“Outstanding service, unparalleled holiday experience”
Review of Casa Veintiuno

and 1 more site!
Casa Veintiuno
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Sosua
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I had the pleasure to stay at Casa 21 during the last 2 weeks of July. I received a very warm welcome from Saskia and Marc, instantly I felt at home. The room – suite 1 with jacuzzi – was very spacious, clean and smelled incredible due to the tropical flowers that were exposed in the room. The room had everything it should have: a comfortable bed (Auping), Air-conditioning, cable TV, DVD player, huge bathroom with shower and bath, docking station for iPod/iPhone and wifi internet connection. I even received a pair of white Havanianas next to a bottle of local rum, as I made a reservation for more than 1 week.
The breakfast is one to never forget:
- Different fresh fruits e.g.: papaya, mango, melon, passion fruit, pineapple;
- Toasts;
- Croissants;
- ‘pains au chocolat’;
- Eggs (made on demand, whatever I wished for: scrambled, with ham&cheese, vegetables,…);
- Cheese, ham, Nutella, marmalade;
- Yogurt;
- Fresh squeezed fruit juices (2 different juices/day)
Next to this, Saskia and Marc treat their guests every Sunday to pancakes. There was always the possibility to ask additional cheese, fruit juice,… if needed. I never had to ask for more. Breakfast was so complete, I even skipped lunch and wasn’t hungry until dinner. This brings me to the description of the Restaurant… Same criteria apply: fresh food, not too complicated but… absolutely delicious. During 2 weeks I had the pleasure to taste most of the proposed dishes on the menu. None of them disappointed.
Marc does an excellent job in the kitchen, while Saskia makes sure the guests are taken care of. Both of them do an extraordinary job in making sure the guests feel at home.
The house is very clean; the space between the 3 rooms is enough to ensure the intimacy for every guest. There is even a private terrace on the 1st floor for the guests who do not want to stay down by the pool. The pool area is an excellent place to relax with a cocktail and some lounge music on the background.
Every staff member who works for Saskia and Marc is very customer oriented and so very kind.
In short… it was an excellent vacation thanks to Saskia, Marc, the staff members, and not to forget… their 2 dogs, which I absolutely loved! I’m so looking forward returning to Casa21 and seeing Saskia and Marc again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 15 September 2013

A perfect evening from start to finish. Lovely relaxed area to have a drink and review the menu. Great attention to detail to ensure the steaks were cooked exactly as we envisaged, and there were no complaints with how they came out.
The fresh tuna was a special and cooked to perfection, served with a ratatouille with olives that complemented the tuna really well.
We've never got to desserts yet but sure we will make it one day as we will definitely be returning .thanks to the lovely hosts, Saskia and Marc.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We recently stayed at Casa Ventiuno for the first week of our honeymoon before heading on to the States. I had been communicating with Saskia for a year while planning the trip as a surprise for my fiancé. Right from the start I was impressed at Saskia's quick and detailed responses to my emails. She fully prepared me for what to expect. Even so we were still blown away when we arrived. Saskia, Marc and the dogs greeted us warmly, took care of our luggage and showed us to our room, suite 1. Saskia explained all the facilities in the room and asked us when we wanted to receive some of the treats included in our package. We chose to have our luggage unpacked the next day. Saskia explained that we could have our welcoming drink that night but recommended that we wait for when their cocktail waiter was going to be there in a couple of days. We were happy to follow the advice, it was worth the wait! The hotel is paradise. The suite was huge and immaculately clean and the pool area was tranquil with plenty of comfortable furniture. With only 3 rooms in total it was very quiet for the duration of our stay and Saskia and Marc really are there to look after you and cater for every need. We enjoyed the busy beach really nearby which had an authentic Caribbean feel and also the quiet beach that Saskia showed us. Marc drove us to Cabarete and recommended some fantastic restaurants on the beach. Most nights however we ate at the hotel by the pool, as the food was amazing and the setting was so romantic. I need to also mention the breakfasts - every morning fresh bread, croissants, pancakes one day, meats, a selection of teas to choose from and Marc made the best scrambled eggs we've ever had.
Overall, staying here is being treated in luxury in a Caribbean paradise with hosts that will ensure that you have a great time. It was the perfect place for a honeymoon.
We would love to return one day.
David and Manpreet

