“A very detailed review”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Juan Dolio
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“A very detailed review”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

This is my 5th all inclusive (3rd time in Dominican), I'm not a pro yet, but am starting to get a good feel for high quality vs bad quality all inclusive resorts.

I will break down my trip to give you a good idea exactly what you should expect.

I'm a pretty easy going guy, for that reason I still had a great time. However, I would have to rank this as the lowest quality resort I have visited.

Check in- we arrived at noon, we were quickly given bracelets to access all the food and booze. We were told to come back at 3pm, when we did, rooms still we're not ready, we were told to come back at 4pm. At 4, the clerk had to make a few phone calls, by 415 we were headed up to our room. Our room was in the midst of being cleaned, so we waited till 445pm till she was done.

Room quality- this is unfortunately the worst part of my review. The room had a thermostat that did not work, we had to manually turn the a/c on and off, we would wake up freezing. Our friends had a working thermostat, however, when the a/c was on it sounded like a jet was in their room. The room was clean.
There are no fridges in the rooms. There was a TV, difficult to figure out, we gave up. No coffee machine. There was fresh towels toilet paper, shampoo and soap daily, and 2 small bottles of water. The maid we had was fantastic! There was a large gap under our front door, geckos would be found on our walls, I didn't mind, but my wife flipped out. She stuffed towels under the door to keep them out. We had occasional cold showers, one morning we had no running water. No toilet paper holder and a broken towel bar.

There were no fitted sheets, only flat sheets. The ceiling in our bathroom had horrible looking water damage. Black mould in corners of bathroom walls.

Right outside our door was a fire alarm, the red type you see everywhere. This was obviously not functioning as the lever was in the pulled down position. There were no visible smoke alarms in the rooms.

Service-the service overall was great, like any resort there are a few miserable ones. A few notable moments were not being waited on one night in the buffet.....literally, no one bringing drinks to the whole section. We were yelled at by a waiter in the Mexican restaurant because one of the ladies in our group was trying to order her main course from the appetizer menu. Front desk clerks were all full of it! They are professional liars, they would tell you what you wanted to hear, but were always incorrect.

If you are flying WESTJET, beware, the rep Julio, never showed up for our 10am meeting. We did not find out our departure details till the day before we left. We were kindly given an orientation by another rep, he advised us that Julio hardly arrives to give orientation. I'll be letting WESTJET know via email.

Internet- they do have free internet at the first bar, this internet is terrible and intermittent. If you are just doing simple tasks, Facebook, email, you should be ok.
There was an option to pay for internet directly in your room. Because I was going to skype with my children often I wanted a good connection, I paid the $60usd for room internet. The connection was intermittent in my room, but when I brought my laptop to my friends room it worked great, they had a router in their room, we did not. I called the front desk on 3 seperate occasions to get someone to help me log in, this is when it was obviously not working for me, all 3 times they said they would come right up to assist, they never showed up once. Irritated, the 3rd time I called, I made him promise they would show up, never did.

Pools/beach- everybody goes to the beach here, the pools are very small, the pool bar was not staffed every time I passed by, guess it makes sense since no one is in the pool
Beach is beautiful, lots of loungers so you don't have to wake up at 6am to throw your towel on seats to reserve them.
No lifeguards seen.
There is a large group of vendors to the right side of the beach. If you want a cheap $20/ 30 minute massage, hair braids, that's the cheapest place. I bought a case of Cuban monte cristo cigars for $30, vendor wanted $75 to start off. The vendors will irritate you though, it doesn't matter if your sleeping or in the middle of a conversation, you will be constantly approached by these vendors. You can expect to be disrupted every 20-30 minutes. If you show the slightest interest in any if their products they won't leave, you may have to look ticked off. They'll leave you alone then. Women cannot go topless on this beach, there are signs posted.

Entertainment- don't waste your time, it's very very low quality.

A la carte restaurants- delicious!! The Mexican and Italian were awesome! You need to make daily reservations at 11am which is great for the late risers. We never had any problems getting what we wanted.

Buffet- same stuff day after day, food was ok, I had better food in Cuba. Breakfast was good, real bacon 1 out of the 7 days,
Lunch and dinner were almost the same, pretty crappy.
There is a little burger, fries and pizza shack on the right side of the beach, this was the best lunch by far. Full of calories, but really really good!

Sick- I was the only one out of our group of 4 to get sick, only lasted 1 evening, mostly upset stomach, not gonna go into detail....yuck!

Guests- I am Canadian, every other trip I have taken in the Caribbean, the resorts are packed with Canadians. This wasn't the case, English speaking guests comprised of about 15-20% of the guests. Most were Russian, German and Spanish speaking guests. If you are a social English speaking animal, this is not the place for you.

