“Simple but good for relax”

Albatros Club Resort
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Juan Dolio
Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

If you want stay for relax and don't have lot money, this is a perfect place. I am coming here from 2011 and I love the view, the crew and the beautiful view of the sea. This no is a 4 star hotel, here the person have a kitchen with all the necessary for cook... If you are looking all things have a big hotel will find a surprise ... This place is for share and find fun cook, be relax in the pool and enjoy this beautiful place full of peace :)

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank CinthiaSped

Reviewed 1 April 2013

If you go expecting basic accomodation you'll be OK. Staff were reasonably friendly and helpful. HOWEVER: No safe in our room. Elevator didn't work. Our view was of adjacent vacant, litter strewn lot. Property under renovations or redecorating - not clear that completion was any time soon. There was a beach, but no real access to the water (rocky shoreline). There is a very good restaurant nearby called El Concon, two blocks east. Otherwise location is not great - far from main part of Juan Dolio.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here, ask for a room that faces the pool/beach rather than empty lots to th...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank 834PaulaM
Reviewed 26 March 2013

We spent 3 weeks in the Dominican Republic in January 2013 and had a wonderful experience. We drove from Puerto Plata to Punta Cana and almost everywhere in between. I reserved most of our accommodations prior to departing Canada and was satisfied with most of them but I have to say the Albatros was the biggest disappointment I could have imagined. It was a very strange experience in more ways than one but I will give you the basics of our experience. When we arrived at the "resort" we stood completely alone at the desk waiting to check in for at least 10 to 15 minutes before anyone appeared to help us. I mean there was not a person in sight period. It was like the place was deserted which was unsettling to say the least. When the young man finally sauntered in and eventually located our reservation he informed us that there was a problem with the plumbing and the air conditioning in the unit that we were supposed to have and that they would have to get us another suite. Off he went to talk to some mysterious man across the foyer who I'm assuming is the owner or manager of the resort. They spoke at length although we never caught a glimpse of the mystery man, and finally when no one came out to speak with us again we finally got the security guard to go and get the "desk clerk" to come out and let us know what was going on. Their solution to the problem was another room at a completely different hotel which we agreed to go and look at. Well the other room was in a run down hotel and was absolutely disgusting so we told them that was not acceptable and asked for our money back. They said that since we had booked through Expedia we would have to deal with them for a refund, but they did have another suite come available back at the "Albatros" if we cared to see it. We again agreed to see this suite...big mistake...I wouldn't let my dog stay there!! Eventually we called Expedia and they were hesitant about refunding us because we were past the "24 hour prior to check in cancellation thing" but once I advised them that the suite had "plumbing issues" they immediately refunded us our money. I realize now that the Albatros is a "resort" of privately owned units that they rent out for the owners and if the owners don't maintain there suites properly then you're hooped. I must truly say that I have never seen such poor customer service in my life and that coward that stood behind the curtain and made the clerk deal with us never did come out and show his face...Thankfully we were able to find accommodations at the Barcelo which turned out to be a good experience. So if anyone reads this please be vary cautious when considering the Albatros...I would not recommend it in any way

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
10  Thank Darla7755
Reviewed 9 March 2013

Overall I enjoyed my stay and appreciated the friendly accommodating staff, and pool area overlooking a beautiful ocean cliff side expanse.

This a great place to relax and be by your self from the pushy hectic over crowded hotels. There are a couple nearby that pack them in like in a sardine can. The guests are a combination of longer time residents and older travelers.

There is no direct access to the sea but the pool area is very nice and overlooks a type of endless sea view expanse at the low end, 5 to 10 feet, of a choral palisades cliff that rises to over 50 feet at the eastern end. I would have loved a shaded lounge much closer to the sea cliff edge and the pounding waves. I could have taken the lounge chair nearer to the cliff edge.

About a less than 3 minute walk to the west of the pool area just past a vacant former resort lot begins an endless continuous string of beautiful beaches and higher end condos and resorts. Makes for a great morning or afternoon beach walk or exercise.

The hotel was very clean but with very worn furniture and fixtures. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. There is a small grocery store in the premises and in which you can place a small order or you can take a $30 round trip taxi ride, 20 minutes each way with an hour to shop, at the supermarket at San Pedro de Macoris the formerly 2nd most important historic port city now much run down but a great fountain of professional baseball talent. There is also an excellent local cuisine restaurant 3 blocks away, El Concon.

The area is a hotel strip rebounding from its glory days before Punta Cana. At about 40 minutes from Santo Domingo, it now is a condo haven for those with where with all that live and work in the capital.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Ramon C
Reviewed 20 January 2013 via mobile

Rooms are ok. Restaurant is really really bad. And expensive, often closed, so completely Unusable. You'll either cook in your room, or go out; fortunate that there is a Cuban guy who runs an open air restaurant across the street, highly recommended. Everything else is a long walk or taxi ride away. Beach is also a hike, there is no beach here although the hotel is on the waterfront.

• Stayed: February 2012
4  Thank c f
Reviewed 24 June 2012

It is a clean hotel resort with pool. Good price, clean and friendly staff that can speak English very well. Jonathan is very friendly. I booked for a studio for $68 per night for 2 nights. My room has a balcony with ocean and swimming pool view, have stove, microwave, fridge, coffee maker and a toaster, dishes , utensils and pots. So it is more than what I need. The cable TV has 99 channels so I am ok with that :).The room is very clean. There were a few other people staying there on my first night...nobody on my floor. There was a free taxi from hotel took me to a casino. Don't go to that casino as they have about 5-6 card tables but nobody playing so only the dealers standing by...haha..one table for roullets and maybe 6 slot machines.

I had the hotel arranged for my one day trip to Saona Island and it was amazing. when I was back to hotel I tried swimming pool and the pool table game in the game room so kinda nice..They have a small minimart downstairs with reasonable prices for personal needs. I bought a bikini for my swim there and it worked so..I don't complain..

I checked out next day for my flight in Santo Domingo and the hotel arranged for taxi for USD30. The driver is the guy who worked in Minimart named Pedro..

I am sure there must be few other nice hotels there but this hotel is cheap and get most of what I need (no internet in my room...gotta connect at lobby...free though)..

So overall..it is a good experience. I might go there again..

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Amy592104
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Maybe I want too much or maybe I just want to be a bit more comfortable?! I must first say the rooms were very clean!, and the layouts (I stayed in two different units over a 2 week period) somewhat ok. The staff were pleasant, mostly, and the music a bit annoying. There is little to nothing to to do here. This is good for many folks who just want to sun-bath and nothing else - which is perfect, and those who want to get out and sight see may consider staying closer to Santo Domingo. My wife and I enjoyed our "doing nothing" week there. We have family who picked us up and took us to the city - no expense rental or taxi needed. Our first unit (week 1) was good, on the ocean side, breezy and cool! the 2nd unit (week 2), hot and ackward layout - air conditioners (2) did nothing but make noise and bit more hot.

The pool was nice as was the quiet (except for the music blarring after mid-day). No restaurant which was not really an issue and the bar (pool side) was ok and open until 11pm (from early morning. The pictures of the hotel (not a resort in any sense of the word) looked great however up close and personal was a different issue. The owners/managers were onsite however not a friendly group (hence the slightly pleasant staff). Other than those issues there is nothing other to report - if you are looking for a little more that sun-bathing, do it anywhere else!

Room Tip: Good luck in getting a room that you like or that is to your comfort level. Also, don't expect t...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
#8 of 19 in Boca Chica
Emotions by Hodelpa
Emotions by Hodelpa
#1 of 12 in Juan Dolio

Been to Albatros Club Resort? Share your experiences!