“We keep going back”

Ranked #9 of 29 Cabarete B&B and Inns
Providence, Rhode Island
“We keep going back”
Reviewed 1 December 2012

We have stayed as Casa Blanca the past two years a week or so around New Year's. Hoping to return this year if I haven't waited too late for availability.
As noted, this is definitely budget accommodations. However, we have always found it to be clean, it has a great swimming pool, and cool and pleasant grounds. Pretty quiet when we've been there.

The rooms are not huge, but we've never had a problem (two adults, one young child). If you are staying for more than a week I advise that you pack light and use the inexpensive wash & fold service across the street.
We've always stayed in non-AC rooms and been totally comfortable just using the fan. (Dec/Jan) The walk to the beach is not far at all. Also, the fantastic Cafe Claro is attached to the hotel for a fantastic breakfast. Supermarket is right next door. And it is only a very short walk into the main clump of shops and restaurants in Cabarete. My family felt safe walking back at night and never had anyone bother us at all. May be different if I were on my own.
The owners are very friendly. For example, Dorothy shared some delicious home made snacks on New Years. And they know the area very well, so can make recommendations for activities, restaurants, taxi, etc.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank RicosAlice
cabaretewilliam, Owner at Casa Blanca Hotel & Surf Camp, responded to this review, 28 December 2012
Welcome back for the third time! We enjoy getting know our guests and are pleased that you like it here. Thanks for your review which is well written!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Molde
Reviewed 27 November 2012

This family run hotel differs from the mainstream in Cabarete by being small and cozy with lots of trees and plants around the property. While it's not technically on the beach (maybe 150 meters away) it is actually pretty close to the good part of the beach where people hang out and where the bars and restaurants are.
Various options of breakfast and lunch can be had from early morning until 2 pm and is served in the very cozy, small restaurant in the garden. If you opted for a room with a kitchen and want to fix your own food the biggest grocery store in Cabarete is just around the corner.
William and Dorothy are very nice people and are always there to answer questions and give you good tips of how to navigate Cabarete. There was no A/C in my room and i never missed it (mid November). Internet reception by the pool is only fair but in my room it was really good. Also there are virtually no nasty bugs and stuff around here, only the occasional mosquito.
The rooms are obviously not comparable to the more expensive places but then again, I did not come here to spend time in my room. :-) They are clean and functional. This is indeed very good value for money, no question about it! I can recommend it to anyone who's not interested in paying premium for those extra shiny marble floors!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Falna
It was great getting to know you and having you stay with us! Do come back. Thanks for the detailed and well written review!
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Casa Blanca was the perfect place to stay this summer! Located right in town, the hotel was only a short walk from the beach and all restaurants. The rooms were kept extremely clean and the owners were on site whenever you had a question or needed something. While not all rooms have a kitchen in them, you can pay a little more for access to the hotel's well kept kitchen. Claro Restaurant is also located in a hotel and has delicious food. Casa Blanca is also EXTREMELY supportive of the local volunteer organizations and provide discounts for those that are in Cabarete to volunteer. William and Dorothy treat you like family and are always looking to make sure you're enjoying your stay. I would definitely recommend Casa Blanca to friends that are planning on travelling to the DR!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank cek88
Hola CEK! Was great having you here in Nov. A quiet time but a great time to enjoy Cabarete. Thanks for the detailed observations and great review! Come on back anytime!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 August 2012

This was my third visit to Cabarete. The first year my hotel was centrally located, but dirty. Last year's hotel was very clean, but too far out. Casa Blanca was the perfect combination. It is less than five minutes from the beach. Although the rooms are not cleaned every day, it is very clean. On the off days, I was able to ask for extra towels. Each room has a safe. The internet reception was better in some rooms than others. However, the balcony and the lobby have good reception. Most rooms have fans and no A/C. This is common for budget hotels here. The furniture is dated, but in good condition. It was very quiet. Dorothy and William donate generously to a local girls program. During the day in the summer it is common to see the campers using the pool or the lobby. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the courtyard. They have the best reception.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank BowenTS
Hola Bowen! Was great having you with us. As you so rightly point out we have the best combination of location, cleanliness, facilities and price! Come on back anytime. Thanks for the review!
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Reviewed 11 July 2012

i stayed for 1 month and it was the best place i found based
on the price and location.

its also very safe if your traveling whit surf or kitesurf gear.
the best breakfast in town at the front of the house with good music
was also a good.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank abrmko
Gracias amigo. Glad you like it here and welcome back anytime!
White Rock, Canada
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I was at the Casa Blanca for thw twelve days and I was taken care of the whole time. My room was cleaned very well every day all though it was clean anyway. Dorothy and William are very kind hosts and they did so much for me to make sure I was happy there. My days at their pool were quiet and relaxing,so I was able to read.float and just do my thing, Dorothy even whipped up some smoothies for the guests,very nice. The price was amazing for my stay and I was quite pleased. I am so glad I didn't go anywhere else because the location to the beach and amenities made it easy to go for walks in the sunset and buy snacks on the way back. I enjoyed walking around town,visiting shops,speaking to the locals,all english speaking too. Being the first time there in the Dominican I didn't know what to expect but It was comforting knowing I was safe like I feel at home. Thanx to Dorothy and William, I had a great time in Cabarate and I will do it again soon.

Room Tip: I was in on room on the top floor that was facing the street and it did not have the internet and wa...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lydia N
, Owner at Casa Blanca Hotel & Surf Camp, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Lydia, very happy to have you stay with us! Hope to see you again in November. Our July has turned out amazing with 98% full for the month with mostly young people. And this is what we used to call low season! :)
Providence
Reviewed 10 June 2012

My family and I stayed at Casa Blanca for two nights ($60/night) in studio A. We chose this room because it seemed to be the only room that could accomodate 4 people with two full size beds. I will not go into much detail about the condition of the room other than it did not have at least one fan that worked properly (and we had three). Not one of us slept the first night because of the heat and the location of the studio was not conducive to the Cabarete breeze. Now, don't get me wrong, I am fully aware of D.R.'s hot climate. My husband is Dominican and some of his family still resides here and we visit frequently, so the heat was no surprise. The fact that the room did not have a proper working fan was the alarming part. The owners do not seem to invest much on the aesthetic of the rooms, which is fine, but they should at least invest in good quality fans so their guests can sleep comfortably. We requested a room with AC the next day, since my daughter was starting to break out in heat rash. It cost us $18 more, which we gladly paid. This is probably a good place to stay if you are traveling alone or with your significant other and are on a tight budget. If not, pay a little more and stay somewhere else where you will have better sheets, softer toweles and no roaches crawling on your bed. I would have posted pictures but we didn't take any perhaps because not one of us had the desire to remember this hotel. Lastly, I did not find the owners to be very pleasant. A bit dry and clearly not the Dominican hospitality we are used to.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank Lanunez
cabaretewilliam, Owner at Casa Blanca Hotel & Surf Camp, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
At $15 per night per person in a third world country they should not expect the Ritz. The room has two fans and we added a floor fan when they complained. "So the heat was no surprise" and "I am fully aware of D.R.'s hot climate" yet it was a surprise? The $18 was for an upgrade to a one bedroom apartment and AC. For the rest of the comments, fortunately we only have perhaps one such client a year. The ones you try the hardest to please are the ones you cannot satisfy. People who work in the hospitality industry know! This Studio was rented after they left and is rented now again a week later with no complaints whatsoever. That is no surprise to us.