My husband and I went for a wedding of a couple friends. The bride & groom chose the resort. They also chose our flight - we flew into Punta Cana Airport (poor choice because it's a 3 hour transfer from airport to the resort, so if you go make sure to fly into Santo Domingo, which is only about a 1/2 hr away).
Service was excellent - no complaints there. Staff was very friendly and helpful, especially the bartenders at the swim-up bar. Nightly entertainment was good.
Clean rooms, common areas and restaurants - no complaints about cleanliness. However, several members of our group complained about mould in their rooms. They requested different rooms and were accommodated. Most of us had some kind of problem or other with our toilets - some overflowed and others just didn't flush properly (usually requiring several flushes). Signs in all the washrooms instructed guests not to flush any toilet paper whatsoever down the toilets, but to dispose of it in adjacent waste baskets.
We "upgraded" to a "superior" garden-view room. There wasn't anything superior about it, that's for sure. As for the garden-view, it would have been more accurately described as "parking-lot" view. Also, strangely, this resort is dissected by a public road with about 1/2 of the resort on one side and the remaining 1/2 or so on the other. For us, this meant crossing the road to get back to our room from the beach, pool, buffet, etc... Not really a big deal, except for the prostitutes and drug dealers hanging out on the road. They were always careful not to venture onto resort property, but had free rein of the road. The size of our room was decent, and we had a small balcony (overlooking the parking lot). The bed was small - size of a full/double bed. Plenty of storage cabinets, t.v., small couch, table and chairs. We had a good sized in-room safe (big enough for a laptop, plus our other valuables), but safe size varies from room to room. Our in-room air conditioner made the room way too cold and it was very noisy. We ended up shutting it off so we could sleep, which of course, meant a hot, humid room, so we really couldn't win there.
Restaurants - food was good, but not great. I particularly enjoyed the Tex-Mex Restaurant. It wasn't very busy when we went, so we didn't have to make reservations for the A la carte restaurants, which was nice. Buffet was okay - nothing stellar, but no huge complaints either. Greater overall variety and more fresh fruit selection would have been nice. Snack bar was always open, but mostly just had lettuce salad, (made from frozen) pizza, french fries and hot dogs or burgers.
I don't think there was a kid's club at the resort, so its definitely not a place I'd bring my children to. Best for couples or singles.
The beach was okay (clean, plenty of beach chairs, etc...) - it reminded me of Wasaga Beach (Ontario, Canada). If you're going to the Dominican Republic for its beaches, Punta Cana is the place to go, not this southern part of the island.
Wedding - the resort staff prepared a very nice set-up for a Caribbean beach wedding. It really was beautiful and tasteful. Not only did they set up an area for the actual ceremony, they put up a private bar, dinner table and outdoor dance floor for the wedding party and guests.
Overall, we had a good trip, with a good bunch of people, but I wouldn't go back to this particular resort. I would say it was average, but it is only classified as a 2 or 3 star resort, so what can you expect? If you're on a budget and can get yourself a good deal then you'll have a good vacation. I don't think it was worth what we paid for it ($2,600 with flight from Toronto).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Overlooking the warm ocean waters of the Caribbean, enjoy a limitless family-oriented vacation experience. There are fun-filled activities under the sun for all. Our activities program includes water sports and one of the best white sand and boundless turquoise water beaches. Savor an outburst of flavors with a signature Caribbean flavor. These are just some of the ways in which you will keep busy during your stay at Coral Costa Caribe. The warmth of our staff is best expressed by the careful attention given to every small detail. Cradle yourself in the midst of its lush vegetation covered by impeccable tropical gardens surrounded by tropical flowers and trees. Seek refuge in one of our comfortable guest rooms; the heart and soul of the destination is embodied in its decor. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Coral Costa Caribe Hotel Juan Dolio
- Coral Costa Caribe Resort, Spa And Casino
- Hilton International Juan Dolio
- Costa Caribe Coral Hilton
- Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa Dominican Republic/Juan Dolio