“Lovely hotel”
Review of Sosua by the Sea

Sosua by the Sea
Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in Sosua
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We just got back from 10 days at Sosua by the Sea. We've been to Sosua many times but have never stayed here before. What a great place. Big, clean, comfortable rooms, excellent breakfast, cheerful friendly staff and quiet peaceful surroundings. We will definitely be back. All the staff are great but we'd like to give a shout out to Jonathan at reception. What a nice young man and very helpful.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank IMCanadian2

Reviewed 26 February 2014

My friend and I arrived late at night. After a long day of flying and then an almost 2 hour drive from the airport we were both looking forward to a hot shower and a cool room. Argh!!! No hot water in the shower and the air conditioner, although on, didn't send cool air out. I called the front desk and they immediately sent someone up. The trick to the hot water was to let the sink water run until it got hot...which took another 10 minutes, then turn on the shower. But there was no trick to the air conditioner. It just wasn't working. At half past midnight we were offered another room, but we had already unpacked and were in our pj's. No problem....this time two people were sent up to carry all our stuff to the room 'down the hall'. OK, now we had luke warm water ( doubt if any room had really hot water) and air conditioning that worked...off to sleep by 1:15 a m. At 5 a m we were woken by some of kind of alarm. Another call to the front desk. Another prompt visit to fix whatever that was.
We had an early morning dive, so we got up shortly after that and went for breakfast. What a great surprise that was. The dining area was practically on the water, the food was plentiful and varied and delicious.
Everyone was pleasant and helpful. I did go to the manager and ask for a discount since the first night was pretty horrendous. He discounted the room a little over 10% for each night. I did not think that was nearly enough.

Room Tip: Check the air conditioning and hot water before you unpack.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rootie429
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Staying in vh gran ventana we bought a scuba deep sea diving at the ressort. The tour included the trip by bus to Sosua, the equipment which was very used but functionnal and a seapro guide with 4 to 5 divers. We did a 50 ft dive for about 45 minutes and a second dive at 30 ft for about 40 minutes, awesome day, lots of fish and a very quiet place to dive with nice people go be, but dont forget you are in D.R. You have to tip for everything.......

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 28 October 2013

This hotel was recommended to us by Toni Green, a real estate agent in Las Terrenas. We drove up from Las Terrenas to visit Cabarete, Sosua, and Puerto Plata. The hotel wasn't too hard to find and it did have parking available. Lovely, older hotel but clean and comfortable. Being the low season (Sep/2013) we had no reservation and had no problem getting a room with a king size bed overlooking the pool and ocean. The room rate included breakfast and it was delicious and plentiful. Genesis, our server was wonderful and did a good job of remembering our names when greeting us. There is a table on the point overlooking the ocean, Sosua beach and Puerto Plata in the distance. You could have a very romantic dinner at this table in the evening if you wished. The pool is great but unfortunately when we arrived, we were told that the pool would be drained the next day for repairs. The hotel management did make arrangements with a hotel (Terra Linda/Don Andres) up the street for guests to use their pool if they wished. I thought this was very considerate of the management but we just swam in the ocean anyway. Bed was comfortable and the TV worked! There is a computer room with PC's available but the WiFi has a charge. $2 for 1 hour or $5 for the day. Also a small workout room. Best of all, this hotel has an elevator. It is small but it does the job. We enjoyed our stay (2 nights) here so much we opted for a 3rd night. No problemo. Jose Luis and Jonathan, the front desk clerks were very helpful and polite. Also if you need your laundry done, there is a lady just across from the hotel who does it for you. One load will cost you $300 to $400 pesos depending on its size and it is delivered back to your hotel within the same day. Her name is Therese and she is very nice although she doesn't speak much english. Had no problem with the language barrier getting her to understand what I wanted. Will definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family and will stay here again next time in the DR.

Room Tip: We were just offered the basic hotel room. Recommend viewing the room before you decide.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Irene H
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Hotel was charming, nice clean beach, staff was incredible, friendly, always bringing you drinks, offering you help. Nice quiet small resort. Buffet was good, with beautiful views, but the menu stayed the same pretty much the whole week.

Room Tip: All were good.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank carmorin
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Was my first time with my familly in this * Hotel* but for sure there will be no other and thanks God we were there for one night only. First of all when I made the reservation I said that was my wife birthday as well as our anyversary and not even a congratulation latter was placed in the room requested a room with 2 beds for my kids and this one had only one king, the hotel was empty and I realized that this hotel is recommended for singles not for families, anyway I was trying to make up to my wife and we would it have bettter time if we would stayed at home, I don't want to forget that we had the choice to have the all inclusive or not and I took it because of my kids but at chek in time I reallized this was going to be horrible they asked...
Do you want the lunch today or tomorrow? because if you take it today you can not take it tomorrow, any way I did not even pass by the buffet the next day because I dont want my kids to fell restricted I dont want to write more about it but, they should write on the web all the details and with capital letter " FOR SINGLES ONLY" I felt like I was paying for nothin.....

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Carlos198230
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Suite # 311 was spacious, very clean and had great ocean views several walls of windows. Two separate seating areas, one for TV the other more for conversation, a dining area, kitchen, a bedroom and bathroom with a separate sink, dressing and vanity area. One set of windows had a nice view of the large swimming pool.

Comfortable and quality bedding. Great value. We opted for the breakfast only option so that we could venture out and try different places for lunch and dinner.

Although the kitchen could use some updating, it didn't bother us as we didn't cook. I truly enjoyed the private beach and the crystal clear blue waters.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple