“wORST eXPERENCE eVER”

Hideaway Beach Resort
Reviewed 27 September 2008

i booked thru sunny villa holidays they will take your money no refunds if you dont like your room to bad the elictricity works 70% of the time very little lighting @ nite a women had a rat in her room and heard shots fired because they keep the place together with bubble gum and paper clips the roof leaks a guy from ny bot a really bad unit that looked good on floor 2 or 3 i know i was floooded out of the room 2 times he got a screwing
and should sue them plenty of horse poop around and most of the time there is no one there speaking any english the maid louisa is a kleptomaniac and will definitly steal your change
there are no screens so when the air cond dies you wil roast the manager gissele is not helpfull she will yes you to death then laugh behing your back

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nohideaway

Reviewed 16 July 2008

Last year I enjoyed my second visit to hideaway beach resort and my 3 visit to the dominican, I have always been totally satified with my stays at hideway it is perfect distance between cabarete and sosua to give ample choice for things to do day or night but yes my story does come with a huge but......

The apartments them self are clean and of what I would consider a good standard.

Arsenio is an amazing chef and has fantastic skills not only with the food but the guests too unfortunatly he is the only one worth speaking to as most staff lack motivation and it is a struggle to get things fixed such as the air conditioning unit if it should fail but nothing serious enough to spoil the holiday that was untill we decided to get married there!!

We booked out almost the entire place with our wedding party, 15 guest in total we used the hotels wedding service and trusted them with all the arrangements the wedding day its self was amazing and ran so smoothly reguardless of some minor hitches the staff really worked hard . then the following day our guest went home and we had a futher week to enjoy our honeymoon, every day we asked griselle how do we get our wedding certificate, she assured us we would have it by the end of the week, the day we were leavin we asked for the last time is there any way we could just go and get it from the office and she said it still hadnt been processed by the registry office so they would have to forward it through the post to us. My partner and I were unhappy about this but trusted what we were being told was true!! 6 months after arriving home and having still received nothing I began to email the resort where i received a message saying the registry office cant process it untill we pay more money so we asked how to contact them but the resort stopped email contact, upon phoning them I got a mouth full of abuse from a woman sayin the matter had been settle via email, I merely replyed the matter is not settled until i have my wedding certificate, she hung up!! now no one answers to us we have no way of gettin our certificate and we are not allowed to remarry in this country as it is agaisnt the law to get married twice!! the whole situation has ruined my mermories of hideaway and has made me very angry that I trusted them to do my wedding!!

My advice dont go there, the just want your money and once youve paid the dont give a damn!!

• Stayed: April 2007
2  Thank Shminky
Reviewed 22 May 2008

The site is pristine, the condo beautiful but amenities and staff treatment left something to be desired.

From my arrival, the fridge only worked some of the time, microwave did not work at all, no toaster, kettle or adequate resources for preparing meals. When I informed staff they merely nodded. I told them at least every other day for the entire month.

Pool was emptied for 3 days to paint for a April wedding. Imagine my chagrin when my 2 grandchildren, who were there for 2 weeks, saw that. We spent quite a bit of money taking them to a nearby hotel on day passes to entertain them,

As the month progressed, painting, varnishing, exta cleaning and construction increased daily. The place was hardly serene. It was noisy and smelly.

When I contacted owner in New York her response was ''too little, too late'. I don't know what part of contacting local staff at least every other day during duration that she did not understand.

I understand that things are different in the Dominican but felt overall that I was treated shabbily by all concerned. I would not recommend Hideaway Beach Resort as a destination and I for one will not be returning.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank gamms
Reviewed 12 December 2006

We stayed at Hideaway Beach as a family with two kids (6 and 8) in December, 2006. We had a wonderful apartment that opened directly to the pool and beach on the ground level. We had a modestly equipped kitchen which gave us the freedom to prepare simple meals and dine on our porch at our leisure.

It was as well suited for a family as it would be for an intimate adult getaway. Although we knew there were other people staying there, it felt as though we had a private resort. Most of the time, we were the only people on the beach directly behind the hotel.

Although swimming is not advised due to rough currents, we played in the ankle high whitewash close to the shore. By walking a short distance west along the beach (a few minutes) we were able to find more protected water that you could safely take a dip in.

The staff was very friendly and made every attempt to make our stay enjoyable. Particularly noteworthy was Arsenio who, in addition to being an outstanding chef, covered many other specialties. He served us some wonderful meals emphasizing local foods and styles at our request, though he has a wide repertoire of culinary styles. The kitchen and dining area were under a thatch-roofed structure that opened to the intoxicating breeze and warmth of the Caribbean.

