“horrible ocean to swim in”

Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Juan Dolio
Toronto, Canada
“horrible ocean to swim in”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

1. Food was good (not picky)
2. Rooms were all right
3. Service was all right (friendly)
4. Beach was overcrowded
5. Ocean is horrible. They have big rocks 100 meters from the beach, and due to those rocks the waves are created! cant enjoy a nice swim, cannot go far for a swim! and water is muddy! not a single fish when snorkelling!
Wouldn't go there again

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Betzaida N, Asistente de Gerencia at Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Guest:
Coral Costa Caribe Hotel, Resort, Spa & Casino family is pleased to extend you a cordial greeting.
Thank you for sharing your comments with us and we are happy to know that our food, rooms, service were great.
Our goal is that our clients have great memories of their stay at our hotel; therefore we deeply regret that the ocean was not their liking. We just hope you can give us another opportunity of serving you again.
Very cordially,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Everything about this resort is okay...I went for Spring Break. So, for us, it was fine especially for the price.

The food/drink wasn't great...the casino was fun, as well as the activities provided by the hotel staff. However, there isn't a lot to do other than what's in the resort so be prepared for lots of time spent in the hotel. The up-side is the beach was AMAZING! Also, the excursions are cheap and a nice alternative.

So, overall, it was nice for a budget getaway.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest:

We would like to express our gratitude for your remarks about your recent stay here in Coral Costa Caribe.
Also we appreciate your comment of our lovely beach with white sand and palm trees.
The majority of our customers are aware that the beach of Juan Dolio is one of the most beautiful tourist attractions in this area.
Our staff works hard every day to provide excellent and attentive service therefore also thank you for mentioning the job done by them.
We thank you for sharing your recent experience in our Resort and we hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Warmest regards,

Travellers are raving about these Juan Dolio hotels

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed May 2014. This place is very run down, needs a major overhall from top to bottom, the room was cleanned to my standards only once, could not open the glass door to the due to missing handle, the ac unit was old noise, the TV was an old black & white (granted didn't care much I wasn't there to watch TV, but I thought that was hillarious. Bedding smelled mouldy, bedspread where old and smelly. Bathroom needed tiles and regrouting. Food was poor quality, only 1 restaurant open daily throughout the week with the exception of the weekend when things seemed to get better. Used the spa for a facial and massage, old sheets and towels again basic maintenance astetic issues but the masseuse was great. I have to give credit to entertainment staff, very animated and creative. Chaise lounges old and torn. Will not return or recomend.

Room Tip: Don't expect much, but the beach was the only up side.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank MariaLV702
Betzaida N, Asistente de Gerencia at Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Guest:
We would like to express our gratitude for sharing with us the comments about the past stay in our hotel.
We want to offer you our sincerely apologies if you did not feel comfortable in the room you were assigned, however we are working hard in the improvement of our hotel with the intention of fulfilling our client’s expectations.

We deeply regret to know that we were not able to provide you with the services and attention that you required.

Thank you for mentioning the good job of our entertainment team.

We hope to have other opportunity of receiving you again in the near future with the intention of improving your perception of our services and hotel.

Best Regards,
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My stay was March 24 - 31.
If I had an option I would give this resort a zero. Absolutely disgusting customer service, room conditions, food, cleanliness (lack of) and waiter service at the restaurant and general attitude from the staff. Only a few people, Gregory (the manager) and Joseph (concierge) were helpful and their English was OK.
 To make this review short, I’ve summed up a few key points, although my experience was just plain horrifying.
 1. Reception wasn’t helpful at all. Their English is so poor you need to spend a lot of time and energy (especially when you are asking to fix endless problems regarding unliveable room condition) to make sure they understand.
 2. Quiet rooms do not exist. Maybe a few in the south building, but if you are already there and want to change it’s impossible.
 3. Very loud, all day long music on the beach.
 4. Everything in the room was broken: balcony door, toilet not functioning, bathtub problems, etc. I didn’t check the TV or air conditioner. I witnessed a lot of people having the same problems with their rooms.
 5. Wi Fi doesn’t work.
 6. Food is tasteless and they often served on dirty dishes, and the cups had a bad smell. Staff was not in the hurry to serve, almost all the time I was getting all the things myself. I encountered several people who had gotten food poisoning, including my friends and I.
 7. Most resort guests during my stay were Russians from Russia. I don’t think they write reviews or complain because alcohol was available and entertainment was going on constantly till 4am. I hardly heard any English being spoken.
 STAY AWAY!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tatiana K
Dear Guest:

Thank you very much to write the feedback about your experience here in Coral Costa Caribe.

We would like to inform you that in our hotel offering high quality food specially prepared for our diversity guests and our restaurants menus offer a mix quality cuisine national and international.

Our housekeeping department works with the best disposition and responsibility and our staff revise and change the towels and bed linen according to the procedure established in our environmental friendly policy.

We ensure a proficient maintenance service in the entire infrastructure of the resort and consider important to keep all our rooms’ facilities and equipment working adequate. We work ensuring that all our rooms’ show the comfort and spotless conditions that our guests require.

In reference to the remark made about the food poisoning, we can assure you that we have a strict program of food quality and hygiene and it is supported by the Crystal America that includes monthly audits.

Finally we would like to emphasize you that our employees have good knowledge of English and we are constantly offering courses to all our staff to reinforce the level of conversation, especially to the staff that is in direct contact with the customer. Please be reminded that Spanish is our mother language and the pronunciation of a foreign language might not be perfect.

We hope to have other opportunity to serve you in the near future.

Cheronnac, France
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My partner and I have just returned from 2 weeks in the worst hotel we have ever stayed in in the Carribean, we have been to Cuba 5 times and Dominican once before, we wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. I totally agree with all the other reviewers of this hotel, just wish we had read before we booked. On arrival to the hotel- Saturday afternoon -after 13 hours travelling, we were told we didn't have a booking, it had been cancelled! The only way we could stay there was to pay another £280 for 2 nights, (on top of the £1950 we paid initially for the holiday), which we would get back on the Monday if they could get to the bottom of this. We were taken to an ok room! the curtains didn't open but it was clean. We didn't unpack because we didn't know if we were going to be sent home on the Monday. So we had 48 hours of not knowing what was going to happen. On Monday lunch time-so not even first thing- we were told that it had been a mix up, and another couples holiday had been cancelled because they hadn't paid, my partner had his money returned to him, thrown over the counter, with no word of an apology, they said it wasn't their fault!! The staff who work around the hotel in the green shirts were great for the most part! but the staff in the reception were terrible, very rude and totally unhelpful! After a week I went to our room to get some stuff, and we were on the 5th floor, when I came out of our room the lift wasn't working, again, was out of order more than it worked, so I decided to walk down, when I got to the 4th floor, the floor was wet as they were cleaning the stairs, i slipped down the flight of stairs, badly bruised and cut my elbow and my bottom, didn't bother reporting it as knew I wouldn't get anywhere, there were signs up saying wet floor, but nobody there, and there were puddles on the stairs. On the Thursday before we left on the Saturday, I gave the "manageress" a copy of this report and said it was going to be on Tripadvisor, she just said Oh and that was it, no apology was ever made the whole time. I have noticed on other peoples reports they have had replies from the hotel saying that if the matter had been brought up to them whilst they were still in the hotel something could have been done, well they had the perfect opportunity to try and make ammends with us and didn't bother. The Customer Relations in this hotel are awful. The one thing I will say to all the other guests who have had bad experiences here, at least they only had to stay a week we had 2. The only good thing about the hotel was the beach, but that is to be expected over there.
Another big negative was that from Friday lunchtime, to Sunday evening, the hotel is over run by Dominican holiday makers who take over the place, you can't get near the snack bar, you have to queue ages for meals, and then on the Mondays after they leave, you still can't get anything in the snack bar as they have nothing left until they can re stock on the Tuesday, so then you can get something Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and that is it.
Also the pedlars on the beach are annoying, coming around every 5 minutes trying to get you to buy their goods, which was annoying in itself, but then they started asking us to get them food from the snack bar as they were hungry.
All in all I would say, there are lots more hotels in this area that looked much nicer than this one. I wouldn't stay here again if we were offered a free week!

Room Tip: we were on the 5th floor at the back, which was quiet, but if you are not very fit be prepared to be...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Betzaida N, General Manager at Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Guest:
First of all, we would like to offer our sincere apologies for any inconvenience or dissatisfaction you had during your stay at our hotel.
We deeply regret that our hotel has not exceeded your high expectations and that our services and facilities have not been satisfactory.
Also, we ask that you accept our apologies if some manner you felt that our reception staff did not offer you the friendly attention and personal service you deserve and expecting.
We would like to emphasize that our personal are constantly training in the treatment and guest service.
Actually, we would have liked to have the opportunity to hear your comments during your stay and have done their best to make you stay here more enjoyable.
We reiterate our apologies and would like to have another occasion to serve you and correct the perception that you have to our hotel.
Very cordially,
Killeen, Texas
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I was a bit skeptical about this hotel because I have never stayed there before, but I have to say that it surpassed my expectations. The personalized attention of my wedding planner Mrs. Mildred Hernandez were above and beyond what I had anticipated. She was always available to answer my many, many questions regarding the wedding set up, legal documents we needed and extra amenities I wanted to have as part of our special day. Her calmed demeanor and disposition to go the extra mile to make this day a memorable one for us and our guests was exceptional. I can't wait to celebrate our anniversary and visiting there again. I was a wonderful experience for us and our guests.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Siria D
Dear Guest:
Thank you for the very complimentary feedback about you recent stays at our resort. It is always nice to know when we have exceeded the expectation of our valued clients.
We appreciate that you have shared your pleasant experience with us and others travelers on Trip Advisor.
We are also grateful for you mentioning our friendly staff that helped you to make your experience here more memorable, especially our Banquet Manager.
Our main goal is to have all our guest leave the property completely satisfied and with plans to return, again. We will be passing your very nice remarks to the members of the management staff, so they can appreciate these flattering comments.
We thank you for having chosen our hotel and will look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Warmest regards,
canada
Reviewed 1 June 2014

May 2014. The property is really overdue for maintenance. The elevators work but they are old, dented and scratched up. The bathroom fixtures look to be 20 years old. Our sink was leaking puddles in the floor and we had no hot water. The leak was fixed when we went to the desk and we had hot water for one day. We moved rooms the next day due a noisy neighbour. The second room had been recently painted. The tiles and bathroom were newer. Sadly no hot water. Also the room had no fridge. It took 3 calls and a visit to the front desk to get one brought up. The rooms only have 2 outlets. Since the fridge and tv use one of them that leaves only one other for charging devices. The TV is old and small. The air conditioning in both rooms was incredibly loud. That was actually a plus in terms of drowning out neighbours and the evening poolside parties. Maid service was acceptable but they sometimes forgot to replenish soap etc. On the plus side. The staff was quite pleasant. The buffet selection of 6 main dishes and 4 fruits is tasty. The beach is very nice and there are lots of chairs and trees. We paid $1200 for the week. Based in what I have heard about other resorts in the area we overpaid. Even if that was the going rate it doesn't seem worth it. I have travelled to other resorts in the region. This was by far the most run down. Would not stay here again. As I mentioned the staff was competent enough but the hotel owners need to update this place in a big way.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kaidoi
Dear Guest:
We would like to thank you for sharing the review of your past visit in our property.
Allow us to inform you that we impressively value the importance of maintaining updated our facilities and areas for our guests. Our hotel reassures our customers the constant renovation of our rooms and common areas, as we also guarantee that our maintenance department provides an adequate service, attending any request on a timely manner.
Also, our hotel is constantly developing improvements and working with refurbishing, landscaping and beautifying. We have recently made some renovations in our areas. We consider that these renovations transformed our property to a better hotel in comparison to years before and we keep working to update our rooms, restaurants, common areas and all our meeting spaces.

We offer you our apologies for any dissatisfaction and if you felt uncomfortable during the stay here. We can assure you that it is not their intention to cause you any discomfort.

The services our Hotel provides are clearly a response to our customers’ expectations. We honestly consider that the vision of success in hospitality industry development can be achieved only by our Hotel providing not only what “You” our valued customers need but exceeding your expectations.

We hope that you will allow us another opportunity to change the impression you have taken of our resort and provide us the occasion to amend and rectify any experience that may have affected you while vacationing with us.

Best regards,
#1 of 12 in Juan Dolio
Don Juan Beach Resort
Don Juan Beach Resort
#7 of 18 in Boca Chica

Been to Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!