“I absolutely loved it .”

Albatros Club Resort
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Juan Dolio
N.C.
“I absolutely loved it .”
Reviewed 17 March 2009

Rule # 1 visit the on site spa ask for Aerolena ! I have never gotten a better massage or facial anywhere else ! For around $50 i got a cleansing facial and surprisingly it came with a full body massage ! After the flight and an 8 hour layover it revived me !
The staff was very friendly and helpfull . If you do not have something in your room, all you have to do is ask and they will be more than happy to help you. Take advantage of the excursions available through faenza tours, ask for Pipo. My sister and I went whale watching and saw humpback whales, went to Bacardi Island and enjoyed a buffett style lunch, and always an open bar. We also went out on a speed boat to a natural pool in the middle of the ocean . From there we went to saona island and enjoyed a bbq style buffett and an open bar . While in the natural pool we saw many starfish ! For our third excursion we went on a safari on a jeep to the waterfall . Before you get there you will stop at a sugar cane plantation, coffee, and cocoa . When you get to the waterfall area you can actually get in the water. If you do go on the safari take candy to throw out to the local village children as you pass by in the jeep. I was pleased with the resort overall. The pool area has a beautifull view of the ocean ! There is not a direct beach access from the resort but you just walk down a little ways and you can get in .There is volcanic rock in front of the resort but there is also a natural waterspout. There is also an anamation team that organizes daily activities at the resort such as dance lessons, spanish lessons, and outings to a nearby casino. I am already planning my next trip !!!!!

• Stayed March 2009
1 Thank cutting-em

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Wildwood,NJ
Reviewed 5 March 2009

Let me do you a favor. Don't go to Albatros Resort in Juan Dolio, Dominican Republic. My wife and I have been vacationing in the Caribean every year for the past twenty years. Mostly thru RCI trading our two bedroom condo at Orange Lake Country Club in Kissamee, FL. Over the years we've stayed at many resort's on many Islands at many levels of luxury. From two (2) star to Five (5) star resorts, Usually in the two to three star range because of our vacation request. We like to go for three to four weeks conseculatively. Because of that its very hard to get those consecutive weeks at a five star resort,so we've become accustomed to less than five star resorts. That being said, let me tell you about Albatros.

First , I had been in contact with the resort before we left out of concerns I had after reading conflicting reviews. We needed at least a one bedroom condo because a friend of my wife was joining us for this vacation and I wanted to be assured of some privacy. When we arrived the staff was very friendly, gathered up our bags and took us to a studio. A very small studio at that. After immediatly turning down this unit we were taken to what they called a one bedroom unit. The place was so dirty it was unbearable to think of staying there overnight let alone three weeks. In addition when the average person thinks one bedroom condo, you think of a living area,kitchen area, eating area, with the pull out bed sofa or murfey bed in the living area. Not the case here. The cooking, eating,sitting and sleeping area were all in a 10x12 space. By this time I was about to blow my top when a small Dominican cleaning woman motioned to me to look at the room she had just finnished cleaning. As I went in to look around she said this is PREEMO room. The room was still dirty, but the floor was clean. Its only saving quality was it was a two bedroom unit. Still the same cooking and eating area but at least some privacy for us.There was a young woman who spoke english and was able to communicate the problems we had with the unit. The staff removed all the curtains and washed them,cleaned the windows, repaired the shower, replaced the microwave and mini refrigerator with ones that worked. Luckally the air-conditioner worked, which I learned later is not the case in most units. You can't drink the water so they supply you with a five (5) gallon bottle of water, However, only the first bottle is free. Every bottle after that you get charged. I could go on and on about how bad the unit was so sufice to say it was the worst we've ever stayed at. You can compare it to a dirty flop house with bare light bulbs and dead bug stains on the walls.

Now the resort itself. There is no access to the ocean, after a small beach area there is nothing but volcanic rock between you and the water. You can gain access to the ocean with a five hundred (500) yard walk westward on a rocky path to a beach, but we were told if you choose to walk there only go in large groups because of the assualts and robbery's along the path. The pool area is in such disrepair you cannot walk around it barefoot. The music in the pool area is so loud you cannot carry on a normal conversation let alone relax. In addition Everything played is spanish rap type music. Not conducive to any relaxing time at the pool. The only food store is a twenty-five (25) dollar round trip cab ride to San Pedro. We went to buy some groceries and the taxi driver waits up to an hour for you. There is absoluletly nothing in Juan Dolio except construction everywhere. The so-called mini markets have nothing but booze, beer and some canned goods.
On one of my walks exploring and looking for a store with edible food I came upon a security guard type toteing a pump action riot type shotgun who began talking to me demanding money. I just smiled at the guy and said sorry I don't speak Spanish and kept on walking. I speak Spanish fairly well but I didn't want him to know that, So I just played dumb. On the second day of our stay my wife tripped and fell on the uneven walkway and sprained her ankle. The next ten (10) days she spent in a wheelchair the clinic loaned us.

