Message from TripAdvisor:
TripAdvisor has grounds to investigate that individuals or entities associated with or having an interest in this property may have attempted to interfere with traveller reviews and/or the Popularity Index for this property. Please take this into consideration when researching your travel plans. We make our best efforts to identify suspicious content and are always working to improve the processes we use to assess traveller reviews.

“Not great, but good enough for us”

Casa Marina Beach & Reef
Ranked #26 of 33 Hotels in Sosua
Hamilton, Canada
“Not great, but good enough for us”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2010

My husband and I went to Sosua at the end of Feb on a last minute getaway. We ended up getting the trip for $600 a person. Talk about a deal.

The good:
The food was good and always being restocked. They had a great little snack bar in the middle of the hotel that served up hot dogs, salads, and burgers most of the day. They always had activities going on but didn't seem to get many peoples interests. The grounds were well kept and the pools clean. The rooms were cleaned daily and always had fresh sheets. Across the road theres a baseball field with games going on every night to watch. You are litterally a hop, skip and a jump into town. Which is great if you like to explore. They always have a great casino with a free shuttle there and back for the tourists to enjoy.

The bad:
The entertainment didnt start till 10pm so if you wanted to enjoy it sometimes you were already falling asleep by then.
The resort closes down at 10pm and you can only get drinks at the disco after that. Unless you want to pay for them. They also serve no food after 8pm. So if your a night eater like me your going to die. hah.
The beaches are starting to be washed away and have really bad tides due to the reefs around them.
The pools are FREEZING.

All in all we had a great time. I dont think I would return to this resort but if your just looking for a cheap get away with a friend then you'll have a great time. If your looking for a trip with family I would spend the extra money and go somewhere else. I wouldnt bring my daughter here.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2010

This is a great resort to stay at. You do get what you pay for and more. This was our 3rd visit. Everyone there is really nice and friendly, from front desk, to entertainers to maids. Tips do go a long way, these people work so hard for so little and love what they do, they take care of you. I have been to many resorts but the people who work here don't compare. Grounds are great, food is good, if you need something all you need to do is ask. The beech part of resort is closed till Nov for reno's and the new rooms are amazing! Great beds, linens, and flat screens. The resort is pretty empty due to the Volcanic ash but it does not matter, great times to be had anyway. You will not go wrong, wish I went for longer and I plan to go back in a couple of months.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tex02
cardiff
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2010

Hotel is basic, but has lovely surrondings and lovely views from over by the jacuzzis looking over the sea. Service is great and all bar staff, people working in resturant and all the entertainment team do their very best and keep you entertained and well looked after. Food was great, so much selection and loved the morning omelettes.

Went with my girlfriend and were both 22 at the time and had 2 weeks of relaxation, sun and got spolit with all food and drink. After reading reviews I before hand I was abit wary, but overall was very happy with my trip and even though I wouldn't return in the near future (as distance away from UK) was great to have gone to the dom rep and this resort and would definetely go back in the distant future.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
derbyshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2010

excellant location,rooms are a little dated but who stays in their rooms. staff are friendly. food was good lots to choose from. sosua night life is very good there is something for everyone,resturants,bars clubs,etc! great holiday.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank adele111
Worksop UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2010

Just got back from 2 weeks in the casa marina reef, the hotel is ok although half of it is closed, and the half we were staying in was beeing renovated around us, the food is a little repetative but u wont starve. the entertainment is ok with good shows on nights. sosua as a place is a pimps paradise thousands of prostitutes walkin the streets, and even being brought into the hotel by the canadian and american tourists. The time share people also pester u all day.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2010

We will keep it simple, PRO's location, beach and weather. CON's Food terrible, drinks terrible, Rooms terrible, Noise at night in the hotel and slamming doors terrible, Annoying staff (who don't take no for an answer) trying to get you to sign up to buy property. Broken sunbeds, it wasn't the case of getting to the beach first but getting a sunbed that wasn't broken! The amount of locals visiting at the weekends who seemed to have priority over guests especially by the staff. My partner and I always go all-inclusive and we must say that this was the worst we have ever had. Yes, it is only 3 star but I think you could actually put it down as 2. Half the resort was actually closed, not for refurb which you wouldn't have minded, but because they say it was not high season! Final word, the 'speciality' restaurants, don't bother.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheBubbasLondon

Travellers are raving about these Sosua hotels

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2010

I stayed at the Casa Marina Reef in the first week of March for my hen party, with 5 other 20-something ladies. We had a really fun time - with a few downfalls.

ARRIVAL:
We arrived around 10:00 PM. Check-in was pretty quick, though the guys at the front desk are generally grumpy (when we arrived and on other days). We had triple occupancy, so between the 6 of us we were in 2 rooms. The rooms can be a bit difficult to find in the dark bc the signs are etched out of wood (from what I recall). Our rooms were originally across from one another, but the other room had a lot of problems and they ended up switching. Hallway to the room is a bit creepy, murder-hotel like. But as they days went on and the more we drank, everything seemed to look better and better.

ROOMS:
Our room was decent but dated, and our balcony didn't overlook anything. The bathroom definitely needs a facelift. The shower water pressure was fine - that was the only good thing about the bathroom. Beds are old and squeaky, but serve their purpose. We had a TV with cable in our room, but front desk is supposed to give you a remote (which they didn't). Room comes with a safe but you have to pay $15 to get the lock for it.

Our friends' room was terrible. The sink was leaking and caused for the bathroom to be flooded. The "non-smoking" room smelled like smoke, and the air conditioning wasn't working. The TV had also been removed - there was only a wire hanging out. Trying to get someone to help them was almost impossible. They asked for a new room and were rejected and told "the hotel is full", even though it wasn't. It took 3 hours, 2 janitorial visits, and a plumber to confirm the sink had a leak, before management finally gave them a new room. Everyone was pretty grumpy and skeptical by 2AM.

NOLITOURS:
This was our tour company and the rep was wonderful. She was appalled by what happened with the hotel room and the staff, and gave us an extended checkout (so we were able to stay in the room on the last day until the bus came to take us to the airport).

LOCATION:
This resort is in Sosua - NOT Puerto Plata. PP is close by. It's pretty much in the middle of downtown, and the outside of the resort may look a but sketchy, but everyone who went out said it was fine - just be smart. There were hookers about on the streets, and I'm pretty sure even some on the resort accompanying guests. It didn't bother me though.

RESORT GROUNDS AND FACILITIES:
The grounds are actually really, really nice compared to the rooms. The grass is beautiful and there are lots of palm trees. The hotel is split into 2 sides - Reef and Beach, but there is not division between the two. You can go on either side as you please. There are tonnes of bars and pools to go around, and also a few jacuzzis off the reef cliff (which we didn't try because it RAINED ALL WEEK for us).

There's internet on the computers by the front desk, but you have to pay for it. There's also a convenience store with snacks, sunscreen and souvenirs. They only take pesos and things were pricey.

The ocean - don't bother going in. You could surf on those tides. We went in the first day and got our butts kicked by the water. The red flag was up every day. The beach itself is ok - no soft white sand, only hot brown sand, but it sufficed. They provide you with tonnes of loungers.

FOOD:
The food was mediocre - I would say that Cuban resorts I've been to had better food and variety, even though most people say Cuba has the worst food. At the buffet, there is not much selection; luckily I always managed to find a couple of things that I could eat. Lunch was decent - the fries were amazing, burgers and pizza, etc. were fine. I have to say their cheese is really strange, it looks like rubber. But I ate it every day anyway.

DRINKS:
The resort has awesome slushy machines that make strawberry banana slush and a pina colada one. Problem is that when it gets hot, the slushy ice melts and makes it into a watery drink. There's lots of booze, Presidente Beer is ok. Make sure to try Mama Juana!!

They have 3 a la carte restaurants which you can book (at the front desk between 9:30 and 11AM only... sigh). You get 3 nights to eat at an a la carte. We ate at all of them - Italian, Seafood and Mexican. If I were to go back, I wouldn't bother with the Italian and Seafood. The Mexican restaurant was really delicious though.

ENTERTAINMENT + DISCO:
We went to the disco every other night and always had a good time. It's nothing special and the bar is small. Too bad they play the same music over and over again - if you're drunk enough you won't even notice. The nightly shows were actually pretty fun and entertaining. There's a guy named Puchi who works there and does a wild impression of Shaggy. He was on stage during Karaoke night singing every single Shaggy hit known to man.

STAFF:
The staff was really fun and do a good job of interacting with guests and entertaining them. We especially loved Medina of the Animation team and Vladimir, one of the bartenders.

We paid about $725 for the 1 week and met some people who paid even less, some more. I definitely wouldn't pay any more than $725 to go again - you certainly get what you pay for. What lacked in accommodations + food, the booze, luckily the staff and of course your own company made up for. I don't know if I would go back, but I certainly had fun this time around. If you can see pass the rooms and the food, and it's a good price, I think you should go. If you're looking for more luxury then I would say spend a bit more money and look elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sosua
Hotel Sosua Sunrise
Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
#8 of 41 in Puerto Plata
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,176 reviews

Been to Casa Marina Beach & Reef? Share your experiences!