“this is where Indiana Jones would bring his girlfriend”
Review of Extreme Hotel

Extreme Hotel
Ranked #2 of 30 Cabarete B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Just got back from 2 weeks at Extreme with my Fiancee. Loved every second of it.

This place is heaven on earth for the right person. If you can't live without luxury, stuffing yourself until you can't sit up, watching TV on vacation, taking 30 minute hot showers then you may have some difficulties. Otherwise embrace what this property has to offer and try anything and everything.

The staff are not your typical "desk rat front desk agents". They are floating around the property everywhere and it is obvious they love their job. Ask them anything anytime. Their recommendations are better than anything you will find on trip advisor. They also make you feel really FAT every time they walk by you all ripped and sweaty and your at the bar eating a canadian sandwich.

Extreme is walkable in the day along the beach to Cabarete bay. At night you hop on a moto bike or taxi to get to town.(3 mins) 2-5 dollars. It is a great spot to be away from the hustle and bustle of town but there are just the perfect amount of cool people around to have great company. It is a great headquarter if you are into surfing, kiteboarding, cross fit, yoga, and gymnastics, running on beach.

I think some people could get deferred from the name EXTREME. I consider an all inclusive resort EXTREME as I think I would go insane being lazy, not meeting inspiring active people, experiencing true culture and making decisions for myself, partaking in a healthy lifestyle.

The rooms have very high ceilings which I love and great balconies. There was no TV or AC which I personally don't like to have on vacation. The place felt very secure. Showers were weak but then you remember it is a solar power property ha. Pool was big and very clean. Property was well maintained and looked great. Beach was nice and sandy. Restaurant was well priced and excellent, kite school was amazing, yoga = amazing, cross fit - did not try but i'm sure it's awesome as everyone is ripped. We will be back.

Nice touch on: the included massive water jugs which were so needed and the message board which posts daily news and activities.

Thanks to all staff for everything.

Room Tip: Liked top floor for its balcony views.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gregoryroberthale
kiteloungerobbie, Manager at Extreme Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Such a cool review! Love the title.

Does it mean then if my girlfriend loves it, I'm just like Indiana Jones?

Thank you for the review. It's spot on. Extreme is totally heaven on earth for the right type of person. We strive to be the best at what we are - and action sports eco hotel that caters to fitness enthusiast, eco minded cool people. Rather than put all our efforts into the rooms, we put our efforts into the activities - because that's what we do all day!

And thank you for noticing the water jugs in the rooms! We are the only place in town that does that! It seems strange that other places don't - watch for what's coming soon - we plan to start to rain water collect drinking water as an option!

Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Extreme Hotel lived up to the hype!
Staff- A+
Robbie- you have a great thing going here! The energy and vibes your staff creates is inspiring.
I would call them more Entertainment Hosts than staff, and each member has incredible talents.
Gigi- for planning amazing parties and local trips...she's very persuasive
Ariel- incredible kind and professional and a wealth of knowledge about holistic health and wellness
Zach- fitness guru
Yoga instructor- never done yoga before but also never felt so calm in a packed room overlooking the ocean

Things to Do- A+
Surfing- forgiving glassy waves everyday

Kiteboarding- world class and amazing to watch at breakfast

Fitness programs- world class

Farm Tour and Lazy River- piggy the pup was amazing as well as our tour guides and meal

Town- B
Pretty basic stuff, a few pushy vendors but overall the safest I've felt anywhere in the carribean. With that said make wise decisions and don't walk the town or beaches at night alone and intoxicates

Encuentro Beach- A+
Crowded surf but friendly locals at the surf shop. Great board selection and even watched my wallet and sandals and nothing was missing. Amazing! Also puppies everywhere. Seriously...what's better than surfing and puppies

Property- A

Rooms-B+
The value was an A+ for sure but if you are looking for the Ritz this isn't the place for you. Imagine a really super nice hostile like environment with private rooms and clean beds and sheets with breathtaking views.
We highly recommend the Penthouse for large groups.
Expect a few bugs on the floor as this is an Eco organic place. Maid did a decent job cleaning up after us on the regular.

My biggest complaint is there are no amenities to purchase onsite so bring your own and the bar closes at 730pm.

