“Amazing place!”

Extreme Hotel
Ranked #2 of 30 Cabarete B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 9 January 2014

As an active solo traveler, I was looking for a fun vacation that allowed me to develop new skills physically and meet cool people...Extreme delivered! Extreme offers sports from trapeze to kite surfing...but the gem is their rogue gym! The rogue gym has a team of incredible instructors that make every workout one to remember (seriously...your muscles will remember every instant!)...but it's worth it. Classes range from kickboxing to pilates, crossfit, yoga, trx...something to challenge your muscles and yet you feel at peace and energized! The instructors are encouraging and help you develop your form and technique. Jasper and Zach run tough crossfit classes, Tracy has you working hard in boxing and Molly leads you deeper into your practice up top in the yoga loft that has an incredible view of the ocean!...and those are just a few of the great instructors. The rooms are great...everything you need...cleaned every other day by a nice housekeeping staff! Managers are fantastic, Genevieve, Gigi and Monica are always around to help you and feel more like friends than anything! The location is great...perfectly situated for kiting, and they have a kite school on site. You can walk to the main strip of town in a 1/2 hour on the beach, or take a moto the other way to be surfing in the AM. I have nothing but amazing things to say about Extreme...thank you Robbi (the owner, who might be one of the friendliest people I've ever met)!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank 225Vanessa

Reviewed 21 December 2013

There is a rhythm of life at the eXtreme hotel that vibrates so very deeply with human solidarity, and a pure enjoyment with each day and moment for the lives we have been gifted. The synergy among the staff and trainers makes it almost impossible to highlight one person or thing because it is both the individual talents and the way they operate collectively that makes the place so special.

I have traveled often and have never felt compelled to write a review. If the things that concern you most about your next trip are your heart, happiness, health and reconnecting to that part of yourself that believes you can do anything -- this is the place. Perhaps our paths will cross should you decide to visit, as this place for me is a little like home -- and I'll be back often. Along with the staff, workers and visitors of the hotel perhaps our collective echo will push forward that rhythm that connects and pushes us all to be better people. Best. Kenny.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
kiteloungerobbie, Manager at Extreme Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2015

Hi Kenny,

Thanks so much for your review.

Of course here, we all feel that extreme is the best place in the Dominican Republic, or the whole Caribbean...Maybe even the world, but we're biased. It's nice to hear that with all the amazing activities like Yoga, Kitesurf, surfing and our incredible gym, people still find time to be blown away just by the energy of the place. We do indeed enjoy every day, it's hard not to when you live on the north coast...

see you next time!

Reviewed 21 December 2013

We were staying at another place but were kiting at Extreme hotel site. The staff was really nice and assertive - even knowing that we're not staying at Extreme hotel they helped us with kite storage because we were too late to store at kiteschool. GG - a perfect hotel manager. Look forward to come tomorrow and kite kite kite!
P.S. + Good food and many interesting people from everywhere

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Great place to stay in Cabarete or in the Caribbean in general. If you are looking for a hostel-like atmosphere where you can meet other people and you want the opportunity to do cool stuff like do a flying trapeze course in the morning while learning to kitesurf in the afternoon then this is your spot. The restaurant on the premises aint too shabby either. I went by myself, met a bunch of cool people and had a really good time. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The rooms are basic, but that is what I expected. The rooms are very clean and they give you clean drinking water so no worries there. I will definitely be back. Thanks Extreme

-Ian

Room Tip: I go a room facing the ocean which was cool.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Ian S
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I had a very pleasant stay in Cabarete this past summer. The hotel itself was very clean with an ocean view, limitless activities, friendly staff and a restaurant down stairs. What more could one need? Simply put, it was paradise.

Cabarate runs mostly along the north side of the island and is pretty much surrounded by ocean. It is breath taking. The beach is known as a kiting beach, great for kite surfing and surfing. If you're looking for an extreme activity this is the place to go. You can order kite surfing materials as well as receive lessons on the beach if you're a novice. The hotel also offers trapese lessons, has a half pipe and an amazing gym. The gym is simple, but has all essential equipment for a great stretch or an intense work-out.

The gym offers fitness classes in kick boxing, cross fit and yoga among other things. I had the immense pleasure of practicing yoga with Gigi, she tells us she lived in Bali for a few months and is where she became certified to teach. What more experience could you want in a yogi? She taught me a lot about posture and I learned to be extremely conscious of my spine alignment. I had no idea the difference it could really make. Her class, in a yoga loft over looking the crashing waves, is enlightening. She fixes her students often, encourages them to challenge themselves, hold the posture a few more breaths, become one with the practice. Gigi is the best yoga teacher I've had the pleasure to meet. Her morning and afternoon classes made my stay at Extreme more than worth it.

Jen and Monica also had a great impact on my trip with their many suggestions of fun things to do on the island and were always eager to help with a smile and great attitude.

Another highlight of the hotel would have to be the Chichigua restaurant located downstairs, also over looking the water. Impecable service and deliciously satisfying plates from traditional Dominican dishes to burgers, sandwiches and breakfast as well. The restaurant and hotel work together and have an organic farm off the property (I'll get to that in a minute) where a not so well known plant is cultivated. The plant is moringa and the restaurant makes pita with the leaves. The plant is higher in protein than most animal products and give the pita a unique and rich flavor. Arturo and Cesar were my two favorite servers at the restaurant with their suggestions and attentive service.

About the farm, the hotel offers a tour on Wednesdays. The farm is a vast property with some animals, but mostly plants. It is an ecosystem on its own using only the sun and the ecology of the farm to prosper. The tour is about an or two long. The guide will show you all the different plants, fruits and vegetables and will explain to you their significane in our diets or in the farm's ecosystem. You also sample many of the items such as berries, star fruit and other leafy veggies making for a satisfyingly intelligent tour. After the tour, lunch is served and prepared with ingredients right from the farm. I was lucky enough to taste Monica's coconut rice. What an amazing treat. Just when you think it's over, the fun just begins. Following lunch is the river float. You're given a large rubber float, you hop in and enjoy this naturally lazy river that runs through the most beautiful jungley mountains you've ever had the pleasure of seeing. It's honestly something from out of a movie. Be sure to bring a water proof camera, you truly won't regret it.

Horse back riding is easily accessible from the hotel's back yard (the beach) and the hotel is located in a central enough location where you can sample other restaurants and street vendors as well. YOU MUST HAVE AN EGG EMPANADA. I still crave them from time to time. Remember to add catsup.

All in all, it was a great experience for my mind, body, soul and palette. I could not have imagined a place with a more friendly staff. At one point, I was hanging out one afternoon with Gigi and some other guests just trying out our back bends, handstands and cart wheels. There really is no better place in Cabarete. I hope you enjoy your stay as much as I did.

Namaste.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Meggyfresh
Reviewed 4 November 2013

If you like hanging out with cool, healthy, fit, fun and caring people extreme is the place for you.
The facilities and the staff are top class.
I will be back ASAP.
I feel much healthier after my three weeks in the extreme hotels, kitesurfing and following the various gym classes.

See you soon guys.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Martinmubas
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I stayed one week with a kite surf package and loved every minute. When it wasn't windy, I was flying on the trapeze, doing yoga in the loft and hanging out with other solo travellers. I also appreciate all the green initiatives of the hotel. They run on solar power, provide big jugs of filtered water, have an organic garden and are leading the way in aquaponics. I only scratched the surface of all the potential fun the hotel offers. The staff will make sure you make the most out of your vacation. I will definitely return to this gem!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo