“Budget - Sunshine”

vancouver
“Budget - Sunshine”
Reviewed 2 December 2011

Albatross, Juan Dolio

We moved to this hotel after staying at the Plaza Real Resort, which was the right move for us.
At the Albatross we had a great view of the pool and ocean, and we just wanted to chill out for a couple days so this was nice for us. It was still early-mid Nov and the resort was mostly empty, we enjoyed the quiet time and not having to share the pool.

There is all day sunshine at this resort. This resort is located directly ocean front. Another aspect that I enjoyed of the south side of the island is that - it was not too windy there. Wind always seemed to blow from the north.

Our room had a/c, kitchette, sunshine in the morning via balcony, small fridge. WiFi in the lobby and we were close enough to get it in the room.
There is a store on campus with beer and rum for sale, among other things. We bought beer and rum and drank it at the pool but there is also a bar right at the pool.

The resort is older, I believe Juan Dolio is where resorts come to retire. We were in Juan Dolio so we had to make the best of it and this room brightened our lives a little, especially after staying at the Plaza Real Resort. Albatross was $60 per night, a little over priced I think.

There is a nice pool and a pool bar, vollyball net. I really like the ocean view from the pool. There is also sand, with some cabanas. The sand does not go into the ocean. The shoreline is sharp rock but there is a large blow hole type with sand and you can swim out to the ocean (if you got the guts). Or you can wear your water shoes and jump into the water and swim around. It doesnt look safe to be drinking excessive amount and floating in the ocean, the rocks are really sharp and jaggety.

I believe you can rent a room here for $700 a month. Nov 2011

Also reading other reivews. I also did not feel 100% safe walking up and down the strip at night. We still did because we found a nice pizza place but it forces you to have early dinners and it seems by 10pm there wasnt much night life, Im sure there is night life somewhere though.

If we were forced to go back to Juan Dolio and were looking for budget places we may stay here but overall I dont think we will ever go back to the Dominican again and if we did we would check out another area of the island.

Note: the fourth photo at the top of the page, the photo with the restaurant right on the water, that is NOT the albatross, dont know where that is.

Jenn says. "It was fine, good price for what it was, good water pressure, nice big bed, great view, a/c worked, pool was awesome right beside the water, its own private beach with that blow hole out of the rock, pool side bar and grocery store right there.

Wish to read full trip review krisritchie.com ,click under blogs

Room Tip: not all rooms have ocean view.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ritchieman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 1 April 2011

Just returned from the Albatros and would visit again. The unit itself was shabby and badly in need of an update, however, it was clean. I enjoyed the grounds and the pool (again in need of an update but clean). This is not a swimming beach but they do have a sand area before the rocks. Staff was very friendly and helpful. We rented a car and had no problems parking on the street in front. There are many restaurants in the area and many more right down the road at the older Juan Dolio area with the beach. There is a beach within a short walk or 1/2 mile or less. I liked that you are not forced into a all-inclusive and get out to see the area. There is a store on-site, but no restaurant.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank summitsvs
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 March 2011

I got this resort on a timeshare exchange and would have never selected it had I known what I know now. First of all, the resort was not properly maintained by any means. The pool was dirty and had leaves and bugs in it. There is no beach behind the hotel but the volcanic rocks covering the coastline were covered in garbage. The nice beaches are a good 10 minute walk through the garbage-filled trail. The restaurant was closed during our entire stay and the minimart had barely any selection of food . . . just candy, soda, water, and canned goods. The bathroom in our suite had barely any hot water or water pressure. Our toilet had issues as well. During the evening, there was nothing to do. We had to walk 10 or 15 minutes down a poorly lit and poorly maintained road just to find any restaurants. I didn't feel safe outside the resort. I would not recommend staying at this resort!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank pshastri

Travellers are raving about these Juan Dolio hotels

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 21 February 2011

I booked this hotel quickly and using my phone. In hindsight, I should have done more research and not been so hasty. On the website I used, there were quite a few positive reviews. The photos of this hotel were very small, but they appeared to show a hotel with a nice pool area, right next to the beach, etc.

Here is the real situation.

This hotel is in a very shady area. To get to the hotel, you basically have to drive down a rutted muddy road for about a mile, past all kinds of people loitering around starting at you, past half built buildings, and past generally trashy conditions.

The staff speaks very little English, so be aware of that.

This hotel is full of inconsistencies. I will list a few that do not agree with the website that I booked on:

Wifi is free yes, however it is generally only available in the area near the front desk, NOT in your room. It is also NOT high speed, rather it is about dial up speed, almost totally useless unless you are willing to wait around for pages to load.

there is NO RESTAURANT at this hotel, despite claims on the website about room service and restaurant. There is a restaurant about 5 minutes down the road that they seem to have some kind of deal worked out with

There is no store in the hotel.

The pool was disgusting. Murky water, couldn't even see the bottom. Could have been sea water?

The "beach" was a huge disappointment. It was basically dirty sand that ended in rocks before the water. It was also infested with tiny bugs that got all over us. It was really unbearable to try to enjoy it in any way, which was one of the main reasons I picked this hotel. To my knowledge there is no beach in the immediate area, at least not in walking distance.

THE ROOM:

- NO phone!!
- NO clock of any kind!!
- No hand towels of any kind, only bath towels
Leaking ceiling in bathroom
Hairs all over the bedding and couch
Pillows were extremely small and worn out, little more than a piece of cotton
No mattress pad
No lock from the inside
Exterior screen door didn't fully close
No hot water in shower until about 30 minutes of running
Very poor sound insulation, could hear people talking and walking around all night

Other things to note:

NO ATM on site. You will have to walk literally 25 minutes one way to the nearest bank to get cash from an ATM, so make sure you have some if you plan on booking this hotel

It is about a 25-30 minute drive to the SDQ airport.

For the record, the staff was accommodating when they could be, and everyone we met was friendly.

This hotel just was not what it appeared to be on the internet. It felt run down, cheap, trashy, sketchy, everything you don't really want on a nice vacation.

Do yourself a favor, spend a few extra bucks and get a hotel with a major company or with a large resort. Make sure you look at plenty of pictures and read the reviews thoroughly.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank JohnColumbus_Ohio
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 February 2011

There is only one thing good at the Albatross....the nice fellow that runs the MiniMart food store. Without him there would have been no food or alcohol. No beach. No hot water. No a/c. Weak Internet connection. Pool was cloudy. Nothing close by. Sure the help was friendly but I didn't go there to be smiled at. No place to buy or get a newspaper, book or magazine. A laptop isn't an alternative because the WiFi didn't reach past the lobby....not even to the pool that was less than 100 feet away.

The only reason I can't call it a war zone is the lack of an army. Otherwise the torn-up streets and vacant half-complete construction loomed dangerously sinister everywhere.

Nearby Santo Dominica is one big construction which causes traffic to backup everywhere. Street signs are reliably missing.

But I will say again everyone is friendly, even the teenage kid who ran an intersection and crashed into our rental.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jason115
Cape Cod
Reviewed 24 October 2010

I got this on timeshare exchange and never would have paid real money for it. I don't need much to have a nice time and the weather was great. Unit was Ok except bathroom was in desperate need of renovation and the AC unit on the balcony was on the blink and very loud. Outside areas and pool are nicely kept. Resort is on a desolate stretch of high rises about half of which are under construction. No charm in the neighborhood but not unsafe. Very friendly staff. When my room card didn't work, they quickly gave me a new one which worked fine. Problem is, I accidentally went into the wrong unit one day. Apparently they gave me a master key LOL. I wouldn't stay here without a car. I rented one for a whole week for $150. No restaurant, but Con Con next door is quite good.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Rambler389
Holyoke, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 September 2010

Our experience at this Resort was excellent! we did not mind the constructions around the Resort, all we focused on was the excellent treatment given to us by the Staff of Albatros. My special thanks to German for being very accomodating on every request we had. I traveled there with my wife and 4 Kids.. Imagine that, they did have a good time and a great experience running around the place. My thanks to Vladimir and Elvis the Bartenders, that coffee sure was great, every morning! And to Angela the house keeper (my daughters were amazed by the designs she made with the Towels) To Rosa, the Manager, you must be proud of the great people you have working for you. We definetely will go back again. Great prices and very affordable.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Hotel Casa Hemingway
#6 of 12 in Juan Dolio
Be Live Experience Hamaca Garden
Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa

Been to Albatros Club Resort? Share your experiences!