“Exactly what we were looking for!”

Casa Blanca Hotel & Surf Camp
Ranked #12 of 30 Cabarete B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 March 2009

My husband and I spent 4 nights in Cabarete and decided to stay at Casa Blanca based on its rating here on TA as well as the value - we were NOT disappointed!! The owners are 2 of the nicest people we met during our trip, and everything about this place has such a personal touch. Our studio had a bathroom, bedroom and a kitchen/living area and was more space than we even needed at 1/2 the cost of smaller rooms at neighboring hotels. No TV in our room, but we quickly learned we definitely didn't need it! We felt very safe here and it's far enough away to have peace and quiet but a close walking distance from the bars/clubs/casino. We wouldn't think twice about returning to this hotel for future visits.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 February 2009

I stayed in this hotel with my children, 12 and 8 years old, in January 2009 . We have chosen to stay away from the" 5-stars" , as there is little of real life of community reflected there. My other consideration was , that all-inclusive life style with many examples of waste might be harmful for spiritual growth of my children.
We arrived late at night with delay of few hours due to storm in Puerto Plata. Dorothy, the owner of the hotel greeted us and shared with us their own meal , after she learned we were starving.
We lived in studio"D" with our own kitchen and shower .
We had all basic things for living and , if there was something we needed, Dorothy and William were there for us to provide us with all sorts of tips, advices and tons of little things one requires, when being away from home.
Description of this hotel was provided truthfully on the website.
The highlight of this place in my opinion is caring and accomodating attitude of William and Dorothy. It felt like visiting with family.And that we value the most.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 February 2009

Casa Blanca hotel was gorgeous. Janet's, the supermarket, is practically neighbours with the hotel. The pool is very big and the flowers there are all sorts of colors. By the pool, you can also see big beautiful orange butterflies. Our room had a television with many channels. We even ended up finding a Russian one! My mother, my sister and I stayed in Studio D. It was a little bit empty at first, and then we bought some decorations at Janet's and fixed it up. The whole hotel looks very nice, and the owners (Dorothy and William Oosterman) where very nice to us, helping us with everything. Thanks to William's connections, I went to Ranch Montana and had a great time galloping through a city. Since Cabarete is a small city, it is very safe, unlike Puerto Plata and Santiago. The taxi drivers are very good drivers and the whole staff is very friendly. By the way, at the beach, there are very big waves and we found absolutely dashing seashells. I strongly recommend this hotel to easy-going, natural people.
Masha

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 January 2009

My wife and I visited the DR for 10 days and stayed 5 nights at the Casa Blanca. We had our own car and used the hotel as our point of departure for a variety of trips. We went to Playa Grande, Sosúa, Puerto Plata and to a rural school near Monte Llano. I mention this to point out that Cabarete is central to a lot of places on the north coast. It was always nice to return to the Casa Blanca after a trip. Dorothy and William Oosterman were excellent hosts and we enjoyed talking with them.

The hotel is clean. The pool, while small, is extremely clean and relaxing. A short walk to the beach gets you to a rather isolated portion of the beach. The surf was rough while we were there but fun to play in. We are both retired people but in good health and love to swim, even where it is challenging.

Studio F was not air conditioned but we had little trouble sleeping since we were able to catch a nice breeze. The bed was comfortable and the ceiling fan was adequate.

The Claro restaurant -not run by the hotel- is convenient, reasonably priced and serves good meals. We ate 4 breakfasts there and ate one at Panadería Dick which was excellent! We also found a number of very good restaurants in Cabarete. The ones on the beach are more expensive than the ones on main street but they all were very good. Select Dominican food whenever you can. It is good! Recognize that it is quite easy to get to these restaurants by walking although the "sidewalks" can be challenging,

A "supermercado ", Janets (or Yanet) is almost next door and prices for many thing are quite reasonable. But you will have to dodge motoconchos parked outside and some motoconistas are a bit reckless. (Read about these in most any guide book.)

The negatives about the hotel include a difficult but usable keying system and limited lighting in the rooms (common in the DR). The circular stairs leading to the upper floors are safe but in need of some repair.

In summary, we both think the hotel is a great facility for a low price with a great location. A great value.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank oldanalyst
Reviewed 1 January 2009

Please read this review for the room/pool only as the remainder of the hotel, the location and the owners, Dorothy and William, deserve the praise which previous reviewers have given them. Sadly, we were not too impressed by our studio or the 'swimming' pool. On perhaps another week, my/our comments about the studio, not the pool, might have differed.

I was delighted when we were offered Studio B as that meant we would have some privacy (as per description) along with some SC facilities, which we always want. When Dorothy opened the 'back' door which leads onto the 'private patio' by the pool we were slightly taken aback to be greeted with much enthusiasm by a group of people standing on this 'private patio'. This is shared with Studio A.

As the afternoon wore on, we then realised that Studio C to the right of us, had it's private area more or less next to our window.
This family group were the friendliest and nicest people you could wish for as neighbours but the fact that they were an arms length away from us at both back and front of the studio meant that we were literally sandwiched between them with access to all their conversations and just a bit too close.
This is not really private in any sense of the word and we were well aware that somehow, our booking or a cancellation from their party, had resulted in this strange configuration with 2 very quiet strangers in the midst of a family group.
We must have appeared very odd to them and perhaps rude. This was not our intention but there were times when we felt quite trapped as the studio was small, smaller than any others in various locations we've visited, with just the 2 beds on which to sit or lie on. To be fair, the evening family gatherings outside Studio C seemed to move into the closed area and we tried to arrange our day so that the family had more room to be together and were not disturbed by our presence.

The studio curtains remained closed unless of course you really didn't mind someone very near to the window or just simply walking round the immaculately kept courtyard. I am surprised no one has ever mentioned any of this before or may be they quite liked the closeness of the units or were not affiliated to 'Trip Advisor'.

I think the 'swimming' pool is an inappropriate name as any swimmer, in this case both of us, will testify. It really is a small pool in which you can paddle or cool off. Again, I did book this hotel on the basis of a 'swimming pool'.

For travellers who enjoy making friends and chatting to their neighbours, or perhaps just being on their own in the rooms but more specifically, for families who want a fantastic base for the area with rooms next door to each other, this is an ideal place.

Both of us work in different educational sectors and once or twice a year, need quiet and not to hear our voices. Unfortunately, this week was not the holiday we thought we might have had based on the hotel descriptions but I will emphasise again, our neighbours and particularly the children, were absolutely delightful and I am sure they must have been pleased not to see one or both of us immersed in a book!

I know William may want to respond to these comments but it won't change how we felt but as you say..."Some you win, some you loose!"

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank lavassola
cabaretewilliam, Owner/Manager at Casa Blanca Hotel & Surf Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2009

We are very sorry it was not what you were expecting. We understand that one hotel may be great for one couple and not what another is looking for. We would have found you a larger quieter studio but we were 100% full at the time. We hope you come back to Cabarete soon!

Reviewed 16 November 2008

Let me start by saying that you will not find two hosts as gracious and accommodating as William and Dorothy, proprietors of the Casa Blanca Hotel. My first trip to the D.R. was an amazing experience, in large part because of their kindness and helpful tips.

I stayed in room #5, a spartan but comfortable room aimed at the budget traveler. It does not have a bathroom ensuite, however, the bathroom with shower is right around the corner and, since the other rooms have their own bathrooms, it is exclusive to your room. The room is equipped with a reciprocating fan, small fridge, comfortable twin bed, and ample shelves, racks, and hangers for your clothes and personal items. You can stash your suitcases under the bed.

The hotel is in the perfect part of town: the beach is a 2 minute walk north; there is a liquor store, supermarket, ATM, and laundry right next door. The main center of Cabarete is a 10 minute walk west, either on the road (for a buck you can get a motorcycle ride) or along the beach (my favorite). Between the Casa Blanca and the "center" of Cabarete are plenty of shops, boutiques, restaurants, banks, money changers, etc. Even though the hotel is at the east "end" of town, you are still close to everything.

Claro Restaurant, owned by Sandy, a lovely German expat, is right downstairs offering exceptional, inexpensive food Tuesday through Sunday, 8 am to 2 pm. During my stay I had the conventional breakfast several times, the breakfast burrito, and the herb chicken wrap. All were scrumptious.

The hotel grounds are beautifully manicured. There is maid service daily (except Sunday's and every other Wednesday). The pool is clear and clean, and I can personally guarantee that there are no sharks in it. There is an outdoor shower to rinse off after a trip to the beach. They have wireless B/G internet service (ADSL 768K/128K for you techies) at no extra charge, and I took the motorcycle out a couple of times to Sabaneta de Yasica and Sosua. It even has electric start!

You can find hotels to spend more money, but in my opinion, you won't find a better value anywhere. I so much enjoyed my stay at the Casa Blanca, that I simply wouldn't consider staying anywhere else when I return. For the budget traveller, little room #5 is ideal, and for others who need more space, an ensuite bath, kitchen, or AC, there are other rooms and studios to meet your needs.

If you like latin jazz, don't miss next year's festival. The setting (right on the beach - you can wiggle your toes in the soft sand), the sound, and the music combined made, for me, the experience of a lifetime. Stay at the Casa Blanca, and you can walk along the beach "home" after each show, listening to the susurrations of the waves. It's Heaven on earth!

Troy Brimm
troy.brimm@yahoo.com

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 October 2008

As a non profit in need of affordable housing for our volunteers, there is no other choice better than Casa Blanca! We run a summer school & camp in Cabarete and need a place to house some of our volunteer teachers for the month of July. The owners were more than accommodating and our volunteers were happy to be staying in such a great place. The pool is amazing and Casa Blanca is the only hotel in Cabarete who has let our campers take swimming lessons there. We have since taught 45 kids to swim thanks to the generosity of Casa Blanca.

We highly recommend Casa Blanca Hotel and have advised many of our donors about this wonderful and convenient place to stay in Cabarete.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business