“Do it right and you'll be happy!”
Review of Kite Beach Hotel

Kite Beach Hotel
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Cabarete
Utah
“Do it right and you'll be happy!”
Reviewed 6 June 2012

First let me address something that isn't made very clear. If you look at the pictures showing the buildings from the beach front, the building on the far left with the round balconies is the newer building. The other two buildings, with a courtyard between, are the older buildings, and there is a significant difference between them in both build quality and comfort. After reading through every review here, it seems that making the correct selection on room is key to having a good experience at this hotel.

In speaking to Janina (the manager) we indicated that having a large balcony that overlooked the pool area and out to the ocean was important to us. She correctly explained that for the one-bedroom that we desired, this would require a room in the older buildings as those are the ones with large beach front balconies, so that is what we booked. This also included a lower rate as the older buildings are about 25% cheaper.

Janina was very accommodating as our arrival/departure schedule was strange. We weren't set to arrive until 3am the first night and then not leave until 10:30pm the last day. She made sure that someone other than a security guard (24 hour security is a must in DR) was at the front desk at 3am to greet us and show us to our room which was very nice.

This is where clarity on room expectations is key. Upon entering our room we were both slightly disappointed. While they do explain that the older building rooms are smaller and not as modern, what that really means is that the older building rooms are quite cramped and a bit run down. You have to realize that this is the D.R. Already, build quality is far below U.S. standards to begin with. Subsequently overall build quality and many of the repairs in the older building are of below average quality.

We stayed in the older building the first night and then contacted Janina the next morning. She was very accommodating even though we had insisted originally that the ocean-front balcony was more important than room size/quality (we were wrong). Fortunately, being the low season, there was a one-bedroom in the new building available. We made the switch and were quite pleased with the result. While the pictures of the old building rooms aren't really accurate in terms of size and quality, the room in the new building was exactly as shown in the pictures. Unfortunately, the large round balconies overlooking the pool in the pictures are only available in the two-bedroom suites. But I can honestly say that we never used our balcony at all, and didn't really miss it.

The bedroom and living/kitchen in the new building are much nicer and larger than the old building. This is what we had been expecting at the listed price point. I think the prices of the new building are about right, but I would say the prices of the old building are high for the area. My impression, and evidently that of other reviewers as well, is that you don't get your money's worth in the old building. There are many other hotels in the area with rooms equal to the old building rooms for a lower rate. But the new building is a different story completely. I would call the new building rooms 3-star and the old building rooms 2-star.

Janina (pronounced Ya-nee-nah) is absolutely wonderful to work with. Ask her about arranging a large group meal at the Blue Moon so that you can mingle with other hotel guests and eat very good Indian cuisine. She'll arrange pretty much anything you need including adventures, day trips, or airport transportation. If you don't speak Spanish well, then she is wonderful to have around.

The incl. breakfast is decent, not great. We've had MUCH better free breakfast in other Caribbean hotels (Bula Bula in Costa Rica---amazing) but weren't expecting much. It is certainly better than a typical continental breakfast, but not a whole lot better.

The restaurant located at the hotel is about average. The real convenience there is that the hotel allows you to run a tab so you don't have to worry about getting money (somewhat inconvenient in D.R.) and carrying it while playing on the beach. Stopping in for a cold drink while kite boarding is very nice. And hanging out at the bar in the evening while surfing the web is nice. This isn't a restaurant review but there are several better places to in Cabarete, and one of the best is right next door at Extreme Hotel (Chichigua).

On the topic of internet. Web access in the lobby is good but it is a bit spotty at the bar by the beach. Rarely, we could get service in the room, but not often. I work in the stock markets and had to work while on vacation, so the lobby and restaurant were my working areas. It would've been nice to have a bit better internet access, but it was sufficient even though it cut out a bit especially on the iPad.

But this brings up the next point. The staff is incredibly trustworthy at this hotel! I was actually able to leave my computer out and running in the common area while going out to kiteboard without a concern. In fact, we didn't even use the room safe in our room. A few times I even left a tip for the cleaning lady sitting on the table in our room. She never took it. I finally had to go find her to give her the tips. But we had two iPhones, an iPad, a high-end laptop, a couple wallets/purses, a new SLR camera, and jewelery sitting around the room during the whole stay and it was never touched. This is very unusual for a Caribbean hotel and something they should be very proud of.

The location on Kite Beach is very good. All the "semi-pro" kiteboarders ride directly in front of the hotel when the wind is good. It is very entertaining to watch and you never get tired of it. For those with their own gear, the grassy area is great for kite cleaning, but they should install an air pump, then it would be perfect. Kite beach in general is much more quiet than downtown Cabarete. If I wasn't there to kiteboard then staying on Cabarate beach would've been better. But really, if I wasn't there to kiteboard then I wouldn't have gone to Cabarete in the first place.

If you need kite lessons, don't use the school at the hotel (KiteXcite). Kite Club is better in Kite Beach, and LEK is better in Cabarete. I won't go into other details because this is supposed to be focused on the hotel, but I think the associated restaurant and kite school should be mentioned.

Overall, I would book this hotel if you want a roomy and clean 3-star hotel. I would not book a room in the older building, because if budget is the issue there are better priced economy 2-star hotels in the area. If budget is that much of an issue, then just stay next door at Extreme Hotel. If you want a suite with full kitchen that is closer to 4-star, then consider Ocean Point that is just up the beach. We were only looking for a reasonably priced 3-star with a basic kitchen, and had a great time at this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose the new building. Book directly with the hotel by contacting Janina.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank brettn_10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
New York
Reviewed 4 June 2012

My girfriends and I (5 of us in total) went on a kiteboarding trip May 25-June 1 2012. After staying two nights in another nearby hotel which was filthy and threatened to ruin our vacation, we swirched to Kite Beach Hotel. This hotel is very clean, comfortable, and air conditioned... and located right on kite beach...the central part of the action if you like to kiteboard. There is a free breakfast buffet daily for hotel guests which includes juice, coffee, toast, muffins, fresh fruit, ham, cheeses and eggs/omlettes cooked to order. After loading up, you can head right out to the pool and wait for the wind to pick up for kiting. The restaurant that is attached to the hotel is great because they let you run a tab, so you never have to carry your cash to the beach. The staff is extremely friendly. They will help call cabs/motos, suggest restaurants, and just generally make you feel well cared for. When we were there the owner invited us on a dinner trip she had arranged for hotel guests to Blue Moon, an indian restaurant about a half hour from Cabarete where diners sit in a big tent and are served traditional indian dishes, eaten with our hands on banana leaves. It was amazing and we got to meet other guests and kiteboarders which made for a really great time :)

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank SariTrip
illinois
Reviewed 7 May 2012

