“Great Spring Break”

Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Juan Dolio
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I was nervous about choosing this hotel after reading some of the other reviews but we were looking for an inexpensive, all-inclusive spring break trip and this is the resort we found. Sure, the rooms weren't that great but all I really needed was a bed to sleep on and a shower. We never had problems with the heat of the shower or water pressure. Other than that, the resort and the beach were so beautiful! However, what I liked most about this resort was the staff. The staff always remembered us and were always friendly and helpful. The food was great - especially the Italian restaurant they offer. Also, the drinks are very strong but really good. The people at the resort were all extremely friendly as well even though there were often language barriers. Overall, I would go back again and would suggest this resort to others who aren't picky about the room they are staying in and are more interested in the experiences outside of their hotel room.

2  Thank Kenzi K
Betzaida N, Asistente de Gerencia at Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear Guest:
We appreciate that you have shared with us the comments of your past stay. It is always nice to know when we have offered a great time to our valued clients.
We are continuously working hard to improve our facilities with the object to give our guest’s the special attention and the service which characterizes our company.
Our staff strives to offer a friendly and helpful service to our guest’s. Thank you very much for highlighting the valuable performance of our employees and recommending our resort to others travelers.
We will be passing your very nice remarks to the members of the management staff, so they can appreciate these flattering comments.
We thank you for having chosen our hotel and will look forward to welcome again in the near future.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

Manager do not anything when MEN HIT WOMEN because manager was a coward. Food was terrible. Rooms were disgusting. Beds were hard. People weren't friendly. No English channels on television Germans and Russians were very rude and hit us Canadian women and nothing was done about it because they didn't "leave a mark". And then walked around and laughed in our faces the whole time. Customer service from the works very rude. Nobody was helpful.We would ask to see who was our rep or how do we find out when our shuttle was coming, they said book on back wall go look.I was in bed one whole day because of neck and back pain and manager said he just pushed let it go or get your rep to get out of this resort.I have never seen a bathtub that disgusting we wore our shoes in there because of all the soap scum black marks and I was planning on taking pics but after being hit in the chest from a Russian about 6'2 at least 250 in the chest with both hands,knocked the wind out of me and drove me across lobby floor.couple night after that my lady that was traveling with me had a smash across the face from a German man because she told him to keep his hands off her,again nothing done--sick of prostitutes and vendors bothering you every second.Disgusting place over all

2  Thank Lisasue

Dear Guest:
Thank you very much for the time dedicated to share with us the comments concerning your recent stay in our resort.

We would like to offer a sincerely apologies for any inconveniences and situations that you have had during your stay and deeply regret to know that we did not met your expectations.

In regarding your comments about our rooms, we would like to inform you that we are under a continuous process of improvement to guarantee the satisfaction of our clients. Our housekeeping department revises and prepares every room prior the assignment and confirms all the items. The room’s spaces were designed to offer our clients the comfort that they deserve to receive.

We are very concerned about the situations that you have reported; especially because it does not reflect the welcoming and friendly service we provide to our appreciated guests. We guarantee to our client’s their security and help to correct any situations while they are in our property.
We would appreciate if you could give us another opportunity to amend any situation that could have affected you and hopefully we will have the chance to welcome you in our property again in the near future.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

Not sure who would give this hotel positive reviews, but either they work for this hotel and want to get the reviews up, or they have really low standards. I would give this hotel probably a 2 out of 5 review. The beach is beautiful, and the Mexican a la carte was good, but those were the only two positives. Terrible hotel service from both the front desk and buffet. The rooms are old, unsafe and dirty. We didn't have a balcony-good thing I guess because our window didn't properly shut or lock!! The bathroom roof leaked while we were there. We had to call for a "technician" twice to fix the air conditioner in our room as it was constantly leaking, or blowing freezing cold air. The front desk attendants are unfriendly, unprofessional, and very unorganized. Listen, I know this is a 3rd world country, but come on people... Save yourself the disappointment, and stay at another hotel that is happy to have you, and accommodate you. The food at the buffet wasn't that great, and most of the time we were not greeted, and had to seat ourselves. I never get bored of buffet food, but at this particular buffet, I was sick of the food the 2nd day we were there.The night life is active. They have a disco at the hotel which is fun for dancing, and there is a tiny casino across the street from the hotel. The beach is full of almost aggressive vendors repeatedly asking if you want to purchase their items, although we thoroughly enjoyed the man selling fresh fruit out of his wheel barrel. I would not return, nor would I refer this place to anyone I know. Do your homework people!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank 19Aimz83
Betzaida N, Asistente de Gerencia at Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear Guest:
Thank you very much the feedback of your experience in our hotel.

