“Fuuuuun!”

Extreme Hotel
Ranked #2 of 30 Cabarete B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 19 May 2012 via mobile

If you're looking for one of the best places in the world to lern kite as well as ride as crazy this is your destination! The service and the crew are simply great! In a wonderful setting few steps from the beach you'll find a peaceful and relaxing room to rest afther your daylong ride! Waiting to go once more next year!

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank GabrieleLombardo

Reviewed 28 April 2012

This is the second time I've stayed in this hotel, but it's more than a hotel, it's a life style!!

The beach is wonderful, the restaurant is absolutely great, but it's even more than that.

Our room was not ready when we arrived, so Jenn, the manager took us to the bar and bought us a couple beers while we waited. Arturo, the restaraunt owner, is a young man, and an absolutely nice young man. He really tries to make you welcome without being patronizing.

But it's even more than that.. There's the yoga classes (which we did) the trapeze, martial arts, kite boarding lessons and even Spanish classes.

We are very into a healthy lifestyle and it was so nice to be surrounded by other people of the same mind set. And I think "Extreme" is a bit misleading. I don't think of myself or my wife as being extreme, but I did feel as if we fit right in. Because of the classes, you get to meet people quickly who were all very nice.

The rooms are not fancy, cleaned several times a week, the screens stuck a bit, but they were absolutely safe, there was a five gallon purified water container in our room, it was quiet in the evening, and the views of either the ocean or folks doing the various classes from our balcony was inspiring. The manager wasn't always around, but again, the place always felt secure with the gardeners, security guy and others.

Then of course there's Robbie, the owner. He's a character. Really into alternative, clean energies and organic foods which he seems to be having significant success with. And yet he does not charge extra for the "coolness" that some places would.

Finally, of course were our Yoga classes. Molly's was very active, which I really appreciated. She always makes one feel very welcome and as a result has a very loyal following. Grace's classes which I did on alternate days were more restorative and again absolutely wonderful. You walk out of her class totally relaxed. It was great having the two options there.

I could go on all day. My wife and I have been going to Cabarete off and on over the last 23 years and I have to say if (when) we go back (assuming the Extreme stays quiet in the evening and is secure) that we would definetly stay at the Extreme Hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Jerry022
Reviewed 25 April 2012

The wife and I wanted an active vacation on a low budget, and this fit the bill perfectly. She is into flying trapeze and circus tricks and I wanted to improve my kiteboarding. I don't know how she found this place, but I can't imagine there are many hotels/resorts that offer exactly what we wanted for such a low price- we looked at other options in Hawaii, etc which ran about double the cost. I agree with the other reviewers- this is not the place to come if you are looking for a fancy, high-end beach resort, but if you are comfortable with waiting a minute or two for hot water or flushing twice for #2, you will save a lot of money and enjoy the more social youth-hostel style environment. You won't want to do much other than sleep in your room anyway, as there are a million things you can do here. Staff is friendly and helpful, and guests tend to be young, active and easy to meet. I highly recommend asking staff for restaurant suggestions- we ate like royalty all week for very little dough. Wish I had more time off work to go back!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dan B
Reviewed 22 April 2012

My sister and I wanted a fitness vacation but with the freedom to eat and drink and just relax if we wished. Robbie set us up perfectly. The hotel was modest but totally suited our needs.. it was clean and comfortable. We worked out in the gym daily with Zach or Matt who were a couple of the best trainers I have had the pleasure of working out with. Molly was our instructor for yoga in the yoga loft. Yoga looking out on to the ocean is worth the price of air fare. It was breathtakingly beautiful. Molly was the perfect instructor I felt I advanced in my training with her help. I want to thank Robbie, Genvieve, Zach,Matt, and Molly (and Arturo and Marlon @ chichigua restaurant) we had the most wonderful time and are singing your praises to everyone we meet. see you soon!!!! xoxoxoxoxox

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Judy L
kiteloungerobbie, Manager at Extreme Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2015

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us, our fitness vacations and fitness camps are a real point of pride so we're always happy to get feedback (we especially love the nice stuff).

Our yoga loft is possibly the best place to practice, sometimes we can hardly believe we get to do yoga while looking out at the beach every morning, it's still breathtaking however many times you see it!

Reviewed 15 April 2012

My husband is a powerlifter and I also lift. We weren't sure if the gym at this place would accommodate us (resort "fitness" centers usually consist of a treadmill and a few 20lb dumbbells), but were pleasantly surprised. This place has 2 power racks, a deadlift platform, kettlebells, dumbbells up to 70lbs, medicine balls, and you can use the gym for 200/RD a day. It kept my husband happy and I got some good workouts in too!

I also agree about it being nice to be about 30 minutes walk from the town of Cabarete--it felt like we had a private beach!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Mia M
Reviewed 6 April 2012

This isn't the place to go on a luxury vacation. But, if you're like me and care more about the experience than the plush accommodations, this is perfect. They have people from all over the world working and staying there. There is never a lack of anything to do, but also plenty of opportunity to relax. I can't say enough about how nice they are...they even went out into town a few times with us.

Highly recommend!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Josh F
Reviewed 2 April 2012

One of the biggest draws of this hotel is the price--you really can't beat it. I had a groupon, so it ended up being about $30/night which was incredible for the view, space, etc. Aside from that, the staff is friendly and helpful, and there is tons to do around the grounds if you're into it. I highly recommend at least 1 trapeze lesson at the Circus school. It's about $35/person for 2 hours and completely worth it.

One draw back is that the rooms are very sparse. The point is to be in it as little as possible. There is no AC, just ceiling fans, which work for the most part but I definitely was a bit hot at night. There is also a fair share of noise at night due to the main road being right out front. Also, the building is "green," so some times of the day are better for warm showers than others (I don't recommend showers much after the sun goes down because the water is lukewarm). It is a bit far from Cabarete town; about a 30-40 minute walk on the beach (recommended over walking the road), but only a 3-5 minute ride on a moto. That being said, the good thing about being farther from Cabarete beach is that you have far less people soliciting you to buy things. Also, the water is cleaner than in town.

Overall, I'd stay here again if I planned to do more of the activities. I recently had an injury so I was limited in what I was able to do. It was a really cool establishment that is especially friendly to a younger, active crowd.

Room Tip: Get a room as far from the road as possible (aka as close to the beach) for noise purposes.