Hooked Cabarete
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Kite Beach Hotel(Cabarete)(Great Value!)
US$98
Velero Beach Resort(Cabarete)(Great Value!)
US$102
Sea Horse Ranch(Cabarete)
US$1,534
US$1,300
Travelocity
Kite Dreem Hotel(Cabarete)(Great Value!)
US$35
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsplaya encuentrogreat hostsother guestssecurity guard at nightdifferent nationalitiesrelaxing hideawaysurfing beachhotel managerdominican republicbbq areameet nice peoplewalking distancestayed nightsfully equipped kitchensurf lessonsa wonderful staygreat surf
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We have enjoyed two weeks with Walter and Jeanette, who are excellent hosts. They make you feel like home from the moment you arrive. The place is small, friendly and very safe. The apartments have good size, a small kitchen and a large terrace. An additional advantage is the fact that you can drink the tap water.

Especially if you are looking for a surf vacation this is the perfect place to be. It is a short walk to the best surf beach (beware that surf is the best in the early morning). The owners can help you finding a board or classes if you want. After a good session you can enjoy your day at Hooked sitting at the pool, cooking, reading or socializing with the other guests. There are good yoga classes everyday that help you even relax more!

Both Cabarete and Sosua can be reached in a 10/15 minute drive by car or scooter. It is also easy to get a taxi. All in all the perfect place for a laid back surf & yoga vacation in a wonderful place with amazing people (both owners and guests).

Room Tip: There are larger apartments with three or four beds and smaller ones with a king size bed.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BKrame
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Just returned from a week staying here and had an excellent time. Hooked is a few minutes walk from Encuentro so absolutely ideal if the aim of your holiday is to surf. It's also very quiet and therefore perfect for really relaxing and chilling out while on holiday.

In addition, Hooked is a small, friendly place which is also very secure due to it being a gated area.

The owners, Walter & Jeanette (and their two lovely pet dogs!) were wonderful hosts and could not have been more helpful in suggesting places to eat, arranging surfboard rental and even driving me into Cabarete town a couple of times.

The guests are an interesting international mix which also makes for an interesting stay.

Recommended - I hope to be back there soon.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 January 2014

A few weeks before our departure to Cabarete, we had to cancel for medical reason. A few days prior to our scheduled departure date we had the GO from the doctor. Although Hooked had no more space available, they went behond any expectations, making sure to take care of us by securing a suite at their neighbours. This meant that my husband and I would be able to spend Christmas with our son, daughter in law and 2 grand sons. We slept at the neighbours but spent our days at Hooked with our family. The day of our arrival, Jeannette accompanied us to Sosua's Supermarket to buy groceries. Christmas diner was shared with all the guests at Hooked, 10 different nationalities. Our family had a great time surfing every morning and I had my morning swim on this great beach. My husband and I had long walks on this sandy beach every day. The local fisherman came with their catch of the day, 3 big Maui-maui and all the tenants shared this wonderful meal as a Christmas diner on the BBQ. And the local fruit and veggie merchant came and we could buy fresh produce. Never had such great tasting fruits and veggies. On site Yoga classes were great, thank you Tino. Excellent service oriented people, making sure that all our needs were met. The suites \rooms are a good size, comfortable and are cleaned every day. Nice little kitchen which made it possible for us to prepare light meals while the kids are playing in the pool. Very secure and quiet environment far enough from the big buzz of the big all inclusive places. Thanks you Jeanette, Walter and your staff for your generosity and your genuine caring. It made all the difference in the world to us, a memorable Family Christmas vacation.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank FrancoiseSaumure
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I must say Walter and Jeanette made every effort to make sure we and the other guests were taken care of. From the local dish we had for dinner the first night, I believe called Sancocho to reimbursing us for a taxi fare which I did not mind paying but Walter felt inclined to cover.
We visited DR with surfing in mind and from what I could see Hooked was the closest to the surf spots of all the others. Hooked is located in the middle of what is considered an upscale area of Encuentro. The walk to the beach is about a half mile down a gravel road. It was a nice walk every morning with the cows and horses in the fields. The surf while not being the best I have had was still great. We had 3 days of at least 3-4ft surf. There is a perfect left point at the end of the road and several reefs in front of the surfboard rental spots. I rented a board and there is a pretty good range of boards from short to long. It is a rock bottom with some sea urchins. One thing to note is the wind usually comes up at about 11am and creates quite a bit of chop. That is when it is best for the kite and windsurfing. The water and air were about 85 our entire trip.
Best bet to rent a car because any nightlife is either in Sosua or Cabarete. We felt Cabarete was the better of the 2 however the beach at Sosua if fabulous.
We met people from Germany, Holland and Russia which was surprising to me since we are from the US and it is much closer. But meeting all these different nationalities and spending time talking with them was very enlightening. One day Walter had a local fisherman bring by his catch for the day which included Octopus, Lobster and King fish. We chose the King fish and had BBQ with Walter Jeanette and Tino. Nothing better than fresh caught fish!!.
Each room is equipped with a full kitchen so you can go to the local market which had almost anything which was great.
I suggest when eating out having the Conch or as they say in DR Lambi. It is my personal fav and I had it at least once a day.
Hooked does offer Yoga and massages but we did not do any as we chose to travel around and see the country. If we were spending more time there I am sure we would have taken them up on that.
We highly recommend Hooked when traveling to DR. It was great adventure!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Our rental car got a flat and he took care of us. Gerd, the manager got someone to remove the tire and personally brought it to get it repaired. The car repair place knew him and just did the work immediately withouth any hassle or over payment. I don't speak Spanish and so this was definitely a plus! He dropped me and my girlfriend at breakfast/the beach. We came back to a car with a fixed wheel. We had one full day to enjoy ourselves in this part of the DR and we would have spent it getting the tire fixed if it weren't for Gerd. He was great otherwise as well. He helped with our bags and made sure everything was in place. He helped with directions as we left. We'll go back to this place because of Gerd (and his dog, Amber). I just want to thank this establishment for such a great experience when it could have been pretty crappy otherwise.

Room Tip: the apartments are equally nice from the looks of it.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends