“Charms By The Sea”

Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Sosua
New York City
“Charms By The Sea”
Reviewed 3 November 2010

One need not look any further for an enjoyable, relaxing vacation near the center of everything, yet far removed from the hustle and bustle that defines the hectic atmosphere of charming Sosua, than Sosua By the Sea Boutique Hotel. Situated as this little gem of a hotel is on its own semi-private beach, it is an oasis of calm, with leaning palm trees surrounding a good-sized pool with a soothing jacuzzi. The restaurant, perched above the crashing waves of the ocean below, serves Dominican dishes every bit as delightful as the view of a setting sun over Mt. Isabel in the distance.

The management and staff are all courtesy, professional and full of that unique Dominican personality - engaging and lively - and very eager to satisfy the whims of their guests with smiles to spare.

There is a small gym facility (desperately in need of an upgrade, granted) but still well-equipped for maintaining the physique in between savoring ice-cold Presidentes served at the on-site bar where bachata energizes the atmosphere.

If you're seeking an All-Inclusive hotel without the impersonal service often inherent therein, I would recommend SBTS. It is as charming as the gorgeous Sea it overlooks...

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank BrooklynFlyGuy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Los Angeles
Reviewed 6 September 2010

I chose this hotel based on a friend's reccommendation, & he was right on the mark with Sousa by the Sea. I tend to travel to the islands for the beach & water sports scene by day, enticing new foods & cultural experiences, & some music & nightlife . . . and I don't like to stay in the middle of the action with a noisy beach by day & loud music blasting all night. Instead, I like to stay at a resort on the beach that's away from the crowd & noise . . . Sousa by the Sea is that ideal resort!!!

Situated a little outside from the main part of town & the main beach, Playa Sousa . . . . . SBTS has its own private beach & its guest can share one of the neighboring Casa Marina Resort beach fronts as well. A decently kept 3-Star resort with only around 90 rooms, its small enough to maintain that friendly, family kind of atmosphere. The hotel's G.M., Marc does his best to please his guests, & the staff (if your friendly enough as well) will remember your name & take care of your needs . . . .

The Room: I stood on the 4th floor, in a single, & I paid for the All-Inclusive package. For a 3-Star resort, the room was adequate, basic queen size bed, comfortable, maid change sheets daily. A small restroom & shower/tub, clean towels everyday, as well as hot water with a strong flow of water. Older small color television with cable, over 30 channels. Under the television is a mini-fridge. An open closet area near the entrance, as well as 2 chairs & a small table. The room was air-con, & came with a ceiling fan, 3 sets of small double door windows that opened up to let the summer Atlantic breeze . . . best view of the Atlantic Ocean in the resort is from the 4th floor. Very basic, very average room, the rooms could use an updating of furniture, flat television screens, re-do the restrooms sink & tile . . . but, again, for a 3-Star, very acceptable. The Single room was better than most of the rooms that I've stayed at similar 3-Star resorts in Southeast Asia.

The Food: the daily buffet from the main beach restaurant good . . . My most consistent meal was the morning breakfest, & like most other island beach resorts, they had a decent array of fruit, mostly watermelon, cantaloupe, strawberries, breads, cereals, juices, pancakes, french toast, scrambled & fried eggs, bacon/saussage, and the omelette guy cranking up omelttes of your choice. I ate lunch & dinner a few times during my stay, & they seemed to always have a chicken, beef, & fish option on the menu, one night they roasted a pig that was so, so tender . . . . Again plenty of fruit, & salads, & white rice & beans . . . Over-all, the food was better than I expected, I certainly enjoyed my meals, I was never left wanting more, I was left full & satisfied.

The Resort: I enjoyed the ocean front beach access daily, I loved the opportunity to wake up each morning & walk out to the private beach, lay out mat & do my morning yoga at the water's edge, then dive in for a quick swim, yes, just another day in paradise. As for the resorts 2 beaches, the private beach on the SBTS side is gorgeous, you can go for a nice 1/2 mile walk on the sand. Many of the area's tourist dive & snorkel boats come to this beach & set anchor. The neighboring public beach at Casa Marina is great for catching cool little waves & meeting people. Plus these 2 beaches are away from the hoard of "Playa Sousa Hawkers" . . The resort's swimming pool was always clean, nice & fresh, & just large enough to find your own private little spot or make new friends. There always seemed to be enough lounge chairs with umbrellas, with enough sun or shade for you. The restaurant & bar staff are always ready to serve you your never ending all-inclusive drinks, the Presidente's are always ice cold & the rum drinks are made with a kick . . . The staff always seemed ready to help or give assistance, if you made the point of meeting them & getting their names, they always remembered your name & your drink (lol), or were ready to assist you at the front desk with any requests. . . The resort's small but efficient internet room has about computer's, always opened, & always working . . . The small, rather outdated workout room is in dire need of a good renovating, most the equipment was not in working condition. . . .

