin.

Luciano is also very adamant about water safety so he'll be very clear about the ins and outs of how to navigate your way through the water, how to read waves, etc. We surfed Encuentro every day, even on not-so-ideal conditions, but that only got us to progress in our surfing even more. His quiver is well equipped with surf boards of all sizes and shapes. He's got you covered whether you want to slide easy on a longboard/funboard/SUP or rip on a shortboard, fish, or kite board, and everything in between.

I have no doubt in my mind that I will definitely be hitting up Luciano and his surf camp next time I'm in Cabarete DR, and I highly recommend experiencing it for yourself.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 September 2013

The LG Surf Camp and experience which comes with staying there was unbelievable. The accommodation was beautiful and we were blown away. The service and inhospitality was unmatched; I have travelled the world and LG is by far the best place I have ever stayed!
- Transportation to surf and kite beach, grocery store, bars, restaurants
- We were shown the best local restaurants / bars and were introduced to many international locals who live in Cabarete.
- Top surf and kite equipment, if interested
- Amazing view and location
I could go on for hours on how amazing our experience was. If you plan on going to Cabarete, which I would highly recommend, you 100% NEED TO STAY HERE!!
Thanks again LG for the unforgettable and amazing week!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends