“Just off the beaten path. Great property. Not ideal water access.”
Review of Hotel El Magnifico

Hotel El Magnifico
Reviewed 19 February 2007

The new buildings are beautiful, the older buildings are a bit dated, the security and cleaning staff were great and very friendly. Gardens are beautiful and it was a unique private location just around the corner from the main part of Cabarete beach.

I would caution that if you want to swim, windsurf or kite from the property it is not ideal due to the wide reef. You have to walk around the corner to the Velero and use the beach in front of that resort. Its not a bad walk, but if you want to play right in front of your lodging, this isn't the place. There are also no beach chairs available. Still, small complaints for a beautiful place. It was our first trip to Cabarete so I don't have other places to compare it to.

Note that some of the buildings border a big graveyard (pictured). I thought it was kind of scenic, but one of our group who came without his wife commented that she would not have wanted to stay there (graveyard off the balcony between her and the ocean).

All in all, though, a good experience, great memories, and I second the recommendations for eating at Claro's just up the driveway. Friendly and great food for breakfast and lunch. All in all, other than the water access, a very convenient location. We'll probably try another place next time, but I suspect will be back to Magnifico on our third visit.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank kitertodd

Reviewed 23 January 2007

We stayed in Cabarete for eight nights at the Magnifico Hotel, right on the beach just a little bit east of the town. It is a 15-20 minute walk to the town center, where most of the restaurants and bars are located. The Magnifico is really a nice place. We stayed in the penthouse apartment on the top (third) floor of the original building. It has two bedrooms, full bath, full kitchen, large living room and three balconies with ocean views. One large balcony off the living room is right on the ocean, which is beautiful, but there is a small cemetery between you and the ocean that isn’t shown on the hotel website. Some might find that a little disconcerting, but we didn’t mind at all. The bedrooms are airconditioned, which worked perfectly. No bugs or other bothersome creatures were found. Tile floors in the condo and on the balconies are a really nice touch. The pool area is very nice, as is the Jacuzzi (but like most places in the D.R., the Jacuzzi is a “cold tub”). Everything about this hotel is good. Nice people, excellent service, free wi-fi and decent location. The walk to town on the highway can be sporty sometimes – the traffic on the main road can be brutal, and you really have to be careful, as there are few sidewalks and the local drivers are maniacs behind the wheel. Pedal to the metal, smoky exhaust and horns blaring. You can always walk to town on the beach, which is spectacular, but if the tide is high, expect to get your feet wet. On the street side, Cabarete can be a pretty foul place, with all the traffic sounds and smells. On the beach side it’s like a different world, peaceful and serene. I highly recommend this hotel - it met our needs perfectly and we wouldn't stay anywhere else when we return.

Stayed: January 2007
2  Thank collie1228
Reviewed 8 January 2007

Had a wonderful Stay for 4 nights on december, hotel was full, but never crowded. Very quiet and peaceful.

Kids just loved the pool and jacuzzi

Exellent location, close to the beach, supermarkets, restaurants.

Great people in the Hotel, very friendly and easy going!

Excellent alternative to an all inclusive, to avoid the crowds and enjoy peacefully.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with family
1  Thank YoHugo
Reviewed 3 December 2006

We stayed in Cabarete for two weeks in November 2006. The first week we stayed at Olas de Oro (apt.22) which is in the other end (the end where all the kitesurfing is at) of Cabarete Bay. We all (4 adults, 3 children)liked both accomondations very much, some of us voted for week 1 and some week 2. Both very nice, and very different from eachother.
I do agree that Magnifico is a very stylish hotel, the building we stayed in ( # 4 ) and the hotel grounds are not the ordinary hotel thing, they are very special.
I still think that I can also find some things that made it not perfect in my opinion. Bare in mind that we traveled with children, I guess an adult couple would find these things not so important.
Here goes:

- there is no swimmable beach here

- our apartment was told to have an oceanview, which it also did.
Nobody told us what was between the ocean and the hotel (see picture)

- the sound level in the apartment was pretty high as there are no "normal" windows there. Nighttime I woke up of this as I am used too an quiet bedroom

Despite these things it is a beautiful place, and my greetings to Lisa at the frontdesk, she was very nice and natural to deal with.

Will be glad to answer any questions.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with family
5  Thank Basse911
Reviewed 18 July 2006

I have had the pleasure of staying at some of the nicest hotels in the world and many hotels in Dominican republic.
El Magnifico is an absolute treasure, I booked a two bedroom ground floor condo, it was superbly furnished and beautifully decorated, the grounds of the hotel are impecabble and although I was told the hotel was busy for three days we did not see another person!
We rented a car as always and this is not a necessity but I like to explore!. Just 50 meters from the hotel is Supermercado Janet which carried everything you would need and the hustle and bustle of Cabarete is minutes away. We preffered to walk into town on the beach much more scenic. The hotel staff were excellent. Free wireless and perfect maid service We could not have been happier
We will definatley visit again.
I am almost loathed to place a review as I want to keep it a secret!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ian Riding Orlando Fl

• Stayed: July 2006
3  Thank iriding
Reviewed 25 April 2006

My girlfriend and I just returned from a fantastic stay in Cabarete. Hotel El Magnifico was fantastic, especially for the money. The rooms are very comfortable, well-designed, and clean. The staff was very friendly. Perhaps the best part -- you can walk right onto the eastern end of Playa Cabarete, just far enough around the bend to avoid the crowd, and just far enough off the street to avoid the noise. There's no restaurant on the property, but there are 2 great options next door: Claro, on the corner of the access road, is a great breakfast/lunch spot; and Otra Cosa is a small, well-run, beachside restaurant next door. If you want to go to the DR, but don't want the all-inclusive trap, this is a great place. Don't tell too many people though!

• Stayed: April 2006
4  Thank EvanRansom
A TripAdvisor Member
england
Reviewed 22 April 2006

Quiet and peaceful. The perfect place to relax and chill out.
Beach front condo ensured excellent views and easy access to the outdoor (again beach front!) jacuzzi.
The condos were kept clean and daily maid and laundry service a bonus.
Far enough away from centre of Cabarete (3 min walk along beach) but close enough to be in the middle of it all.
Anyone gong here should pop in and see Sandy at Clario's - the cafe almost on site - her food is lush and very very cheaply priced.

• Stayed: April 2006