“Great get away!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Sussex, Wisconsin
“Great get away!”
Reviewed 14 August 2012

What makes this a great place to stay is the staff. They all made us feel like family. I took a group of 13 people here. The staff out of their way to make sure that we had a great experience. The pool and location are great. We felt like we were leaving family when our vacation ended. The one thing to remember when traveling to extreme is that its not about the rooms. This is a place for people that are ready for an adventure and want to try new things. Thank you for making this a trip that our girls will cherish for a lifetime!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank fehr1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Polish first
Brookfield, Wisconsin
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Hotel was fairly clean- but the personnel made up for what it lacked- very friendly and helpful! I had a hard time leaving because I knew I would miss the staff! Our trip was purchased on a groupon for a group of teenage girls which made it challenging since it didn't have a TV/appliances or A/C. It was basically indoor camping with hot running showers!

Room Tip: rooms on second floor were adequate and sunny. Less noisy near the middleof the floor (12 &13).
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank lttledebbie
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 10 August 2012 via mobile

Great location, especially for the value.
Rooms 16 and 17 have sea views with a balcony which is wonderful.
Ideal if you are traveling on your own, however for a young family staying next door in a condo would be easier for the same price as 2 rooms.
I would stay again if the sea view rooms were available.

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank endconjax
Savannah
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I recently stayed at the Extreme for two weeks in June using two Groupons I purchased which included trapeze lessons. Prior to purchasing the Groupon I researched the hotel so I knew what type of accomodations to expect. When I travel I am not crazy picky about my room itself because I do not go on vacation to hang out in my room. The room was basic; nothing fancy but clean, neat, had a fridge and fresh drinking water and was spacious. As stated, the hotel does not have air conditioning but with the exception of one night we were comfortable sleeping in the room with the balcony door open. All the employees at the hotel are great; very friendly, welcoming, and go out of their way to help you in any way possible. My friend got injured halfway through the trip and had to leave a week early and although I spent the last week "alone" I never felt like I was solo because everyone in the hotel (employees, guests, Cabarete locals who hang out at the hotel) operates like a big group of old friends. It is the norm for a group of people at the hotel who may have only met a day before to go to dinner together, go out for drinks together, etc. There were so many options of things to do around the hotel (yoga, crossfit, circus, jujitsu, kiting) that there is something for everyone. If you are the type of traveler who likes to spend time outside of your room, try different things, meet new people, and have a great, chill vacation this is the place for you. The only cons I can think of (all of which are stated on the hotel website) are that each activity is a seperate entity so you have to pay seperately for each activity. Also, be prepared to pay in cash for everything (the norm all over Cabarete). The showers weren't awesome and hot water was pretty unpredictable but again, for me, nothing that was serious enough to affect my vacation. Circus lessons were a blast and the on-site restaurant never disappointed (seperate reviews provided). HUGE thaks to Robbie, Monica, Genvieve, and the rest of the Extreme staff for providing such a wonderful vacation.Without hesitation, I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rachel P
usa
Reviewed 5 July 2012

If I set up a hostel/budget hotel, this is the one I would want. Very cool, laid back place. It's not a resort at all, but I rarely left the hotel area, I was either at pool, in bar, kiting or relaxing. I don't think I've ever been to a place and seen so little of the surrounding area. It's an easy lifestyle to get accustomed too and at an affordable price.

Had good pretrip email communication with Robbie the owner, really informative website with helpful info about the area etc.

The rooms were as advertised, no frills but clean and comfortable. Sheets get changed every few days and you are on your own apart from that. But it works fine, you're never in your room anyway. Shower water was in short supply on occasion but no big deal, jump in the ocean/pool. I was a little concerned that there was no a/c but that was never an issue, between the ocean breezes and ceiling fans, the room temperature was cool.

The bar/restaurant attached to the hotel was fantastic, it is the main social hub with decent food The local staff there knew your name within the first hour and made you feel absolutely welcome.

The hotel staff (all Canadian) were ok, they seemed to be as much on vacation as the guests were. It took a few days to figure out who even worked there. Could be improved.

Internet was a little patchy, but I think that's a Cabarete issue, not specific to the hotel. I found the signal in the bar the strongest.

All in all, great place, not quite 5 star, but not far off. I'll be back.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank fishbowl_8
, Manager at Extreme Hotel, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Thanks for the review. We are glad you had a great time, and we're happy to have you back

To quote our day manager today

"An unconventional hotel deserves an unconventional check-in, we're not waiting for you behind a desk, we're waiting for you to join us outside! "
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 29 June 2012

A fun laid back place where you do not need a watch, phone, or internet. Simple is the key, no hectic bs, beach the beach and wind. Awesome place to stay and a great experience.

Room Tip: who really cares about the room and what is the point of staying in the room?
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank thetraveler420
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 28 June 2012

This hotel is hard to review. The experience is tied so closely to the fabulous experiences at the businesses surrounding the hotel. The circus school and the restaurant and even the Cafe next door - they're all wonderful. I can't recommend them strongly enough. The hotel is good, too. It's very honest about the basic level of accommodation, so I can't really give it a poor rating, despite the cons mentioned below. It's a decent hotel for its class, and it's made very good by having great activities right there!

Pros:
- Proximity to Circus School
- Proximity to Chichigua Restaurant
- Very laid back
- Right on the beach - very few people on the beach
- Kiteboarding, jujitsu, gym, yoga all on premises
- Great being able to watch the kiteboarders - very pretty in the sunset
- Pool was great and never crowded
- Taxi stand just up the road

Cons:
- Fairly long walk to get to the city, including restaurants and grocery stores (though this contributes to the quiet beach - like I said, I can't really downgrade for most of the cons, just pointing it out)
- Staff can be hard to find - this is the main reason it's not excellent. They're generally findable, eventually, but it'd be nice if there were more instruction or posted hours or notes about where to locate them or something. It's the Caribbean, so I get they do things differently, but the staff is Canadian! ;) Even checking in was a challenge since it took a while to find anyone to get us keys. Eventually a worker - maybe a handyman or gardener or something? - located someone for us.
- The stairs are gated, and you need the key to get out and to get in. So the night some of us went swimming but some of the group was at the hotel, it was a really bad idea to send our keys in with the ones going in since we couldn't just knock on the door to collect our keys. I also question how safe it is to require a key to get out in the event of an emergency, but we had no emergencies, so all was well. Since the staff can be hard to find, locking yourself out or in can be very frustrating.
- Saw a few roaches - I know it's to be expected with the jungle nearby, but it doesn't mean I have to like it!
- No air conditioning - again, this is common in the Caribbean and I didn't expect air conditioning, but it'd have been nice. Just letting you know in case that's important for you.

All in all, I recommend this hotel for budget travelers who are up for a little adventure. The staff has a relationship with a tour company that took us to Damajagua Falls. Absolutely fabulous. They were also kind enough to call and arrange a pick up for Ocean World, even though it wasn't one of their particular recommendations. (But if you want a kiss from a giant sea lion, you should go!)

Room Tip: My group had 3 rooms, all on the second floor - 11, 14, & 15. 11 had great wi-fi reception, but...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family