Restaurants- B+
Lots of fresh food and good prices in town. Ask staff.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank affordablebeachlivin
Reviewed 10 February 2014

This hotel is awesome! The hotel has everything it needs, the staff is friendly and uncomplicated and you get to know many people. The hotel is located next to the beach and a nice restaurant/bar where you can enjoy fruit juices for a low price.
Only thing that was annoying was the room service that always forgotten to bring enough towels and twice didn't clean the room at all. But a mail to the manager was enough to get things right. So no big deal.
The kite school is also located in the restaurant and I can only recommend it!

Thanks for the great stay!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 January 2014

just really good times! awesomely friendly staff, engaging and fun, good vibe. great gym, challenging classes and just good quality all around. kitesurfing is the best, helpful instructors.i will be back!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank travelerrrrfrombrook
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I've been here twice now and am very well travelled around the world, but I can say a stay at this play has made me change my outlook on life. The active lifestyle that is lived by guests, staff and local expats who hang out at Extreme really does challenge you to look at how you live your life back home. Extreme is not just a hotel, it's a lifestyle.

It's a hotel, but has more of a hostel feel to it and I mean that in a positive manner. There's no bells and whistle or fancy services, but it's a very social place, within a day or two you'll know the other guests and staff, most of the people there on both my visits came on their own, but you'll never lack for company. The kind of people Extreme attracts is unique too, lots of really interesting people from varied backgrounds here.

If I had to nitpick, the hotel has a high occupancy rate from what I hear & so making money, they could reinvest a little money in the hotel, bed linens were very worn, pillows terrible (I'll bring my own next time), but you're not coming here to spend time in your room, it's only for passing out at the end of another activity filled day. Internet in the rooms is very patchy, but good at the bar.

Do yourself a favor and get down here, you won't regret it.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank fishbowl_8
kiteloungerobbie, Manager at Extreme Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2015

Thanks for your glowing review,

I'm glad you appreciated the unique vibe so much and had a great time, we definitely think the hotel attracts the best kind of people around. Cabarete is a unique place and The amazing people we get coming through definitely reflects that.

As an eco hotel we are constantly reinvesting in the place, sometimes the focus ends up being on new ways to make ourselves even more environmentally friendly and sustainable, adding more solar power, creating a system to allow us to collect and use rainwater , developing our permaculture farm where we grow organic veg for the onsite restaurant etc so sometimes we just get caught up in these projects. We're do always trying to find a balance where we keep working on the other aspects of the hotel too, so thanks for the feedback.

What makes all our eco initiatives possible is the understanding of guests like yourself who really just want to play outside on the beach or in the gym all day and still keep recommending us even if the rooms aren't quite five star yet.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Second time I'm staying here and couldn't be happier. Was first thinking of staying in town but that would've been a big mistake. It felt like people from all over Cabarete were pilgrimaging to Extreme to hang out or participate in any of the many activities. The staff are pro's at what they do and they make everyone feel like they are part of extreme. The best kiting is by the hotel. If you feel like going into Cabarete you can just take a motoconcho (spelling?) and in a couple of minutes you will be there. Robbie (the owner) is a great guy and if you can beat him at pingpong I'll buy you a beer. Have a great stay boys and girls!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Viktor O
Reviewed 9 January 2014

As an active solo traveler, I was looking for a fun vacation that allowed me to develop new skills physically and meet cool people...Extreme delivered! Extreme offers sports from trapeze to kite surfing...but the gem is their rogue gym! The rogue gym has a team of incredible instructors that make every workout one to remember (seriously...your muscles will remember every instant!)...but it's worth it. Classes range from kickboxing to pilates, crossfit, yoga, trx...something to challenge your muscles and yet you feel at peace and energized! The instructors are encouraging and help you develop your form and technique. Jasper and Zach run tough crossfit classes, Tracy has you working hard in boxing and Molly leads you deeper into your practice up top in the yoga loft that has an incredible view of the ocean!...and those are just a few of the great instructors. The rooms are great...everything you need...cleaned every other day by a nice housekeeping staff! Managers are fantastic, Genevieve, Gigi and Monica are always around to help you and feel more like friends than anything! The location is great...perfectly situated for kiting, and they have a kite school on site. You can walk to the main strip of town in a 1/2 hour on the beach, or take a moto the other way to be surfing in the AM. I have nothing but amazing things to say about Extreme...thank you Robbi (the owner, who might be one of the friendliest people I've ever met)!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank 225Vanessa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabarete
Ultravioleta Boutique Residences
#1 of 21 in Las Galeras
Viva Wyndham Tangerine
Viva Wyndham Tangerine
#5 of 19 in Cabarete

Been to Extreme Hotel? Share your experiences!