“Bad hotel, bad service, nightmare room experience”

Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Juan Dolio
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I am a frequent traveler to the DR, as I worked and lived there for a few years. I also had worked in the area of Juan Dolio, when it was a good place to travel with decent hotels. Well it has certainly changed a lot. The beaches of Juan Dolio are nice, it is close to the city so I could travel to Santo-Domingo, etc.. This hotel is extremely in a bad shape, not well cared for, I had a good view, but the AC did not work properly, it was noisy, covered with real ice when they removed the cover. The ceiling in the bathroom was always leaking, I even had a real rain shower right above the sink. I took the 2 weeks vacation I had to always solve this or that. Upon my return I send a claim with pictures showing the proof of what had happened and the hotel answered back, that they did not have any records at all. Their Public Relations personal is very incompetent, unpleasant like they say in DR (no sirben para nada). I never, with the years visiting and working in that country have seen such horrrrrrrible service. this hotel does not even deserve a star. Imagine the hotel management has offered me a one night stay for free as for the Air Transat Vacations, they did not offer anything at all!!!!

Room Tip: would not recommend nothing at all, too bad the beach was so nice, the only good think about this h...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Nora M
Betzaida N, Asistente de Gerencia at Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Guest:

We would like to offer a sincerely apologies for any dissatisfaction that you have had during the time with us.
Our main goal is to have all our guest leave the property completely satisfied and with plans to return.
We deeply regret the perception and situations that you have had and we can guarantee that our hotel we strive to provide each of our clients a quality service, in addition to ensuring the satisfaction to our guests.
We do not understand the situations you describe us because our staff is characterized by attend all requests or complaints from our clients.
We would have liked the opportunity to receive your feedback during the stay in order to improve any situations.
We, also regret that our compensation was not satisfactory.
I just hope that you reconsider your decision and allow us to serve you again in the future.

Very cordially,

Write a ReviewReviews (2,237)

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We came to costa carribe on 27'th of june stayed there for 14 days. I wouldn't recommend this place for familys with children. We've been told by our travel agent it is 4 star Hotel in my opinnion it deserves maximum 3 stars. Our in check ime wan't really great lady wasn't very friendly and her english knowlege wan't very good. First room that we got was terrible ( 1524) airco didn't work, everything was so old and dirty, after complain and lot's of troubles with it after 2 days we moved into new room in another side of the building ( S217) room was much better, housekeeping was good but not fantastic ( they didn't change our bed thru out all stay, towels were changed every 2 days). Food was ok but during weekennd if u came late there wasn't much left. 3 restaurants were never open all in the same time, during my 14 days stay Domincan was opened only 3 times. i was told by my travel agent it's perfect place for children, which wan't rue what so ever. Children corner is nothing they shouldn't even call it like that. No entartiments for children what so ever during the day for adults only aqua aerobic and 1 game. Evening entertaiment were nice can't say anything wrong about them. Main swimming pool for the first 3 days was good later on water was so dirty that u can't emagine. Pool bar (inside pool) was opened only for the first 2 days of my stay. beach was ok, not very big range to swim but ok. Sales people on the beach the most annoying people i've ever seen didn't take no for an answer. If u didn't buy staff from them they were coming back every 5 minutes making sure u didn't change ur mind and putting staff inside my childs hands so that she liked something and screaming for it to buy. if u bought something they were back at least 3 times a day more to check if u don't want to buy more. I bought 1 hour massage on the beach after 30 minutes lady said ur time is up 1 hour have passed, after i showed her my stopwatch she did massage me for 15 minjutes more. Bars out of cups at least 3 times a day. I wouldn't come back there ever again, but if u are travelling without children and looking for cheap stay this place is ok.

Room Tip: pick new side of hotel. I was satying in room S217. This room compering to my first room in main bui...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Karolina A
Betzaida N, General Manager at Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Guest:
Thank you very much for sharing the comments of your experience with us and others travelers on Trip Advisor.

We would like to offer a sincerely apologies for any inconveniences and dissatisfaction that you have had during the time with us and deeply regret to know that we were not able to exceed your expectations.

We are continuously working hard to improve our services and facilities to exceed the expectations of our valued clients.
Also, we would like to inform you that offer high quality food specially prepared for the diversity of our guests and our restaurants menus offer a mix of cuisine popular national and international.
Our staffs have good knowledge of the English language and others languages and constantly receiving courses to reinforce the level of conversation and pronunciation.

We are very concerned about the situations that you have reported; especially because it does not reflect the welcoming and friendly service we provide to our appreciated guests. We guarantee to our client’s their security and help to correct any situations while they are in our property.
We would appreciate if you could give us another opportunity to amend any situation that could have affected you and hopefully we will have the chance to welcome you in our property again in the near future.

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

First problem. We checked in today with our three children and could not get rooms next to each other, even though our travel agent mailed a request for this in advance. We have got two rooms far from each other:-( This is very dissapointing.
Second problem. Door knob is missing in one of the rooms, so we can not close the door. We complained right away but nothing has happened so far. The time now is 21:43 and we are really tired after a long day of travelling, but can not go to sleep before the door can be closed from inside. We complained second time at about 20:30, and was promised that the the problem would be solved within 15 minutes!! We wonder if we will get any sleep tonight?
Third problem. Tiles on the floor are not horisontal and the door is hanging, so it is really hard work to close the door.

This is only the first night out of 14. We hope it will not continue like this. We will update our review after a few days.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Cobraleif
Betzaida N, Asistente de Gerencia at Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Guest:
Thank you very much for sharing the comments of your stay in our hotel.
With all sincerity, we regret the inconveniences you had since coming to our facility.
We would like to inform you that our hotel will always do our best to fill all our guests' requests, but these are subject to availability.
Also, we want to emphasize that our department Housekeeping and Maintenance continually review our rooms and we ensure that it are in optimal conditions of operation and cleaning.
We only hope that you will allow us another opportunity to serve you in the future.
Warmest regards,

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I stay out here with my family because every five star resorts were completely full so I though I'll give it a shot even if it was rank a 3 star due to the fact that I stay here before as a child.when I first arrived there, some lady behind the counter told us it was fill. Her manager over heard her an said she was lying so we stayed in line an ended up getting 2 rooms. When had room s403 & S414. Original we had S412 which is out of service an had no door handle so we when down an complained. The bed cover looked cleaned from above but was terrible dirty from the bottom, looked at like poop on the sheets. The people cleaning the room the next day completely skipped us so we had to go ask for more towels an toilet paper an everything else that was missing. On top of that there food was horrible, worst thing I have ever eaten. The last day of my stay I had to starve myself so I won't have to eat there food or drink there drinks. From someone who use to love this place I wouldn't recommend it to no one. It's so bad they were promoting another resort inside that resort. An if you have kids don't go for sure because they treat your kids as if they were a no body. My little brother wanted some chocolate milk so the guy behind the counter disconnected the whole machine. So from this professional Youtuber point of view I wouldn't even send my worst enemy here.
Youtube.com/OfficialArroyo

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Joshua A
Betzaida N, General Manager at Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Guest:
We deeply regret that our hotel has not met your expectations and that our services have not been completely satisfactory.
In our hotel we strive to provide excellent quality service and guarantee the satisfaction of our guests.
We have a good t and varied menu in our buffet and menu selected in our a la carte restaurants.
Our housekeeping staff works continuously at cleaning and comfort of our rooms and all our public areas.
We would like to have the opportunity to serve you again with the intention to change and improve the perception you have of our hotel.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

This place is horrible. Sliding door wouldn't close all the way, the food was horrible! Service was just as bad. Finally got to the beach only to be hounded by one vender after the next. Tell them no and they just keep harassing you. Finally I would just close my eyes and act like I was asleep. We checked out the next day. Would never ever ever ever ever go back to this dump!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Edward D
Betzaida N, Asistente de Gerencia at Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear Guest:

We would like to offer a sincerely apologies for any inconveniences that you have had during the stay with us.

We deeply regret to know that we were not able to provide you with the services and attention that you required.

We hope to have other opportunity of receiving you again in the near future with the intention of improving your perception of our services and hotel.

Best regards,

Reviewed 22 June 2014

My fella and I had decided to visit Dominican Rep.,our so dreamed vacation had become a nightmare!We're due to go Punta Cana,Bavaro beaches resorts,unfortunately couldn't find a affordable last minute deal,so we picked Costa Coral Caribe as 4* Hotel,such a mistake!Got really desperate soon as I booked it and saw the rewiews,too late to change we decided to give it a go.Bad mistake ever!!The Hotel is a 2* maximum,being generous!First desapointment was our check in,the young skinny girl and long black hair in reception treat us like she was making us a favor.Horrible service ever!the girl working on reception just treated us as she was doing us a big favor,very rude!Couldnt find us on system and almost affirmed that we're not due to stay.Soon as we got in our damp smelling room,tired after a 10 hrs trip to get there,went to used the rest room toilet seat was so dirty like someone had step on it to use it,disgusting!Went to reception complained about it,came 2/5 hrs later and it was in same situation,only got it sorted after a complete freak out!Service overall,no one bother in speak English,not helpfull at All!Room service not just very basic but everything stink,from pillows to sheets absolutely horrible!be aware if you want a Safe you will have to pay extra $3,75 dollars a day!Enterteinment is same thing every day not much to see at all!The beach is nice but the sellers won't leave you alone until u purchase some they'll keep coming 10times a day!Almost forgot,the Hotel is runned by local Dominican people,over crowded weekends,we've been told there's some sort of company membership that send theyr employees for a family weekend,so there's pretty much people every inch of the hotel and most of them very disrespectfully,overtaking others in snack queue and the staff just see it but doesn't bother to say a word!Theres so much more to say,but to cut the long story short stay away from this Hotel,if you are a hard worker like my husband and I and want to spend a good stress free vacation go to a better resort.We booked for a 14 nights at the hotel and did end up spending another 440 dollars to stay the last 3 nights in Bavaro.We've should do e it at first place,thought learnt from our own mistakes.Dont waste your time going to that hotel,we have paid too much for that place,a place that no one cares about theyr own customer,the results of it is so visible that you won't see much foreigners there but local ones only!Make yourselves a favor staying away from that damp place!

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Lisquizzato
Betzaida N, Asistente de Gerencia at Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Guest:
We would like to offer our sincerely apologies if you felt that was not attended properly by our front desk staff. We can assure that our personal are constantly training in customer service with the intention of providing our clients with efficient and excellent service. Also, our staffs have good knowledge of English and they receive courses to improve level of conversation.
We deeply regret if you are not felt comfortable in the room assigned. We are working hard to improve our facilities and services with the constant renovation of the hotel, rooms and common area. Besides, we guarantee that our maintenance department provides an adequate service attending all requests of our clients.

Also, we offer our apologies if you felt uncomfortable with the salesman on the beach. Their intention is not to cause any discomfort to our clients. They offer souvenirs if you are not interesting only say no thank you.

In our hotel we receive local and foreign clients and offer the same excellent service.
We thank you for choosing our resort in this occasion and we, again offer our apologies did not exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

1. Food was good (not picky)
2. Rooms were all right
3. Service was all right (friendly)
4. Beach was overcrowded
5. Ocean is horrible. They have big rocks 100 meters from the beach, and due to those rocks the waves are created! cant enjoy a nice swim, cannot go far for a swim! and water is muddy! not a single fish when snorkelling!
Wouldn't go there again

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Betzaida N, Asistente de Gerencia at Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Guest:
Coral Costa Caribe Hotel, Resort, Spa & Casino family is pleased to extend you a cordial greeting.
Thank you for sharing your comments with us and we are happy to know that our food, rooms, service were great.
Our goal is that our clients have great memories of their stay at our hotel; therefore we deeply regret that the ocean was not their liking. We just hope you can give us another opportunity of serving you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Juan Dolio
#4 of 12 in Juan Dolio
NEPTUNO'S REFUGIO
NEPTUNO'S REFUGIO
#8 of 19 in Boca Chica

Been to Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!