“A taste of living in Cabarete!”

Ocean Dream Condominiums
Ocean Dream Condominiums
Boston, Massachusetts
“A taste of living in Cabarete!”
Reviewed 20 September 2012

I had an amazing stay at the Ocean Dream condos. This is my second time staying here and would absolutely recommended for couples or families. This time I came with a family of 4 adults and 1 child. I booked the 2 bedroom condo. But upon arrival Sonja upgraded us to the 3 bedroom. It was huge! great decor, big kitchen, 3 bathrooms, amazing balcony with a hammock, washer and dryer inside the condo, free wi-fi. I just love staying here. It makes you feel like you're living in Cabarete. The location is one of the best things about this condo. It's within walking distance of the center of Cabarete. The beach is a few feet away. Lots of kite surfing on the beach.The pool was nice and warm and although you share it with the other 3 bedroom condos it was never crowded at all. Security is also very tight at this property. Each guest gets a card which you need to show at either the front entrance or the beach entrance in order to get in. There's a security guard walking around the property all day and night. It makes you feel very secure. I'm definetly staying here again next time I visit Cabarete. As always Sonja does everything to make you feel welcome.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank rosemary z

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
reigate, UK
Reviewed 1 August 2012

This was my first trip to the DR, in fact my first venture to anywhere in the Caribbean so I had no clear idea what to expect. I've been itching to write up a positive review ever since my return from a fantastic fortnight and 14 days solid kiteable winds.

Pre-trip everything was handled really well by Sonja who is the booking agent for many of the Condos. Arrival, cab run from airport to resort, check in all simple. The site offers excellent security, proximity to the beach from all units, it's clean, superbly maintained and quiet.

We chose a 2nd floor 2 bedroom unit which was in perfect condition, air-con cool, spacious and sufficiently private. Maid cleaning twice a week, huge fridge, plenty of hot water, no powercuts!

Location is good too - a 5-10 minute walk up the beach to get to all the main bars and restaurants - but if alone, running the gauntlet along the beach at night is not recommended - more later! The main supermarket is at the other end of town which is a small negative as the local taxi guys charge a lot for their service!

For couples, singles or kiteboarding parents with kids, this place is the perfect answer and to complete the puzzle, Laurel Eastman's kite school is right next door. Seperate report on that to come.

If I was forced to think of a negative, it would be that sound travels through the ceiling quite a bit so if you are intending to have lazy lie-ins every morning and the residents above you like an early start, you're going to hear them!!

Definately going back but next time with a possy from my kite club!

Room Tip: top floor!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 5 February 2012

I have stayed at these condominiums twice and each time it has met my expectations. The location is very secure! In order to enter the gate, you must have a pass or if you have a local who is coming to visit, they must have their cedula (ID card) in order to get in. The same applies to enter the beach. There is no need to worry about your safety.

The WiFi connection isn't the best, but since you're on vacation, I don't recommend spending your time watching TV and surfing the web when you can do that at home. Spend time walking on the beach or walking on their main street where there are tons of shops and stands with souvenirs. Now prices are definitely outrageous because your in a tourist location so I recommend having DOMINICAN PESOS AT ALL TIMES. Never walk around with foreign currency. They'll rip you off big time! And if you speak Spanish...that's a plus. Then they can't rip you off.

Sonja has booked both of my reservations, and she absolutely amazing. She will arrange some to pick you up at the airport and grocery store for an additional cost. However, I recommend using a local taxi to bring you from Puerto Plata to Cabarete because it's a lot cheaper. Also, my boyfriend, family, and I rented a car the last time just because it was so much easier to get around. It was such an inconvenience to get to the grocery each time with a taxi or sometimes we had to walk. But since we such a LARGE group we had to have a rental car. We also spent some time in Gaspar Hernandez and Rio San Juan which are about 20 and 45 minutes from Cabarete.

Staying here is far more different than a resort. You truly experiencing the REAL Dominican life!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Twix922
Toronto
Reviewed 27 January 2010

This was the most beautiful place we've ever stayed at in Cabarete. It's total comfort, complete safely, and absolutely luxurious, but at a very reasonable price.

The property management is very welcoming, attentive, and friendly. The grounds are immaculate, and the pool is gorgeous, situated in the centre of the court yard.

I would not hesitate to recommend this as the absolute perfect place to stay in Cabarete, Dominican Rebpublic!!!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Scandinaviansurfer
NY
Reviewed 4 January 2010

We stayed at 106 Kite Drive in the Ocean Dream Condo complex. We rented through Pat and Bob K and were greatly impressed with their professionalism and help. They could not be more willing and able to insure our comfort and answer all our questions before and during our vacation.
The 2 bedroom unit we rented was spotless and had all the amenities expected from a first class hotel/condo. The building we stayed in consisted of 12 units surrounding a pool---very private. A short walk took you right to the ocean, right in the midst of the kiting and windsurfing areas of Cabarete. One drawback was there were no chairs to sit on right in front of the condos, but a 5 minute walk took you to an area where you could rent two lounges and an umbrella for under $10 daily. The water was phenomenal. Rental opportunities for sports equipment were plentiful. We felt very safe and secure in the apartment. Would love to return!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank erobertson11746
koss982003
Reviewed 21 June 2009

My wife and I came to the DR for a month and looked at a number of places. We couldn't find any fault with where we stayed. At $900USD for a batchelor pad for the month it was also very reasonable. Included was the air conditioning and weekly maid service. I don't think there would be any bad units in the complex because we were in one of the cheapest and it was great.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank koss982003
N. Hollywood, CA
Reviewed 21 June 2008

First, the pictures don't do it ANY justice. It's like ten times BETTER than the pictures. The pictures were great, but then the place was AWESOME. From the moment we arrived on the property, we knew that the vacation was more than worth it. The staff is really nice, and really available. You can't find that at many places. Me and my group were completely impressed with the way they handled us, and the care that they put into our trip. I am planning to go back again, and wouldn't think twice about returning. It doesn't matter if this is your first trip, or if you're a seasoned traveler. You will enjoy. I can put money on it.

Stayed April 2008