“Plaza Real Resort in Juan Dolio is not a real hotel” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Plaza Real Resort
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Juan Dolio
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Plaza Real Resort in Juan Dolio is not a real hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2012

The place was horrible, there were bugs everywhere, dirty floor and bathroom old and dirty, Air Aconditioner didn't work, .....we stayed overnight but couldn sleep and got then got out of there and found another hotel. The picture in Web is wrong, the actual building is different and have for sale and for rent signs. The rooms are way in the back after crossing a dark path.

Genuine Hotels.com guest review

Room Tip: Only if you need a place to storage your bags go to this place. Bathroom are disgusting, dirty floor...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Mathel G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2012

the only problem was the bed it was it was killing my back but other than that it was ok the shower water was hot and the AC work very well.... the beach was a 2min walk the owner was nice the WI+FI was good the pool was clean again for the price it was ok

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank ranran2275
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2012

Plaza Real is a great place to stay in the Dominican Republic. Everything you need is right there at your finger tips. Beach, restaurants, and car rentals all very easy to access! The rooms and pool are great! There is a nice swim up bar. The people at Plaza Real are amazing! It is a very clean, very comfortable, and a very friendly place to stay!

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank Jenni D
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2012

don't know what to say
it was a great place to stay and felt very comfortable
safe too...my boys were playing in the pool and I did not worry about them at all.
What a great place.
I liked that the staff did everything they could to make our stay a good one.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
East Bay San Francisco, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

Our family of six: Mom, Dad, two young daughters, and two small dogs, stayed at Plaza Real Resort in Juan Dolio for six nights. We are experienced travelers (even the dogs!), and value oriented. We prefer authentic local flavor to sanitized resort stays, and this small, local resort delivered a slice of Dominican life at the beach. Our fellow guests were a diverse group from Europe, the Caribbean, North and South America, and included many families. Our daughters loved their stay here, living in the pool which we had to drag them from to go to the gorgeous white sand beach across the street. They also loved the cable TV (a great diversion when the pool was closed) and watched four different channels of cartoons in Spanish whenever they could get a chance. Mom and Dad appreciated the BBC and CNN as well!

We stayed in unit #78, a "triple" which cost $50 a night. Unit 78 is a two story apartment that fronts the street above the ground floor shop space. This location has its pros and cons: a balcony view of the Caribbean Sea along with a large multistory resort. This resort is being built Mon-Sat, 8am to 6pm, and is supposed to be completed by October 2012. The noise did not bother us humans since we did not hang out in our apartment much during the day, but one of our dogs really hated it, hiding under the bed to escape. Sitting on the balcony watching the comings and goings on the street all hours of the day and night was very entertaining, especially since the Plaza Real is the hub of activity on this stretch of the beach. The beachfront properties that surround the Plaza Real are tall, posh and pricey resorts that seemed to be largely vacant.

The first floor of our apartment was a living-dining-kitchen area furnished with two ceiling fans, a double sleep sofa, two arm chairs, TV, dining table with eight chairs, and a balcony with a table and four chairs. The kitchen had cabinets, sink, gas range, and refrigerator, along with some cookware and tableware. Since this is NOT an all inclusive, our kitchen helped us save money by making breakfast, snacks, and mixing our own alcoholic drinks. The pool side cafe has wifi, excellent food and service at reasonable prices, but they do NOT allow outside food/drinks by the pool.

The second floor of our apartment had one bedroom with a queen bed/AC/ceiling fan and another bedroom with two twin beds and a ceiling fan. The beds were comfortable although well worn with clean but old sheets/pillows. The two baths were identically equipped: two bath towels, bathmat towel, bar soap, shower, toilet, bidet, and sink with cabinet. As in most Caribbean locations, toilet paper is disposed of in the trash, not the toilet. Drinking the water is not advised, so it's good to keep bottled water for drinking and tooth brushing just to be safe.

The grounds of the Plaza Real complex have four walk-up multistory buildings, as well as four small single story cottage accomodations. Local muralists painted landscape scenes on the interior and exterior walls throughout the buildings. Well maintained, charming tilework is everywhere - interior, exterior, floors, walls, and stairs. The complex is located in an enclosed landscaped garden with paths, fish/turtle pond with bridge, local crafts and decorative objects, as well as two business cottages: a masseuse and a mani-pedi-hair salon. The masseuse, Carolina, is EXCELLENT and an expert at therapeutic massage. A one hour massage costs RD 800 pesos (about $25 USD), so we adults indulged daily. The complex grounds are locked at night and patrolled by security who will let you in when you show your room key. All the resort staff are very friendly, helpful, and courteous, and keep track of everything and everyone, so we always felt safe and welcomed. Sometimes it takes a while to get what you need, but it will always be provided with a smile; being able to speak Spanish to the staff really helps you get what you need faster.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank Ingrid E
Irmo, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

This is going to be a difficult review for me. The friendliness of the staff and cleanliness of the place is always important to me. I wanted to give this hotel 3 Stars or Points, but I just can't do it and be honest.
Upon Check-In the Staff was friendly. They spoke good enough English that we could communicate well. I was with six other friends. I believe the staff could sense that I was skeptical about staying there. They allowed us to tour the rooms prior to giving us the keys although we paid for our rooms a week in advance on Expedia.Com.
Simply walking into rooms without a white glove, they appeared to be clean. The floors appeared to be exceptionally clean. Be mindful, the lighting in the rooms were with those low cost money saving bulbs that don't put out much light. After touring the facility we hand picked rooms 80, 83, and 47. I immediately brought to management's attention that room 47 needed towels. Management brought to my attention that the A.C. was temporarily down. Hmmmm?
Rooms 80 and 83 each had a upstairs and downstairs. Obviously the bedrooms and a bathroom was upstairs and the living room and kitchen was downstairs. I would give rooms 80 and 83 four (4) stars. Just no working Air Conditioning! All of our rooms had hot water. (thank you)
Back in my room 47, management did not bring me towels right away. I had to ask again and they then made towels available. I notice that the sheets were not changed on my bed because I saw pubic hairs in the bed. I went to management and they provided me with new sheets right away. Again, all service was with a smile but dang. The stove was kind of worn but I did not come there to cook anyway. Pots and pans were made available. All my friends and I had nice big balconies. The furniture throughout the hotel is old. For under $50/night this budget resort is not that bad. Again, everyone seemed very friendly. The grounds were kept clean and the swimming pool looked clean as well. The Spa looked kind of old and worn. This place just has old furniture. The outdoor Bar looked comfortable and relaxing by the swimming pool.
There is a lot of construction in the area around this hotel but that did not bother me. The restaurant downstairs was decent. We were able to watch the NBA Championship Game while eating.
There was security walking the grounds. I would not have felt threatened even without their presence. It would appear that you could have local guest at the hotel. Everything was calm and quiet otherwise. Buy new furniture and fix the A/C units and for the present price, I would easily give this hotel 4 Stars.
I would only recommend this hotel to someone on a budget that does not want to be locked into an All-Inclusive Resort.

Room Tip: I saw small rooms from the outside looking inside that looked pretty decent on the ground level. I...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank Ed M

Travellers are raving about these Juan Dolio hotels

New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

The Plaza Real is an awesome place to stay if you are visiting The Dominican Republic. The staff there are amazing, and the appartments are very clean. It is very close to the beach and also has everything you need right at your finger tips. I visit The Dominican Republic often and I always stay at The Plaza Real.

Thank you to everyone who works at The Plaza Real =) You make my vacations amazing everytime!

Jenni <3

Emotions by Hodelpa
Emotions by Hodelpa
#1 of 11 in Juan Dolio
Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa

Been to Plaza Real Resort? Share your experiences!