“Kite Beach, Nice Area, Terrible Hotel”
Review of Kite Beach Hotel

Kite Beach Hotel
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Cabarete
Reviewed 5 February 2012

The Location,Beach, some staff & Reception are the only good things about this resort.

The food selection & quality is below even DR standards.

The rooms are need of majar repairs.Leaking taps,toilets.Ac doesnt always work. Gaps all around outside door to allow sunlight,bugs & noise to enter.
Small rooms with no chairs, just a bed & one small dresser.

Very noisy as there is no sound barriers between rooms, which allows even a whisper to be heard next door.

If you book the room with a full kitchen, living room, patio & 2 bedrooms than you get a place that has lots of room & is nice.We were shown a room like this but could not book it as it was under repair & also neede to be painted & new furniture.

Not worth the price we paid, if given for half price than it would have been more exceptable.

Room Tip: Book the big room as well as the joining room.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Wayne K
The Kite Beach H, Guest Relations Manager at Kite Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2012

Dear Wayne K,

We are sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your stay here at Kite Beach Hotel.
However, we were quite surprised to read that you find our hotel “horrible”, a rather strong word.
After all, you do mention in your review that there are nice, big rooms, and we do not pretend to be a 5-star resort, but a hotel catering to individual travelers that enjoy a smaller, intimate setting right on the beach.

The 2 nights you had booked and stayed here in a standard room at the hotel were in January which is one of the busiest months of the year.
We do however have various different rooming options ranging from simple standard rooms to a luxury penthouse, both in our original and new building, as we are catering to different people, from younger kiters that just want a simple clean room to couples and families that prefer one of our spacious 1-and 2-bedroom oceanfront apartments. Our guests enjoy the social atmosphere at the hotel, the international vibe and green gardens as well as our beachfront bar and restaurant.

We are surprised to hear that you mention leaking taps and toilet as the couple who stayed in the same room you had for two weeks and left the day you arrived did not mention anything to us. Of course things can happen and as we were full we might not have been able to fix all the problems on time.
Being a tropical island we cannot completely eradicate the possibility that bugs might enter a room no matter how you pretend to seal it or make it “bug-proof”, as mosquitoes and other insects are very common throughout the entire Caribbean. The good part is that you used the word “might”…the bugs did not enter the room, as we run a clean place.

We are sorry, too, that you were bothered by the sunlight coming into the room in the daytime, all our rooms have black-out curtains as well as standard doors and most of our guests are outside their rooms during the day on excursions or doing other activities, and so far nobody complained about this.

The room you stayed in does have a connecting door to an adjacent apartment, but it is to the living room, not another bedroom. However, if you were bothered by any noise, we apologize for the inconvenience.

We permanently work in maintenance and up-keeping and are trying to improve the facilities and service. We welcome constructive criticism and suggestions from our guests.

Now, I have to dispute your negative view of our country and the comment about “Dominican standards”…although not a luxury destination, the DR and Cabarete have very good standards of service, both in hotels and restaurants.
In the Dominican Republic there is a high standard regarding food, be it the local or international cuisines. About our restaurant, you seem to have been disappointed with the standard of food here on this island in general, which is quite surprising seeing as the lovingly prepared home-style cooking of this country is valued by many of our returning guests as well as others.
We are not sure what kind of food selection you are used to, but our restaurant menu has more than 50 different dishes, ranging from pizza and pasta to sandwiches, salads, wraps, burgers and more, plus daily specials including fresh fish and seafood and weekly theme dinners like Dominican Buffet, Mexican Buffet or BBQ Night. A lot of our guests have lunch and dinner here at the hotel several times a week, but otherwise there is a wide array of restaurants here in Cabarete with many different cuisines from all over the world and in general people are always very happy with the variety & quality.

We are sorry you didn’t enjoy your 2-day stay in Cabarete and your Dominican experience and certainly hope you will return and visit us in the future. Please contact us ahead and we will do our best for you to be satisfied and join the numerous clients that return to Kite Beach Hotel year after year, some even several times in the same season.

With best regards,

Janina
Reservations & Guest Service
Kite Beach Hotel

Reviewed 4 February 2012

Kite beach was one of the best stay we had. Very stunning views and had so much in kite surfing. Great accommodation, the stuff are very helpful, polite and friendly. You can get the value of your money of the service they provide. Great foods. Everything you look for is here. It was the memorable vacation here. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Kite Beach is always a Great Stay! My now husband proposed to me on site last year and we came back this January and got married in the Dominican and all of our guests stayed at Kite and had a great time! We always stay at kite EVERY YEAR, the staff is awesome, we love the bar, we love the breakfast, the rates are awesome and affordable...I could go on and on! Janina was fantastic, every year the trip is one we look forward to!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Janina was fantastic... the rooms and grounds are average at best
Unfortunately no kiting the days we were there
Beach is beautiful
strip is rather run down

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Itineranttraveler72
Reviewed 16 January 2012

I stayed at the Kite Beach Hotel 12/30/11 - 01/02/12. The property was well kept. The bedrooms were very clean. They served fresh fruits for breakfast every day. They also bake their own bread. The food was delicious. I recommend the chicken with passion fruit salsa, their pizza and hamburger. I also liked the swimming pool and the surroundings. The beach was very clean. The staff was very helpful, professional and pleasant. I highly recommend the Kite Beach Hotel. Dania Reyes, New York, NY.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank az09ritmo
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I enjoyed another great New Years in beautiful Cabarete. I've been a returning guest at Kite Beach going seven years strong often several times a year. Unfortunately, this year may be my last stay at Kite Beach for two reason (1) I've located my real estate investment (2) Kite Beach should reward customer loyalty instead of treat them like some fly by night nobody. Not only was I repeat guest, many times I urged my friends visiting with or without me to ALWAYS stay at Kite Beach. Unfortunately, my loyalty was rewarded with *your room's not ready so stay here for now" crappy falling apart room. Only when I first suggested I was looking for real estate did I get surprise treatment.

Also, there's a guy that works there that comes off a bit disingenuous as he roams around the hotel property. He only gives you the welcome wave or handshake when crowds of people are around. Otherwise, he gives off a cold stare. At first I thought I was being paranoid but my friends confirmed it. Not sure what his problem is but you guys should find someone that can be friendly and positively engage ALL PEOPLE and not some that share a certain skin color. Maybe it's self hate but I'm no specialist in that area.

For those who enjoy Kite Beach, I hope you can continue to. This will be my final stay as this last trip did not give them the warm vacation feel I got from Kite Beach Hotel in the past.

Thank you Janina, from desk guy and cleaning lady for always being welcoming.

Room Tip: I don't know what to tell you other than you have more leverage when the hotel isn't busy. U...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank DRtravelerHalethorpe
The Kite Beach H, Guest Relations Manager at Kite Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2012

Dear DRtravelerHalethorpe,

Regarding your review from January 2012:
We were very sorry to read that you didn’t enjoy your last stay with us as much as the many times before.

We certainly do value your loyalty and that of many other returning guests as all of you are a big part of what makes the special atmosphere at Kite Beach Hotel.
We do feel however that we gave you and your friends a warm a welcome as always when you arrived and were genuinely happy to see you back here.
For example we did inform you that we have a strict 5-nights minimum stay policy during Christmas and New Year’s as they are the busiest weeks of the year. Since you have been such a loyal guest we made an exception and accepted your reservation for just a couple of nights, actually making an effort to accommodate you and your friends. In the past, we offered you every time very good deals and a few perks here and there, rewarding your loyalty and showing we do appreciate your business. Being full to capacity, we did the best we could, and we sincerely apologize if things were no as good as always.

Our guests come from all over the world which is another reason that there is such a good vibe here at the hotel, and we most certainly don’t judge anyone, be it by their nationality or skin color. The person in question shares your skin color but, regardless, in any case we strongly reject and deny any type of animosity, prejudice or unfriendliness towards anybody based on race, skin color, age, or creed.

Some people in our staff are just very focused on their work and might seem too serious because of it, especially in the peak season, but in any case we will continue to do our best effort to have happy clients, new and old.
We are very happy for you that you seem to have found your dream property and really do hope that next time you are in Cabarete you will come to our bar, have a drink with us while telling us and tell us about it.

Your Kite Beach Hotel Team

Reviewed 7 January 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for two weeks in September to Kite surf, this was just after the peak season. My experience is a bit mixed but all in all I like the hotel and we would return with a few conditions. When we were shown to our first room it was a huge disappointment. The room faced the main road (we asked for a room with the inside court yard) and the toilet leaked water all over the bathroom floor and into the bedroom (really gross). The was no balcony to sit out one and not a proper desk or kitchen. I was ready to head back to California. Instead I went to the front desk and strongly requested a better room. Thank goodness the hotel was nearly empty so we had a good choice of alternate rooms, If this were peak season we may have been stuck with a very disappointing room.

I paid for an upgrade and got a one bedroom with a large balcony that looked down at the pool. This room had a small kitchen and fridge and table I could use to catch up on emails and a bit of work when the wind was not blowing. I booked through Kite Club but in the future would recommend booking directly with the hotel and be very specific about the room you want. If you are staying for an extended period of time definitely go for the one or two bedroom rooms and require one with a proper balcony!

This is the Dominican Republic so do not expect Mauii type hotels and rooms!

We ate most of our meals at the hotel as were had issues every time we ate in town, the food was OK, the salads were great but you may want to be more adventurous if your digestive system allows.

The staff was very friendly and the hotel was nice and quite and a great place to relax. If you are looking for something that is not a large resort hotel and want to chill out, this is a great place to stay.

I would go back but I will be very specific about the room I book!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HARCal

Dear HARCal,

We were sorry to hear that your stay here at Kite Beach Hotel end of September and beginning of October wasn’t the experience you had hoped for right from the start.
Here at Kite Beach Hotel, we are proud to have many repeating guests that have stayed with us multiple times over the years.

We would like to address a few things you mentioned.

You had reserved a studio in our newer building through Kite Club. We explain to everybody that is reserving directly through us that the studios are located in the back part of the building, not on the oceanside. The studios have mountain view which is also stated on Kite Club’s website and do not have a balcony. We do not advertise them with balcony either. We did realize after reading your review that by accident a photo of an ocean view balcony was posted in the studio category on Kite Club's website. As soon as we told them they changed the picture right away. This was an honest mistake as they are and have been our partners for years, with a great reputation for being serious and responsible towards us and their clients.

The studios are very spacious, however, and are the best-priced option if you want to have a kitchenette and fridge.

We were very surprised that you mention that the studio did not having a kitchen or desk as all our studios do have a kitchen with cabinets, 2-flame stove, fridge and worktop and a dining table where you can sit and eat or work.
Please have a look at our website gallery for pictures of the studios.

As for the water that you saw, it did not come from the toilet but from a broken water pipe underneath the sink that was fixed immediately after.

We are glad that we could help you and switch you to an apartment that was more suited for you and are also happy that otherwise you enjoyed your stay here at Kite Beach Hotel.

When potential guests email us we always try to find the room or apartment that is best suited for them according to their information and many of our repeating guests request the same room/apartment they have had in the past for their next stays.

We appreciate your feedback and hope you do come back to stay here at Kite Beach Hotel soon, we will make sure you get the room or apartment you request.

With kind regards,