“Simple, peaceful, romantic hotel”

Playa Esmeralda Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Juan Dolio
Reviewed 7 September 2012

I chose this hotel to spend a night with my boyfriend because it is close to the capital (Santo Domingo). We wanted to go to the beach and we hadn't got much time. Then, my boyfriend decided to give me a surprise by organizing a private dinner at the beach and we got engaged in a very romantic sightseeing. The staff of the hotel was very kind, they prepared a beautiful table and an excellent diner, and they made everything for us to have an unforgettable evening. Special thanks to Rosa and Hector for their help and attentions. We would recommend this resort for couples that are looking for a simple, quiet, peaceful and beautiful place to spend one or two nights out of the noisy rhythm of city life.

Room Tip: Prefer 2nd and 3rd floor rather than the first...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chin0la

Reviewed 6 September 2012

Initial impression was not good. I was told there was a 6% charge for payment with a credit card. Fortunately I had enough pesos with me instead of using credit card. There was no welcome drink or Coca Cola in refrigerator on first day. I had to plug refrigerator in myself. Air conditioner could not be regulated so it was extremely cold and uncomfortable sleeping. The icing on the cake was that I contracted scabies and other bug bites at the hotel. I am still dealing with deal itchiness and sleeplessness even after 2 treatments for scabies.
Dominican Republic is a favorite place of mine and I have been there 15 times. Each trip was more than wonderful. This trip was far from wonderful to say the least.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Patricia G
Reviewed 2 May 2012

We stayed at this resort for 12 days (we were a group of 8) and in my opinion it is a gem. The service in the buffet, housekeeping and front desk was prompt and always professional. All needs were met in a timely fashion and everyone was more than happy to accomodate our requests for extra towels etc. The food was very good, always tastey and an abundant supply.
The grounds are well kept and the pool and beach are kept clean. I would stay here again and would not hesitate to recommend this resort to others who wish a relaxing, peaceful place to holiday.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank NANCY D
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I made my reservation for this place togo with my boyfriend and since i arrived, i tell him "Im not going to stay here". Fisrt of all, there was not Parking available for more than 10 cars... but its ok. We entered into the lobby and the guy in reception is the WORST customer service i've seen in my life. He told us we have to pay a recharge of 15 dollars each one for early check in, and it was only 40 minuts before the check in time. I asked him to talk to his supervisor and he said NO, there was no supervisor, there was no one who could helped us. Other 3 couple arrived and he gave the same treatment. He was totally hostil. I decided to get into the hotel to see the place and decide if it worth it to pay the diference and i can say this place is anything else but a resort... it looks cheap, dirty, abandoned, disorganized and alone. I decided to leave from the hotel, and i told the guy in the reception and he said "Do whatever you want". I stayed in shock for a few minuts but decided to leave. I went back to "Don Juan, Bocachica" and spent a really awesome weekend for the same price. I really couldnt belive that this hotel SO BAD have a so prepotent guy as first Face. If they want to stay in market,they better do something FAST. PS: The other 3 couples also went to other places.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Marlina2111
Rosa S, Gerente at Playa Esmeralda Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

Apology for the inconvenience, we are working to improve our services each more.

NOTE:
our check in is from 15:00 pm and our check out from 13:00 pm for the room you can stay in the Hotel until 17:00 pm

Rosa Smith
Management

Reviewed 29 February 2012

That's honestly my best description. This place is small (42 rooms), and they are way under-staffed. The entire stay the ONLY bar on the resort would be unmanned for hours. Our group finally resorted to just going behind the bar and making our own drinks. Don't expect anyone to wait on you near the pool/deck. Just not going to happen.

Beach was OK, pretty small, and right next to one of the main public beaches for Santo Domingo locals, which gets really crowded on the weekends.

Food was so-so. Pasta bar was good, but dinner one night made many people in our party sick, and the other meals were mediocre at best. Restaurant opened late for almost all of our meals, everyday.

Rooms were 'ok' but curtains were discolored, shower was not clean (there were hairs on the wall from previous patrons) and the toilet leaked. On the plus side, AC worked well, beds were comfy and TV had many English channels (digital cable).

On a final note, free WiFi only works in the lobby, but is pretty fast for Dominican standards in my experience.
Overall, not sure I would go back.

Room Tip: Make sure you are in building 2. Thats the only one facing the beach.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank nmiler84
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I was looking for a relatively inexpensive place to stay while in DR for volunteer work, and it is that. On the positive side: it is clean, fridge in room, well landscaped,small resort,bar drinks free and usually, but not always good, friendly staff,AC was cold, room facing the ocean. Negatives: food is uninteresting and repetitive, service is slow, breakfast rarely opened on time and we were being picked up early,patio door to balcony didn't lock, WiFi only worked in lobby,music very loud at bar,leak from ceiling in bathroom, AC hose kept coming apart so balcony floor often wet, were never supplied with enough towels,facecloths and had to go to get more every day.

Room Tip: only 20 rooms face ocean, be sure to ask for one. Be prepared to climb stairs to rooms-ask ahead if...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jumall
Reviewed 29 December 2011

My friend and i moved here after a night at a not so nice place and we were so happy we did. It's intimate and friendly, clean and well taken care of. The staff is delightful and helpful, the beach is private and charming. It was the perfect relaxing vacation. We felt so at home and welcome. I will go back again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Xeliter Marbella Juan Dolio
#5 of 12 in Juan Dolio
Be Live Experience Hamaca Garden
Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa

Been to Playa Esmeralda Beach Resort? Share your experiences!