GROSS OUT ALERT- the bars at this resort "wash"their own cups right there. I'll tell you how they do this and keep in mind this is the absolute truth. They have a plastic container inside the sink filled with water. When someone returns their cup, that cup gets placed in this container of water, you guessed it, when you order your drink, they get the cups out of the filthy water. All the bars do this!! They don't even try to hide what they are doing. if you are coming here, absolutely take this advice, bring your own cup for bar drinks.

My advice is, if you can afford a few more bucks, you should probably look elsewhere unless you don't easily get bothered by the stuff I just mentioned. I'd be happy to answer any questions if I've left out certain details you'd like to inquire about.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
14 Thank Dan P
Betzaida N, Asistente de Gerencia at Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear Guest:
Thank you very much the feedback of your experience in our hotel.

Please accept our apologies in regard to any situation that may have affected you. We can assure you that we are continuously working toward the improvement of our services and facilities in order to exceed our clients expectations.
Allow us to inform you that it is extremely important for us to maintain and updated of our facilities and areas; no matter if the trip is leisure, business or relaxation. We guarantee our customers the constant renovation of our Hotel rooms and common areas.

We are very concerned about the situations you reported; especially those that reflect maintenance situations, we guarantee you that our staff is at our client’s service all the time to give these matters the proper attention as soon as reported and to take corrective measures to avoid these situations from reoccurring.
We could have seriously appreciate if you reported us these situations while on property with the purpose of taking the proper time any request and help you to have a more enjoyable experience.
We deeply regret that our hotel did not exceed your expectations and our services and facilities were not satisfactory.
We would seriously appreciate if you could give us another opportunity to welcome you in our property to have the occasion of changing the perception you have of our Resort.

Very cordially,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
West Springfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Just returned from a very relaxing week in this hotel. The room, (superior ocean view) while not 5 star standards was more than acceptable. The bed was comfortable, bathroom clean and well supplied with all plumbing working. It had two small balconies, one with simple plastic patio chairs and table and another with a lounge chair. The food was not always perfect, (an effort at lasagna comes to mind), but there was great variety and always something good available.
The bars did not serve top shelf alcohol, and only one brand of draft beer. If that's a concern, you probably want to go elsewhere. The beach was beautiful with more than enough lounges available and the pools were exceptionally well maintained also with plenty of lounges. The only drawback with the beach was a man made reef which created and "ocean pool" effect more or less eliminating waves. As a family resort, this was probably done to make the water more child friendly.
I can't say enough about the staff. The front desk, chambermaids, wait staff, and bartenders were all and always happy, friendly, courteous and attentive.
Bottom line: If you're looking for a 5 star, immaculately clean resort with all the amenities, best to look elsewhere. If you are looking for a great value for your dollar, and are able to overlook less than perfection, then this is a great place to go.

Room Tip: If you have young children or or go to bed early, you may want to avoid the superior ocean view room...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank a_r_paine
Dear Guest:
Thank you for the very complimentary feedback about you recent stays at our resort. It is always nice to know when we have exceeded the expectations of our valued clients.
We appreciate that you have shared your pleasant experience with us and others travelers on Trip Advisor.
We are continuously working hard to improve our services and facilities to meet their expectations.
In addition to sharing these nice comments with us, we are also grateful for you mentioning the departments that helped make your experience here such an outstanding one.
We will be passing your very nice remarks to the members of the management staff, so they can appreciate these flattering comments.
We thank you for having chosen our hotel and will look forward to welcome again in the near future.

London, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

I was here Feb 19-26, 2014. I had a wonderful time. I am not sure what others were expecting; however my room was big, clean, had hot water (Ok maybe that is because I never try taking a shower between 7 -9 am) I had a hair dryer. Was not expecting fridge and coffee maker so not sure why others are complaining about that. The pool was clean, plenty of loungers, swim up bar, what more do some want? LOL

The a la cartes were great. The buffet was a buffet, I don't like any. I did however always find lots to eat. Mornings were the omelette bar, evening pasta bar. I didn't get to try to fresh fruit smoothies bar as the line up was too long.

Room Tip: I was a single female traveler and my room was going to be across the street so I asked if I could c...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Debbie M
Betzaida N, Asistente de Gerencia at Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear Guest:
Thank you for the very complimentary feedback about you recent stays at our resort. It is always nice to know when we have exceeded the expectation of our valued clients.
Although goal is to have all our guest leave the property completely satisfied and with plans to return, again.
We thank you for having chosen our hotel and will look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Warmest regards,
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Stay away!!!!! My husband and I returned from a one week stay at this resort. The drive from the airport took three hours. Check in was quick, but our room was terrible. The room was dirty, there were no clean towels, no hot water, and you have to pay for a safe. The ac also didn't work. Each day the power and water was shut off at least six times, which made a lot of the vacationers upset. The elevators also didn't work in some of the buildings. The food was horrible, we have stayed at 4 star resorts in Punta Cana and this resort was a 1 star in comparison. There was only one English speaking staff member. We called the front desk asking for towels and it took two hours to get them. The pool and beach were dirty. The buffet and a la cart restaurants were awful. There was a limited supply of food and variety. I don't understand how a resort can "run out" of bacon, but it did. And we only ate it one day out of the entire week. We paid $2400 for this trip and regret doing so. This was the worst vacation we have ever been on.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Diana1919
Dear Guest:
Thank you for the time dedicated to share with us the comments concerning your stay here in our property.
Concerning to some situations you have described about the room, please allow us to inform you that we carry out continuous inspections in our rooms with the purpose of accommodating our clients accordingly to their expectations. Our housekeeping staff revises and prepares every room prior to it assignation and confirms all the items and appliances are placed. The room is clean and complete before being occupied by the client.
We would like to offer a sincerely apologies for any inconveniences and situation that you have had during you time with us. We are continuously working hard to improve our services and facilities to exceed the expectations of our valued clients.
We would appreciate if you could give us another opportunity to amend and rectify any situation that could have affected you during your past visit, hopefully we will have the chance to welcome you in our property again in the near future.
Best Regards,

Travellers are raving about these Juan Dolio hotels

Beaumont, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

Stayed here Feb 21-28/14 with spouse and parents. When we arrived, the hotel was full and we were placed in the "loft" rooms- parent's room had a toilet that did not flush, no water in shower, A/C broken and door did not lock. Rooms were dirty and we were told the hotel was full and could not be moved. Got fresh sheets and the next day the Manager Gregory was very helpful in changing our rooms and ensuring we were happy. New rooms were in newer part of hotel but still average. Not very clean but had A/C and running water! Beds are very hard.
Basically if you're going with a good attitude and you're not expecting the best- you will enjoy yourself. Even though we started out on a bad foot- we still had a great trip. You don't spend that much time in your rooms anyway. The food was great- a la carte restaurants were delicious. Bartenders and servers were excellent- especially Jose and Cesar at the pool bar. There were always lounge chairs available on the beach and by the pool.
Also be aware this resort is located in Juan Dolio, and most vacation packages fly you into Punta Cana so it's almost a 2 hr bus ride away. Also most excursions are located closer to Punta Cana so you have a long bus ride to get to these as well.

Tips:
- bring a lock for your suitcase as you have to pay $3 a day for a safe lock (and they don't have enough for all the rooms so it's not a guarantee you even get one)
- tip lots and you will get better service!
- bring travel mugs to keep your drinks cold as their cups are small
- bring some cards or games for evening as the nightly entertainment is below average compared to all resorts we have stayed at

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mrsjeck
Dear Guest:
Thank you very much for sharing the feedback of your experience with us and others travelers on Trip Advisor.
We would like to offer a sincerely apologies for any inconveniences that you have had during the time with us.
In regarding your comments about our rooms, we would like to inform you that we are under a continuous process of improvement to guarantee the satisfaction of our clients. Our housekeeping department revises and prepares every room prior to it assignation and confirms all the items and appliances are placed. The room is clean and complete before being occupied by the client and room’s spaces were designed to offer our clients the comfort that they deserve to receive.
We are grateful for mentioning our friendly staff that helped you to make your experience here more enjoyable and appreciate your kind comments about our great meals and a la carte restaurants.
We just hope have another opportunity to receive you in the future and change the impression that you had in this occasion of our property.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

Do not stay at this hotel! Where to begin. I expect that when you are paying for a 3-1/2 star hotel that some of the basics would be provided. The buffet restaurant food was boring, cold and the quality was poor. The fruit was under ripe and the meat & sometimes the fish was overcooked. The a la carte restaurants were better - Mexican was okay and the Dominican was better.
They did deliver on their desserts and baked goods. There was no hot water for the first couple of days. Constant power surges, elevators were not working - we were on the 6th floor with elderly parents. Two of the staff had to carry my elderly mother up the stairs in a wheelchair - unacceptable. The air conditioners were extremely loud and rooms were old and moldy. The hotel website indicated that there were fridges and coffee makers in each room. Not in any of our rooms and we were there were with six people. The cleaning staff would sometimes remember to leave water or toilet paper. And we tipped. They did not change the towels even when we left them on floor - as is customary when you want a change of towels. The buffet restaurant staff were poorly trained. We were constantly asking them for simple things like napkins, cutlery, salt & pepper, etc. basics that should be available without having to go looking for these items. These are simple things that should be the norm but not in this resort. It did not feel like we were on a vacation resort! I would never go back. I could go on and on and I am a low maintenance traveler. The only positive was that the beach was wonderful, you could walk for miles.

Room Tip: Do not book here.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Lucy G
Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing with us the comments concerning your stay here in Coral Costa Caribe.
We would like to offer a sincerely apologize for any dissatisfaction or inconveniences that you have had in our hotel and that in particular manner you felt uncomfortable. We can assure you that never were our intention to disappoint you in any way.
In regard some situations in the rooms, please allow us to inform you that was an isolated case and does not reflect the conditions of all the rooms in the hotel. Our housekeeping department has high standards of service, working with the best disposition. We work hard every day to ensure that our rooms show the comfort and good conditions that our guests required.
We would have welcome been informed about these inconveniences in order to assist you.
Our hotel offer quality food specially prepared for the diversity of our guests. Also, we provide to our valued customers delicious meals with the splendid and desired seasoning of the Caribbean.
We appreciate your kind comments about our lovely beach and a la carte restaurants.
We just hope have another opportunity to serve you in the future and change the impression that you had in this occasion of our hotel.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

I went to the DR from February 20-27, 2014.
The not so positives.
First the commute from the airport which I had to fly into was far (punta Cana). On the way there it took 3 hrs at least to get to the hotel. Once we got there the hotel is not well maintained. There is a road right out front of the hotel and the hotel isn't very secure as there is no gate and the fence is about 4ft high and consists only of 7 pieces of barbed wire (also the casino and disco locals are permitted, the disco also has a sign outside of it saying no guns permitted). We went with our daughter who is one and our in laws. Our first room had no running water in the shower. It was literally a drip. The room was dirty and run down. The bathroom was disgusting. The room didn't have a coffee maker or fridge, it didn't even have an alarm clock. The room was on the main floor facing the outside of the resort and had a view of propane tanks and hydro wires. We wanted to upgrade just to get another room but we couldn't because there were no others. Our parents room was equally disgusting if not worse. The second day we were moved into a slightly more appealing room. We had a nice ocean view on the 5th floor (the elevators weren't always working either, we saw an elderly lady carried up in a wheelchair by the staff). The bathroom was still gross and I wouldn't take a bath in there if someone paid me. This room had an alarm clock. My parents room didn't have a working air conditioner, had issues with the tv but they had a balcony (we did not) and there bathroom looked like it was remodelled in the 80's which was much better then ours but the hotel is only 17 years old....the food was mediocre at best. The a la Cartes were ok, the Italian was the best of them by far. We didn't have towels in our room most days as they had run out. We saw a maid make up a bed for a new guest with dirty sheets. We saw a staff fold up dirty beach towels as people were returning them and giving them out to other people. They also took our beach towels from our room and you have to pay for the towels if you don't return on check in.

Now for the positives.
The beach is fantastic but there were quite a few topless sunbathers (some ok some not but maybe not the best for kids). The resort has nice views if you have an ocean view. Some rooms are apparently remodelled but I didn't meet anyone who had one (I think the remodelled ones belong to the timeshare on the 6th floor). The staff were amazing especially for what they had to work with. The maids cleaned with left over bottles of shampoo.... The service in the buffet is the best part of the resort. Our regular waiter knew my daughter loved bananas and when the resort no longer had any as they were out of season he brought some from his home for her. The resort is understaffed especially at the bars but tipping will of course help you get quicker service. The gift shops were very over priced but the vendors on the beach were great, the did not harass you if you said no they left you alone. If you wanted to buy items though they will give you a good price. There is a shop that is more reasonable just a couple minute walk away. The entertainment was funny. The resort even though apparently sold out was not busy at all. No fighting for beach chairs even later in the day chairs were always available.
I know this probably makes me sound like a complainer as when I read other reviews before I went I didn't believe them as everyone has their own standards but this is the honest truth and I wouldn't recommend this hotel the way it currently is.

Room Tip: Ocean view and upgrade to the highest possible it may be upgraded. Some rooms are on the opposite si...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank secretid
Dear Guest:
Thank you for the time dedicated to write your feedback about your recent stay at our resort.
We would like to offer a sincerely apologies for any inconveniences and situation that you have had during you time with us and deeply regret that our hotel did not exceed your expectations
In regard some situations in the rooms, please allow us to inform you that was an isolated case and does not reflect the conditions of all the rooms in the hotel. Our housekeeping staff revises and prepares every room prior to it assignation and confirms all the items and appliances are placed. The room is cleaning and complete before being occupied by the client. Our room’s spaces were designed to offer our clients the comfort that they deserve to receive and our housekeeping department constantly offers the best service to ensure that our guests feel comfortable in the room.
Our hotel maintains a continuous improvement program to our facilities and we work hard making innovations and reforms to our property with the purpose of keep in good conditions our installations.
We appreciate your great comments about our lovely beach, friendly staff, and good foods in the buffet.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Juan Dolio
#1 of 12 in Juan Dolio
Don Juan Beach Resort
Don Juan Beach Resort
#9 of 18 in Boca Chica

Been to Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!