We would like to offer our sincerely apologies for any inconveniences that you have had during your time with us and deeply regret to know that we were not able to exceed your expectations.

In our hotel, we pride ourselves on offering a wide range of high quality food specially prepared for the wide diversity of our guests. We’re sure to offer each of our valued client’s delightful meals with the splendid and desired seasoning of the Caribbean.

We ensure a proficient maintenance service in the entire infrastructure of the Resort. We consider of great importance to keep all our rooms facilities and equipment working adequately since we recognize that maintenance effectiveness can directly affect the quality of the services our hotel provides. Therefore, we work toward ensuring that all our rooms’ show the comfort and spotless conditions our guests require.

We would appreciate if you could give us another opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

I recently traveled to this resort in a group of 9, we were all in our 20's and went just looking for a good time. The resort itself is somewhat rundown and the rooms are not the best, though the room that I had was always clean, had working air conditioning, and the water was always hot and running. Only complaint was our balcony door was not the easiest to open or close but that isn't something that makes or breaks a vacation. The food is what you would expect from a 3 star hotel in the Carribean. You can always find something to fill you up and nobody in our group got sick. The beach is very beautiful and the vendors are there, but will leave you alone if you simply say "no thankyou". The bartenders are great and will really treat you like royalty with the help of a tip and being friendly. I do suggest bringing a travel mug as they literally wash their cups in a bucket of water which is slightly disgusting. The disco is awesome and the 24 hour bar is lots of fun since there is pool tables and it is right next to the disco.
All in all, if youre looking for somewhere to go have a great time on a low budget I would reccommend this resort. Great party place !!! Dont drink too much mamajuana ;)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank yyyup

Dear Guest:
We appreciate that you have shared with us the feedback of recent stay in our hotel and we are happy to know that you and your friends had a great time here.
Also, we are grateful for mentioning the good job and service of our waitress and thank you very much for recommends our hotel to others travelers.
We thank you for having chosen our hotel and will look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 10 March 2014

I've been to resorts in Punta Cana and traveled all over the country and I can say one thing about this place... It's truly Dominican! A lot of people come here and struggle with the slower pace of customer service and the quality of the rooms. However, this place is great! If you take your time to talk to the staff and get to know them you will LOVE them! The best part about this place is it's small compared to many other resorts and you don't feel like you're at a theme park. It's quiet, relaxing, and the beach is stunning. We spent New Years here and they put on a fabulous show! fireworks, a famous salsa singer, fabulous food and drink, dancing all night long, right on the beach! So my advice is, if you like 1000 thread count sheets and high speed wifi, this is not the place for you. But if you're willing to go off the beaten path and get a resort experience like no other, give this place a try!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rlenahan7

Dear Guest:
Thank you very much to write your comments concerning your past stay here in Coral Costa Caribe hotel.

It is for us very great to know that you enjoyed your time and our services, facilities, foods, shows, rooms were satisfactory.

Our main goal is our guest’s leaved the property completely satisfied and with plans to return.

Thanks for having chosen our hotel and will look forward to serving you again in the near future

Best Regards,

Reviewed 9 March 2014

If it was possible to give a zero, I definitely would. We were in the Dominican Republic as part of a medical mission trip, and ended it with what was supposed to be a relaxing 2-days at this "resort." Resort is used very loosely here. This was the worst stay I could have ever imagined, and the last two days of this trip were spent wishing I could get the heck out as soon as possible.

All the problems with our room:
1. The front door didn't close properly and the entry card deactivated every couple of hours if it even went near an ipad or iphone.
2. The bathroom door didn't close at all, and you could basically see the other person doing their business.
3. The shower didn't work. Do you see a theme here?
4. Our sheets had a disgusting yellow stain on it
5. The windows didn't close, and the entire time we were there we basically choked on smoke because smoking is allowed EVERYWHERE, and since the windows didn't close, everything came into our room by the pesky process of diffusion. And if you weren't choking, then the loud music was enough to drive you crazy since they only stopped the music for 2-3 hours from 3-6 AM. At all other times it was loud and blaring, and causing sensorineural hearing loss.
6. The internet didn't work even if you paid for it. And they sold it to one of our roommates knowing it didn't work (but they did end up refunding her money so I guess they're not total pricks- point 10 might prove otherwise though)
7. Our curtains had mold/ mildew (it was all over!)
8. The tv was all static. The provider is "claro," which is ironic because it was anything but that.
9. The AC didn't work. In addition to choking from smoke, you're also very sticky because of how hot it is.
10. The customer service is horrible. The hotel personnel refused to change our room despite all the aforementioned problems.

I honestly counted down the 48 hours I was here, and couldn't wait to get the heck out. It was HORRIBLE, and I wouldn't subject this place on my worse enemy.

Room Tip: Pick another resort.
3  Thank Naila S
Betzaida N, General Manager at Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear Guest:
First of all, we would like to thank you for writing your comments.

We ensure a proficient maintenance service in the entire infrastructure of the Resort, as indeed we consider of great importance to keep all our rooms facilities and equipment working adequately.

Our main interest is to assure our guests’ satisfaction while on property and to be able to correct any situation. It is important to point out that the wide spectrum of our Hotel attributes has always been valued for the majority of our clients.

Allow us to inform you that our Hotel is constantly developing improvements by working towards refurbishing, landscaping and beautifying. We have recently made some renovations in our areas such as Rooms, Disco, Snack bar, etc. Many improvements were also made in our conference rooms, including also our entertainment areas. We consider that these renovations transformed our property to a better hotel in comparison to years before. At our hotel we keep working to update our rooms, restaurants, common areas and all our meeting spaces.

We offer you our apologies if in any particular manner you felt uncomfortable with our facilities and services.

We hope to have the occasion of receiving you in the near future with the intention of improving the impression that you had of our Hotel.

Best regards,

Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

This is my 5th all inclusive (3rd time in Dominican), I'm not a pro yet, but am starting to get a good feel for high quality vs bad quality all inclusive resorts.

I will break down my trip to give you a good idea exactly what you should expect.

I'm a pretty easy going guy, for that reason I still had a great time. However, I would have to rank this as the lowest quality resort I have visited.

Check in- we arrived at noon, we were quickly given bracelets to access all the food and booze. We were told to come back at 3pm, when we did, rooms still we're not ready, we were told to come back at 4pm. At 4, the clerk had to make a few phone calls, by 415 we were headed up to our room. Our room was in the midst of being cleaned, so we waited till 445pm till she was done.

Room quality- this is unfortunately the worst part of my review. The room had a thermostat that did not work, we had to manually turn the a/c on and off, we would wake up freezing. Our friends had a working thermostat, however, when the a/c was on it sounded like a jet was in their room. The room was clean.
There are no fridges in the rooms. There was a TV, difficult to figure out, we gave up. No coffee machine. There was fresh towels toilet paper, shampoo and soap daily, and 2 small bottles of water. The maid we had was fantastic! There was a large gap under our front door, geckos would be found on our walls, I didn't mind, but my wife flipped out. She stuffed towels under the door to keep them out. We had occasional cold showers, one morning we had no running water. No toilet paper holder and a broken towel bar.

There were no fitted sheets, only flat sheets. The ceiling in our bathroom had horrible looking water damage. Black mould in corners of bathroom walls.

Right outside our door was a fire alarm, the red type you see everywhere. This was obviously not functioning as the lever was in the pulled down position. There were no visible smoke alarms in the rooms.

Service-the service overall was great, like any resort there are a few miserable ones. A few notable moments were not being waited on one night in the buffet.....literally, no one bringing drinks to the whole section. We were yelled at by a waiter in the Mexican restaurant because one of the ladies in our group was trying to order her main course from the appetizer menu. Front desk clerks were all full of it! They are professional liars, they would tell you what you wanted to hear, but were always incorrect.

If you are flying WESTJET, beware, the rep Julio, never showed up for our 10am meeting. We did not find out our departure details till the day before we left. We were kindly given an orientation by another rep, he advised us that Julio hardly arrives to give orientation. I'll be letting WESTJET know via email.