As many others have stated in their reviews, this is not the place to go for a party experience, and we would choose it over an all-inclusive in a heartbeat. It is close enough to the resort towns such that you could easily take a ten minute car ride to get that experience, which we did on two occasions. There is also the opportunity to explore true Dominican life in the rural areas close to the beach resorts - a memorable experience for our family.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with family
5  Thank GeneOk
Reviewed 3 May 2006

Having travelled the DR for 30 years, we have stayed in a vast array of accomodations all over the island. Hotels, villas, private flats, large all inclusive resorts and smaller resorts have all been duly sampled in such locales as Punta Cana, Cofresi, La Romana and Samana. None can hold a candle in romantic setting to Hideaway Beach Resort in Cabarete. This 15 unit condominium complex sits on a secluded 26 acre property framed by the foot hills of lush mountains and serenaded by bird song and bird sounds of all kinds. The owners of this little gem have raised peacocks and peahens who roam the grounds freely providing a truly exotic feel. Because they are "home grown", they are not afraid of people and with a little enticement will literally eat out of your hand. Depending on whether your condo bedroom faces the mountains or the sea, the morning wake up call can be the peacocks beckoning to one another, the rooster welcoming the day, or the sun shining through your window over the turquoise ocean. All provide a lovely "good morning".

The condo's sparkling white facade is dazzling, and when seated at the small but comfortable outdoor restaurant, it is difficult to make a choice of a chair facing the comlex pool and surrounding blue umbrellas..... or one facing the ocean. Either way, the meal won't disappoint. The chef at Hideaway Beach uses garden fresh ingredients to make mango marmalade and meals cooked to order. Even those on special diets will find the culinary skills and food science knowledge impressive. All the meals are served with a broad smile and heartfelt greeting. Like "Cheers", this is truly a place where everyone knows your name....and uses it.

The one, two and three bedroom units at Hideaway are all spacious and clean with nice appointments and satisfactory amenities. This is not luxury, but it is very inviting and the two patios or balconies (one off the living area and one off the master suite) at each condo provide outdoor seating and viewing that is far above average in terms of ambience and comfort.

The beach at Hideaway, like many of the beaches on the North shore, has experienced some erosion, but the government plans for restoration of these beaches promises a better tomorrow.

For now, the sense of seclusion, nature, beauty and welcome make for an extremely romantic setting for the couple seeking a true "hideaway".

• Stayed: April 2006
13  Thank Samba
kimj1263, owner at Hideaway Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2007

Thank you for your kind review. My husband & I and our good friends purchased Unit 2, ground floor, middle of complex in November 06. We're seeing it for the first time in February 07, although my husband saw it before the purchase. We were quite hestitant owning property in another country, but as my dad used to say, sometimes you've got to take risks to get ahead. We will be updating the decor to make it even more inviting. We truly hope you enjoyed your stay and will return in the future. Again, your positive review is very much appreciated. Kim J.

A TripAdvisor Member
Florida
Reviewed 30 June 2005

Stayed at the hotel for 6 days in June. Had an awsome time. The staff were very helpfull, nice and went out of thier way to make sure our stay was one to remember. The resort is also located almost exactly between Cabarete and Sosua wich made it even more desireable. Cudo's to Chef Arsenio for his great meals.

Rooms are big, the 2 bedroom could sleep six easy and comfortably.

Stayed: June 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 January 2005

We stayed in this lovely and intimate resort for two weeks over Christmas of 2004. The grounds and condos are beautifully kept and the service was exceptional! The cook, Arsenio, was very accommodating and as I have a passion for Dominican food, was happy to prepare Dominican meals daily for us. Keep in mind that this resort is more of an "inn" than an all-inclusive experience and is more suited to the independent traveler with a sense of adventure. The resort is tucked away at the end of a dirt road and though there is a shuttle service to Cabarete and Sousa, you may need to catch a taxi home in the evening hours. My only complaint was that the beach in front of the resort was cluttered with garbage. In all fairness, when we mentioned this, the staff was quick to organize a clean-up, but this is something that really needed to be tended to daily, as the way the current runs, trash seems to wash up regularly. If it had not been for the garbage problem, the experience would have been a 10 out of 10!!! Keep in mind that this is a rough, surf beach and not appropriate for swimming. A short walk in either direction though will take you to safer areas. All in all, it was a wonderful experience and we certainly will consider returning!

• Stayed: December 2004
16  Thank srock11

Thank you for your kind and honest review. My husband & I and good friends purchased Unit 2, ground floor in November 06. We're seeing it for the first time in February 07, although my husband saw it before the purchase. We will be updating the decor to make it even more inviting, tropical and romantic. My husband says the culture is outstanding and we plan on bringing our kids (6 total) when school lets out this sping. I just can't wait to get that optimum sun tan and eat Arsenio's awesome food. We will attempt spear fishing as that is one of our passions. Hope Arsenio can cook it up for us, no doubt! Again, your review is very much appreciated. Kim J.