“Wonderful, low-cost getaway! Beautiful Beach!”

Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Juan Dolio
North Brunswick, New Jersey
“Wonderful, low-cost getaway! Beautiful Beach!”
Reviewed 11 March 2013

When I left for this vacation, I felt very apprehensive due to the horrible reviews on Trip Advisor. Many of these reviews make the place sound like a prison rather than a resort. However, my experience at this hotel was absolutely wonderful and surpassed my expectations! It is important to go with an open mind and realize that this is not a luxury 5-star resort.

Check in:
When I arrived to the nice and breezy, open air lobby I was greeted with smiling faces and a welcome cocktail! The cheap caribbean representative explained everything to us and was very helpful. Our room was ready a little after the promised 3:30 time, but it was fine because we were busy exploring the grounds and the beach.

Room:
I found the room to be clean, refreshing and comfortable. Did not have to switch rooms. Had a nice partial ocean/grounds view from the balcony. Towels were replaced daily and we never experienced a water outage. Sometimes the water was a little slow to come out of the shower head but if you let it run for a minute it comes out stronger. I found the water pressure to be better than expected and we always had hot water. No problems with toilet in our room or phone.

Food:
The food was simple, but tasty and plentiful. I am not too picky and during the day really just wanted a quick meal so that I could return to the pool/beach. At night we had mexican because we liked the menu and there was no wait. The made-to-order tacos are really good and fresh.

Beach:
The beach was breathtakingly beautiful. Calm, clear and shallow water. Clean sand and lots of places to sit during the week. They give you towels which can be replaced every hour if desired. They are not the most luxurious, but if that matters bring your own towels. The vendors were annoying but if you pretend you are sleeping or just say no thank you they go away. The sunsets are surreal.

Bars:
Great tasting tropical drinks. Not the best quality alcohol, but I don't like strong drinks so everything I ordered tasted fine to me. Bartenders friendly and they memorized my drink preference after the first day!

Night time:
I liked the entertainment, very talented dance group and the show theme changes every night. The night club was fun, with great music, but does get packed on the weekends with locals.

Excursion:
Did the quad tour, which was awesome! 2 hour ride through the country side and through local villages and beaches. Gives you a great feel for the surrounding local area. Highly recommended.

I would definitely return to this resort for an easy, cheap getaway to a beautiful place. The beauty of the beach and the grounds, along with the friendly and helpful staff greatly outweighs any of the minor issues we encountered.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
12 Thank islandlvr2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Saint John, Canada
Reviewed 9 March 2013

We went to this 3.5 star resort not expecting too much, We were very pleased when we got there. The rooms were nothing fancy, but clean and comfortable...the food was yummy, and we loved the buffet !! we ate there most of the time, we never had an issue with getting drinking water or towels like we have at other resorts. The staff was very helpful and pleasant and the best part was the beach !! It was AMAZINGLY GORGEOUS !!! The bars were great too...definatly dont water down their rum there :) I am definatly going back here, as soon as possible :) the only "not good" things we experienced here was one day there was a water line break and there was no water...it was during the day and we were on the beach so it really didn't bother us...and then the locals were a nuicance on the beach trying to sell you stuff...we soon learned to pretend we were sleeping when they came by :) I got my hair all braided the 2nd day we were there so that stopped the women coming by to ask if they could sell me braids...oh and don't go on the fishing boat...that was a waste of money...no fish...and all they did was drive back and forth out in the open water...other than that it was a great week and i can't wait to get back..we were there from Feb 22 - Mar 1 2013.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank 71Sonja2013
Georgetown
Reviewed 8 March 2013

We visited the hotel from Feb 25/ march 1st. It was the eight year in a row we have vacationed at Coral Costa Caribe & it is a golf vacation.

When you plan your vacation at this resort you have to keep in mind it is a 3.5 star resort & it is in the Dominican so.... eveything can't be like it would at a 5 star resort. If you go there knowing that you will have a good time. The people are nice, the front desk people do everyting they can the maid sevice is excellent.

The three alcart rest. are good & the buffet is fine.