We stayed recently at this hotel,we had read the reviews of the hotel options in the area and chose this one as it was right on  the beach and my husband wanted to kite board and kite excite is attached to the hotel.
The hotel has a very pleasant and relaxing atmosphere overlooking a great stetch of beach,which gives you easy access to walk into the local village about 2 miles away.
There are various room options which need to be carefully looked at,we had checked this before arrival via one of the other reviews the main problem is there is one building that is defiantly superior looking than the others with large balconies over looking the pool and sea ahead we had
Specifically paid more and requested a room with a view in the updated building on arrival we were given a very large one bedroom apartment with a tiny balcony,though the room iis self was tidy it didn't look like it had  been dusted in recent times the linen and towels were fresh though the mini kitchen had a rusty fridge grante counters that didn't seem to have seen any granite cleaner in awhile so looked dull,the taps and shower heads where all full of limescale and therefore didn't work well.we did ask to be moved and were told they would have to contact the owner in Germany so nothing could be done untill the following day,the following day we inquired again and were told we could move to an alternative apartment which was even bigger it had two bedrooms which we were told we must not use the one room which didn't both us and we had a large balcony overlooking the sea,again the room was tidy and basically clean,the main problem is lack of detailed cleaning and a number of things needed to be mended cracked tiles lose towel rails etc,I think the kitchen, though I had no intentions of cooking whilst on holiday, would have been nice to have some basic equipment like glasses bottle opener plates knife fork and spoon etc,and the fridges should not be rusty,we have been to plenty of other carribean areas so I know it's nothing to do with the tropical air,another useful thing would be to have an airer with pegs ( as it can be quite windy) to hang washing on. The day after would changed apartments we were told as we had moved into a different apartment we would have to pay an extra $20 dollars a night,we felt this was very unfair having requested and paid for a room with a view when we booked( via expedia) in the end we reluctantly paid $10 dollars extra a night,though felt scammed
The local village of cabarete has  Some good restaurants and the usual touristy shops banks and supermarket there is a very nice bakery on the way in.the locals seem very friendly though people selling things out suitcases are annoying they keep trying to get you to buy nic knacks, hair brading and massages ,though they weren't nasty or anything it's nice to walk around without being harassed all the time,they seem to be licensed though as they all wear blue shirts.
Although we had a pleasant holiday, we probably wouldn't go back.
The kite excite group attached to the hotel provided an excellent kiting experience for my husband,we would highly recommend them.

Room Tip: If you want a better room with a good view make sure you ask to be in the newer area
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ukdoug2
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I stayed at Kite Beach Hotel from April 1 to through April 7 on a last minute whim. I wanted to take a week of Spanish classes at the beach, and found one on one lessons next door, at eXtreme. I am not a Kite Surfer, but it didn't matter. I had a blast. Janina sent a taxi to pick me up at the airport, as I was traveling solo. I was greeted by Janina, who organized a dinner then next evening with a bunch of people staying in the hotel. The dinner with the other guests was lovely and really an international crew. The hotel room itself was comfortable and quiet. Getting into the center of Cabarete was a nice walk in the morning, or a quick moto taxi. The beach itself is lovely, and away from the madness of the center of Cabarate.

I would highly recommend Kite Beach Hotel, and look forward to returning soon!

Room Tip: If you're solo, you might want to ask for a room with out a connecting door.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank suszoe
Reviewed 3 April 2012

If you want 5 star go elsewhere, this is a kite surfers hotel but with a little extra. For kite surfers it's superb, the first time my other half has been able to walk right out of the hotel and onto the beach and really surf. The hotel is basic but immaculately clean, breakfast is good but not brilliant but we ate there several times at night and the carbonara was far better than in the Italian in town. Get Janina to organise a trip to Blue Moon and get to know your neighbours. Janina helped sort out trips for us and was great for tips on where to eat. Try Ali's for steak, ribs and Thai chicken curry.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Dogsfeet1966
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I stayed at the Kite Beach Hotel the second time now, and I had a blast again! The overall experience is just perfect. Super-nice, helpful staff (especially Janina the hotel manager), great rooms, perfect location for kitesurfing, good food, nice bar, fair prices...
I even prolonged my first stay to about three weeks - unfortunately that wasn't possible this time, but I can't wait to return. :-)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 2 March 2012

My husband and I just returned from our tropical vacation in the DR. While there, we spent three nights at the Kite Beach hotel in Cabarete and I have nothing but great things to say! The staff were wonderful and very helpful. We encountered a flat tire before we arrived and the staff helped us get it fixed in no time!
We stayed in a one bedroom apartment and it was nice to have the space (and extra bathroom!) No problems with noise or bugs and we loved sitting outside on our patio at night and enjoying the ocean breeze.
The beach is gorgeous and as non-kiters, seeing the kite surfers was a real treat for my husband and me
The food was good and priced well.
We had no problems while at the Kite Beach Hotel and really recommend this hotel.

Thank you for being so accommodating!

Room Tip: The one bedroom apartment had a lot of space
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple