“A Caribbean paradise owned by two angels!!!”
Review of Casa Veintiuno

Casa Veintiuno
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Sosua
Toronto, Canada
“A Caribbean paradise owned by two angels!!!”
Reviewed 12 January 2010

Where do you begin to do justice to a little oasis which is one of the most incredible places we have EVER found or had the great fortune of staying at!!! My fiance and I searched at great lengths to find a little quiet place to get away and found Casa Veintiuno! This is a long review and I apologize for not being more concise but those who have stayed at Casa Veintiuno will understand! I think it's important for travellers to really get a clear perspective regarding their potential destination points. If you want to avoid the long read....in a word....this place was "Incredible"! For others....here goes!

In November, I began to send emails to the owners, Saskia & Marc asking for information about their B&B based on the incredible Trip Advisor reviews and the fact that no one seemed to have a bad thing to say about them or their Casa Veintiuno!!! Saskia began answering and was both incredibly quick and professional about all the information provided. I had some hesitation as we had not travelled in the Caribbean unless it was all inclusive in the past and the thought of "wiring" money made me a little nervous! Well....there was truly NOTHING to be nervous about and as the emails flew back and forth, I discovered not only that Saskia was incredibly thorough but realized that she was probably going to become a new friend!

We arrived in Puerto Plata on January 3rd, 2010 and we were greeted by Saskia at the airport, little sign and all. Right from the start, we clicked and loved Saskia! She drove us to our "home for a week", doting over every detail, making sure we got settled and treating us as though we were there to spend a week without a single care and with nothing but rest and relaxation! We were given keys to "Room #3" and our bags were taken up to our room. The room itself was gorgeous and the word "WELCOME" was written in pretty small red flowers on our bedspread. The room was equipped with the finest crisp white linens, towels, robes, slippers and lovely bath amenities. There were oversized gorgeous red flowers in our sitting area and plenty of storage space. Saskia offered to have our bags unpacked but I had indicated by email that I would prefer to do this myself so we went downstairs for our welcome cocktail.

From the time we landed until 5 days later, the weather decided it would not cooperate! While this could have been disasterous in any other hotel, it certainly was not the case at the Casa Veintiuno!!! Saskia and Marc have gone out of their way to make sure they have a back up plan for everything! They have a solution to every glitch and will do the utmost to fix anything in their power! Obviously, weather was not within their power but they sure did everything humanly possible to try and make us forget about it!!!

On Monday....the rain broke for an hour or two and we took a stroll on Sosua's nearby beach. We love the ocean and beach but prefer quiet areas and as such, a beach with many many vendors, small food huts and a lot of locals wasn't what we were looking for. There was a beach close-by which we were told was quieter but we didn't go.

Mondays and Tuesdays are Marc and Saskia's day off (if you can call it that!!!). They ACTUALLY don't take time off and the time they MIGHT have to themselves is spent taking their guests into town! THAT doesn't seem like a day off to me since they still prepared breakfast and then went to pick up supplies in the city and spent the rest of the day doing everything you need to do to run such a wonderful place!!! We were fortunate enough to have Marc & Saskia drive us to Cabarete for dinner on both Monday and Tuesday and had a drink on the beach and two nice meals there. The meals were very good but having had dinner at the Casa on Sunday night when we arrived pretty much spoiled us for the entire week!!! Marc's cooking is INCREDIBLE! His attention to detail and presentation is surpassed by no other (much like Saskia's attention to detail in the front of the house) and it soon became obvious that these two wonderful people are impeccably matched!!! My fiance ordered a lot from the menu but asked Marc to make some adaptations to the menu whenever he preferred one thing in lieu of the other. Of course, Marc obliged and never batted and eye when the request was made. I , on the other hand, made a complete piglet out of myself and asked Marc for non menu items on almost EVERY night!!! I had langostas, langostinas, camarones...you name it, he made it for me! Marc would call his fisherman everyday to accommodate whatever I wanted and he came through in one way or another EVERYDAY!!! There were days when Marc told me somethings might not be available since his fisherman was providing these items fresh out of the ocean so I understood and on one occasion, actually ordered from the menu!!! The menu items were just as incredible!!! Yes Marc and Saskia....I DID gain 2 kilos!!! But it was soooooooo good!!!! ;) Can you imagine if I HADN'T worked out on the equipment or played Wii!?!?!?

We remained at the hotel for the majority of our stay since booking excursions was fruitless because the rain hadn't stopped. We had done excursions elsewhere and although we would have liked to have done one or two trips, the quality of trip was not lessened by the lack of activities. It turned out that Saskia and Marc had purchased a Wii console a week or so before our arrival and when we teamed up with a lovely Irish couple on their honeymoon and had our own private little Wii tournaments, laughing, drinking wine and making the most of the circumstances as they were. I can honestly say that although I am a total sun worshipper, I enjoyed my trip thoroughly. Having sun for 7 days would have blown this trip over the top but having the amount of fun and laughter we had made it exceptional regardless!!!

The rain finally broke on the Friday and the day was overcast. We had seen the sun poke its face out and ran down to the pool! The clouds came in and we refused to give up, lounging and reading by the pool, listening to the wonderful music Sas and Marc have playing by the bar/restaurant. On Saturday, the sun came out and we spent a wonderful day by the pool Sunday we laid out again as we were leaving later in the day and had to enjoy what we could of the warm sunny weather!!! Marc drove us to the airport and is apparently always the "drop guests off" guy since Saskia is too much of a softie and hates goodbyes!!!

I am sure I have missed many many things since our holiday was filled with new memories and a very special new friendship. Marc and Saskia have just had their little spot covered on Belgian television and one can only anticipate that they will book up quickly! We threatened to give them bad reviews just to keep them from booking up and being full next time we want to go!!! We just couldn't follow through and do that to them!

If you want peace and quiet and you want to enjoy amazing food and gorgeous accommodations, GO!!! If you have kids, this place is not for you. Nothing personal but there are a lot of stairs, tile floors, rocks, a pool that is NOT kid friendly. Truthfully, taking a child here would be unfair to both the child and the other guests. There is NOTHING for kids to do and some of us seek out this quiet environment. Your kids are probably wonderful but they need to be somewhere where they can play, run and be loud and Casa Veintiuno is NOT that place.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact us! We will be candid and honest. We have schedules a return trip for December 2010...it was THAT wonderful! Maybe that time, the weather WILL push it over the top! :) Saskia and Marc (and Banquito too!!!) thanks for everything you do and we will see you next time!!!

S&J

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sylvie G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Cincinnati
Reviewed 30 December 2009

I've been around the Caribbean and this has to be the best place I've stayed at. Not just the hotel, but the Beach and Relax-fullness of the place, and Sousa in general. It's right across from one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen. I'm glad we chose Sousa over Puerto Plata b/c everyone from P.Plata came to the Sosua beach to lay out.

I left this place feeling like it's my new Home away from Home in the Dominican Republic. Absolutely 5* service in every way. From the Airport Pick-up, to the Airport Drop-off, ...We felt like we were part of the family. Marc and Saskia are wonderful hosts, and we can't wait to go back VERY SOON!

**TIPS** - You must have one meal at the restaurant at Casa 21 ...Soooooo Good!!! ...and at night, take a $15cab to the near by town of Cabarete ...Think Miami Beach with Dominican Prices!

~E/E

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank OhioStateKid
Kester
Reviewed 18 October 2009

We loved our stay in the Casa 21 B&B.
Marc and Saskia did a great job to host us in a perfect way.
The environment is fantastic with the Sosua bay, Cabarate and Peurto Plata nearby.
Also the crew is doing a great job, as well in the kitchen and in the rest of the B&B.
Especially a congratulation to Marc for the lovely seafood.
Also many thanks to David for his great coco loco's, cuba libre's, mojhito's, caiperinhas.
We come back,
Daisiy and Luc

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Luctim
Delray Beach, FL
Reviewed 16 September 2009

We were only in town for 3 days, but found this place to be just as amazing as all of the reviews. Saskia and Mark were so friendly, hospitable, and helpful. We stayed from Mon-Wed so we were only able to eat at their restaurant for lunch on wednesday and we were so thankful we got a chance. The food was amazing and again the service excellent. I would recommend this place to anyone. If you enjoy a more relaxing place that feels like home - then you will love Casa Veintiuno!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank CHL78
Israel
Reviewed 8 September 2009

My wife and I recently got married in Sosua and spent part of our vacation at Casa Veintiuno. We were welcomed warmly and the wonderful attention continued throughout our entire stay. I have spent much time in Sosua and the surrounding area, and this hotel was by far the most charming one I've seen at a great price. Clean, comfortable rooms and delicious food. A welcome and refreshing alternative to the large, all-inclusive type facilities. Highly recommend!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank galavant2009
pbartula
Reviewed 1 September 2009

I travel the world frequently and I own a travel web-site - and I can honestly say that I have never had better service at a hotel or B&B anywhere in the world! I've stayed in 2 different Ritz-Carlton's in the world in the last year and I far preferred Casa Veintiuno. From the moment that we arrived and had our bags unpacked for us, to the goose on our bed made from bath towels, to the candles that set the mood when we arrived in the room at night - the attention to detail was fantastic. The owners Marc and Saskia are great people and they are even better at what they do. Marc doesn't realize just how good a cook he is and even though we had planned on eating at various places in town, after one meal, we never ate anywhere else again. Saskia helped us to book all of our excursions and one day when the tour companies were booked for the excursion that we wanted to take, Marc and Saskia took us on the trip instead! That was an incredible level of customer service that we will never forget.

The property was very clean, and also very quiet - that is a rarity in Sosua. When we were relaxing by the pool, we felt like we were the only guests there. We walked around and saw some of the "all-inclusive" resorts that we had considered staying at when we were in Sosua, and that made us even more happy that we stayed at Casa Veintiuno instead. If you want to eat mediocre food, stay in a resort with 500 or so of your not-so-closest friends, and have a noisy crowded vacation, then you should stay at one of Sosua's all-inclusive resorts. But if you want a relaxing vacation with great food and service at a location where you will feel that the owners are your friends by the end of the trip, then you should not stay anywhere besides Casa Veintiuno! If Marc could have come home with us to be our personal chef, and Saskia could teach other innkeepers the definition of customer service, then the world would be a much better place!

I hope you enjoy your trip to Sosua.

Seetheworldwithus Peter!