Over-all, I really enjoyed my stay at Sousa by the Sea, & my first visit to the Puerto Plata region of the Dominican Republic. SBTS is an average 3-Star resort in terms of rooms, but the friendly, family atmosphere, good food, & peacefulness more that makes up for what might be lacking in average rooms. What makes SBTS ideal for me is the beach front property, access to water sports, clean, nice size swimming pool & hot tub, good food, friendly staff, & a relaxing, calm, oasis away from the crowds of Playa Sosua. . . I would diffenitely & do certainly plan to stay there again . .

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
8 Thank streetscaper69
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 September 2010

I stayed at Sosua by the Sea for 4 days. Please do not stay here if you’re looking forward to the following: Fun staff, some sort of music, big pool, wide selection of food (although the small selections were very good), and able to hang out by the 1 & only bar after 11pm (when quiet hours start, the guards will tell you to sssshhh). It’s an extremely small hotel, although the rooms are a decent size. The rooms almost feel like you’re staying over someone’s house vs. an actual hotel room – which depending on your taste you can take it either way. Oh, and the rooms don’t have irons and you have to go to the front desk each time you need ironing and leave a $20 deposit for same day use. And to use the safe, that’s another like $10 that you won’t get back. Also, they claim to have room service - & when I called to place an order, I was told to walk to the restaurant instead because no one was available to deliver the food!!! The fridge does not get restocked daily with bottled water, so hold on to the 1 bottle given upon arrival and continue to refill it. I think this hotel was too overpriced for the services offered, or lack thereof.

This is an ideal place for someone who wants a very QUIET vacation with no interruptions.

I have been to DR many many times and this was my least favorite stay and area. I would never return to Sosua because I don’t’ enjoy fearing my life and seeing so many prostitutes. It was very sad to see such a beautiful country that offers so much to see & do be tainted by low class Europeans soliciting young prostitutes. If you are looking to stay somewhere with a “beachy” vibe and quaint hotels – please research Cabarete. I was very upset that I didn’t stay here instead; there are tons of little cute shops and restaurants along the beach, & it felt super safe. And for those who complain about the Dominican cuisine not being up to par to your delicate taste buds, stop being cheap and book a stay at one of DR’s finest hotels and you would not be disappointed. Or just go to France or Italy and shut up.

Oh – do book horse back riding with Chiquito (he can be found at the beach or just ask the front desk for him), he provides an AMAZING experience that you won’t regret and truly enjoy!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sea366
chatham
Reviewed 3 August 2010

Exactly what I was looking for..relaxing, beautiful secluded beach, busy when I wanted busy. First solo trip ever and the people were so friendly & helpful. Chiquito - man on beach with horseback riding tours - helped me with everything and I even took his horse ride. It was the highlight of my trip! It's a MUST! Safe, fun, very local, beautiful scenery, great local lunch and fast ride over the mountain & through the river. Definitely coming back to do it again with Chiquito! Hotel is walk to everything. I did breakfast only as I like to explore the towns and eat locally. Glad I did. Ride into Cabarete for dinner on the beach. Planning my next visit as we speak!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank robinnestler
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 24 June 2010

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel. We were there for 9 nights and purchased the all inclusive package. What a terrific bargain. The staff is absolutely marvelous with the guests and they seem to have met our every whim. Sure, the creature comforts were missing, however, remember, this is only a 3 star hotel. As others have said before me, yes some things needed updating, but overall it was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank yleekyot
London
Reviewed 27 February 2010

I was going to attend a course in Dominican Republic, and as part of the course fees the organisers booked us into the Sosua By the Sea Boutique Hotel. I travelled out on Thomson Airlines from London Gatwick on Thursday 18th February and back again on Thursday 25th. I elected to upgrade to Premium for an extra 180 pounds round trip.

I am glad that I did, as the seats were leather armchairs, and all the food and drink was free. The people in the back had to pay for everything including the Water.

Arriving in Puerto Plata, the hotel is just 20 minutes away. After checking in I was shown to my room. A huge double bed and windows overlooking the pool and the Sea.

Room was very clean with a dressing, wash room leading to a private bath/shower and WC. I found that if I had a shower after 8.00am then the water was only tepid. So I made sure that I showered early every morning

We had our seminar/course sitting in the Beachfront Restaurant, and the views over the Bay were magnificent.

In the evenings we were free to do as we wished, and most of us spent time at the Beach Bar drinking Cuba Libra or Pina Collada Cocktails or the excellent 'El Presidente' Beer

We found the food at the hotel to be wonderful. It was all inclusive in our room rates, ands there was always a good selection of Western/Dominican Foods. One night there was a BBQ and the Hamburgers and Steaks were very good. On another night they had a Mexican Buffet, with Tacos, enchilladas and Beans as well as many other dishes.

Enjoyed the break as well as the business trip. Wish I could have stayed longer and will definitely go back again soon.

Probably not a good hotel for young couples with Children, as not to many activities for them

The Staff were attentive and couldn't do enough for the guests. Very Impressive

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank angelesguyLondon
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 9 February 2010

Going for a short break from the West-European winter, I booked the Sosua By The Sea Hotel in the first week of February 2010 as part of a package deal with the Dutch company Arke and a flight operated by Arkefly. The hotel is simple, but adequate for a short stay. The staff were not always friendly, but did try to answer all my questions correctly. So maybe it was there limited knowledge of the English language that obstructed some of them to talk to the guests. During the entire week the manager didn't introduce himself. I always like hotels that do offer that personal touch. And the occupancy rate was less than 25%, so it would not have been to much effort for the manager to greet his guests upon their arrival. I stayed in a room with two double beds and that is more than enough when travelling alone. Every day the cleaning staff visited the room with mixed results. One day the floor would be spotless and on another day my socks were covered with dust and hairs after walking over the floor of my room after a visit from the cleaning staff. As in many hotels these days, you have to ask for a change of sheets and towels as a part of the conservation issue. But seven nights with the same sheets and towels is a bit to much. Sosua By The Sea has a nice pool and is close to a small beach. A larger beach is within walking distance. The pool could have been cleaned more often and contained a lot of leaves and dead insects. The choice of food and drinks at breakfast was adequate. I didn't book the all-inclusive and made the right choice there. I had lunch at the hotel only once and it was a buffet style meal with a very limited offer. And for a price that would get you two meals in one of the many restaurants in the village. After a couple of days buffet style meals with limited choice could be very boring, so avoid the all-inclusive. There are many restaurants with good food within 1 kilometer. And they are all very cheap. Try Casa Valeria close to the hotel. For a couple of drinks I especially recommend Eddy's Sports Bar two streets from the hotel. A Cuba Libre for 50 Pesos and a local beer Brahma or Presidente (both very good) for 70 Pesos. In the hotel you pay 100 Pesos for every cocktail if you haven't booked all-inclusive. Overall the Sosua By The Sea Hotel is a good choice when you don't want to spend to much and don't expect luxury. It is a simple base for exploring Sosua and the surrounding area. The offer of daytrips in Sosúa is great. As a man travelling alone you can expect many offers from the local women for a lot of services, but they accept without fuss when you tell them that you are not interested. Try to avoid flying with an airline company that has a stopover in Punta Cana. The airport there is a real tourist trap where they try to charge you $5 or more for a beer. And there is no airconditioning (just big fans) and the security staff are deliberatly working very slow so you need a beer after dealing with them. The security staff checks the cabin luggage that has to be taken from the plane during the transfer on the way in and not on the way out. Strange, because before boarding the plane their colleagues in Puerto Plata did exactly the same and what can a passenger do with their cabin luggage on a plane during a thirty minute flight? So, the slow time consuming proces of the check can only be to make the passengers thirsty and willing to pay for the overpriced drinks during the wait. Arkefly does have a stopover on the return flight from Puerto Plata to Amsterdam, and it is terrible way to end your holiday.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo