“Ok, and safe”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Juan Dolio
Los Angeles, California
“Ok, and safe”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This was my 3rd time there as I have friends who live there, and I do not like to impose. The hotel is NEVER prepared for your arrival and it seems to take at least 1 hour before you are checked in. However, checkout time; your door locks 1 hour before it's time. There are no washrags, just towels and it is more of a 2 star than anything else. There is good security but if you are used to a 5 star experience, this is not it. The food is ok. Late night snacks are meager, so don't plan on them. If you aren't looking for fancy, this may work.

Room Tip: Ask for a beachside room. A little less noise and a little larger.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Betzaida N, Asistente de Gerencia at Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Guest:
Thank you very much for writing reviews of your experience at our hotel and for having chosen our hotel a third time.
Your feedback is very valuable to us as leaders in the hospitality business are constantly using the valuable comments of our guests to continue to improve our service every day.
We just hope to have another occasion to serve again; we reiterate our appreciation for your time and comments.
Very Cordially,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Let me start by saying that i had good expectations when I first arrived however the check in process when we arrived took a little loguer than expected, we were a group and we paid extra to do an early check in it took some time but it wasnt terrible; now we were not going to be given the rooms until later that day on the regular check in time, when they gave us our rooms I finally decided to go put our bags in the room our main room Door wouldn't open, we went down to reception to get our keys redone and still didnt work it was the lock, I had to call 2 or 3 times to get maintenance to come over to try to fix it, he had to come in thru one of the neighbors rooms and open it from the inside, he couldnt fix it so I Requested a room change, maintenance getleman talked on the phone with somebody supposedly someone from reception was comming to get that done for us and we waited and nobody showed up so I decided to to go down to the reception, it has been about an hour since this whole thing started and I am already upset, the reception guy was making this a bigger deal because after explaing him about this whole situation he is telling me that maintenance has to fix it when I already explained to him that maintenance already went there.. Oh! I got mad.. Bottom line he made phone calls and wasted more of my time finally he decided to give me another room without even asking what kind of room so he send me up with another employee to a room in the fourth floor with just one bed when we are two people non related... I am so pist at this point that i dont want another room change, this whole thing consumed 1:30 a 2:00 hrs of my time, im in a bad mood, wanting to leave... There is no service at all!

On top of that when I was having a meal with my friends a random waiter comes to our table while we are eating and having a good time because he saw us joking and in front of my friends asks me if I could stand up from my chair, so i stop eating, stand up because i think is something important and then he says: "could you do the same thig you did seating so he could see me better!!! Really is that the kind of creeps and perverts that work here!! I was completely shocked.. It was VERY DISRESPECTFUL.

I am NEVER bringin my family here and forget about any type of recommendation... And its a shame because this was suposed to be a fun time and the human part of the hotel manage to ruin it!!

Cant wait for tomorrow to leave this place... Hate it!!!

• Stayed May 2014
Betzaida N, Asistente de Gerencia at Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Guest:

First, we would like to offer our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you have had during your stay in our hotel.
We deeply regret the perception and situations that you have had and we can guarantee that our hotel we strive to provide each of our clients a quality service, in addition to ensuring the satisfaction of all guests.
We do not understand the situations you describe us because our staff is characterized by attend all requests or complaints from our guests.
We would have liked the opportunity to receive feedback during your stay in order to improve any situation presented.
I just hope that you reconsider your decision and allow us to serve you again in the future.

Sincerely

Travellers are raving about these Juan Dolio hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We booked the resort through CheapCaribbean.com. We arrived at the main desk at three and they directed us towards a "special" desk. They showed us around a bit and invited us to a VIP breakfast the next day and we accepted. More on that later.

We've been to many hotels before from 5 star to motel 6. The standard rooms at this place fall somewhere closer to motel 6. The rooms are painted sloppily as if by my near-sighted grandmother in a hurry. The bathroom fixtures are rusty. The grout is badly done. The doors all need some sort of repair. The beds are stiff; good only for those with a bad back. The pillows are so old they are virtually useless. Wifi access is extra. Safe in your room is extra.

We are a big family so we had two rooms. One was fine. The other had a broken a/c. Instead of giving us another room they sent a tech to try to fix it. One hour later the tech gave up on it and called the front desk to give us a new room. What a waste of time.

We headed for the pool then decided on the beach instead as the pool was filled with loud drunken men. We found out later every day after about five the pool and bar attached is mostly male looking to score with any young lady stopping by. The sand was very clean. Not too good for those looking to collect seashells but nice nonetheless. Every five minutes you get a local vendor trying to sell his/her wares but you just say no thank you and they leave you alone.

Next stop was the pool. Strangely enough they close both pools everyday at 6:30 for maintenance. Every other hotel Ive been in keeps the pool open much longer and yet seems to have no problem maintaining their pool. Maintenance throughout the entire hotel seems to be an issue as I saw many things in need of a quick fix as I walk the hallways.

Dinner time we ate at the Mexican restaurant which had the standard menu of items you would find in any other Mex place. Taste was so-so.

The next morning found us stiff and sore from the lousy beds but we were looking forward to the VIP breakfast. What a mistake that was. The breakfast was nice but it came along with a timeshare-like hard sell of their vacation club. They showed us two vacation club rooms which were stunning; the way a good hotel room should be. This just made me angrier about the crappy room we got. After an hour and a half of their blah-blah-blah I politely told them I wasn't interested for the umpteenth time and got up and left. Of course they tried to convince me further but I ignored them and walked out the door. This is the only way to deal with these guys who won't take no for an answer. Lesson learned.

Side note: The country depends highly on tourism. Yet at many turns it tries to take more than it should. Admission to the botanical gardens is 70 pesos. With the value of the dollar currently at 41 pesos this translates to about $1.75. Tourists however have to cough up $5 for entrance to the gardens. At the hotel we inquired about the price of a phone call since our local cell ran out of minutes and there was no easy way to refill. We were told it would cost 12 pesos or $1 if using US currency. Not right if you ask me.

Not everything at the resort is bad. Our main complaint was with the uncomfortable room, but the beach is very nice, the restaurants and food are decent enough. The pools are not huge but ample enough because they never got too crowded. We speak fluent Spanish so we never had any problems with the staff. There are some activities and nightly shows, but nothing worth writing home about.

Although my family and I had an o.k. time at Costa Caribe it could have been much, much better. There are some good points, but the bad far outweigh the good; too much to recommend to anyone with a family. If you are a single male with a couple of your buddies who like to drink and hit the beach, this place might be for you. For everyone else, look elsewhere..

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank atoledo5
Dear Guest:
We want to thank you for taking the time to write about your experience during the past vacations in our resort and give us the opportunity to evaluate our performance as a company specialize in the service and hospitality.
Allow us to inform you that we do not underestimate the importance of high standards of cleanliness to the guests. Our purpose is to form positive impressions in our clients from their check-in to their check out. When our guests arrive to their rooms it is important for us that the client perceives this has been adequately prepared and maintained. The Housekeeping management aims to deliver high standards, working with their best disposition, as part of their responsibilities on a daily basis our housekeeping staff revises every room and proceeds to change the towels according to the procedure established in our environmental friendly policy, whilst providing clean towels and bed linen is integral to supply a quality service, many guests are happy to have their towels and sheets changed less frequently to help reduce the environmental impact of our operation.
We would like thank you for mentioning our lovely beach and great food.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the near future.

Very cordially,
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The food is bad.. The rooms are a hot mess.. They are terrible.. The service is so bad.. The night shows are terrible .. It's out side so if it rains u can't be out there.. The breakfast is terrible.. It's really a bad hotel.. There are better hotels in the Dominican replublic..

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Brigiitte C
Dear Guest:
Thank you very much for taking the time to write reviews of their experience.
We deeply regret that our hotel has not been at the level of high expectations and that our services and facilities have not been satisfactory.
We would have liked the opportunity to receive feedback during your stay in order to improve any perception or situation you had during your time with us and assure you a more pleasant stay.
We just want to have another occasion to serve you in the future.
Best regards,
Shediac, Canada
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Overall, if you are not too concerned about amenities and want a cheap vacation, this is the place for you. We went as a large group for a friend's wedding in the Capital. We got a good deal on the nightly price so we were not expecting too much. We lost water several times during the week, which was a bit annoying since you would wake up and not be able to take a shower. But we'd go have breakfast or to the beach and the water would come back on. The main pool was small but there was another pool that was more intimate and a bit further away from the bar and restaurants. The beach was small but right next to the resort. There were a lot of rocks and shells in the water and as you walked along the beach. There was a reef where you could go snorkeling for free but the water was always so rough that you couldn't see much. There were some free watersports, we tried the kayaks but they had forgotten to put the drain cap back in so my husband's kayak filled up with water after a few waves and he capsized. He couldn't get the kayak back upright because of all the water inside of it so he had to swim back to shore, pulling it. They eventually came out with a little boat to get the kayak from him. Service was not extraordinary. The housekeeping was friendly and made sure you got extra bottled water if you left them a tip. The buffet restaurant was ok, not a tremendous choice. The Mexican restaurant was awesome ! The Italian and Dominican restaurants were ok. However, if you are a connoisseur of wine, do not drink the wine served at the Italian restaurant. It tasted like a badly made homemade wine. There's a little snack bar that makes pizza, fries and hamburgers. Excellent food, always a line up but they you get through quickly. The bar staff remember you if you give them a tip and are quick to serve. There were a lot of locals at the resort while we were there. The rooms could stand to be updated. We had no problems at the front desk. A piece of advice, make sure your return transportation to the airport is confirmed, the taxis at the hotel are not reliable.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank NewTraveller03-12
Dear Guest:
We appreciate that you have shared with us the comments concerning your stay here in Coral Costa Caribe
Thank you very much for giving us the opportunity to serve you and we are happy to know that you enjoy our selection and variety of food in our specialty restaurants. We offering a wide range of high quality food specially prepared for the wide diversity of our guests. We’re sure to offer each of our valued customers some delightful meals with the splendid and desired seasoning of the Caribbean.
Your comments are appreciated; because we are using it’s as opportunities to improve.
Our goal is to have all our guest leave the property completely satisfied and with plans to return.
Thanks for having chosen our hotel and will look forward to serving you again in the near future
Best regards,
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

This place was great!! It was the best place in the Dominican republic while Ive been here! It was our first hotel.
Im not gonna go into full detail but just know that they are on dominican time so sometimes you have to wait a few min for service. The people were great and friendly. Drinks ok, food ok. But lots of fun on the premisses . Great pools(2) the beach was ok... Its better in Punta Cana. But we had so much fun. We met lots of nice people from all over the place. No one was stuck up. Everyone wanted to have a great time. Despite the fact that we didnt get our ocean view room that Lina promised us which we did pay for it was ok.. The building that we should have been in had no running water for 3 days the changed our room the first night and it was perfect! Hot water clean room and a working toilet! Thats really all you need. After reading other reviews I knew what to expect! All in all it was a great time and we wanted to return but it was much more expensive when we wanted to book it again. Thanks for everything Costa caribe!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Jbsohigh
Betzaida N, Asistente de Gerencia at Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Guest:
Thank you for the feedback concerning you recent stays at our hotel
It is always nice to know when we have exceeded the expectation of our valued clients.
Although goal is to have our guest leave the property completely satisfied and with plans to return, again.
We appreciate that you have shared your pleasant experience with us and others travelers on Trip Advisor.
We will be passing your very nice remarks to the members of the management staff, so they can appreciate these flattering comments.
We thank you for having chosen our hotel and will look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Warmest regards,
Perth Amboy, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Just got back from coral costa caribe. Dissapointed with the place, the pool is way to small, the food options at the buffet are nothing special. The italian, and dominican restaurants were much better. I would say the whole resort needs a renovation. The alchohol options are horrible, very poor quality. The nightly shows are entertaining but not all that good. Save your money and go elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank bobbygreeneyes
Dear Guest:
Thank you for the time dedicated to share with us the comments concerning your stay here in our property.
We also offer you our sincerely apologies, if in any particular manner you felt uncomfortable with our facilities and services.
In regarding your comments, we would like to inform you that we are under a continuous process of improvement to guarantee the satisfaction of our clients.
We ensure a proficient maintenance service in the entire infrastructure of the resort, as indeed we consider of great importance to keep all our rooms facilities and equipment working adequately.
Our main interest is to assure our guests’ satisfaction while on property and to be able to correct any situation.
We just hope have another opportunity to receive you in the future and change the impression that you had in this occasion of our property.
Best Regards,
#6 of 12 in Juan Dolio
Emotions by Hodelpa
Emotions by Hodelpa
#1 of 12 in Juan Dolio

Been to Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!