Internet- they do have free internet at the first bar, this internet is terrible and intermittent. If you are just doing simple tasks, Facebook, email, you should be ok.
There was an option to pay for internet directly in your room. Because I was going to skype with my children often I wanted a good connection, I paid the $60usd for room internet. The connection was intermittent in my room, but when I brought my laptop to my friends room it worked great, they had a router in their room, we did not. I called the front desk on 3 seperate occasions to get someone to help me log in, this is when it was obviously not working for me, all 3 times they said they would come right up to assist, they never showed up once. Irritated, the 3rd time I called, I made him promise they would show up, never did.

Pools/beach- everybody goes to the beach here, the pools are very small, the pool bar was not staffed every time I passed by, guess it makes sense since no one is in the pool
Beach is beautiful, lots of loungers so you don't have to wake up at 6am to throw your towel on seats to reserve them.
No lifeguards seen.
There is a large group of vendors to the right side of the beach. If you want a cheap $20/ 30 minute massage, hair braids, that's the cheapest place. I bought a case of Cuban monte cristo cigars for $30, vendor wanted $75 to start off. The vendors will irritate you though, it doesn't matter if your sleeping or in the middle of a conversation, you will be constantly approached by these vendors. You can expect to be disrupted every 20-30 minutes. If you show the slightest interest in any if their products they won't leave, you may have to look ticked off. They'll leave you alone then. Women cannot go topless on this beach, there are signs posted.

Entertainment- don't waste your time, it's very very low quality.

A la carte restaurants- delicious!! The Mexican and Italian were awesome! You need to make daily reservations at 11am which is great for the late risers. We never had any problems getting what we wanted.

Buffet- same stuff day after day, food was ok, I had better food in Cuba. Breakfast was good, real bacon 1 out of the 7 days,
Lunch and dinner were almost the same, pretty crappy.
There is a little burger, fries and pizza shack on the right side of the beach, this was the best lunch by far. Full of calories, but really really good!

Sick- I was the only one out of our group of 4 to get sick, only lasted 1 evening, mostly upset stomach, not gonna go into detail....yuck!

Guests- I am Canadian, every other trip I have taken in the Caribbean, the resorts are packed with Canadians. This wasn't the case, English speaking guests comprised of about 15-20% of the guests. Most were Russian, German and Spanish speaking guests. If you are a social English speaking animal, this is not the place for you.

GROSS OUT ALERT- the bars at this resort "wash"their own cups right there. I'll tell you how they do this and keep in mind this is the absolute truth. They have a plastic container inside the sink filled with water. When someone returns their cup, that cup gets placed in this container of water, you guessed it, when you order your drink, they get the cups out of the filthy water. All the bars do this!! They don't even try to hide what they are doing. if you are coming here, absolutely take this advice, bring your own cup for bar drinks.

My advice is, if you can afford a few more bucks, you should probably look elsewhere unless you don't easily get bothered by the stuff I just mentioned. I'd be happy to answer any questions if I've left out certain details you'd like to inquire about.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
14  Thank Dan P
Betzaida N, Asistente de Gerencia at Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear Guest:
Thank you very much the feedback of your experience in our hotel.

Please accept our apologies in regard to any situation that may have affected you. We can assure you that we are continuously working toward the improvement of our services and facilities in order to exceed our clients expectations.
Allow us to inform you that it is extremely important for us to maintain and updated of our facilities and areas; no matter if the trip is leisure, business or relaxation. We guarantee our customers the constant renovation of our Hotel rooms and common areas.

We are very concerned about the situations you reported; especially those that reflect maintenance situations, we guarantee you that our staff is at our client’s service all the time to give these matters the proper attention as soon as reported and to take corrective measures to avoid these situations from reoccurring.
We could have seriously appreciate if you reported us these situations while on property with the purpose of taking the proper time any request and help you to have a more enjoyable experience.
We deeply regret that our hotel did not exceed your expectations and our services and facilities were not satisfactory.
We would seriously appreciate if you could give us another opportunity to welcome you in our property to have the occasion of changing the perception you have of our Resort.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Juan Dolio
#4 of 12 in Juan Dolio
Emotions by Hodelpa
Emotions by Hodelpa
#1 of 12 in Juan Dolio

Been to Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!