This so-called resort is owned by an Italian firm and almost seventy five percent (75%) of its clientel are Italians. As a matter of fact most of Juan Dolio's Business are owned by Italians. Given that fact you would think they would have a fantastic restaurant. Again not the case. The cook is a Dominican who has a trick hip, looks like a pirate with a braided goatee and a walnut hanging at the end of the braid, and drinks considerably. Speaking of drinking, I've been known to enjoy a cool gin and tonic from time to time but the so called pool bar only has coke and sprite.In fact there is no ICE at the resort, I mean really, a vacation resort without ICE......... IN fact the pool bar was just a hang out for the employee's. Where have you ever stayed where the management allows that!!!!!!!!!!!

So now you know. After reading this, if you still want to go to Albatros in Juan Dolio, remember I told you so........
Mike
Wildwood, NJ

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mflmarlton

Travellers are raving about these Juan Dolio hotels

new york
Reviewed 7 February 2009

The place is in a beautiful setting, but the beach is quite a walk, not recommended for anyone elderly. The kitchen and bathroom were as if noone knew we were coming. The microwave was broken, no coffee machine, the propane stove was cranked so high and mal adjusted we torched the cabinets when we tried to light it. Which by the way you light with a match. There was no shower curtain, and no chairs on the balcony. They did not understand washclothes, nor were there any towels to do dishes with. All staff with the exception of front desk and mgt did not speak any english. Once we got settled in and requested all the goods, the visit was fine. I was very impressed with the restaurants on the road, we dined in two and both were delicious. There are also mini markets to get things off the resort. Also impressive is they did arrange for my cab to arrive at five am, and he was early.

Stayed January 2009
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 28 July 2008

Just came back from a week stay at the Albatros. We were a little worried after reading the negative reviews before the trip. However, the place is nice, room is clean (I can say it is much cleaner than some 3 star hotels in the US & elsewhere like in Bangkok or in Europe). We had a room with ocean front view; the view is great. The kitchen has the basic utensils. Staff are friendly and helpful. Although the restaurant is not open, the one next to the Albatros offers great food at reasonable price. Overall, we had a great stay there.

• Liked — The view & friendly staff
  • Disliked — Loud music
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sandy623
Florida - Hong Kong
Reviewed 28 July 2008

After reading past reviews about this resort and the area in general we were a little worried about what we would find. However once we arrived and checked in we were pleasantly surprised at the accommodations and service from the staff.

The Resort is spending a lot of time and money upgrading everything from the insides of the rooms to the public areas. Yet none of the work going on intruded into our stay there. The staff took great care to keep the noise and workers unnoticeable. The only negative we found was the condition of the sandy area next to the ocean, the beach chairs and condition of the sand was not well maintained. I expect before the winter season arrives they too will be brought up to the standards of the rest of the upgrades.

The staff really made the experience a good one, they went out of their way to help us with all our needs. The maid service was very clean and attended to daily. We never had any issues with honesty among the staff, and while we tipped them frequently, not a single employee of the resort ever asked for a tip. Anka, the manager makes everything run smooth for the guests and took very good care of our needs while we were there.

The restaurant next door is a real gem, its a two minute walk, but the food is first rate with excellent service. Prices are very reasonable. Totally unexpected for such a small town as Juan Dolio.

The only negative we had was the Internet access. The computer room was not air conditioned or even had a fan, which made it very uncomfortable to work on the computer during the hot part of the day. There was good wireless access in the lobby where the breezes kept it cool, but no power outlets so you were limited to the battery life of your laptop.

• Liked — The friendly staff
  • Disliked — Interness access business center
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travelnut999
NJ
Reviewed 11 May 2008

We had some issues but it was better than expected. There is no restaurant any longer at the resort. The front desk staff was friendly and very accommodating. My trip was during the off season so it was not very crowded. The bar was nice and the drinks there were reasonably priced. However, you should not expect top shelf liquor but there were plenty of Dominican Drinks available.

Our room was neat and clean although we did find a roach or two around. However, when we contacted the front desk they came and gave us a new frig (which is where we found a roach) and sprayed each of the rooms.

The staff was pretty reactive to all our needs. The housekeeper came more than she was suppose to do and tidy up every day. The maintenance crew was observed up keeping the property every day and they did a great job.

The hot tub was never quite hot but never cold. Overall I had a good stay and it was a much better outcome then I initially expected.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Roaches
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
Northwest Ohio
Reviewed 8 April 2008

My husband and I loved the area and the people their. We would go back in a heart beat. The rooms are in disparate need of updating.
But we were hardly in them. We had ants but they came in and sprayed. The kitchen facilities were bad, but it gave us an excuse to go eat out. We were never disappointed with the restaurants. It is inexpensive to eat out there anyway. The pool was cold because it was in Jan. You don't have a sandy beach on site, but you can walk to one within a couple minutes. It is truely a beautiful place to visit. We even drove there from Punta Cana. It took over 3 hours. It's not for the faint heart. You must drive very defensively. It's is crazy.
The beaches are more beautiful here than in Punta Cana.

Stayed January 2008