The beach & ocean & sunsets are beautiful.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank 352Dave
Naugatuck, Connecticut
Reviewed 6 March 2013

This was my 5th trip to all-inclusive.Usually traveling with my wife and daughter.I'm in late 30s.Stayed feb 2013 for 7 nights. I booked hotels in a same price range and read reviews before going carefully,trying to get whatever is on sale.Been to Mexico,Jamaica ,DR. I've read reviews before going and it seemed like regular scope of opinions in this case, you never gonna please all people. So, staying at 3 stars All-Inc in a past I've expected certain standards. More to it, being big fan of care free all inclusive vacs I talked another couple with son into this trip. When we arrived at the hotel I was in shock. I felt like its a bad dream.Of course our rooms wasn't ready,though we were day late because of snow in NY.But that's fine ,happens at the hotels all the time. We went to buffet reustaurant to get something to eat and drink while waiting.
Since I was the one who talked my friends in to this hotel I felt horrible.The scene in buffet was below any standards.It smelled bad, the tablecloth with napkins were dirty and with holes in it. The stains were different shapes and sizes,glasses had white residue .Our ladys asked for wine and were given something you can't call wine. The food was some dry leftover chicken. So we ended up drinking Rum we bought at Duty Free.
I felt like I was tricked and it was some kind of scam. At this point we were thinking about booking another hotel and leaving.Everything around seemd discusting , old and unsanitary.
The things got somewhat better from here. The first 2 rooms our company got was probably the best possible at resort, overlooking ocean and grounds,@ floor. The third one my brother-in- law got had view of garbage and dirty socks on a adjusting roof.But at this point he was too tired to ask for new one.Rooms are old and from time to time our toilets were mulfuncioning, so I had to fix it, No major problems with water and plumbing, but given the age of facility you can expect it.
They trying to keep grounds clean and nice, but everything is very old and it shows anyway.I never saw beach towels that old and thin.
The food : you not gonn a be hungry,if you are not picky eater you will find basic food at breakfast and lunch. It's usualy two main dishes at lunch :pork or beef,fish and some salads, fruit.
Still not good like at other resorts but after first impression we were happy to have this.
Food at al carte was hit and miss. The best was the mexican , and if you don't like you dish you can get excellent tacos there, kudos to the boy making it.The dinners overall were better then we expected .By no means it was very good but it wasn't bad enough to spoil dinner with your friends.
Alcohol: The beer was good.Rest of it local and sometimes questionable, pick your drink,your barmen and stay with it. In our case it was rum and coke.
Service: people are nice, never had problem with room service and towels.
Beach: the best part of hotel, not really crowded if its not a weekend.Locals pushing stuff but its everywere. Shallow, good for kids, but rocky, bring your swimming shoes. Snorkeling is poor, no reefs nearby.
The sports bar is nice to go after dinner to meet people and have drinks,the adjusting Disco is nice, but not a lot of American Popular music playing, most of it local spanish music.

On weekends its filled with local people and on our last day when we wanted to celebrate the end of our vacation with some very nice people from Germany we met there, the sports bar and disco was filled with hundreds of locals (at least it felt like it ).Hotel asked us to pay to get in , it was no place to be in,crowded and unsafe. The locals were all over hotel grounds,We felt very unsafe,I'm not against local people, but if something goes wrong there is no security to fix it.Basically,you don't have to be a guest to walk around hotel grounds, at least on Saturday.

We are easy going people and we still managed to have nice vacation,despite everything that went wrong at this hotel. I'm never going to return there and and would not reccomend it to anyone.I like to save money, but in case like this you gonn be better off spending hundreds more and going to other hotel. I think people who wrote nice reviews about this hotel were paid or it was hotel managment, no other explanation.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Dmitry M
LilibethG_12, GM Assistant at Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 March 2013
Dear Client:

Please receive our warmest regards from Coral Costa Caribe Resort, Spa & Casino.

Our Hotel provides facilities for recreation, relaxation and entertainment, as well for the organization of meetings and conferences. We know accommodation plays a functional role by providing the facilities that make travel convenient and comfortable for the guests that choose our Resort as destination no matter the reason of their trip. Our Hotel therefore ensures that our valued customers are provided the kind of services that will satisfy current clients and motivate new ones.

Coral Costa Caribe Resort provides a number of different services within the comforting and entirely secure environment of our property which are often available for the use of both local clientele and foreigners as in most countries in the wide world. This has never affected the services we provide to guests staying for a longer period and includes the provision of bedroom, food and beverage services in restaurants, bars and banqueting rooms, conference rooms and leisure facilities. The services our Hotel provides are clearly a response to our customers’ expectations. We honestly consider that the vision of success in hospitality industry development can be achieved only by our Hotel providing not only what “You” our valued customers need but exceed your expectations.

We thank you for sharing your recent experience in our Resort and we hope to welcome you again in our property in the near future.

Travellers are raving about these Juan Dolio hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 March 2013

To begin with, the plan offered was to fly from to Toronto to La Romano – in fact the flight was to Punta Cana. This meant that the bus journey was about 2 hours each way instead of one (max) each way. Normally in Canada this would be a non-event, however in Dominican where the rules of the road seems to be the Bravest Prevails over all others and apart from that ‘Might is Right’ is the only consideration. That extra hour each way is really significant.
Now lets deal with the Hotel Complex.
I requested ground floor accommodation and was provided with a 5th floor room, which was ok if the elevator worked all the time, which it did not. It was only after several days another ‘vintage’ resident advised me that there was another elevator in the other building and it was possible to access ours from there. Staff did NOT make this recommendation.
Now let’s consider the ‘tap water’ situation.
The flow of water from the taps was deplorably poor at best. Let me explain. I found it advisable, for example, to soap up an arm them immediately to rinse the soaped arm before advancing to the next and so on, the reason being that the water stopped at times not just momentarily but sometimes for several minutes and once for eighteen hours (that I missed it anyway). That meant for eighteen hours there was not only no tap water but there was no flushing water for the toilet. This was an unpleasant experience and could have been far worse had it not been for the kindness of the chambermaid who provided sufficient water for a single flush.
The air conditioning!
The device provided to cool the room struggled at best and was barely adequate to provide comfortable air temperature. It seemed to catch up at night and fall back during the day. The visual condition and obvious frequency of repair seemed to place it squarely in the category that it had many more hours of operation in its past that in its future.
Peoples feet.
I noted that everyone who walked around in their bare feet – that their feed were filthy. I did not walk in bare feet.
The Bars!
My drink of choice is Gin and Tonic, a fairly common drink which has been available to me in every Country and every Resort I have visited over the past fifty years that I have been permitted to consume alcohol, EXCEPT THIS ONE. I arrived On a Tuesday and was advised that the establishment had no Gin. I complained and brought it to the attention of the bar staff and the Front Desk. ‘Tomorrow’ I was told. Wednesday came and went and the drought continued, finally on Thursday evening they found a part bottle of Saphire Gin that lasted for four drinks and then there was none again.
At this point I was chatting to a vacationer from New Jersey and his girlfriend and we both felt that (Apart from the four shots of Gin) the drinks were abnormally weak (watered down) so we tipped the barman and persuaded him to give us an unopened bottle of Rum which we opened and poured substantial drinks for the three of us, what appeared to be a supervisor seemed to criticize the barman (if tone and body language are all that is available). All three of us headed off to our rooms later appropriately inebriated.
Just after we had poured the Rum I observed the barman from the outside bar nearest the lobby (the loud barman) come behind the counter of the Sports bar with an empty bottle in his hand (it turned out to be a Vodka bottle. I then watched as he poured Brugal 151 into this bottle and then mix a clear liquid from a bottle that had what looked like an aloe plant into that Vodka bottle before departing the Sports bar.
It is worthy of note that at different times I noted that the bars ran out of Whiskey and other times Vodka (although that seemed to be remedied as I describe).
Back to the Gin situation, Finally on Friday a bottle with a label that stated that it contained Gin arrived, although it stated that Gin was within the taste was like no gin I have encountered in the past anywhere.
Food!
Although some recipes would be described as unique overall the food was ok except for Sunday evening. I believe the offending dish may have been the Oysters I can’t be sure. I ate my evening meal at 6.30pm and all was well till about midnight when I felt unwell and at 12.30am I was vomiting violently and continuously and when that subsided, my body disposed of whatever remained in me by other means and this continued throughout Monday. I was concerned regarding a two hour bus journey and four hour plus plane ride on Tuesday. Thankfully a young girl in the Hotel store sold me a couple of pills that paused events long enough to get back to Toronto. Today is Sunday, one full week after my event and I am finally almost back to normal. I might add that I have a robust constitution and it takes a lot to get a reaction like I experienced to occur.
The buildings!
Holes in the thatch and most of the rain gutters have fallen down or are about to. The wood that the gutters should be attached to are frequently missing. A substantial amount of the service equipment appears to be worn out if not entirely broken and not functioning at all.
Overall impression!
Not good. Perhaps a generous 1 star because of the concern expressed by the chambermaid.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank pj m
LilibethG_12, GM Assistant at Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 13 March 2013
Dear Client:

At our Hotel we know our guests expect clean and well-maintained rooms and common areas, whether our customers are in vacations for relaxation or a business travel. We continuously work to keep our clients satisfied of our services, from the very check in to the cleanliness of our rooms and the quality of our food & beverage offer. Therefore it's imperative for our Resort to always live up to the expectations of our guests, ensuring that every area is maintained to the same consistent high standard.

Our Team works tirelessly to procure our valued customers satisfaction. We guarantee our clients are receiving the highest quality service beyond their expectations and the adverse opinions reflected in this site are not objectively demonstrative of our operation.

We thank you for sharing your recent experience in our Resort and we hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Buckhorn, Canada
Reviewed 2 March 2013

This hotel is a 0*. It is old, tired, dirty and in terrible disrepair. Old stained bedsheets, old threadbare towels when available, beat up old furniture in rooms. The 'upgrade' has an oceanview only if you don't mind peering over an alley of trash. There are no barfridges in the entire hotel. First dissapointment; $180.00 wasted on upgrade. The lesser room has same ammenities. Buffet restaurant dirty; cups,saucers,plates,cutlery,napkins,tablecloths etc.all need replacing.Food is good when there but run out quickly. Beach is great,ocean water excellent,but beach vendors ruin it. Pool is not chlorine treated. Cold,milky with a film on oil on surface. Hot tub is worse. Not hot enough, no chemicals, polluted with spilled drinks and cigarette butts. The buildings are unsafe !!! Parts of the roof are blown away, fascia boards and gutters swaying in the wind. 7th floor windows above lobby broken and ready to fall to floor directly below in the lobby. No water at all for 36 hrs and HOT water only twice all week. People sick in rooms with vomiting and diahrea waiting for staff to come with pails of water to clean up. People crying for help in the lobby. I'm contacting the DR Dept. of Tourism, Dept. of Health, and Dept of Safety, Bldg.Depts etc. This place must be shut down before somebody dies !!!! I have not told the whole story !!! It is even worse. They pumped polluted swimming pool water into a cistern that I'm assuming went right into the hotels water system. Do NOT go to this hotel !!!!!

Room Tip: There are NO good rooms when you don't have ANY water for 36 hrs. and HOT water only twice in th...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Guy P
LilibethG_12, GM Assistant at Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 15 March 2013
Dear Client:

The Coral Costa Caribe Resort, Spa & Casino is pleased to extend you our most cordial greetings.

Our Hotel tends towards incorporating customers’ value perceptions into the evaluation of our Resort services to analyze the level of satisfaction toward the services and facilities of our Hotel as perceived from the subjected viewpoint for our dear guests. It is important to point out that the wide spectrum of our Hotel attributes has always been valued for the majority of our customers.

Our property shows the availability of all regular resources and the common facilities for Hospitality Industry accommodations under the all-inclusive concept, such as regular water, constant power supply, marvelous beach, closeness of location to the city center, proper state of general infrastructure and physical appearance, good room service, closeness to airport, variety of satellite TV station, availability of ample parking space, large room space, laundry service, serenity of the neighborhood, availability of bars, entertainment and disco area, variety in cuisine, internet services in room and public areas, availability of swimming pools, fitness center, conference facilities, among other attributes available.

We thank you for sharing your valuable comments of our Resort and we hope to welcome you again in our property in the near future.

Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 1 March 2013

I would advise no one to go to this resort. Rooms weren't ready when we arrived - 1 1/2 hour wait. Ceiling over toilet leaked all week so whenever you used the toilet, you had a small shower as well. One day no hot water, one day no water in entire resort. 4 days no cable-no TV. Food is same every day and tastes the same. Had to accost housekeeping in hallway every day and pay her for towels. One day power continuous off and on. Nolitours rated this a 4 star. No way in hell. A 2.5 at best. Also, the resort was unkempt and quite dirty. Air conditioner made loud bangs all night long.

Room Tip: This resort is old and not maintained. I'm not sure there is a good room.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank debbie b
LilibethG_12, GM Assistant at Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
Dear Client:

Allow us to inform you that our hotel provides an organized and efficient check in to all our customers. Normally our registration time is 3PM but in some occasions and due to the level of occupancy, the rooms could not be ready at that time. Although, on a future visit perhaps you could consider the early check in option, which is a special service not included, that for the low additional cost of U$10.00 adults and U$5.00 kids includes the access to our Bars and Restaurants, as also to our wonderful beach and other services.

On a daily basis our housekeeping staff revises every room and proceeds to change the towels according to the procedure established in our environmental friendly policy, whilst providing clean towels and bed linen is integral to supply a quality service, many guests are happy to have their towels and sheets changed less frequently. There's a sign in each room explaining that washing towels after each use in wasteful of resources and bad for the environment, hence our valued guests are invited and agree to a less frequent change, however anytime that a client request a change of towel this service must be assured for our staff. We consider inappropriate the comment concerning to payment for exchange of this service.

Our hotel supplies cable satellite TV service to each room 24/7, we have never been without this service during 4 days.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Juan Dolio
#6 of 12 in Juan Dolio
Emotions by Hodelpa
Emotions by Hodelpa
#1 of 12 in Juan Dolio

Been to Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!