“Lovely place”

Cabarete Surfcamp
Ranked #6 of 29 Cabarete B&B and Inns
“Lovely place”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

ive had the opportunity to go a couple of times to Alis Surfcamp and i must say its been a wonderful experience each single time.

the owner Ali,and the rest of the team are just a great combination, very welcoming and they seem to make sure that im having a good time, assisting me in anything i need.

you also have great deals for taking surf lessons, if you want to take the whole Cabarete experience, which i think was fantastic, and the teacher 'Antonio' always seemed to care that every student learn the Surf lessons.

definitely coming back next year!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Just an awful experience. The owner have a very poor sense of hospitality. Cheap and good location is not worth the aggravations they caused my friends and I. Watch your belonging. Many people got robbed there. Also seems unsafe for woman.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Mark H
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I stayed 3 weeks in alis Surfcamp. I just read the description from mfranza that they were robbed.
I am really surprised about that. Nothing happend during our stay. They have several dogs and a securities man during the night. Ali is a German guy he is lovley person he was`t agressive at all to us. Also his stuff and his dougter were really friendly and helped us often. The food, and of course the Steak are fantastic. We enjoyed are vacation there and we defently comming back there. We met peoble from all over the World.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank BEN B
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 January 2014

DO NOT GO TO THIS PLACE. VERY UNSAFE
My friends and I rented the River House, which has two rooms and a porch. On the evening of Dec 30, 2013, while one of my friends and I were still on the porch, my room was robbed. The thief opened the safe box and took everything in it except my passport. The worst part of this experience was not this per se, but the owner's and his accomplice's attitude. I approached the owner (Ali) to discuss the matter and he said that he did not want to talk to me and added (sic): "What can you do, you are in a Latin American country". Myself being Argentinean and currently living in Brazil, I found that incredibly offensive, and told him so. Ali became verbally abusive and physically threatened to punch me by putting his closed fist in front of my face. His accomplice Antonio Ochoa (not an partner, but just Ali's friend), made abusive and discriminatory remarks as well towards me and my friends. (Ali and Antonio are both European).
Ali and Antonio said that this had never happened before. We found out some hours later, that two other guests with adjacent rooms were also robbed before Christmas eve, while they were at dinner at the camp's restaurant. Furthermore, the same night that I was robbed another guest was robbed as well.
Ali and his accomplice Antonio are abusive, discriminatory, and potentially behind this scam. If I were you I would definitely not stay in this place.
Read these other reviews, just so you confirm that I am not the only dissatisfied customer.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Mfranza
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 21 January 2014

we booked months in advance and at least we stayed one night instead of 21. as we arrived, our room was not cleaned and we had to wait in the restaurant, which belongs to the camp. there they serve daily breakfast and dinner to the people who stay in the camp. about 15 to 20 (stray??)dogs are at the camp, also everywhere in the restaurant. the run into the kitchen, lay under the tables… come to you while eating… horrible. one dog is okay, but not so many. after cleaning the room wasn’t clean, we opened the window and could see dust and hairs all over the floor (we booked the colonial room). the dogs run during the whole night on the roof of our room, sleeping was impossible. BUT the MOST HORRIBLE thing about the camp / restaurant where the rats. I saw them as we were sitting in ali´s restaurant for our dinner, the run through the place. I went to the room and hadn’t any dinner, too awful. the camp itself is not on the beach, it´s at a lagoon and mosquitoes are everywhere. We left in the morning of the next day, in high season, and found a place which was cheaper and directly at the beach (cabaret palm beach condos). without breakfast we paid less, than in the camp, but we had a kitchen and a big room, with cupboard and a safe, biiiig bathroom as well as a terrace. we didn’t go surfing with cabaret surf camp, we rented boards and took private lessons direct at encuentro beach (moto´s are driving you for about 3 euros to the surf beach) at CHINO´s SURF SCHOOL. cheaper than the camp, we paid 125 USD for 15 total days board rental and a private lesson was about 20 USD (because we rented the boards, they offer a cheaper price for private lessons). AT LEAST WE DIDN´T got back any money from the deposit we made and also Thomas didn´t answer anymore. stay away from this surf camp, it´s too disgusting, expensive, dirty and unfriendly staff. and it´s NOT AT THE BEACH.

Room Tip: don´t stay there.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank veronika b
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We didn't stay at the hotel, but our hotel was just nearby so we came to Cabarete Surfcamp several times for dinner and we took their surf lessons. The only thing that was good about this place - is the dinner. It was delicious. But even good food doesn't worth being near this place. The owners are extremely rude. Based on other reviews here I see I am not the only one who suffered from Antonio's (the owner) rudeness, so it is not a one time thing. Their surf school was pretty much a waste of the time. The instructor was very nice guy, but the lessons are not helpful and don't teach you much. Antonio is the one who runs this school and his attitude to his instructors at the school is as bad as his attitude to the people who stays at his hotel. He just doesn't value anything around him besides money. So as I said, I wouldn't come close to this place ever again especially when I am on vacation and want to have a good time.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ShPolina
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Speaking about accommodation - we stayed in private studio, first floor. I have no complaints related to our stay - it was perfect, room was clean and cleaning service done every day, they even washed our dishes. We didn't take "meal plan", but usually we had lunch and dinner at the camp's restourant, because it really worths! Everything you take is tasty and price is pretty fair for food (not for drinks!-)). Our stay was good, and it seems that we were lucky because... during our stay 3 rooms of the camp WERE ROBBED! Safes do not work - it's easy to crash the lock and police cannot help you! And each time the camp's workers were so impressed and said: oh, no this is first time, we never had such situations. Hm...

One more important thing - do not take the surf lessons here (and probably anywhere else in Cabarete), they don't provide a lesson! All they do - pushing you into the ocean, that's all. If it's first time for you and you just want to have fun instead of learning how to surf - should be ok.

Room Tip: Take studios behind the pool - they a quiet and with less humidity
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple