“pleasant stay, many unfair comments about hotel online” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa

Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Juan Dolio
washington dc
“pleasant stay, many unfair comments about hotel online”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2011

Just returned from a week's stay with my teenage son at the Costa Caribe. I took a big chance on staying here, as we had already read and seen terrible comments and photos of the place on this website. When I arrived at the concierge, I immediately told the staff what I had seen and asked them to surprise me so that I could write a favorable review. Seriously, the general manager went around the hotel for 1 hour until he found me the perfect room, with a refrigerator, a new wonderful bed and a quiet garden view out of the chaos of main building. We had a delightful stay. Our concierge's name was Belkys and she did everything to ensure our stay was great. The housekeeper's name was Auralina and she was a dream. Always made sure plenty of coffee and water and fresh towels were available. A little tip goes a long way there - the average wage for every employee is $166.66 per month around 6,000 pesos. So don't forget to leave a couple of dollars for your housekeeper and anyone else who takes care of you. The pools were all kept nicely. The hot tub photo that has appeared here is misleading as it is the hot tub in a building next to the Sante Fe Mexican restaurant which is under renovations (the building) and is not being used for guests. In fact, there is another hot tub under a sheer oasis of trees at the main pool and it is warm and lovely. The food was very very good at all restaurants. The best feature is no reservations are required. The pasta restaurant is elegant and steaks and pasta are nicely prepared. The dominican restaurant has delicious food served in a rum distillery or sugar cane factory. It is very cute and intimate. The beach is pretty and the hotel contains beautiful mature gardens with wonderful palm trees and plenty of green protected spots to retreat from the sun. Take a chance, demand excellence and you should be delighted. There is not much to do outside of the hotel, so take a good book, your computer and relax! Happy Immigration Attorney from DC

Room Tip: talk to the GM or concierge
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank lawdivaWashingtonDc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Durham United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2011

Hi, i have just returned from Costa Caribe, booked thru Purple Travel in a hurry, i then read the reviews and became quite worried. This was my 1st all inclusive to the carribean.
Arrived at Punta Cana airport on a friday at 4pm, transfer to hotel took over 3hours due to heavy traffic, driver nearly crashed a few times as i guess he was in hurry to drop us off an get home.
The hotel front staff were very welcoming with a cocktail waiting for us, bell boy took our cases straight up to room which was very clean, 2 king beds, fresh fruit. The balcony door didnt lock properly so reported it which was fixed within 1hour while we went for a look around and something to eat.
Had to pay 47 US $ for the room safe box.
Tipped the barman at sports bar 1st night and the drinks were practically poured and ready for us whenever needed.
You cant tip every1 but the 1s that you do will give you excellent service.
Felix in the main buffet restaurant was very freindly and gave us fantastic service. food was ok, i am very picky about what i eat but always found something i liked.
The Dominican restaurant and the Mexican are well worth a visit.
The staff were alaways very friendly, NOTE you only need to tip the waiters/barman,maids a couple of $s every few days to get good service, they make minimum wage so are very appreciative for the tips and whats a few $s here and there!!!!
The maid cleaned room every afternoon, beds made, clothes folded and fresh towels were left, also some days fresh flowers were left on the bed or in the bathroom.
NOTE Our coffee maker did not work and we didnt have a fridge. We casually mentioned it to a member of staff, when we got back to the room a fridge was there and the coffe maker was relaced shortly after as well.
Plenty of hot water for showers(by the way, we were in the main building) good view of the beach all though hindered a little by some rather tall palms!
Day tme entertainment was pretty good, The Chocalate Crew try really hard, games on beach, by the pool, aerobics in the sea!!!!
Nightime entertainment not so good and not alot to do apart from crawl from bar to bar.The sports bar is in need of renovation with better pool tables. The disco is very dark inside and pretty much caters to the locals,south americans.
The beach was brilliant, nice sand and crystal clear waters, the vendors are present but i found a polite NO Gracias did the trick if i wasnt interested.
i would also recomend the Health Spa, we had a couples special offer of massage which lasted for over an hour and was very relaxing.
If you turn right outside the hotel entrance and walk 3to4 hundred yards you will find a few little shops/bars. These are very much cheaper than the shops on the complex where you can get basic stuff but also cheaper phone/internet as well.
We went on Saona island,Jeep Safari and Santa Domingo trips booked thru Abel(our rep) at hotel. We heard that trips were much cheaper booked at shops outside the hotel but also heard they were not as good as what we booked.
Saona island is fanatastic, Take a catermaran to the island which was perfect!!!!!!!!!! Buffet barbecue was ok, plenty to drink which was all included in the price. Speed boat back which included a short stop about half a mile out in the sea where we jumped out onto a shelf with the water just above our waist, more free rum n coke and a great place for more pics. Well worth the money.
Jeep Safari, We had 2 very good guides for this, Dominic and Raphael, very funny and very informative. Free Rum n Cokes all the way. Visited a sugar cane plantation where we sampled raw sugar cane, a local street market where we bought lollipops and pencils and then out into the countryside again. Children would rush out of their homes when they heard the jeeps coming and we would throw lollipops to them which they loved. We visted a Cock Fighting farm where we were given a demonstration performance, a local school where the children sang the Dominican anthem for us, here we gave the pencils to the teachers the pencils and handed out more lollys. after that we went to the waterfall where we had a swim then onto a local home where we were given a tour of the house and garden which was very good.
then we went to another local home where our lunch was ready and waiting for us, very nice loacally made food. Then we had the cigar making demonstration and also tried to make our own.
After that we made our way back with a stop off at a bar in a local town where we got a performance from little local children with dancing and gymnastic tricks. I know i have written a lot for this trip and have probably missed bits. I could have written a lot more for this trip which i guess shows how good this was!!! Definately not to be missed if you go!!!!!
Santa Domingo is the capital. Again we had an excellant guide in Marcus!!!!
The trip included a stop at a cave complex which was awesome. About 100 feet underground there was a lagoon with turtles and fish in it, fantastic scenery and photo opportunities here. I missed chance to take a picture of a 4foot long iguana as it dissapeared into the undergrowth :(
Onto Santa Domingo. The old town is wonderful, calm,tranquil and unhurried.The churches and the cathedral were unforgettable with brilliant commentary all the way from Marcus and again some brilliant photo opportunities. The new town was more for the shopping and has to be said quite hectic and scruffy looking. Here we had the chance to barter with the shopkeepers and stall holders. NOTE dont pay asking prices, haggle to get as low as can, let them know your interested but walk away, they will come after you and give you the price you want in the end.
Over all a fantastic visit and a must do for any1 visiting the DR fro the 1st time.
To sum up, Costa Caribe was a great 1st experience for us visiting the DR.
I will definately return to the DR but perhaps not Costa Caribe not that there was anything disapointing with it and the previous reviews we read where people were complaining were unfounded.
I would recomend this hotel for people who were on a budget, there was nothing wrong with the food/ service/staff/beach/rooms
We are from the N/East Uk and read a terrible review from a lady living not far from us, We have a totally different view as her for Costa Caribe!!!!!
We had a fantastic time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a main building room overlooking the beach
4 Thank Craig09_11
Chelsea, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2011

First, all of the negative reviews are somewhat over the top and initially scared the junk out of me until after I arrived and spent my first half day. Keep in mind (open), this is not Sandal's or Couples. It has a great beach, a very friendly staff, a decent buffet that had different food each night that I was there (4) and 3 restaurants, I only visited the Dominican restaurant . . . the buffet was better! The beach here is lovely, the sun bathing area was very large and certainly accomodating for large crowds. Me and my wife walked down each side of our beach for a couple of miles safely and without incident from any natives. The visitors were mostly European, alot of French and German, luckily my wife speaks French. The hotel staff speaks mostly spanish with decent broken English however, they can understand American (my) attempt at broken Spanish, quiet well. The room I stayed in had a great air conditioner (new), 2 queen beds, not the best but this is an all you can drink placek, so suck it up (literally)! The bathroom was ok, it was clean and of note here, our toilet broke (chain from handle to flapper) and I went to front desk to report it. Front desk told me they would fix the problem and I thought, "here is where it will go down hill" and then I went out to get my tan going, returned around 4pm and it was fixed, to my amazement. No other trouble other than that! The room was cleaned every day in the early afternoon while I was tanning, new towels left in bathroom, beds made, two times the floor was mopped. One noticable problem was the insulation b/w rooms, one night a gang of unruly's partied in the room next to us until 3am. I got throught it. Events are kinda tacky, but who cares "open bar dude!" Oh ya, tip those you want good treatment from, a little of money there goes a long way and maybe that is why I had a better time than some of the other reveiwers that stayed here (they likely thought cheap and remained that way through out, so they literally got what they paid for, likely???) This place is again, no Sandals, but certainly worth the money. I would recomend it for the money.

PS: after you check in, the counter will ask you to go to the "time share tables" even though they won't inform you what they are. We did not go, got our bags and asked a bell hop to show us our room and never once dealt with the time share people.

Oh ya, fitness center is crap, not air conditioned, smelly, only one tread mill worked, pretty nasty over all. This is my complaint for the place . . . go run on the beach, it is nice!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 1346, had a great air conditione!
5 Thank roxanneandrob
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2011

First, I am always the one that looks and listens to reviews! I know that there is more truth to them than lies! I gave this one a shot even with the mixed reviews! I traveled with 2 friends that spoke the language, but I only speak English! I would have been so uch more frustrated if they weren't with me! When we arrived, we were told by the rude "lady" behind the desk, that we could NOT check in at the posted time! We were finally allowed to check in at 4:30 after being told that we could go elsewhere! So rude, but we tried to make the best of it!

When we walked into the room, we were so disappointed and overall appalled! The room was so disgusting, it looked as if it were going to collapse, it smelled of mold, and I didn't want to touch anything! There were ants all over the place in the bathroom! We immediately went to the beach to try to change our mood! They were only serving snacks because the restaurant was taking an intermission! The food was decent! That night we ate at one of the restaurants, and it was just so so!

The only fun that we had that day was at the beach and at the casino! The beach was set up kinda nice and the water was perfect! If you wanted to move over to a more quiet section, then you were told that the section was for VIP's and that we couldn't be there! We were never informed about the VIP clause beforehand! The staff was very friendly at the casino, but it was limited on the games and entertainment! Do NOT expect to see anything close to Las Vegas! I could NOT sleep comfortably in my room, so I would wake up early to get first dibs of the little hut about 200 meters away from the resort! It was very relaxing except for the vendors stopping almost every 2 minutes to try to sell something! You have to say NO several times for them to go away, but alot of them were nice!

One other thing, was that they were having a sort of model contest that lasted the whole weekend, with no winner! It was kind of disturbing to see grown men gawking/staring at the girls that were aged between 6 and 18! One elderly man was holding hands and kissing a girl that looked 12-14! Gross! Where were the police and or parents?

Lastly, I would NOT recommend this "resort" to anyone! Pay an extra $100-$200 to go elsewhere! i understand that this region is very poor, but they will be very poor if they don't improve on much needed adjustments and improvements with the staff and rooms!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank LDB2323

Travellers are raving about these Juan Dolio hotels

Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2011

I just returned from a 3 night vacation with 2 of my girlfriends from work. I had read some of the reviews for this hotel and of course their is always positive and negative comments! I figured with the rate we were getting don't expect too much! Boy was I right!
We arrived on day 1 and was told our room was not ready, to come back in about 1 hour. Check in is 3p and this hotel was NOT full! We tried to check in after 1 hour which was past the 3 pm checkin in time and finally after complaining to each other they gave us our room. The girl at the front desk promised it was a great room with a wonderful view. If we wanted to upgrade it would be 35.00 a night more so we said no. We opened the door to our room and were amazed at how the hotel is in "dire" need of a major renovation! The beds were like sleeping on a box spring. I have traveled all over the world and these have to be the worse beds I have ever slept in. The bathroom was no clean either. We never did get anyone to clean our room the entire time. We had an issue with the air conditioner and asked at the front desk for someone to come look but they never showed up. The temperature was not too unbearable so we decided to just bear it. By the time we checked out, ice was forming on the air conditioner! The beach was beautiful and the pool was fine. The guys at the bar were fabulous and friendly. Always trying to please you. There are actually 4 restaurants, but I guess since it must have been low season, only 1 or 2 were open. We ate at the buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner. We were sick of buffet by the time we left. The food was just ok!!! Service in the restaurant was terrible! It seemed like they catered to the Dominican people for sure! They did have a small snack bar which was pretty far away that served burgers and hot dogs. They were just okay! I've had better burgers at home! All in all we had a good time, but it wasn't because of the resort. I personally will never return to this resort. Like I said, I have traveled quite a bit and this was by far one of the worse places I have been.

Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Intern1
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2011

Hi, this is why you have to go and look by yourself to have a good idea. Bad reviews are most of the time just personal considerations. Let's start:

Room: There is a new building outside of the hotel, just front across the street, is the N building, I stayed on room N243 and the pictures I'm posting speak by them self. Two dollars tips to the maid and the room was always clean, HOT water, very strong, huge bed, huge room with very good balcony, TV Dryer, Iron, FAN. NO complains.

Beach: Well I put a picture and you Judge. Is a very nice beach but in DR there are a lot of better. People bugging ? they are there but not bug at all, I wait for two hrs to by a CD but the guy never appear jeje ironic isn't it ? I have to go out to buy the CD.

Bars And Drinks : Too much, I have pictures but this site only allow 10 pics. If you take dollars bills with you will drink so much that you won't want any more drinks for a moth. Presidente Beers, Brugal ron and a lot mixed drink, strong drinks ... be careful. The barternders are very very friendly guys.

Disco: the disco is amazing, Ive been in other hotels and the disco is not that big. Open at 11 and is all inclusive until 3 am. A blast ! see the picture.

Food: The food is very good, taste well, and I found what I like. the bad thing about it is there is not a great diversity of food but you always find salads, soup, fish, rice, beef etc. etc.

Facility : The building look old in the front outside but inside is very clean and well maintained, the staff SPEAK A LOT OF ENGLISH, and Also French. After reading the reviews was a surprise their fluency.

Casino: Is fine, not a big one but you can find what you are looking for. I have picture but this site is just limited to 10.

The Pool. I will say is not that great and needs a better maintenance. At least for me didn't inspire me to get in. But overall is ok, there is fun there and a bar just inside. I have picture but thi site is limited to 10.

Price: I book just the hotel 45 days ago and the price was amazing so

Overall a very good vacation.

Alejandro
Miami
tamangao@gmail.com

Room Tip: Ask for a room on building N
2 Thank Alejandr0_Miami
Kansas City, Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2011

I just returned from a 6 night stay from this resort. The resort is very old and could use major renovations. My room was pretty bad. Beds were very low to the floor, cracks in the walls, ac was old and rusty, smell was moldy and musty, didn't have any water pressure AT ALL in my shower for 2 nights. I got up early 5:30 a.m. to go get coffee and walk the beach every morning. The first monring I went to Mangos. The "chef" Armando, called me to sit at his table with him. The only other people there were cleaning people. Armando spoke no (very little) English and I speak no Spanish. I told him Adios that I was going for my walk. And he reached out his hand as if to shake mine, but he pulled me over to him, put one kiss on my cheek, and instead of a kiss on the other cheek as I kind of expected at that point he grabbed my face and planted one on my lips. I told him to quit, to stop. He did let go of me. But as I walked away he came running after me saying what, I don't know. Being the only female around I was pretty scared at this point as the other male workers were all laughing. So he grabbed me again and this time tried to get his tongue into my mouth. I pushed him as hard as I could and took off running. I made a complaint to the head of the food department later that evening. They asked why I did not tell them earlier. I said that I was kind of afraid to because of it being my first day and I didn't want anything else to happen to ruin my trip. I was a solo traveller. I asked them to not confront Armando until the day I left so as not to have any problems with him. I did not return to Mangos. Other than the room and the problem with Armando, the rest of my trip was ok. The beach is beautiful, but I have also stayed at Viva Wyndham Dominican Beach and everything about that resort was perfect. Much more to do and the beach was one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. The evening shows at Costa Caribe were lame. Basically, after dark, the usual thing to do was to sit around the resort and visit with fellow travellers or use the internet which most people were doing. The resort had two small stores there with not much in either. I do not gamble, so I did not go to the casino, but people I heard talking about it said they would not go back. No night life around the resort that you could walk to or even make a close drive to, so the nights were pretty boring. Mostly I checked e-mail and stuff and would then go down and sit by the beach. Usually I was in bed by 9 or 10. I ate at the Italian restaurant one night. It was pretty good. I ate at the Dominican place another night, is was a little less than ok. Mainly the buffet restaurant served the same stuff morning, noon and evening. The only really good food I had there was omelets made in the morning. All in all it was ok. I would not return though.

Room Tip: Ask for Oceanview
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
#1 of 11 in Juan Dolio
Don Juan Beach Resort
Don Juan Beach Resort
#10 of 18 in Boca Chica

Been to Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!