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 28 August 2013

The conversation between my wife and I on where to go for our anniversary/vacation was a short conversation. There was no question on where we were going.....Casa 21 !!! Th.is was our second visit to Casa 21 and it did not disappoint, Marc and Saskia , who are the owners,, have a true understanding of how to make people feel welcome and relaxed. From the minute we arrived to the minute we left, we felt like they did everything they could to make us feel comfortable and important. Saskia is the warmest, most kind woman I think I have ever met, with the ability to anticipate what you are wanting and needing at any time. Marc is , well ,, a great Chef with a real desire to please his guests through his culinary delights. The menu is well thought out and offers something great for everyone. From breakfast to dinner, everything my wife and I ate was top notch cuisine with emphasis on great presentation and great taste. Believe me when I say that words are not enough to describe how good it was,,,you have to experience for yourself. As for the service,,,also top notch . Led by David, the wonderful server who has been there for both of our visits, our every request was met with a great smile and and very pleasant attitude. He is truly a wonderful guy doing a wonderful job.

As for the accommodations, wonderful, pristine rooms with a great sense of all the immenities you could want. The property is very well kept and maintained by a small staff that truly cares about service. The lovely Juana is the house keeper with a gift of towel decorations that are amazing. Next time we go,, I will ask her to teach me how to do them. She kept the property amazingly clean without being intrusive at all . absolutely wonderful.

Saskia was very helpful in setting up all the off property excursions that we wanted to do and arranged all the details so we didn't have to worry about it. Very helpful indeed. She truly is the standard by which all other bed and breakfast owners should strive to be,,,amazing!! Her and Marc are a team that cannot be beat!

In closing , I would just like to say that our second visit to Casa 21 was just as wonderful as our first visit,,,all made possible by the efforts of Saskia , Marc, and their wonderful staff. My wife and I are already planning for our third trip there in 2015 and wouldn't have it any other way. I can honestly speak for my wife as well, when I say,,we feel that we have made a bond with Saskia and Marc and truly consider them friends who we are excited to see on our next visit.

Please ,, do yourself a favor and go to this "private paradise" and I promise you that you will not be disappointed.

Mike and Melanie Ryan
Mike and Melanie Ryan

Room Tip: We have stayed in two of the three rooms and can honestly say they were both great
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We booked our stay in Casa Veintiuno after reading many excellent reviews of other guests, and I have to say that Saskia and Marc not only met all our expectations, but even exceeded them. Their small, beautiful boutique hotel is perfect in every detail, both elegant and cozy, and they really know how to take care of their guests and make them feel at home. I still miss our breakfasts by the swimming pool - fresh local fruit, different every day, fresh croissants, juices, cheese, eggs the way you liked them… and we are very picky with food! We often had dinner at their restaurant, and we found the same high quality. Casa Veintiuno was a good choice also because it is close to Sosua beaches (10 minutes’ walk) and close to the centre but not in the centre, so it was very quiet - the little, beautiful garden with the swimming pool was the ideal place to relax coming back from the beach, or to enjoy a romantic dinner. I would only add that we can’t wait to come back!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vale G
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We had chosen Casa 21 as the stay for our honeymoon and I can honestly say that this place is paradise. The wedding was great but, obviously, came with months of planning, stress and lack
of sleep. Casa 21 was exactly what we needed! Saskia, one of the owners, writes very friendly and clear emails in advance of what to expect. She explains that Casa 21 has no entertainment and is a rather quiet safe haven in the pretty surroundings of Sosua. Children are welcome (I have seen a baby bed outside our room) but there is no entertainment per se apart from a pool table and a Wii plus Saskia and Mark's lovely two dogs, Blancito and Pucca. Well, and to be honest, you don't need entertainment. Let me explain why this place is so brilliant. The surrounding: Sosua is a pretty place with 2 beaches in walking distance. Once you leave the beautiful walls of Casa 21 you are part of the real life with sexy girls walking by in hot pants, guys driving their motor scooters through the streets with said girls on the back, people chilling outside their houses etc etc. The beaches are amazing. There is a very quiet one a good five minutes away but our favourite is the one just across the street as it is very pretty, secluded in a bay with lots of friendly locals coming here for a swim. A supermarket with everything you need is about 3 minutes away as well and if you carry on walking you'll find a road full of pubs and party places in walking distance. The venue: the house is so beautiful. Clean white, with aircon and fans, Saskia and Mark rent out three rooms. They are all special in their own way but we were in room 3 which features a big (working) jacuzzi right on top of the left wing of the house above the gym area and it is great with an amazing view over the sea and coastline!! Everywhere in the house you have those little lounge and chilling areas with sofas and sitting opportunities and there is an espresso machine within walking distance. The restaurant is right by the pool so you can start your day overlooking the water or retreat underneath the roof next to the art displays. In the evening they light torches in the garden and have mood lights float across the pool. All day quiet relaxing music is played through the loud speakers. The hosts and staff: Saskia and Mark do an amazing job. With both being very genuine and friendly, Saskia is the chattier one who is happy to talk to and joke with their guests and also truly listens and remembers what you tell her. When she learned that I love hot and spicy food, they started to add little pots of hot sauce to my meals and they remember what you tell them. Staff is also amazing. David is a great waiter and mixes some of the best cocktails I've ever had, Juana is a real gem who unpacks your suitcase for you, tidies and cleans the room perfectly in no time and creates towel animals that are so amazing is leaves you speechless (monkeys swinging on a clothes hanger), mermaids with flower petals etc). Gulis is a careful and thorough nightwatchman who also maintains the grounds. Everyone of them is really lovely, stop to have a word with you and quietly put themselves out there to make your stay even more pleasant and comfortable. Saskia and Mark also show you around Sosua and give you helpful advice where to eat, where the beaches are etc as well as taking their guests to Cabarete one day a week to show them around where we decided to have dinner by the beach (Casa 21 Restaurant is closed Monday and Tuesday). Let me now tell you why we chose to have dinner at Casa 21 every night of our stay. The food: gorgeous!!! All is very fresh and handmade, so you have pasta and rice dishes (cooked to perfection!), with lovely sauces (my favourite is the white wine sauce), they serve the fattest prawns I've ever seen but also more complicated dishes (meat section and chef's recommendation ie dorado filet with mashed potatoes on a sinach bed with mustard sauce- yum). My husband loved the handmade fish and chips! Great, non-greasy batter, delicious fish and their chips are simply fantastic (Belgian secret?)!!! One of their many assets are the desserts. We LOVED their Creme Brullee that had more vanilla dots in it than I have eaten in previous desserts added together, they also make a gorgeous sabayon sauce and a brilliant panne cotta!! A quick word about breakfast, very, very good food. Amazing fruit plate, great variety of food but the real star, again, are Mark's cooking skills. Don't miss his omeletts!! I had mine with tomatoes, cheese and onions and was often already looking forward to breakfast when we retired for the night. Together with the lovely and more than comfortable and relaxing pool are, we had days where we just chilled by the pool after breakfast, moved in for lunch, returned to our super-comfy sun loungers and got ready for dinner later. The restaurant is quite frequented in the evenings as it has built up such a good reputation amongst visitors and locals but Saskia and Mark always keep you a table by the pool (best place to eat) just on case you decide to dine at their's). What can I say more? Casa 21 was one of the best experiences I've ever had and definitely what we needed after the wedding. They have created such a lovely, luxurious surrounding (the calmness is one of the places many strengths and if you fancy a bit of party just step outside, hit the town, go to the pubs, go to Cabarete etc etc) full with fantastic people that are working so hard to make your life even more relaxing and your stay unforgettable as well as making you feel appreciated as a person. We loved it here and we shall definitely return :-)!!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank WaldFeeGermany
Reviewed 3 July 2013

If you, like we used to, have any doubts about all the positive feedback thay got - I can assure you they are all true! From the initial planning, first contact with Saskia, any and all questions i had were answered in great detail and promptly! Saskia and Marc are both very professional but at the same time you feel like you made new friends. Where premises are concerned - everything is soooo clean and they keep it up to highest standards. Rooms are so spacious and clean - cleaning lady Juana is very detailed! All of their staff are wonderfull - especially David who was there all the time for everything we needed. Also try their food!! From breakfast to lunch and dinner - you dont know which is better! Great job Marc!! I could go on and on telling you how great everything was, but do yourself a favour and go and see for yourself! You will never regret it I promise! And you will never forget it :)) ever :)

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank AntoniaBZ
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sosua
Casa Valeria Boutique Hotel
Ahnvee Resort & Sports
Coral Blanco Hotel
Coral Blanco Hotel
#3 of 30 in Sosua

Been to Casa Veintiuno? Share your experiences!