“The perfect vacation spot!!”
other travellers have booked this property
Spectacular villa with large private pool and secluded lawned garden, only 2 mins' walk to beach
Terrace sitting area
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Terrace sitting area
Private villa pool
1 of 2 master bedrooms (with king bed)
En-suite bathroom
4-poster master-bedroom with pool- and garden-view
4-poster bedroom with door to pool and garden.
4-poster master-bedroom from garden
The beach club, beaches and free-form oceanfront pools
Welcome to the White House
Large front room (prepared as triple in this photo)
Double oceanfront pools by beach
Sunset from the beach club
View from kitchen entrance to livingroom
The Sea Horse Ranch beach club
Relax by the pool
Sitting room
Front left bedroom
Welcome
Anyone for a coconut? They grow on trees in our garden
Oceanfront path
Encuentro beach - 5 mins' drive away
Equestian center at Sea Horse Ranch
Walkway to the beach
A private beach called El Canal within our gated community
The beach club
We call this the hermit-crab beach. Lovely
The White House (right) and sister Villa Suzanna (left), only 2 mins' walk from private beaches
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
oliviasca...
Montreal, Canada
“The perfect vacation spot!!”
Reviewed 7 June 2016 for a stay in March 2016
people found this review helpful

I have spent 2 great vacations at this lovely villa – and although I don’t usually write reviews, want to do so here as it is so special! The villa itself is beautiful – the photographs really don’t do it justice. It is home with character and style, with ‘collected’ pieces, making it feel very chic. The setting of Sea Horse Ranch is a quiet oasis with beautiful private beaches, gorgeous green areas for walking and jogging and enjoying the tropical plants and trees. It is close to the pretty resort towns of Cabarete and Sosua, as well as a great surf beach, Encuentro, where we spent early mornings, enjoying great waves.

The villa owners were very easy to deal with and were very professional; they own one of the island’s tour companies and thus were able to provide airport transportation as well as suggesting a great local day. For example, we went sailing on a catamaran with a wonderful snorkeling opportunity and went golfing at the Robert Trent Jones course, at nearby Playa Dorada.

All the more special, when coming down to the villa from a freezing Montreal winter! Thanks Sue & Steve – hope we’ll be back.

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups
AlpacaJon...
Chicago
“We didn't want to leave”
Reviewed 23 March 2016 for a stay in February 2016
person found this review helpful

I didn’t want to leave. My family spent 3 weeks here and we loved it so much.

The house is so charming. Sue, who owns it with her husband Steve, has wonderful taste. She may have invented shabby chic. There are many upscale homes in the community of Sea Horse Ranch that are available to rent, but few if any have the warmth and style of this home. It’s very comfortable, lived in but well maintained.

There are 3 bedrooms on one side of the house, and 2 on the other, making It a great option for multiple families. On the one side is a Queen bedroom with a chase lounge which connects to a smaller twin bedroom. This was perfect for my husband, myself and 2 children. There is another bedroom on this side of the house with 2 twin beds. There are 2 bathrooms as well, one with a bathtub, which was helpful with little ones. On the other side is a lovely King master with attached bath and a large room with 3 twins and a chaise lounge. And another bathroom. The living room had two sitting areas and two couches, both of which could sleep at least 1 person each. My husband slept a few nights on one and it was very comfortable (and he’s very tall). The beds were comfortable with good mattresses.

Elizabeth and Nidia are the caretakers. They’ve worked for the family for 20 years. They cleaned the house daily, making beds, sweeping and mopping. When we needed help with our children, Sue arranged for one or both to babysit. (it was between $7-10 per hour). The kitchen was self catered but we did arrange for a few meals to be prepared ($30 per person and the food was yummy). On several occasions, Sue sent over fresh squeezed Chinola juice (passion fruit. I wasn’t a big fan at first but now I’ve got a taste for it, especially the fruit scooped fresh onto some ice cream. Delicious!) Sue also makes an amazing banana bread.

We didn’t drink the water but there is a water cooler in the kitchen that is replaced often at no charge. There wasn’t a washing machine but Elizabeth or Nidia will do your laundry. It was $5 a load and Sue was very fair about tallying up what she called a load (the first day we had several laundry bags that were taken to be washed but didn’t amount to a full load. But we weren’t charged for a full load, if that makes sense). Electricity is separate and we averaged under $80 a week but we only used 3 bedrooms of the 5 and didn’t run any AC. We were also diligent about turning off overhead fans and such. I noticed when we had to start working and both my husband and I had our computers plugged in, the cost went up to about $100. I only mention it because I was afraid we were going to be looking at a lot more $, so I was glad to see it wasn’t as bad as I expected. But again, we were conscientious about it.

The house has no glass windows - it’s all lovely shuttered windows with screens. The doors all pivot out so that in the living room you can open them all up to the covered veranda and let in the breeze. On the verandah is a large dining table where we ate all of our meals. There’s also another sitting area with comfortable couches.

There is a large yard and pool which we spent a lot of time in with the kids.

The home is located in a gated community halfway between Sosua and Cabarete. We did not rent a car and for the most part this was not an issue because cabs were quick to come. (We stopped at the cab stands in Sosua and Cabarete and asked about rates to and from and then got cards from several drivers whose prices seemed to be the going rate. We paid between $30-40 round trip to Sosua or Cabarete. At first that seemed steep but it was a lot better than renting a car and we would combine our trips to the beach with a run to the store on the way home. When they drop you off you can tell them when to pick you up. They were always punctual. They won’t take your money until you return.).

The grounds of Sea Horse Ranch are lovely. It’s a sprawling place. The only difficulty for us was the long walk from the house to the Equestrian Center, Tennis Club or Playground. But that was really because of our unique circumstances.. we had a 3 year old and an 8 month old. I opted to bring just one lightweight stroller for the toddler and a carrier to wear the baby. Round trip walking from the house to any (or all) of those destinations was I think about 2 miles walking. Not a bid deal for most, but exhausting lugging/pushing two kids. I wish I’d brought my double stroller. The roads were more than accommodating for it. On the flip side, the house was very very close to the beach, pools and beach club. And we spent more time there anyway.

The beach was a short 2 block walk (I live in the city and relate to blocks as a way to measure). The Beach Club had wonderful food and the staff was the best. One afternoon they had a tea party and fashion show. They had a wonderful spread of sandwiches, desserts and teas. They’d spent the whole day decorating for the 5 pm show. We brought our kids. They had a local art teacher there who set up tables for the kids to draw and make things. It was so fun. The pools are large and pretty. The smaller kiddie pool was great, though still a bit deep in the middle for my 3 year old but that was ok. They are not heated so it was a bit chilly when we were there but again, who cares! The beaches were small and cozy. Most days the waves were a little rough for our toddler but I went swimming and snorkeling several times. The water is actually shallow for a ways out but it’s really for kids and adults who are decent swimmers. But the highlight for us - at least where my toddler was concerned - was the one beach that had a lot of hermit crabs. He dubbed it crab beach. We went every day, several times. Our son would collect crabs in his bucket and after an hour or so we’d have to coerce him into letting them go before we went home. There was a lot of shade so we’d bring the baby and just hang out. It was so wonderful.

There is an Equestrian Center there as well. Several days a week we would walk there to see the horses and a few cats. My son went on a ride one afternoon (around the grounds with a handler guiding the horse) and loved it. I went for a ride as well. It was pretty long and I was sore when it was over but it was lovely… they go along the beach for a good deal of the trip.

There is a little playground with a trampoline and wooden house structure. And it’s right near the tennis club, where we would rent rackets and play a few times (though Sue and Steve had some to borrow; we just never planned ahead well enough).

The home is very close to the Puerto Plata airport. We had the speediest trip thru immigration that I’ve ever experienced traveling internationally. Sue and Steve had arranged transport (included in the rental) and it was a breeze getting out the doors and finding our driver. And it was only a 20 minute drive to the house, which with kids was a godsend.

Sosua had a lovely crescent snapped beach and a lot of old shade trees which we loved. The restaurants and vendors are all along a sandy path in the shade with many chairs for rent on the beach. It’s a short beach and usually calm waters but it drops off a few feet quickly so my son needed to stay where the water broke on the shore. It was great for the kids. There is a reef which you can snorkel to offshore. It’s not in great shape but there were a good amount of colorful fish to see. We ate at 3 or 4 places.. the food was pretty average but decent. Cabarete had a totally different vibe. I didn’t think we’d like it as much with the little ones because it’s known for kite surfing, so naturally it’s very very windy. But I found that the wind was usually strongest in the late afternoon and even then the sand didn’t blow around so the kids were fine. The beach is long and deep and the water stays shallow for a longer distance than Sosua. The restaurants are nicer here. They all have large outdoor seating, many with shade. There were also many bars which were lively (more so in the evening and at night). We liked Cabarete more for the atmosphere and food/shops, but I did like the beach at Sosua for it;’s more intimate setting.

We really didn’t have any negatives. There were unfortunately a lot (and I mean a lot) of mosquitos. It was an unfortunate situation and one that I was told by numerous people is not really the norm. It may have been the drought they had last year and then the rains they were having while we were there. I had prepared and brought bug spray but we ended up buying more. We used the mosquito nets which helped tremendously at night. If you’re concerned about them (we were, with 2 little ones and Zika going around) bring good repellant. I would also recommend bug bands (things you wear on your wrist of ankle. We got some on amazon that worked great). I didn’t think to bring but wish I had this soap that is used for washing clothes and his citronella in it (I use it for camping). And bring some anti itch cream and bandaids. I think most of the year they don’t have any issues and the association for Sea Horse was fumigating but it is a tropical area and it just is what it is. As much as I hate them it would not deter me from going back again. I would just be better prepared.

We take a trip every year and usually go to a new place every time. We loved the Dominican Republic and this area so much, we hope to go back again next year.

How easy was it to book the property? Overall condition of the property
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The cozy homey feel of the home
Travelling group: Young Children
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
Corinna K
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Paradise for week”
Reviewed 12 March 2016 for a stay in February 2016
people found this review helpful

My husband and I have just returned from a week in paradise. This stunning villa excelled all our expectations - fantastic location, exceptionally clean and beautifully furnished, we could not believe our good fortune. Really well equipped kitchen, so we mostly catered for ourselves although there is a stunning beach club a mere stagger away. We found a supermarket on the way to Sosua that stocked everything we needed and fab local shops in Cabarete. We spent a wonderful day at Natura Cabana, excellent massage and delicious lunch, and a special lunchtime experience at Playa Grande Beach Club that was recommended by the helpful but unobtrusive owners. We cannot wait to return.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Stunning property and pool - beautifully presented and exceptionally clean.
Liked least: Coming home!
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
starrygir...
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Fabulous villa, great location, wonderful facilities. We will return.”
Reviewed 18 January 2015 for a stay in September 2014
person found this review helpful

Beautifully appointed villa, lovely garden and easy to get to local shops and restaurants in Cabarete. Kids loved the pool & parents loved the club house. Great place to stay and then take trips from, into the countryside and off surfing etc

Travelling group: Extended Family
Scotland
Reviewed 2 May 2014 for a stay in September 2013

Recommended for:
A romantic getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Luxury-minded travelers
London
Reviewed 30 April 2014 for a stay in April 2014

Edinburgh
Reviewed 29 April 2014 for a stay in July 2013

Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing