“comfy and full of character”

Casa Blanca Hotel & Surf Camp
Ranked #9 of 29 Cabarete B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“comfy and full of character”
Reviewed 2 February 2010

This little beach side villa style hotel/hostel is perfect for the single traveler, friends or small family. Its owned by a (Canadian) family, making it more of a personal stay, not to mention friendly, which personally I prefer when traveling in oppose to large expensive tourist trap hotels. We also had a kitchenette in our room, which is fab if you like to cook. Take advantage of the shops down the road from it and grab a load of local produce and food items to create your own dominican feast. And if you're not into cooking, head down the beach a few mins to relax at one of the many little restaurants adorning the AMAZING view of surf and sand. I'll totally stay here again!

Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jentle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed 31 January 2010

I had a wonderful stay at Casa Blanca in early January 2010. Although I have travelled to Cabarete many times in the past, this was my first time at Casa Blanca and I will definitely stay there again. I discovered Casa Blanca as Claro is the best breakfast place in Cabarete – amazing food and atmosphere. I had always travelled to Cabarete with others’ this was my first time going alone so I wanted somewhere where I felt safe. It didn’t take long to meet other people staying there and despite the rain we all had a fabulous time. I would recommend this place to anyone who doesn’t like the big resort type vacations, it is ideal for travellers who just want a clean, comfortable place to rest up. Many of the units also have kitchens which is great as the main grocery store is close and it has a vast selection. Thanks William & Dorothy – I will be back soon! Angela from Ottawa 

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank ladybugwarrenator
Santo Domingo
Reviewed 4 January 2010

In the past, after spending every single new year's with family and friends, we decided to spend 2010's by ourselves in Cabarete. We couldn't have selected a better hotel than Casa Blanca's. Located on the east side of Cabarete Bay, it offered us tranquility, along with proximity to the beach and Cabarete's excellent restaurants and bars, without having to be around the noise that accompanies those locations.

William and his wife are excellent hosts and the service is outstanding. The rooms are comfortable and the restaurant located at their hotel "Claro" makes the most fabulous omelettes in Cabarete (this is a must!). We are already looking forward to returning to the Casa Blanca very soon.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tbison
fairbanks alaska
Reviewed 19 December 2009

I toured on foot most hotels in Caberate and found the Casa Blanca. I walked in and looked around the place and met the owners William and Dorothy Oosterman. After a few minutes talking with them it felt like I knew them all my life.They make people feel right at home. Dorothy gave me a tour of the place and I stayed there 4 nights. I had a bright clean room upstairs and could sit on a balconey overlooking the lush garden and trees with birds chirping. They had a full kichen for use with patio tables and chairs. I liked to have lunch there next to the nice pool area. In one minute you can walk to Janets market that sells most everything. The beaches ocean shopping and nightlife are amazing here!!! The staff, Rita and Juan were helpful and fun to talk to. I will be staying here again, I recommend this hotel with good value and location. Phillip P. North Pole Alaska

• Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank philipe
San Clemente, Ecuador
Reviewed 14 November 2009

Rusty narrow spiral staircases lead you to your room with a sliding glass door. Campy style kitchen which is probably fine for young students or true budget travelers, hotter than hell without a/c at night, so if they do have a/c definitely request one of those rooms. Pool is nice. Not direct beach access but short walk away. Easy walk to everything including great supermarket, Mexican food and the strip of restaurants on the beach. I would not stay again, but for the money, you know that you aren't getting a full amenities hotel........although I think some cosmetic upgrades would help. Maybe not camping, but definitely think YMCA or youth hostel.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
6 Thank megoreilly
cabaretewilliam, Owner at Casa Blanca Hotel & Surf Camp, responded to this review, 17 November 2009
The guest noted great location and great value and for the money, you know that you aren't getting a full amenities hotel. Exactly. You are paying $40 for a studio apartment, an unbeatable price in Cabarete. We do have rooms with AC but the client did not want to spend the money on that. All the mattresses are newer high quality orthopaedic with quality sheets for a good nights rest. In October we have replaced the whole roof with natural wood and beams. All the ceramics, doors and bathrooms in the rooms are being redone/replaced! Perhaps we will need to raise the price a few dollars next year but it has always been our goal to cater to the budget travelers who of course should know they are not getting a $120 per night room. The stairs, well, we are next to the awesome ocean and the salt moisture means we paint them every six months. Our service is excellent. Our maid Rita - with us for 14 years - is the best! For the budget conscious traveler unbeatable value!
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed 14 October 2009

I stayed at the Casa Blanca Hotel for the month of February 2009. This hotel is very close to the main part of town and to the beach. Walking everywhere is easy. Janet's Supermarket is about a 60 second walk away where you can pretty much buy anything you want. The beach is about 3 minutes away. The hotel, pool area and rooms are very clean. The hosts are extremely warm and friendly in a natural way. I did not worry about leaving my camera, ipod, etc., in my room at all. It is a vacation resort though so you do have to make sure you lock up during the day and at night, just as you would in any resort area. I have travelled extensively through the Caribbean and I feel this hotel, and the Dominican Republic, are excellent value for the dollar. I have already booked the same room at the Casa Blanca for 2010...did I mention it was for two months this time...February and March???
Gerry A.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled solo
3 Thank JerriJerri
Dorset
Reviewed 13 October 2009

Myself and my Fiancé stayed at Casa Blanca for 5 weeks in the summer in Studio E. We had an amazing time; the hotel itself was perfect for our needs. The room was spacious, clean and had a great view of the immaculately kept pool and garden area below. The owners, William and Dorothy were very friendly and informative and did their utmost to ensure that our stay was enjoyable. The main purpose of my visit was to kitesurf; the hotel represented an excellent base for this. Just beside the building there is a path that leads directly to the beach (1 minute walk). This section of the bay is very quiet- a lovely, practically private, beach. My usual routine was to launch the kite from this beach and kite downwind to the main kite zone on Bozo Beach (1km) or Kite Beach (2km).

The hotel represents great value for money. I was surprised by some of the other reviews which have reported negatively. The fact is the hotel is not mega luxury, but is very good quality at a very reasonable price. On the issue of security, I found the hotel and the surrounding area to be very safe.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple